National Titles

gville2006

College football will never have a true national champ with out a playoff. Football is the only sport in the NCAA that does not have a playoff to determine a champion. The NCAA does however have a list of  national champions and the SEC has there list also and the two do not correspond with each other. Chris Low a writer for ESPN posted a list indicating how many national titles (in all sports) owned by each of the SEC men's programs. His source is the SEC office. Auburn 9  eight in swimming 1 football Alabama 8 football (1961-1964-1965-1973-1978-1979-1992-2009). I wright this to say if you print a tee shirt or ball cap with a number it makes it legit.

You guys are forgetting the biggest one. Our National Equestrian team won a few years ago.

The article only included men's sports for some reason.  The women's swimming titles were also not included.

Auburn football teams have been awarded some form of national Champions title eight times.

The NCAA's Web site states that: "The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in Division I-A football and is not involved in the selection process", but it adds that "a number of polling organizations provide a final ranking of Division I-A football teams at the end of each season."

The NCAA Web site lists four Auburn teams that have been named national champions by at least one organization.

The following is the complete list of Auburn teams ranked No. 1 and some of the organizations that recognized them as national champion:

* 1910, 6-1 (Loren Maxwell)

* 1913, 8-0 (Billingsley, James Howell, 1st-N-Goal)

* 1914, 8-0-1 (James Howell)

* 1957, 10-0 (AP)

* 1958, 9-0-1 (Montgomery Full Season Championship)

* 1983, 11-1 (The New York Times, ARGH, Billingsley, DKC, Eck, FACT, Fleming, Football Research, James Howell, Massey Ratings, Nutshell Sports, Sorensen, Sparks Achievement, David Wilson, 1st-N-Goal)

* 1993, 11-0 (Harry Frye, National Championship Foundation, Nutshell Sports, Sparks Achievement, David Wilson)

* 2004, 13-0 (Darryl W. Perry, EFI, FansPoll, People’s Choice National Championship, GBE, Hank Trexler, M Cubed)

Did you not read everything I posted? it says the following is the COMPLETE LIST of Auburn teams ranked No. 1 and some of the organizations that recognized them as REAL national champions. Therefore, we have won 8 national championships and NOT just that 1 in 1957.

Archived