JSU QB Eli Jenkins

McLoofus

Have seen enough chatter that it seems worth giving this kid a thread. Eli Jenkins has graduated from Jax State and has a year of eligibility remaining. He is looking to transfer to a D1 school and we are evidently in the mix (to what extent, I have no idea).

6'2 205, can't find a 40 time. Passed for 2185/18 against 6 INTs, 62.1% completion percentage, ran for 640/8. That's over 14 games, but he sat out a lot due to JSU winning a lot of games by large margins including 8 full quarters.

Some accolades:

Named top FCS QB

"Sets standard for QBs in Alabama"

Here are the JSU highlights from their game against us. Kid looks like a baller.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm more interested in getting one of their receivers that nearly beat us. That guy could catch!

Somebody said "Hope he brings Gonzalez with him" in another thread. I agree with both of you.

Watching those highlights, it's evident that he got a lot more help than JJ did in that game. But he also is a vastly superior quarterback.

I'm more interested in getting one of their receivers that nearly beat us. That guy could catch!

^THIS!!! PLEASE!!!

Reuben unfortunately is out of reach. He is a senior and if he were to try to transfer, he would run into the same road blocks as I did when I left JSU (He has already transferred once from South Florida, came in during my last year at JSU.) in that he doesn't have enough time on his clock to qualify for the SEC. JB, I'm actually thinking could possibly make the trip, though as a graduate transfer, haven't heard anything on Eli wanting to transfer though and I'm still well connected with my old teammates. It's a bit harder for him considering he's got a kid and a GF that he is actually pretty committed to and as far as I remember, there is a GREAT relationship between him, Grass, Coach Larry, and the staff up there. It'd be hard to see him go somewhere else.

Still that's just me, might be a different tale that I'm not hearing from the guys.

Reuben unfortunately is out of reach. He is a senior and if he were to try to transfer, he would run into the same road blocks as I did when I left JSU (He has already transferred once from South Florida, came in during my last year at JSU.) in that he doesn't have enough time on his clock to qualify for the SEC. JB, I'm actually thinking could possibly make the trip, though as a graduate transfer, haven't heard anything on Eli wanting to transfer though and I'm still well connected with my old teammates. It's a bit harder for him considering he's got a kid and a GF that he is actually pretty committed to and as far as I remember, there is a GREAT relationship between him, Grass, Coach Larry, and the staff up there. It'd be hard to see him go somewhere else.

Still that's just me, might be a different tale that I'm not hearing from the guys.

Thanks for the insight. I might've misunderstood something, as I thought he was looking.

Also, thanks for the reminder that you guys have lives outside of football. Maybe some of the folks around here will believe it coming from you.

Thanks for the insight. I might've misunderstood something, as I thought he was looking.

Also, thanks for the reminder that you guys have lives outside of football. Maybe some of the folks around here will believe it coming from you.

Ah, don't take my word as 100% the truth because there might have been circumstances that have changed, who knows? Still logically I wouldn't see him leaving as he can get more than enough publicity from JSU and winning championships there than he would get going to some other university and having to re-adjust and deal with a QB controversy, and I know that Jb and Eli are an extremely tight pair so if Eli were to stay then Jb would more than likely follow suit.

Another thing to remember is the scheme, which is EXTREMELY SIMPLISTIC, even the OL blocking schemes are meant to simply allow players to minimize the thinking and maximize an ability to perform physically. Having played in that offense briefly as a TE in my last year, I'd have to say that it's like being in more of an improvised dance rather than an exact science. The play calls are very easy to understand and get ingrained into muscle memory quite easily. Not too many formations, though this could often change sometimes. But yeah, calling it simple doesn't mean it's not smart, it's just more of a scheme to maximize performance at a high speed and high physical level rather than using a multitude of pre-snap reads and calculations at the LOS to create a mismatch.

