Who do you think

auburn4ever

And also, being practical is being mediocre. Let's just get who we can get and when he doesn't win, we will fire him and repeat the same process. The movie Groundhog Day comes to mind.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's cool Mike. But don't say a word if the new coach ends up being mediocre. I'm just saying, let's think outside the box. At least try! That's like choosing a Geo Metro over a Porsche and then complaining about how much you hate the Metro when you could have paid the money and been happier.

In the case of a car, you can pay the money and get a better car. My point is that paying the money won't bring in the guys you are talking about. There are other considerations. If they  already have plenty of money and are at a basketball power where they can win, what do we have to offer them?

WE ARE AUBURN. That's what we have to offer. Seriously? Until we start thinking of ourselves in a different light, we will always be second.

WE ARE AUBURN. That's what we have to offer. Seriously? Until we start thinking of ourselves in a different light, we will always be second.

You can't make Rick Patino agree to come here by chanting WE ARE AUBURN. If that worked, Marcus Lattimore would be joining Dyar in our backfield next year.

777 they're happy being mediocre. Let them get their next high school coach and repeat the process over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

If Auburn sucks and we have to continue sucking because we suck in the past, why did we even fire Lebo to hire another high school coach?

It will really suck to build this nice arena and put another Lebo in it.

777 they're happy being mediocre. Let them get their next high school coach and repeat the process over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I sense a whole lot of inexperience with the way the world works in this thread. Facing reality and accepting mediocrity are two vastly different things.

The likes of, say, Patino aren't coming here just because we offer to pay them more than what they are getting elsewhere. For example, last season Georgia offered Mike Anderson 2.1 mill a year, quite  raise over the 1.5 he makes at Missouri. He turned them down because he likes it at Missouri.

I suspect that the coach's shoe and TV deals alone at Kentucky are more than the total of TV, shoe, salary and whatever else an Auburn coach would get. Simply "opening the wallet" won't get the job done.

To summarize, Auburn can and hopefully will succeed in hiring an outstanding coach for our basketball program. That, however, will  happen by exercising due diligence in the search process, not by trying to write a bigger check than the next guy to attract a rock-star coach. The rock-star coaches are already in rock-star places. Whoever comes to Auburn will have to be willing to go to work.

If Auburn sucks and we have to continue sucking because we suck in the past, why did we even fire Lebo to hire another high school coach?

It will really suck to build this nice arena and put another Lebo in it.

Times are changing in Auburn Basketball.  I agree, if the Athletic Dept. was happy with mediocre now, Lebo would not have been fired.  I think we are turning a corner and I honestly believe that Jacobs is looking for a step up.  Will a good, proven Head Coach listen and be convinced that Auburn Basketball is changing with the new arena?  We will see in the next few weeks when we start seeing names of coaches who are being interviewed.  Prove me right JJ!!!! 

In a previous coaching search in another sport at AU,  the Birmingham News listed prospects such as Tom Osborne, Joe Paterno, John Robinson, Barry Switzer, etc,.  Eveyone said "WOW".  Instead, we ended up with an unknown coach from Wyoming named Pat Dye.

Good point 987, it seems like every post I have read shoots down the really big names. It's always, "You are crazy if you think he (insert name) will come here." The people who think small, are the very ones who always complain.

Tell me why Rick Patino will leave Louisville, a basketball power in basketball country, to come to Auburn. He wouldn't even be able to recruit at or attend AAU camps in Alabama because of permanent restrictions on Auburn. Do you seriously thing waving an extra wad of money will bring a guy like that down here?

We all want our next coach to be successful at Auburn. Try remembering this line of the Auburn Creed: "I believe this is a practical world". There's nothing practical about the thought that waving a bunch of money under the nose of some guy that's already rich will bring him here.

We don`t have any permament restrictions on Auburn. Folks need to do some research first.

Pitino may not be through with his court case involving a woman who tried to blackmail him after an alleged and admitted rendezvous in a restaurant he owns. Somethings are better left in Louisville.He plays in the Big East just defeated Syracuse for the second time this year. Someone finding logic in him leaving there to come here escapes me and I'm glad. I would love a name that rings the doorbell of recruits before he gets there, but heck no reason not to argue over speculation.Wow! :dunno::banghead:

I'm just saying, let's not settle. Make a Pitino, or Bill Self or a Roy Williams turn us down. At least it will show that we want a great coach and are willing to go after the best. We can't just sit back and say, there's no point in asking the top coaches, let's not even try. What if Michael Jordan said, well I got cut so what's the point in even trying to play basketball again?

I'm just saying, let's not settle. Make a Pitino, or Bill Self or a Roy Williams turn us down. At least it will show that we want a great coach and are willing to go after the best. We can't just sit back and say, there's no point in asking the top coaches, let's not even try. What if Michael Jordan said, well I got cut so what's the point in even trying to play basketball again?

I see your point but at the same time how bad does it look to have a long list of folks saying no. While you are out chasing folks you have no chance to get; someone you really want may already be talking to other schools and you lose out on them also.

