JSU QB Eli Jenkins

McLoofus

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the NFL is his goal, why not just declare for the draft? I see nothing that benefits him from coming to AU for another season.

This.... As I have reiterated, there is only so much you can do moving up to the SEC unless everything goes right. Cam's meteoric rise was unprecedented and almost a once in a generation event. The reality of becoming the #1 pick after 1 season, especially if ALL of the pieces aren't correct is too great. You risk too much of getting caught in politics and dealing with injuries, as well as adverse circumstances. The NFL scouts will watch ALL your games if they're interested, whether they are on national TV or not. If you make noise, a scout will find you, and that is at ANY level. I've seen several players scouted heavily in the Crowe days when JSU wasn't even a blip on the FCS championship radar. The SEC isn't the end all be all, rather if you get into it, good, but if you don't there are other ways to go. His stock is much higher if he were to declare now rather than try to go through hoops and come to AU. Granted if he were to do it and succeed, there would be some gain, though it's just not a worthwhile risk. Got the degree, got the accolades, go for the pay day.

At the risk of sounding critical of our coaches, who knows what this guy would find at AU ? I mean our coaches thought JJ was NFL material to start the season and took them several games to figure out their misjudgment. Just saying, that he could come here and find that coaches had already made up their minds about somebody else and would stick with that player no matter the results.

And keep in mind that Jenkins has played well against a power 5 team and has played against and beaten other FCS teams that have beaten FBS teams. I think a lot of people underestimate the better FCS teams who frequently have some very good players but operate at the disadvantage of being allowed 22 fewer scholarship players on their squads.

But as noted a few times, this is all speculation with no basis that a transfer is even being considered....

If the NFL is his goal, why not just declare for the draft? I see nothing that benefits him from coming to AU for another season.

This.... As I have reiterated, there is only so much you can do moving up to the SEC unless everything goes right. Cam's meteoric rise was unprecedented and almost a once in a generation event. The reality of becoming the #1 pick after 1 season, especially if ALL of the pieces aren't correct is too great. You risk too much of getting caught in politics and dealing with injuries, as well as adverse circumstances. The NFL scouts will watch ALL your games if they're interested, whether they are on national TV or not. If you make noise, a scout will find you, and that is at ANY level. I've seen several players scouted heavily in the Crowe days when JSU wasn't even a blip on the FCS championship radar. The SEC isn't the end all be all, rather if you get into it, good, but if you don't there are other ways to go. His stock is much higher if he were to declare now rather than try to go through hoops and come to AU. Granted if he were to do it and succeed, there would be some gain, though it's just not a worthwhile risk. Got the degree, got the accolades, go for the pay day.

I'd say it's a high risk, high reward option for him, unless he's already high on draft boards.

I'm just giving another perspective, I don't necessarily think this, but the THOUGHT crossed my mind. Who's to say this guy is that good? Because he killed is early in the year? We were horrible then. People question Franklin coming from juco but not this guy? And isn't he playing under an offensive guru? Maybe they are making it easier for him

If Flex, who actually knows him, says the kid has a shot at the NFL, I'm inclined to believe him. That being said, Flex is also saying that he has heard nothing about him even wanting to transfer, so this whole thread is kind of questionable.

Well being as he usually say things I've said before he started posting or at least I saw him posting and he says things now that I share the same view I'm a fan of his. And like I said I don't necessarily feel that way but I was just wondering as I see the questions about Franklin it makes me think about Eli as well.

And flex do you know Daniel Jackson? Or have you met Oscar bonds?

Haven't met Bonds, only bonds I knew was Greg, but as far as Jackson, my old DL GA Brandt Thomas used to talk about him a bit from back in their day, but that was about it. And yes, the same question would be applicable, although arguably, you could say that FCS competition trumps JUCO competition which most of the times is just above high school and around DII in nature due to the undeveloped nature of a lot of players, as well as certain players being very RAW having left big DI schools after failed stints. It all just depends. But I'd say Eli would definitely be the better bet, but having to deal with coaching and what THEY might see as best is trouble.

At the risk of sounding critical of our coaches, who knows what this guy would find at AU ? I mean our coaches thought JJ was NFL material to start the season and took them several games to figure out their misjudgment. Just saying, that he could come here and find that coaches had already made up their minds about somebody else and would stick with that player no matter the results.

And keep in mind that Jenkins has played well against a power 5 team and has played against and beaten other FCS teams that have beaten FBS teams. I think a lot of people underestimate the better FCS teams who frequently have some very good players but operate at the disadvantage of being allowed 22 fewer scholarship players on their squads.

But as noted a few times, this is all speculation with no basis that a transfer is even being considered....

This is also common as well. That would be a part of the "politics" of college football and anyone who can see all of the QBs being recruited sees the writing on the wall. I'd hate to go from the favored Son to playing second or third fiddle.

