Your opinion on Tubby Smith?

aurules16

Sorry, i dont follow AU basketball that much but how good is Tubby Smith as a coach and recruiter, would you be happy with him?

Could he get us to the national tourney?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could he get us to the national tourney? I think he's had a team in the tourney just about every year he has been a head coach. He won an NC at Kentucky. When he coached at UGA he took them to the tourney. He's got Minnesota in the tourney right now and he did last year as well. This guy is the real deal.

Tubby Smith is our best option if we're gonna truly compete in this league. Of the names mentioned, he the only one that can consistently bring in the type of talent needed to win. Kentucky will continue to have NBA level talent. We need the same to compete. He would be one of two coaches that have won a NC in the league. He's a strong leader that demands respect and we would be lucky to have him. We can be good under some of the other guys but great under Smith.

Sorry, i dont follow AU basketball that much but how good is Tubby Smith as a coach and recruiter, would you be happy with him?

Could he get us to the national tourney?

Any one know Tubby`s given name? His nickname came from sitting in the family washtub constantly when a child.

I think Tubby Smith would be a great hire. He preaches defense and his teams always have solid funamentals. We'd really have to fork out the money to get him and it might even be close to 2 mill, so i'm not real sure how likely it is we get him. But he has been very good everywhere he has been. I thought Kentucky made a mistake getting rid of him.

According to reports we will pay top dollar for the right coach. We would be willing to make our next coach among the highest paid in the league.

The direct quote I saw from JJ was "We will pay a salary that's competitive with other SEC basketball coaches." That could be anything from 4 mill to 750 k. I really don't look for us to pay what Ky, Fla, and so forth are paying.

Nobody said we would pay what Kentucky or Florida is paying. That just means we will pay top dollar for the coach of our choice. Neither coach at those schools are our choice.

Those two schools were forced to pay that kind of salary. Kentucky went the Bammer route out of desperation and Florida went that route because their coach won back to back championships and then took a NBA job only to change his mind and come back for the increased salary.

After a close game like they played, I'd be shocked if he said anything about leaving right now. I'm sure his players are down and hurting.

Tubby Smith is likely one of the top 10 coaches in the nation on most peoples list. He would be a huge hire. He has a national title and multiple trips to the NCAA Tournament. If Auburn can get him it would be foolish not to do so.

I think he would be the best available choice for AU.  If we got Tubby Smith, we would be in the Tournament year in and year out.  I can not imagine a better hire than getting him to make AU basketball something great.  When Lebo was fired, I didn't think we would have a chance to get someone of his caliber.  I am ecstatic that Tubby Smith looks like who we might be going after. 

War Eagle!!

:wedance:

He is an OLD 59. We need someone young and aggressive like our football coach and staff.

Who cares how old he is? We need a PROVEN WINNER here at Auburn. It would look awful to spend $92M on a state-of-the-art arena and hire a "project" to see if he can do the job. This basketball program needs a sure thing right now! No "up and comers" and no "mid major hot shots". We tried a project when we hired a coach six years ago. Now look at us. I'm sorry, but for the people that don't want Tubby or Mike Anderson, what is wrong with ya'll? It would be unreal to have either one of them. I would be ECSTATIC!

I think we could do a lot better, but also think we could do a lot worse. We would be yup and down with Smith, but would at least make the tournament from time to time. Personally I would be a bit disappointed as I think we could get a younger more consistent head coach..

I think Tubbs would be a smart hire. Our b'ball program is down and we need a proven coach to stabilize the program and create a good foundation. When he has been here for several years and the program can sustain itself and recruit by a winning reputation, then let Tubbs handpick his successor and let him hand it down and retire a beloved Auburn man.

Well, it seems like ST is hearing a lot of things that point to Tubby being our next bball coach. If Jay Jacobs is willing to pay $2 million a year (or more) for a bball coach, then I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it happen. I'm glad JJ is committed to sports other than football. One of my coworkers did bring up that he thought it'd be a disaster to pay the basketball coach more than the football coach (which could happen if we hire Tubby Smith), but I think we'd be paying for Tubby's experience and his resume, which far exceed what Chizik's were when we hired him (although I don't think JJ could have made a better choice!) My four faves right now are Tubby Smith, Tony Barbee, Mike Anderson and Sam Mitchell. I'd be happy with any one of those names.

I think he would be the best available choice for AU.  If we got Tubby Smith, we would be in the Tournament year in and year out.  I can not imagine a better hire than getting him to make AU basketball something great.  When Lebo was fired, I didn't think we would have a chance to get someone of his caliber.  I am ecstatic that Tubby Smith looks like who we might be going after. 

War Eagle!!

:wedance:

Amen!

Archived