Your opinion on Tubby Smith?

aurules16

I think we could do a lot better, but also think we could do a lot worse. We would be yup and down with Smith, but would at least make the tournament from time to time. Personally I would be a bit disappointed as I think we could get a younger more consistent head coach..

More consistent?  Seriously?

Can you get more consistent than being in the postseason every year the last 17 years, with 4 different schools?  16 of the 17 were to the NCAA tourney.

How do you get a more consistent winner than what he has proven with his record?

I just do not understand what you mean.  Not flaming you, just pointing out that Tubby is about as consistent as you can get.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tubby is going to cost a tad more than $2 mill.  He is at $1.75 now and I think is scheduled for a small raise.  He will bring one or more of his sons with him (that will be the youth and energy factor-IMO).  As far as football is concerned, what about CGC has made you think he even pays attention to the other things that are going on in the Athletic Dept.?  He is concentrating on building an excellent football program right now!!!  We would be paying for Tubby's PROVEN track record.  If CGC goes 9-3 or 10-2 this year (very do-able) he will get a big raise and would be making more than Tubby.  CGC is focused and doesn't care what the bball coach is making. 

One last thing, how awesome is it that we are able to even speculate on greatness in both football and basketball in the same year at AU?!?  I am so ready for next football season!!

I think Tubby Smith or Sam Mitchell would be a good choice. I have never thought too highly of Anderson. It would be nice to hire a proven head coach since Auburn has never hired one in Basketball.

It's all about business and a return on our investment.  Looking at FB and BB separately, you have to assume that we will be looking at a salary of $1M plus for a BB coach.  If the incremental cost to get a Tubby Smith is another $1M or thereabout, will he return more than that in BB program revenues?  My belief is the answer would be an emphatic "YES!"  Now, that would put him about equal with FB HC Chizik.  In BB, the vast majority of the coaching salaries still go to the HC.  In FB, the trend is towards paying the coaching staff higher salaries and Jacobs and Chizik seem to clearly understand this.  If Chizik is as astute as I believe him to be, he would welcome this because this would raise his potential for salary increases for he and his staff assuming the team performs as most of us expect because this will increase revenues.  So, were I Jacobs, I would have a chat with Chizik (if this hasn't already been done) and then open up the checkbook for Tubby Smith!

Whoever we get, I will support.  I just believe that hiring a Tubby Smith will give the program instant credibility at a time when we could leverage recruiting like never before.  In BB, unlike FB, one or two studs can make all the difference in the world (see this year's Kentucky team).  Picture, if you will, a program known for having an expected "one and done" type guy every year or two... virtually always in the picture for the SEC west, the SEC and the NCAA tournament.  I believe this can happen.

Just my two cents...

:wareagle:

I just read where Tubby Smith has been to the NCAA tourney 17 of his 19 years as a coach. I would love to see Auburn get him.

I would structure his salary, where he could make over 2.5 Million Dollars, if Auburn makes the sweet sixteen, then an additional bump at the final four, and of course a nice bonus for pulling off a miracle NC win. Yes right now most Auburn fans would consider that a miracle.

If the total package for winning a NC game = 3.5 million, who cares? Does it really matter that the Bball coach would make more than the Football coach?

That question might make a good thread by itself, anyway pay up or shut up, when talking about wanting a competitive Bball program.

Tubby is a winner. He has won everywhere he has been. He won a NC at UK. He is not the youngest candidate, but if we could get him for 5-7 years, he could rebuild our program and it would be easier to bring in another quality coach when he retires. Steve Alford is still my first choice, but I am the only person even mentioning his name. Out of the list of candidates I have seen, Tubby is the most proven and would bring instant credibility to our bball program! I would LOVE for us to hire Tubby!!!

Tubby is a winner. He has won everywhere he has been. He won a NC at UK. He is not the youngest candidate, but if we could get him for 5-7 years, he could rebuild our program and it would be easier to bring in another quality coach when he retires. Steve Alford is still my first choice, but I am the only person even mentioning his name. Out of the list of candidates I have seen, Tubby is the most proven and would bring instant credibility to our bball program! I would LOVE for us to hire Tubby!!!

I could not agree with you more.

:wedance:

My personal choice for a coach is Tubby Smith.  I have always liked him.  He does it the right way.  Familiar with the SEC and is a proven winner.  I saw a stat the other day where he has taken something like 16 or 17 of 19 teams to the dance.  That's pretty good imho; plus, considering we hardly ever get in, he would find a way to get guys in here that would Auburn back in the dance. 

Met him in Columbus, Ga when Saul was on the NBDL team down there or came there to play.  Went up and introduced myself and told him how much I appreciated his work - even though he was at UK  ;).  Always liked watching them play when he was there - not so much now for obvious reasons.

Second choice would be Mike Anderson.  Good basketball man.  Love watching his teams play.  If the opportunity arose for us, may be he could overlook what happened in the past and realize Ed ain't here anymore.

I'm just ready to hear the breaking news,"Auburn hires Tubby Smith"

Me too, brother...me too!

:wedance:

I'm just ready to hear the breakIng news,"Auburn hires Tubby Smith"

I have turned the t.v to ESPNEWS at least 100 times hoping for the "breaking news" to say just that. Hopefully it will get done before mid-week. The longer it drags on, the less chance we get him IMO.

I'm just ready to hear the breakIng news,"Auburn hires Tubby Smith"

I have turned the t.v to ESPNEWS at least 100 times hoping for the "breaking news" to say just that. Hopefully it will get done before mid-week. The longer it drags on, the less chance we get him IMO.

