Players leaving

bmartin3228

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it realistic to expect drago to move over to tackle? are his arm strong enough? he certainly benches enough. lol didn't he play LT in HS? I think this would be a logical move, and he's only a junior. Thoughts?

BTW, best of luck to all of our tigers taking the next step. represent us well and give them hell!!!!!!!! WDE!!

Starting 2 new tackles...never good.

It didn't seem to bother Clemson much. We should have the players to overcome this already on the roster.

At least we have decent depth along the OL. Going to get to see what Hand can do with his guys early.

People were saying that last season as well....

It's always a 'never know until you see it' type of thing

Even with Coleman and Young leaving we'll have more continuity next year than we did this year IMO (at least personnel-wise). Leff got a ton of quality reps this season and Horton and James have been spoken quite highly of. We might actually upgrade from Young. I'll stop short of saying "We'll be fine"- I'm starting to believe in that jinx- but I'm not as alarmed about OL as I was going into '15.

It didn't seem to bother Clemson much. We should have the players to overcome this already on the roster.

Agree, not to mention Clemson had to replace nine on defense this year. They seemed to do OK.

Best of luck to Young but I am now back to where I was at this time last year. When I was saying we have lots of talent in O-Line but I am worried about how long it will take to gel as a unit. Last year at beginning of the season the O-Line was adequate at best but got better as season wore on and became a very strong unit. It took time to gel. This year we start with Clemson who is returning an awful lot of players from this year we are going to have to gel in Spring and Fall to be ready for Clemson. Great potential on O-Line but I am worried with loss of both tackles.

Best of luck to Young but I am now back to where I was at this time last year. When I was saying we have lots of talent in O-Line but I am worried about how long it will take to gel as a unit. Last year at beginning of the season the O-Line was adequate at best but got better as season wore on and became a very strong unit. It took time to gel. This year we start with Clemson who is returning an awful lot of players from this year we are going to have to gel in Spring and Fall to be ready for Clemson. Great potential on O-Line but I am worried with loss of both tackles.

The good news is that Golson and Kozan are back, so we'll start off in MUCH better shape at those positions than we did in 2015. Malzahn's offense has always operated best with an experienced center. I'm personally hoping that somebody steps up at LT and Smith is able to stay at guard, which would give us as good of an interior as we could ever hope for. But WDEWDE said that the plan is to move Smith to LT, and maybe he'd be a stud there. But he's a really, really good guard. And while we'll lose a lot of starts with Young, a lot of his experience wasn't at RT and there's a very good chance we upgrade in terms of raw ability. Robert Leff did fine filling in for him on several occasions this past season, Mike Horton is rumored to be a beast and then there's Darius James, a 5* in the 2013 class who started 2 games as a redshirt freshman at Texas before getting hurt.

In my perfect world, it would go James-Kozan-Golson-Smith-Horton/Leff from left to right and we're actually a better offensive line overall against Clemson in 2016 than we were against Louisville in 2015.

Lett has to be better at pass blocking. It will be tougher with 2 leaving and a new OL coach coming in. The OL is critical and it usually takes a while for it to jell.

We think we have good depth but until we see them on the field, we have no idea how good our OL wil be. Starting off with Clemson is not the best way to find out either..lol.

The good news is that Golson and Kozan are back, so we'll start off in MUCH better shape at those positions than we did in 2015. Malzahn's offense has always operated best with an experienced center. I'm personally hoping that somebody steps up at LT and Smith is able to stay at guard, which would give us as good of an interior as we could ever hope for. But WDEWDE said that the plan is to move Smith to LT, and maybe he'd be a stud there. But he's a really, really good guard. And while we'll lose a lot of starts with Young, a lot of his experience wasn't at RT and there's a very good chance we upgrade in terms of raw ability. Robert Leff did fine filling in for him on several occasions this past season, Mike Horton is rumored to be a beast and then there's Darius James, a 5* in the 2013 class who started 2 games as a redshirt freshman at Texas before getting hurt.

In my perfect world, it would go James-Kozan-Golson-Smith-Horton/Leff from left to right and we're actually a better offensive line overall against Clemson in 2016 than we were against Louisville in 2015.

I agree with every thing you said but even if we are better O-Line against Clemson then Louisville. Clemson is a much better Team then Louisville and they are basically returning almost their whole defense including their subs I believe they only have 2 Seniors on D this year. One who is a 3 year letterman at DT. I believe in our talent but I also know that O-line working as a a unit is as important as individual talent. O-Line need to be some of the most intelligent and best prepared players on the team as they have so many reads based on what the D does . You can be a stud in one on one blocking but a wrong read and the play is blown up.

Agree, not to mention Clemson had to replace nine on defense this year. They seemed to do OK.

UAT replaced 8 on their offense this year ~ they seemed to do OK too.

I agree with those that hope we can keep Smith at guard. When he pulls out and comes around end he is a combination of a heat seeking missile and a steam roller. Smith is one of the best pulling guards I have seen on the college level and his interior pass blocking is just as good.

I have no idea if his shuffle step is quick enough to be a good LT but if he can move his body sideways, he could make the transition. If he does have that to add to his arsenal, he would be scary good out there.

I agree with every thing you said but even if we are better O-Line against Clemson then Louisville. Clemson is a much better Team then Louisville and they are basically returning almost their whole defense including their subs I believe they only have 2 Seniors on D this year. One who is a 3 year letterman at DT. I believe in our talent but I also know that O-line working as a a unit is as important as individual talent. O-Line need to be some of the most intelligent and best prepared players on the team as they have so many reads based on what the D does . You can be a stud in one on one blocking but a wrong read and the play is blown up.

Dang it, Tex. I'm no longer walking on sunshine.

On the contrary, their defense has been gutted by graduation and the draft.

DT DJ Reader and the MLB were seniors. DEs Lawson and Dodd declared for the draft, as did their best CB and both starting safeties. Best I can tell, only four defensive guys that started the final game in '15 will be there to open '16.

WDE!

Edit: They had better retention on offense. They lost two OL and a WR, same as us. Fingers crossed Watson decides to forego next year to prepare for the 2017 draft.

Young couldn't have a worse picture on 247 sports. So funny

Had to go look it up.

Honestly, unless they happened to change the photo between yesterday and today, I'm not sure what's wrong with it. He's kind of an interesting looking dude, and there are much strager pictures they could have gone with. That OMG face from the 2013 Iron Bowl is legendary.

Had to go look it up.

Honestly, unless they happened to change the photo between yesterday and today, I'm not sure what's wrong with it. He's kind of an interesting looking dude, and there are much strager pictures they could have gone with. That OMG face from the 2013 Iron Bowl is legendary.

"Interesting looking dude" is about as nice as you can put it lol. He looks goofy to me.

Had to go look it up.

A timeless classic!

Confirmed here that the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft is January 18.

Montravius Adams is not listed either as having declared or as having confirmed he's staying. (Carl is listed as a LB who's confirmed he's staying.)

Shaq Lawson and Dodds leaving Clemson are great news for whomever is QB for AUB that first game. They wreaked serious havoc in backfield the entire game

Archived