And not a problem, it's easy to forget when you consider how much of those lives that football actually does comprise.

calling it simple doesn't mean it's not smart

Not to disregard anything else you said, but this x many. Whatever produces is smart, and clearly that offense produces.

I can't wait to see Eli Jenkins take apart NDS's defense as Jacksonville State rocks on to their first ever div I-AA National Championship.

Has there been any indication that this guy is even remotely considering transferring? Just because he's eligible to transfer doesn't mean he's the slightest bit interested in doing so.

Has there been any indication that this guy is even remotely considering transferring? Just because he's eligible to transfer doesn't mean he's the slightest bit interested in doing so.

^^^^

Signs point to no, and I'm probably sure that the "Former Coach Insider" giving this knowledge is Jack Crowe, who is probably least qualified to speak on ANYTHING regarding this new team. I can DEFINITELY attest to that.

^^^^

Signs point to no, and I'm probably sure that the "Former Coach Insider" giving this knowledge is Jack Crowe, who is probably least qualified to speak on ANYTHING regarding this new team. I can DEFINITELY attest to that.

i assume it is speculation too and have zero contacts. as much as i would love to have Eli, i am not too sure he would beat SW out and it would be a disaster to transfer and sit. i look fwd to seeing jax st excel again next year. he is a lot more talented but would be behind in learning the system to SW and JJ.

^^^^

i assume it is speculation too and have zero contacts. as much as i would love to have Eli, i am not too sure he would beat SW out and it would be a disaster to transfer and sit. i look fwd to seeing jax st excel again next year. he is a lot more talented but would be behind in learning the system to SW and JJ.

I won't be surprised to see Eli in orange and blue next year. I'm not 100% on this but there is a good possibility of this happening.

^^^^

I won't be surprised to see Eli in orange and blue next year. I'm not 100% on this but there is a good possibility of this happening.

when does something like this begin to materialize? After bowl games? EE timeframe? National signing day? Later?

^^^^

when does something like this begin to materialize? After bowl games? EE timeframe? National signing day? Later?

After the FCS championship game which is 1/09/2016. imo

as much as i would love to have Eli, i am not too sure he would beat SW out and it would be a disaster to transfer and sit.

But it would be so fun to yell "Eliiiiiiiiiiiiiii Jeeeeeeenkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins"

(Earmuffs)

Interesting!

This guy has a lot of the tools we are looking for! Hope it works out!

He would get to practice all spring with the other 5 QBs, correct?

Yeah, well it's one of those things that I dunno about, just so many questions, and looking at the other potential QBs, for someone who is at least partially smart enough to recognize the writing on the wall, it isn't a good situation. Not to mention I still suspect a lot of this to be pure speculation and rumors.

1. A whole new offensive system to learn and grow accustomed to vs. one you already know well.

2. Coming into a CROWDED QB competition with other QBs they've promised the world to in order to get as well

3. Leaving a coaching staff that you've bonded with and created enough rapport with that they allow you to have full reign of the offense. (Used to couldn't control much, very auburn esque in that the calls come from the boards on the sideline and you deal with what you've got.) Also receivers that you know perfectly well.

4. Having to uproot a family, with a child and a GF that's attending JSU. (If my memory serves correctly)

5. Dealing with the politics of power 5 football, nosey boosters, sometimes terrible fan support if things don't go EXACTLY the way they expect.

6. Losing a surefire path to the league that can be guaranteed by putting up even more gaudy numbers in the OVC. Though doing the same in the SEC is possible.

7. Having to deal with creating a new relationship with WRs vs QBs that might already have a working relationship with them. (Matters big time.)

I mean I've seen crazier things happen, though there doesn't appear to be much indication of this.

Interesting!

Yeah, well it's one of those things that I dunno about, just so many questions, and looking at the other potential QBs, for someone who is at least partially smart enough to recognize the writing on the wall, it isn't a good situation. Not to mention I still suspect a lot of this to be pure speculation and rumors.