These statements always bother me, because they make assumptions that are just not true, yet people who come here for info take them as truth.

1. No coach is going to choose a quarterback for any other reason than they are performing the best in practice and give the team the best opportunity to win... period. The coach is getting paid to build a winning team and they aren't going to risk their job because they like a kid.

2. No one had trouble figuring out the Jeremy was struggling. What they were doing with giving their top QB (in practice), time to get out of his head. We were winning, all be it not comfortably, which afforded him time to get it together. Honestly, if we lost either of the first 2 games, he may not have been afforded the luxury. When it became obvious it just wasn't going to happen, they pulled the trigger on Sean. As you may recall, a good percentage of people on this board wanted them to give him even more time to get his head straight, because we all know he's got the tools, he's just having trouble using them in a live game.

3. No one who isn't posting to a message board ever said Jeremy's headed to the NFL. Outside observers deemed him a potential Heisman candidate, after watching him light it up in practice, and Gus egged that on a bit with some of his positivity, but he never touted Jeremy for the Heisman... what he said was “He's started games; matter of fact, he's started SEC games. He started an opener, and he's played. But there's nothing like the mentality of it being your team and you're going to start for the whole season."

its obvious that we need a QB, we need somebody to come in and take the job..... i don't care if he comes from the damn moon because none of the ones on campus are reliable enough to count on to win football games next year....

3 straight 250 games has to be the worst stat ever....

How are there bad or good stats? Stats are stats. Some you or I may not like, but if they are accurate (and three straight 250 yard games for the first time in 18 years is accurate) then there's not much to say. Unless of course, you really, really wish he hadn't accomplished that.

The same as whatever stats JJ put up and the positive signs that were showed against the inferior teams (a&m and Idaho I think) but the streak was a little different when bammer came, then looking ok again against Memphis....all stats can be manipulated. And I understand that you don't actually know anything of actually playing the game but who you play matters....Then you can look at one game went into four ot's...

But actually you do understand because I was happy for the women's basketball team in that thread and of course you came and mentioned about previous years and all of that and these first 14 games doesn't tell an entire story and beating the no 6 team in the nation once doesn't validate them.....of course that's just because you don't like that particular coach for whatever reason.....

But you do love you some SW so now you can take that sample against those opponents. Let Kris frost had two good games against Idaho and San Jose st back to back and you wouldn't ever shut up if somebody God forbid had said he was good....

I actually like the way you talk two sides out of your face....I guess some on here value your opinions....sometimes their good when you don't care for the player. But if you love them, you'll make up anything and it's funny.

So wait...in the previous 18 years, we must have never had a 3 game stint as easy as the 3 games where SW reached 250 yards, right? Opinions can be much more manipulative than stats. And for the record, yes JJ had a few bright spots and looked better running against Memphis. That doesn't in any way discount a qb accomplishing something no other AU qb has accomplished...even in their senior year, in 18 years.

Show me the easier stint where the qb wasn't pulled. I know 2013 we played arky and tn but we didn't pass the ball because we didn't have too...But the 4 or 5 times we did they were long plays and td's....Other games they Johnson play....or trotter, or whoever.....did SW

As far as JJ the point was he looked decent against Texas a&m. Functional against jax st. And Louisville....yeah opponent matters sorry. Like when JJ did whatever he did against Idaho and you were quick to say we'll see against Alabama that's how I am now with ALL the qb's. We'll see against the good teams. Nick performed against bammer twice, cam performed and came through in big games...I'm glad SW pulled it out against Kentucky, wish he had against arky too but yeah spare me the no qb even in 18 years...it's not like they couldn't have

Show me the easier stint where the qb wasn't pulled. I know 2013 we played arky and tn but we didn't pass the ball because we didn't have too...But the 4 or 5 times we did they were long plays and td's....Other games they Johnson play....or trotter, or whoever.....did SW

As far as JJ the point was he looked decent against Texas a&m. Functional against jax st. And Louisville....yeah opponent matters sorry. Like when JJ did whatever he did against Idaho and you were quick to say we'll see against Alabama that's how I am now with ALL the qb's. We'll see against the good teams. Nick performed against bammer twice, cam performed and came through in big games...I'm glad SW pulled it out against Kentucky, wish he had against arky too but yeah spare me the no qb even in 18 years...it's not like they couldn't have

Arkansas wasn't on Sean. Neither was MSU.

OK for the thousandth time if you want to talk about JJ and SW please take it PM's or start your own damn thread. Now get back to talking about what this thread is about Eli. Would hate to have to lock a thread about a possible future Tiger due to this crap.

These statements always bother me, because they make assumptions that are just not true, yet people who come here for info take them as truth.

1. No coach is going to choose a quarterback for any other reason than they are performing the best in practice and give the team the best opportunity to win... period. The coach is getting paid to build a winning team and they aren't going to risk their job because they like a kid.