Well we're not the only ones pursuing Tubby. He's also being mentioned for the Oregon job. They're also moving into a brand new arena next year that was basicially built by Nike.

All Jay Jacobs should do is offer tubby 2.5 mil and tell him I won't butt in on your program....he will come.

I agree with your first part. The "he will come" thing, I ain't so sure.

Minnesota is on a salary freeze and will not increase Smith's pay.

Oregon's facility is nicer and a bit larger - $172 million. Smith is on their radar big time, and winning in the Pac 10 would be an easier gig.

Smith has an SEC history and could become more of a legend by talking Auburn to places it has never been before. Yes, he's older and in an intense role (besides being an intense personality) there is room for some concern. Still, his pedigree is stellar and he would by the dynamo that could change the attitude in Auburn about basketball.

Minnesota is on a salary freeze and will not increase Smith's pay.

Oregon's facility is nicer and a bit larger - $172 million. Smith is on their radar big time, and winning in the Pac 10 would be an easier gig.

Smith has an SEC history and could become more of a legend by talking Auburn to places it has never been before. Yes, he's older and in an intense role (besides being an intense personality) there is room for some concern. Still, his pedigree is stellar and he would by the dynamo that could change the attitude in Auburn about basketball.

Oregon has more money than god thanks to Mr Nike

I know everyone wants Tubby Smith, but I really do not. He is definitely a quality coach that would bring stability, but I hope for a little more this time. In my opinion you can look at what Minnesota is doing to see what we would get. A consistent winning record with a few trips to the big dance, on occasion getting to the sweet 16 maybe once in the 5-10 years he has left. A Scott Drew or Chuck Person would cause more excitement for potential big recruits, would make the tournament consistently and make a run at a nation title and final 4 a few times I believe. I do not know if either would even consider Auburn where Smith will, but I would try them first.

I want the best Coach Auburn can get that epitomizes the Auburn family culture.  Chuck was a great player.  What is Chuck's over all coaching record?  What teams has Chuck started with and brought up?  What experience in College Coaching does Chuck have?  Think about Billy Donavan, young experienced.  Florida got him but the guy had experience.  We need a Coach that has the experience and leadership to make a program.   

Tubby Smith has that, so do others.  Chuck does not.

I want the best Coach Auburn can get that epitomizes the Auburn family culture.  Chuck was a great player.  What is Chuck's over all coaching record?  What teams has Chuck started with and brought up?  What experience in College Coaching does Chuck have?   Think about Billy Donavan, young experienced.  Florida got him but the guy had experience.  We need a Coach that has the experience and leadership to make a program.   

Tubby Smith has that, so do others.  Chuck does not.

Maybe so, but I want a coach who does not have a ceiling on him and I think Smith does based on what I said above. Regardless, Person is a winner and comes highly recommended. I would rather take my chances on him then settle for Smith just to ensure we go 20-9 most years, squeak into the tournament and lose in the first two rounds until he retires in 5-10 years...There is some high praise and recommedation in this article from well respected men. You do not get invited to coach on Jackson's staff unless you got something...

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/03/scarbinsky_auburn_smart_to_tar.html

This is from the Scarbinsky article...

Auburn is smart enough to consider several options. One of them appears to be Chuck Person.

His candidacy is the most intriguing because most observers seem to know the least about him, beyond his stature as perhaps Auburn’s all-time greatest player.

Person enjoyed a long and distinguished career as an NBA player, too. Since his retirement, he’s worked with four different NBA clubs as everything from associate to the head coach to assistant to the president to assistant coach and defensive coordinator.

Beyond the titles, Person has become one of the most respected men in the NBA.

Don’t just take my word for it. Listen to Dallas Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle, who’s known Person for 20 years, dating to their playing days.

“He has all the tools to be a high-impact coach at any level,” Carlisle told me. “He’d be a great hire for Auburn if they could pull it off.”

Donnie Walsh, the president of the New York Knicks, worked with Person with the Indiana Pacers. I asked Walsh if he would recommend Person for the job if Auburn called.

“Oh, yes,” Walsh said. “I’ve recommended him (for head coaching jobs) in the NBA.”

Person was a finalist for the Chicago Bulls job in 2008, which went to Vinny Del Negro.

This season, Person joined the world champion Lakers as an assistant coach. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told me it speaks volumes about Person that head coach Phil Jackson added him to a veteran staff.

“If they didn’t think he could bring something to the table, they wouldn’t have invited him into the group,” Kupchak said.

What would Person bring to the table as the Auburn head coach?

“He’s not a PR guy,” Kupchak said. “It’s not smoke and mirrors with him. He’s got substance. I can envision him in front of a family (on a recruiting visit) being very sincere and honest.”

Carlisle noted that even though Person has been in the NBA, he’s worked with several players who made the jump straight from high school, including Jermaine O’Neal, Jonathan Bender and Al Harrington.

“He’d be great in that (recruiting) environment,” Carlisle said. “Even better, he’d be great at cultivating young men out of high school and turning them into terrific people and terrific players.”

Bottom line: Some of the biggest movers and shakers in the NBA believe the 45-year-old Person has a bright future as a head coach.

“In college or the NBA,” Walsh said.

Kupchak said the Lakers “would be very disappointed if Chuck didn’t come back next year, but we always encourage our guys if they can take a step up to become a head coach.”

Carlisle’s take: “He would get the job done. I don’t have any question. There’s no one out there that would outwork him. There’s no one out there that has his ties to the university and his career credentials that would even compare.”

Archived