JSU QB Eli Jenkins

McLoofus

Hahaha Loof! I love the Leroy Jenkins cry! One more reason to pull for Eli!

You're right Flex, it's a big IF! But doing the same thing in the SEC that he has done at JSU would move him WAY up the draft board! We've seen Gus do it before, and top notch athletes almost always have an inflated idea of their abilities.

I could definitely see him weighing his options and deciding it is worth the risk.

We'll see what happens. It's all speculation at this point.

I will say this though, if Golf, Bird, and WDEWDE all say it's got legs, I believe it's got some legs.

I know Eli and admittedly, he isn't extremely cocky to the point of just getting that idea that he is the best thing since sliced bread. Though I don't doubt he'd weigh the options. I mean it's not like the guy thinks it's just unlikely, but the logistics don't work very well for such a crapshoot and it would seem like so much of a snub to Grass and his staff, which to my knowledge, there was a great relationship between them. Still, these things are just SO unpredictable, that it seems impossible to peg what might go down. There's a certain unpredictability of human nature that lends itself to this situation.

also to Jeff, I can't really say that there is much else to do. It's more of a question of is it more convenient and weighing the percentages of success to failure, and then looking at the possible inconvenience of it all. Also in regards to 40, last time we had ran one was my sophomore year with Coach Crowe at the helm and I believe Coach Twitty clocked him at a 4.5-6 range. But having caught balls from him during a brief stint at TE, I will say he throws a nice, catchable ball almost every time.

It sounds like we're in BIG trouble without him, if WDEWDE's post in my QB thread is accurate. :(/>

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On gameday bunker last week Jack Crowe said Eli would have to reach out to AU if he is interested.That AU coaches were not allowed to reach out to him.For what it's worth.

There is ways around this

On gameday bunker last week Jack Crowe said Eli would have to reach out to AU if he is interested.That AU coaches were not allowed to reach out to him.For what it's worth.

yea like the presser after we played them.

I honestly can not understand why everyone wants all these QBs. We have a very solid QB in Sean White and some solid future QBs coming in. Especially Gatewood if he makes it to Auburn. Sean threw for 188 yards against Miss. State, over 250 yards against each of Arky, Ole Miss, and UK. First time we have had 3 straight 250 yard passing games since 1997. That means Cam, Cox , or Campbell never did that. We should have won the State and Arky games and could have won the Ole Miss game. I would much rather see " our genius offensive coach" work the offense around Sean than bring in another running QB. Isn't that what everyone has always said about Gus? That he fits his offense to his players. Well not this year.

You're right Flex, it's a big IF! But doing the same thing in the SEC that he has done at JSU would move him WAY up the draft board! We've seen Gus do it before, and top notch athletes almost always have an inflated idea of their abilities.

I could definitely see him weighing his options and deciding it is worth the risk.

I will say this though, if Golf, Bird, and WDEWDE all say it's got legs, I believe it's got some legs.

I know Eli and admittedly, he isn't extremely cocky to the point of just getting that idea that he is the best thing since sliced bread. Though I don't doubt he'd weigh the options. I mean it's not like the guy thinks it's just unlikely, but the logistics don't work very well for such a crapshoot and it would seem like so much of a snub to Grass and his staff, which to my knowledge, there was a great relationship between them. Still, these things are just SO unpredictable, that it seems impossible to peg what might go down. There's a certain unpredictability of human nature that lends itself to this situation.

also to Jeff, I can't really say that there is much else to do. It's more of a question of is it more convenient and weighing the percentages of success to failure, and then looking at the possible inconvenience of it all. Also in regards to 40, last time we had ran one was my sophomore year with Coach Crowe at the helm and I believe Coach Twitty clocked him at a 4.5-6 range. But having caught balls from him during a brief stint at TE, I will say he throws a nice, catchable ball almost every time.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply he is extremely cocky. I just meant that good athletes have confidence in their ability to beat their competition, even when the odds may not be in their favor. That's a good quality to have.

I honestly can not understand why everyone wants all these QBs.

So if our coach thinks he can get a better quarterback than what we have... he should just say, "Nah, our guy's 'very solid'"...? Also, you seem to think that a few stat lines make you more informed than our coach about our quarterback's skill level.

