Hot Hitting Auburn takes on #2 Arizona State

After having a pair of midweek games rained out, Auburn flew to Tempe, Ariz., on Thursday as it prepares for a three-game series against No. 2 Arizona State. The two teams will square off at ASU’s Packard Stadium at 6:30pm MT on Friday and Saturday and 1pm on Sunday.

Auburn has shuffled its weekend rotation for the series and will send So. LHP Cory Luckie (0-0, 3.38 ERA) to the hill on Friday for his first start of the season. He was scheduled to start Tuesday’s game against Alabama but the rainout allowed Pawlowski to move him to Friday.

Jr. LHP Cole Nelson (3-0, 1.40 ERA) has been moved up a day in the rotation to the Saturday start.

Arizona State is going to counter Auburn with a pair of right-handers, sending junior Seth Blair (2-0, 3.38) to the mound on Friday and junior Merrill Kelly (3-0, 4.20) on Saturday.

Neither team has announced a Sunday starter.

Head Coach John Pawlowski

On the series…

“This is a big series for us to gauge where we are. The competition level is ratcheted up this weekend when you are talking about facing a team that is No. 2 in the country. They are very talented and this is a good test. This is what playing in the SEC is all about, going on the road and playing good teams in tough environments.”

On switching up the rotation…

“With Cory Luckie not going on Tuesday, we wanted to make sure he had our next start. Dexter (Price) was supposed to go yesterday and that didn’t work out either so what we decided to do was slide Cory to Friday night. We are also going to slide Cole from Sunday to Saturday and then try and figure out Sunday after we get a read of what kind of club they have, whether they are lefties or righties. The first two night will determine who we go with on Sunday.”

On playing at Arizona State, where he was an assistant coach for a year (1999)…

“It’s always exciting to come back to a place where you have some roots. This is a great place and they have a great tradition. They gave me an opportunity and I am very appreciative for the opportunity. I look forward to it and I know our players are excited about it.”

Jr. LHP Cory Luckie

On getting the Friday night start…

“I was a little surprised at first but I am also pretty happy. I am starting to feel more comfortable on the mound and it’s a little more comfortable for me to be a starter; I get a little more time to warm up. I am excited and I am happy to get out there and help my team.”

On facing No. 2 Arizona State…

“Arizona State is an all-around good team. I think they are batting right around what we are (Auburn - .373; Arizona State - .372). As a pitcher that’s a little scary, but as far as match-ups go, we might go in there and we might match up great with them. Baseball is a weird game. We are going to come in here and try to get a series win and start moving this program forward a little more.”

On what the seniors on the team have told him about the past matchups with Arizona State…

“They said it was really heated and a really competitive series. I know the west coast guys are perceived to be a little more into the game than the east coast guys are, so it’s a little different kind of baseball. We might adapt a little more and it might be a little more heated, but we are looking forward to it.”

This will be a good series to give us a measuring stick on where we are.  I am excited about this team.  If we can take 1 out of 3 and be close in the other two then we have a great deal to be excited about for the rest of the season.  If would create some huge confidence for a team that has got to mesh together to take us back to that elite level.

The key to this series is going to be our relief pitching.  The last 2 games, 2 of our our starters have carried PERFECT games through 3 innings, and the other starter (Cole Nelson, who didn't even pitch his best) gave up 2 runs, 7 hits, 1walk, and 8 strikeouts in 7 innings

I fully expect Creede Simpson, hunter Morris, and Brian Fletcher to keep swinging hot bats.  Just remember, our 8 spot hitter is hitting .415 this season. 8 spot

Archived