1. A whole new offensive system to learn and grow accustomed to vs. one you already know well.

2. Coming into a CROWDED QB competition with other QBs they've promised the world to in order to get as well

3. Leaving a coaching staff that you've bonded with and created enough rapport with that they allow you to have full reign of the offense. (Used to couldn't control much, very auburn esque in that the calls come from the boards on the sideline and you deal with what you've got.) Also receivers that you know perfectly well.

4. Having to uproot a family, with a child and a GF that's attending JSU. (If my memory serves correctly)

5. Dealing with the politics of power 5 football, nosey boosters, sometimes terrible fan support if things don't go EXACTLY the way they expect.

6. Losing a surefire path to the league that can be guaranteed by putting up even more gaudy numbers in the OVC. Though doing the same in the SEC is possible.

7. Having to deal with creating a new relationship with WRs vs QBs that might already have a working relationship with them. (Matters big time.)

I mean I've seen crazier things happen, though there doesn't appear to be much indication of this.

And all of that may be worth it if he gets hot at Auburn, and in the best conference in CFB. I hate to say it, but if he wins with JSU on the ninth then he has been there and accomplished all his goals there. He might want more.

And to counter what you said earlier, he would get ten times the publicity that he receives at JSU. The question is, does he even care about that!

He has one year of eligibility, correct? Not saying we shouldn't go after him if he gives us the best chance, just wondering. Regardless, it would be a good transition to Woody Barrett in 2017.

Hahaha Loof! I love the Leroy Jenkins cry! One more reason to pull for Eli!

You're right Flex, it's a big IF! But doing the same thing in the SEC that he has done at JSU would move him WAY up the draft board! We've seen Gus do it before, and top notch athletes almost always have an inflated idea of their abilities.

I could definitely see him weighing his options and deciding it is worth the risk.

We'll see what happens. It's all speculation at this point.

I will say this though, if Golf, Bird, and WDEWDE all say it's got legs, I believe it's got some legs.

Interesting!

And all of that may be worth it if he gets hot at Auburn, and in the best conference in CFB. I hate to say it, but if he wins with JSU on the ninth then he has been there and accomplished all his goals there. He might want more.

And to counter what you said earlier, he would get ten times the publicity that he receives at JSU. The question is, does he even care about that!

Also, what is his forty?

On gameday bunker last week Jack Crowe said Eli would have to reach out to AU if he is interested.That AU coaches were not allowed to reach out to him.For what it's worth.

Hahaha Loof! I love the Leroy Jenkins cry! One more reason to pull for Eli!

You're right Flex, it's a big IF! But doing the same thing in the SEC that he has done at JSU would move him WAY up the draft board! We've seen Gus do it before, and top notch athletes almost always have an inflated idea of their abilities.

I could definitely see him weighing his options and deciding it is worth the risk.

We'll see what happens. It's all speculation at this point.

I will say this though, if Golf, Bird, and WDEWDE all say it's got legs, I believe it's got some legs.

I know Eli and admittedly, he isn't extremely cocky to the point of just getting that idea that he is the best thing since sliced bread. Though I don't doubt he'd weigh the options. I mean it's not like the guy thinks it's just unlikely, but the logistics don't work very well for such a crapshoot and it would seem like so much of a snub to Grass and his staff, which to my knowledge, there was a great relationship between them. Still, these things are just SO unpredictable, that it seems impossible to peg what might go down. There's a certain unpredictability of human nature that lends itself to this situation.

also to Jeff, I can't really say that there is much else to do. It's more of a question of is it more convenient and weighing the percentages of success to failure, and then looking at the possible inconvenience of it all. Also in regards to 40, last time we had ran one was my sophomore year with Coach Crowe at the helm and I believe Coach Twitty clocked him at a 4.5-6 range. But having caught balls from him during a brief stint at TE, I will say he throws a nice, catchable ball almost every time.

Archived