I'm as big a Sean White fan as there is- feel free to search my handle in his recruiting thread- but if Gus thinks he needs a better guy, then so be it. Not to mention the depth issue. Behind Sean White we have 2 true freshmen- remember, Tyler Queen only has 1 spring and 1 throwing arm surgery under his belt- and a guy who many think will end up at WR. No, I don't count Jeremy Johnson as a candidate to play quarterback in 2016.

It's the most important position on the field and we neither a proven starter nor quality depth. Grab 'em if you can, Gus.

Flex, Thanks for all or your insight on your recent first hand experience with football. Very glad you became a member of this board. You have really added a missing part to us.

I honestly can not understand why everyone wants all these QBs. We have a very solid QB in Sean White and some solid future QBs coming in. Especially Gatewood if he makes it to Auburn. Sean threw for 188 yards against Miss. State, over 250 yards against each of Arky, Ole Miss, and UK. First time we have had 3 straight 250 yard passing games since 1997. That means Cam, Cox , or Campbell never did that. We should have won the State and Arky games and could have won the Ole Miss game. I would much rather see " our genius offensive coach" work the offense around Sean than bring in another running QB. Isn't that what everyone has always said about Gus? That he fits his offense to his players. Well not this year.

Even if we can have sustained success (9-10 wins a year) with Sean, we should still go after Jenkins. Ensure quality depth, you know?

Yep,more ways than one to skin a cat.Crowe seems to be real high on Jenkins, thinks he could really help at QB.More qb's the merrier and the competition has to help make them all better.Maybe one will be great.I still think SW can get it done but most seem to think Gus can only win with a DT QB.

After the first half of the Arky game two years ago most did not believe that a DT QB was necessary for Gus' offense to work. One bad Heisman favorite goes bust this year and his backup gets hurt and suddenly Gus cant win without one. I don't believe this for a minute.

I honestly can not understand why everyone wants all these QBs.

So if our coach thinks he can get a better quarterback than what we have... he should just say, "Nah, our guy's 'very solid'"...? Also, you seem to think that a few stat lines make you more informed than our coach about our quarterback's skill level.

I'm as big a Sean White fan as there is- feel free to search my handle in his recruiting thread- but if Gus thinks he needs a better guy, then so be it. Not to mention the depth issue. Behind Sean White we have 2 true freshmen- remember, Tyler Queen only has 1 spring and 1 throwing arm surgery under his belt- and a guy who many think will end up at WR. No, I don't count Jeremy Johnson as a candidate to play quarterback in 2016.

It's the most important position on the field and we neither a proven starter nor quality depth. Grab 'em if you can, Gus.

Has there been a smidgen of info from Gus or anyone close to the situation that would lead one to believe that our staff is interested in this player? I've been looking and I haven't seen anything to indicate that there is any interest from either party. Jack Crowe's comment excepted.

If JJ doesn't transfer, we'll have five QB's on scholarship next season. Eli would be six. That would be something I've never seen before and I simply don't see it happening.

After the first half of the Arky game two years ago most did not believe that a DT QB was necessary for Gus' offense to work. One bad Heisman favorite goes bust this year and his backup gets hurt and suddenly Gus cant win without one. I don't believe this for a minute.

I think part of it is the way the offense was called with SW in the game. We ran pretty much the same offense with a few more pass plays at times. The same zone read with the rb keeping it more.

We were envisioning a true offensive genious who structured his game plan around his player strengths. What I saw was something that looked more like a one trick pony regardless of whether there was a pocket passer or dt guy in there.

I think a lot of people are saying, if we are going to run the same offense, you may as well stick with a dt qb. Why put in a pocket passer with moderate moves and speed at best and run a bunch of zone read?

I hope that if SW starts next year that one or two of these freshman receivers step up with our returning guys and we pick up where SW left off before getting hurt. I hope our OC and his mentor can modify their gameplan a little more and not rely on the threat of a qb run as much to be successful. If not, I hope SW can stay healthy.

However, if the gameplan you are calling relies heavily on the threat of a qb run to maximize it's success, it kind of makes sense to have a qb that can run and throw in there.

I think part of it is the way the offense was called with SW in the game. We ran pretty much the same offense with a few more pass plays at times. The same zone read with the rb keeping it more.

We were envisioning a true offensive genious who structured his game plan around his player strengths. What I saw was something that looked more like a one trick pony regardless of whether there was a pocket passer or dt guy in there.

I think a lot of people are saying, if we are going to run the same offense, you may as well stick with a dt qb. Why put in a pocket passer with moderate moves and speed at best and run a bunch of zone read?