That's a very good point AUclong. I'm not saying to offer every bigtime coach, but I just want us to get back to the Porter and Robinson days, I couldn't get enough of AU b'ball in those days.

That's a very good point AUclong. I'm not saying to offer every bigtime coach, but I just want us to get back to the Porter and Robinson days, I couldn't get enough of AU b'ball in those days.

I, too, couldn't get enough of Auburn basketball during the Porter and Robinson days,.....that was until I sadly

found out that our method of securing these types of players wasn't exactly kosher, if you know what I mean.

Everything was going along so great then, we were undefeated in SEC play, and actually dominating everyone

we were playing. Then I remember things started unraveling with David Adams leaving the team,(back-up center

to Mamadou N'gye,...spelling?....). We had a tremendous amount of energy going then and should have been a

final four contestant, if not winning it all, only to go to the second round of the tournament. Remember that

by now Porter also had left the team, same reason as Adams,.....agent related. By this time it was all to clear

that we, thanks to Cliff Ellis, were playing with some very questionable players. I know we recieved some

punishment for this but we were lucky we didn't get the entire book thrown at us. I've said all of this to say

that I want more than anything else to win at Auburn,......basketball,....especially football,....but I want to do

it the right way by obeying and following the NCAA rules! This is where our Auburn Creed

comes in! If we're going to have one, and we do, let's follow it wholeheartedly so that when we finally do win

that illustrious title we can really relish and enjoy the fruits of our labor! I know this is long,....but  :wareagle:

I sense a whole lot of inexperience with the way the world works in this thread. Facing reality and accepting mediocrity are two vastly different things.

The likes of, say, Patino aren't coming here just because we offer to pay them more than what they are getting elsewhere. For example, last season Georgia offered Mike Anderson 2.1 mill a year, quite  raise over the 1.5 he makes at Missouri. He turned them down because he likes it at Missouri.

I suspect that the coach's shoe and TV deals alone at Kentucky are more than the total of TV, shoe, salary and whatever else an Auburn coach would get. Simply "opening the wallet" won't get the job done.

To summarize, Auburn can and hopefully will succeed in hiring an outstanding coach for our basketball program. That, however, will  happen by exercising due diligence in the search process, not by trying to write a bigger check than the next guy to attract a rock-star coach. The rock-star coaches are already in rock-star places. Whoever comes to Auburn will have to be willing to go to work.

[/quo

Auburn is not UGA. Also, Anderson is from Birmingham Alabama. Also, JJ had nothing to do with the crap that occured under Bairds (SP?) watch.

To the guy who said Pitinos gf wouldn't like him moving all the way to Auburn,have you seen the girls on campus? Lol.not trying to start an argument or disagree.Just having high hopes.Auburn can hire a big time bball coach.IMO

To the guy who said Pitinos gf wouldn't like him moving all the way to Auburn,have you seen the girls on campus? Lol.not trying to start an argument or disagree.Just having high hopes.Auburn can hire a big time bball coach.IMO

Yeah, been there many times, like for four years :dunno: Statement about Pitino was meant to say he had plenty of baggage I hoped would stay in Louisville, including him. Want a big name coach too,just not one involved in an FBI investigation :laugh:

I do believe it's absolutely crazy to think or dream that Rick Pitino would come to Auburn. On top of that he

currently is loaded down with "baggage" that we certainly don't need at Auburn, namely his admitted affair. He

has already shown to me that his character is in serious question,.....( a man who will cheat on his wife will do

anything!) I do have the confindence that JJ will effectively narrow this search down to the right man for the

job, as he certainly did with the hiring of Coach Chizik. Let's bind together and focus our attention on helping to

support JJ and the "powers which be" so that we can accomplish this. This crazy talk about Pitino sounds a lot

like our mortal enemies in TTown. If those kind of unchanneled emotions are not brought under control then the

next thing you know someone will be saying,.....what about Phil Jackson,.....Larry Bird,.......Michael Jordan,.....

and so on! I still think, as I've posted earlier, we would be more productive and realistic to focus on Sam Mitchell

or Barbee. With our "92.5 million dollar" facility and the commitment we've made to put Auburn basketball back on

the map,....somewhere out there is our next "Gene Chizik" type individual for our basketball program!

I think we need to set our sights high. We need to hire a "Pitino" caliber coach. It's funny how some on this board read half of a previous post and start typing away on a reply without ever reading the entire comment. I would like to see Mitchell come to Auburn, I have a good feeling about this guy. We have got to reestablish our connections with AAU directors though. 

I'm crazy for thinking Auburn can hire a big time BB coach? I'm a bammer because I want my beloved Auburn to be it's best? I wont write what I think you are.

I think you're crazy for settling for mediocrity. Some of us would like to see Auburn be the best it can be, if i'm crazy for that you can kiss it.

Don't sweat it 987, anybody who will say something stupid like, "Anybody who will cheat on his wife will do anything." doesn't hold much stock with me. Whoever is without sin, (kreagle) cast the first stone.

Archived