***Muschamp Intro Presser***

RunInRed

B4v8ti2CYAAjWK-.jpg

We'll be tracking the presser in this thread ...

B4v5ghJCIAAXjUV.jpg

Crowd gathering ...

B4v5KO6IUAABJRz.jpg

B4v8i0_IcAE90RB.jpg

B4v920zCYAA2v8L.jpg

B4v_CHqCMAA7Ygn.jpg

B4v-JmdIQAI285a.jpg

B4v-c_aIAAAEx4c.jpg

Gus Malzahn

• Auburn coach Gus Malzahn calls it a "very exciting day for Auburn football" with hiring of Will Muschamp
  • "2 weeks ago, we set out to hire 1 of the best defensive minds in college FB."
  • Muschamp will not coach the bowl game
  • He will monitor practices.
  • Harbison will act as DC for the Outback Bowl
  • Malzahn on the defensive staff: "We've got a solid staff." Says he and Muschamp will huddle together to map out future staff.
  • Gus Malzahn on Will Muschamp: "We have a solid defensive staff. Will will have ownership over that."
  • Gus Malzahn on Will Muschamp: "I love his energy. I'm an energy guy, too."
  • Malzahn: "My goal was to go out and get the best defensive coordinator in the country.
  • Malzahn on having a former HC as a defensive coordinator: "I think it's very valuable, … he knows what it's like."
  • Malzahn on the search: "I'm not a real patient guy, but I felt like I needed to be in this setting."
  • Malzahn said he never gave Will Muschamp any sort of deadline to make a decision.
  • Muschamp on Jay Jacobs "Jay's leadership is second to none"
  • Gus Malzahn on hiring Will Muschamp: "I just knew who that's who we wanted and who we needed."
  • Malzahn on Muschamp "He's one of the best defensive minds in all of college football."
  • Malzahn: "He's one of the best defensive minds in all of college football. … As far as what he provides, he provides a whole lot."

Will Muschamp

• "Glad to be back at Auburn. I want to thank Gus for this opportunity to come back to Auburn, it's a special place."
  • "This was a family decision, and this was a very easy decision to come back to Auburn."
  • Muschamp: "This was the only job that I was offered."
  • Muschamp says Florida recruits would rave to him about Auburn's housing situation.
  • Muschamp says recruits would always tell him how nice housing was at Auburn. "It's nice to be on this side of it."
  • Muschamp: "After the season, I set out to relax for two weeks. I made it 13 days."
  • Muschamp says he's had multiple discussions with Gus Malzahn, joked he had 7 days where he didn't have any contact in the Dominican Republic
  • Muschamp: "At the end of the day, I'm just a ball coach. ... I'm grateful to have a family that accepts that."
  • Muschamp said he would be back next week to monitor practices Monday-Thursday before enjoying Christmas with his family.
  • Muschamp defers to Malzahn on the timetable for staffing.
  • Muschamp on inheriting the current Auburn defense: "I think we have a good enough combination to be fine (next year)."
  • Muschamp on AU returning defensive players: "I'm looking forward to coaching some of the guys that turned me down (at Florida)"
  • Muschamp said injuries definitely hurt Auburn's defense this year. Mentions Carl Lawson not being out there.
  • Will Muschamp on his defense: "It's our job to get the ball back to the offense."
  • Muschamp on playing defense with HUNH. He said Florida averaged 70 plays last season and Auburn 72. Said perception is sometimes not reality
  • Muschamp says he'd rather be a DC at a place with the resources to win titles than a head coach elsewhere
  • Muschamp: "We've been pretty good where we've been and we've also had some good players. It's all about the players."
  • Will Muschamp says he'll start recruiting for Auburn as soon as this press conference is over
  • Muschamp on recruiting: “When we walk out that door, we’re going.”
  • Muschamp talks about the need to stay away from explosive plays. "Get the ball out first and we'll deal with the rest of the stuff later"
  • Muschamp on Auburn's needs: "Film can only take you so far...you have to observe practice. I know (AU) has recruited some great players."
  • Will Muschamp: "I'm certainly looking forward to getting back on the field."
  • Muschamp on his two weeks off "it was great, but I was itching to get back out there"

6_3301558.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A number of Auburn assts are here at Muschamp presser: Grimes, Horton, Harbison and Smith

@BMattAU

Most of Auburn's coaching staff is here to welcome Will Muschamp, including OC Rhett Lashlee and OL coach JB Grimes, among others.

@AUBlog

Sec network doing heisman special right now. Will they cut it?

Last night, they said they would cover the presser . . . I don't know if they meant in full or what.

Well the SEC network is showing Bo Jackson and his heisman story. Hoping they cut to it live when it starts, but they may just do a recap of it after its over.

Archived