2. No one had trouble figuring out the Jeremy was struggling. What they were doing with giving their top QB (in practice), time to get out of his head. We were winning, all be it not comfortably, which afforded him time to get it together. Honestly, if we lost either of the first 2 games, he may not have been afforded the luxury. When it became obvious it just wasn't going to happen, they pulled the trigger on Sean. As you may recall, a good percentage of people on this board wanted them to give him even more time to get his head straight, because we all know he's got the tools, he's just having trouble using them in a live game.

3. No one who isn't posting to a message board ever said Jeremy's headed to the NFL. Outside observers deemed him a potential Heisman candidate, after watching him light it up in practice, and Gus egged that on a bit with some of his positivity, but he never touted Jeremy for the Heisman... what he said was “He's started games; matter of fact, he's started SEC games. He started an opener, and he's played. But there's nothing like the mentality of it being your team and you're going to start for the whole season."

I understand your view and won't waste other people's time debating them. BUT we've seen enough situations where everyone is shaking their heads about who is playing at any given time in a number of games. I know the coaches want to win...but who can explain the second half of the Ga game or why Johnson is ripping off nice runs in the first half of a game and barely sees the field after halftime?

None of us knows what goes on but the thought that coaches are totally objective?.....having played a little sports back in the 50s, I know from experience that coaches make decisions for unknown reasons. And whether it's play calling or determining who gets to play.....Gus falls into that category ...just the way I have seen things in the past few years.

Ok....didn't say it was

Is Eli Jenkins on any big draft board radar? The Joey Flacco and Jimmy Garoppolo's of the world were not unknowns in terms of their rankings among collegiate QBs. I believe both were seen as top 10 QBs among all collegiate QBs. Not to far fetched to see them get drafted in their respective positions. If anybody shouldn't be as worried as making the jump to the next level, it would be Carson Wentz of NDSU. Also, be mindful that only 7 QBs were drafted in 2015. Maybe he can sign as an Undrafted rookie and make a squad or possibly become a practice squad player.

Ok....didn't say it was

For you to say "wish Sean had pulled it out against Arky" insinuates that you're putting it on him.

Well you just perceived it wrong, since we were talking about him and his record.And specific qb's (as I named cam and Nick as well) I named SW about his games. That's why I said wish he had gotten a win in his games he started. At the same time the Kentucky win wasn't just him either but you didn't correct that part of the sentence

Eli is a very talented QB.

The decision to transfer is a high risk/high reward decision.

If he left this year, he would most likely be an undrafted free agent. If he stays at JSU, his stock may increase to a draft-able QB. IF he transfers to AU he will have to win the job vs 5 other QBs, and IF he does that, he could possibly, potentially be successful enough to become a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Lots of IFs!

IMHO, we don't have a QB on our roster right now with his level of talent, experience, and diversity of skills (true DTQB). I could definitely see him win the starting position and having great success at AU IF he chooses to transfer.

I understand your view and won't waste other people's time debating them. BUT we've seen enough situations where everyone is shaking their heads about who is playing at any given time in a number of games. I know the coaches want to win...but who can explain the second half of the Ga game or why Johnson is ripping off nice runs in the first half of a game and barely sees the field after halftime?

For the record, I've explained both of these things several times. Gus didn't trust Jovon to pass block, and when we got behind and the other team started adjusting to our running game, he wanted to increase the passing... which is a pretty standard thing to do. We don't have the run blocking like we had in 2013 that let us forgo the pass all together.

As for Georgia, the hope was that Sean was in good enough shape to come in and play like he did against Arkansas/Ole Miss. They gave him a couple of drives to knock the rust off and it was apparent that his injury was throwing him off too much. It was a roll of the dice that, had it worked, would have won the game.

This is the standard for football... A coach makes a calculated decision in the heat of battle, when the team is struggling. If it works, the fans think he's a genius. If it doesn't, they think he's an idiot. The truth is, the cupboard was bare and, as has been documented frequently, the one potential star we had on O is still working on his attitude and giving 100%, 100% of the time.

If he transfers to AU and wins the starting job, he will have instantaneous fame considering our FIRST GAME is against Clemson - who is playing for the title next week. Of course there is also a lot of pressure because our schedule is daunting next year.

So everybody agrees that if he did transfer he was probably told he has the job?

I doubt it's promised, but if he transfers I would think he's been given indications it might be his to lose.

Unless I KNOW I'm head and shoulders better than everyone else on the roster (a coach would have to indicate that to me in some regard), considering I have one season to make my mark, I'm not taking the risk. What if JF3 or SW or Woody or the light comes on for JJ and any of them beat him out? He'll be completely screwed riding the bench for his last season of eligibility. Russell Wilson would've started for us, but the lack of knowing for sure that he would actually start for us is what deterred him and he made the right choice in hindsight. Literally couldn't have worked out any better for him.

Archived