I hope that if SW starts next year that one or two of these freshman receivers step up with our returning guys and we pick up where SW left off before getting hurt. I hope our OC and his mentor can modify their gameplan a little more and not rely on the threat of a qb run as much to be successful. If not, I hope SW can stay healthy.

However, if the gameplan you are calling relies heavily on the threat of a qb run to maximize it's success, it kind of makes sense to have a qb that can run and throw in there.

I am in the camp that we can win with either a pocket passer or a DT, but you are correct we have to make adjustments in the offense to do it. I didn't see those adjustments last year but that doesn't mean that we won't see it this year if SW wins the job early enough to plan around him.

Has there been a smidgen of info from Gus or anyone close to the situation that would lead one to believe that our staff is interested in this player?

WDEWDE has said there's smoke. I saw it mentioned elsewhere, don't remember where. So no, but any info about Auburn recruiting a player who still has a game to play for his current college would not be coming from Auburn (they can't discuss players by name) or any other normal channel, I'd think.

If JJ doesn't transfer, we'll have five QB's on scholarship next season.

That's if Franklin does indeed end up at QB and if Queen is healthy. And I can't imagine a scenario in which Jeremy Johnson ever sees the field again as an Auburn quarterback, particularly not at the expense of a guy as talented as Jenkins.

Are 6 QBs too many ? I'm going to have to disagree with my friend Mikey here. This season proved you can start with 4 and before you know it 1 goes under the knife, 1 freezes up, 1 gets injured, 1 is a reserve so you go back to the first one to finish the season. Right now we will go into 2016 with 5 QBs but if you look at the true reality of the situation we aren't loaded.

* JJ- a Senior who had his chance to be the starter but it just hasn't worked out. He does have experience so he is able to fill a backup or an emergency QB role.

* JF3- a Junior JuCo, totally unproven at the D1 level.

* Sean White- a sophomore with promise and starting experience.

* Queen- a RFreshman coming off injury with no D1 game experience.

* Barrett- a TFreshman with no D1 experience. True Freshmen at the QB position don't really count.

I look up there and I see 1 QB in Sean White that we know for sure can play at an acceptable level in the SEC but he is also one 1 play away from reinjuring his knee. So not only is a 6th QB (a Jenkins or someone else) not too many for us for "next" year, but we may need to look at even more. After the questions on all of the QBs listed above have been answered, we might not need more than 5 (4 playing at an acceptable level + 1 TFr) in subsequent years.

I am in the camp that we can win with either a pocket passer or a DT, but you are correct we have to make adjustments in the offense to do it. I didn't see those adjustments last year but that doesn't mean that we won't see it this year if SW wins the job early enough to plan around him.

That's what I'm hoping for if SW wins the job.

I'm with IronMan on this one.

I'm using the same logic I used to agree with Mikey about the LB situation. If we have 5,6, or more QBs on the roster and none of them can cut it, we need to pursue more until we find one that does. This is the most important position on the team, especially a CGM team. In order to field a good team, we have to field a good QB. It's as simple as that. Of the ones on roster, SW shows promise.

And then you have....

JF3 could be Nick Marshall 2.0, or he could be no good at the QB position. We don't know yet. We have high hopes for Woody in the future, but he doesn't provide much hope for 2016. Queen was a big question mark, and then he had surgery on his throwing arm. I don't expect much from him. JJ still has a lot of potential with his size, arm, and athletic ability, but a total meltdown like he had this year is VERY tough to come back from, and his play towards the end of the season, along with the play-calling, did not suggest he is moving in that direction. So I expect very little from him in 2016.

That's not a great QB situation. If the coaches want to bring in Eli as a 6th QB, and he takes the opportunity, I will welcome him with open arms.(Yes, I was a Journey fan back in the day)

There's still rumours that JJ is transferring..

I will welcome him with open arms.(Yes, I was a Journey fan back in the day)

I'll bring the Cuervo Gold and the fine Columbian. Okay, maybe just the tequila.

I wouldn't write Queen off so soon. He looked very good in the A-day game. I believe had Queen been healthy he'd have been our QB after White got injured, instead of JJ making a second try.

Any eord on how well his surgery went?

Wrong thread. Lowell Narcisse.

Tqueen had surgery which I think was what 88 was asking about.

Yes. Shoulda quoted Mikey. It was the post above mine.

Yes. Shoulda quoted Mikey. It was the post above mine.

My bad. I'm a foolish!

Archived