JSU QB Eli Jenkins

McLoofus

Well first off Auburn can't contact him while the playoffs are still going on. Second its the dead period and what the hell else do we have to take about in recruiting and finally I have heard AU has some interest

Alll America high school games maybe? There are plenty of interviews and what not of recruits that we have actually offered and that are actually confirmed to be interested in Auburn.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO he would be making a BIG mistake to leave...watching how AU makes QB decisions and our QB coaching....well he might not have a level playing field and it's an open question as whether he would become a better QB playing at AU.

The guy's got it made where he is, he's in the championship....no chance that any NFL team will overlook him.

Well first off Auburn can't contact him while the playoffs are still going on. Second its the dead period and what the hell else do we have to take about in recruiting and finally I have heard AU has some interest

Alll America high school games maybe? There are plenty of interviews and what not of recruits that we have actually offered and that are actually confirmed to be interested in Auburn.

i think he must officially announce his intentions to transfer before any team contacts him. Then he will be recruitable so teams cannot discuss him at all. That is my novice understanding of it.

IMO he would be making a BIG mistake to leave...watching how AU makes QB decisions and our QB coaching....well he might not have a level playing field and it's an open question as whether he would become a better QB playing at AU.

The guy's got it made where he is, he's in the championship....no chance that any NFL team will overlook him.

My sentiments exactly on this one. FCS recruits can go very high. After Jimmy Garoppolo who we played against SEVERAL times (And got torched by) went to the NFL in the 2nd round, Eli had mentioned something about it being possible to do again. In all honesty, it would be a better and more lucrative decision to declare after this year should there be a win on Saturday rather than try to double up. Even though his passing stats aren't as gaudy as Garoppolo's stats, his rushing stats more than make up for that gap as well as him only playing 3 years. Not to mention, 3 back to back play off and conference championships speaks A LOT louder than what Garoppolo did after his stints at EIU. Those accomplishments will speak louder because there is an inherent leadership component that pro teams look at. Not to mention, this years QB draft class is weak as water.

i think he must officially announce his intentions to transfer before any team contacts him. Then he will be recruitable so teams cannot discuss him at all. That is my novice understanding of it.

You'd be correct. Also he must get a PTC and with any of it's stipulations teams must abide by. Those could include, specific schools, or schools in a certain state or conference. Can't imagine Grass doing such, since mine was so clean, but still, college football is crazy.

I can't believe that he would leave without some type of guaranty and I don't think Gus would promise that with the QB's we already have + the ones coming in. The best he could say is you will have a chance to be #1. This kid has a real chance a making an NFL team if he has a great Senior year. I he comes to Auburn and doesn't start that's gone. It's a big chance to take. It could be great for us and him if he decides to do it though.

If he comes here and can't beat out one of our QB's then I'm not sure he had the skills to make an NFL squad because none of the QB's we currently have are making an NFL roster any time soon.

How did our QB situation get so bad? How can so many other teams do fine with their second-string QBs when we have to catch JUCO lightning in a bottle to do well? Why do we completely melt down every three to four years? I just don't get it!

If your starting QB unexpectedly goes blank when the lights come on, your 2nd team QB gets hurt and your 3rd team QB is out because of arm surgery there is going to be a problem. Period. And there's not one flippin' thing any coaching staff in the world can do about it. Don't even bring up Baylor. That's been gone over and over in plenty of other threads. Is this plain enough for you to finally "get it"?

Why can't everyone get this?^^^^^

SW had 3 straight 250 yard passing games. That hasn't happened at AU since 97. Why can't some people on this board get that through their thick skulls? I think they've just wrongly decided the only good qbs are dt which is very very very far from the truth. Can we please stop this ridiculous debate in every damn thread that talks about any qb?

3 straight 250 games has to be the worst stat ever....

How are there bad or good stats? Stats are stats. Some you or I may not like, but if they are accurate (and three straight 250 yard games for the first time in 18 years is accurate) then there's not much to say. Unless of course, you really, really wish he hadn't accomplished that.

How are there bad or good stats? Stats are stats. Some you or I may not like, but if they are accurate (and three straight 250 yard games for the first time in 18 years is accurate) then there's not much to say. Unless of course, you really, really wish he hadn't accomplished that.

I think you're misunderstanding Cole. He has no hate for Sean. He's actually defended him many times against the sillier things people have said around here. I think he was being facetious above.

If he can come in and win the starting job I'm all for it. I will same the same for JF3 and Woody also. I think now that we know what SW (who is the leading candidate to start to me) can do, if anyone comes in and beats him out I think we are in good shape.

If he can come in and win the starting job I'm all for it. I will same the same for JF3 and Woody also. I think now that we know what SW (who is the leading candidate to start to me) can do, if anyone comes in and beats him out I think we are in good shape.

This seems like such an obvious stance, and yet the sound logic and rationale behind it elude so many.

The same as whatever stats JJ put up and the positive signs that were showed against the inferior teams (a&m and Idaho I think) but the streak was a little different when bammer came, then looking ok again against Memphis....all stats can be manipulated. And I understand that you don't actually know anything of actually playing the game but who you play matters....Then you can look at one game went into four ot's...

But actually you do understand because I was happy for the women's basketball team in that thread and of course you came and mentioned about previous years and all of that and these first 14 games doesn't tell an entire story and beating the no 6 team in the nation once doesn't validate them.....of course that's just because you don't like that particular coach for whatever reason.....

But you do love you some SW so now you can take that sample against those opponents. Let Kris frost had two good games against Idaho and San Jose st back to back and you wouldn't ever shut up if somebody God forbid had said he was good....

I actually like the way you talk two sides out of your face....I guess some on here value your opinions....sometimes their good when you don't care for the player. But if you love them, you'll make up anything and it's funny.

I think you're misunderstanding Cole. He has no hate for Sean. He's actually defended him many times against the sillier things people have said around here. I think he was being facetious above.

What does facetious mean? Wait a minute I'll be back....

Ok. I am, but I'm not. Two of those teams really did suck. But he did do it. I guess it's the 15 year part bringing it up as he did something that many couldn't do that makes me laugh. I think our last 3 or 4 qb's could have did the same against these particular teams.

And loof keep it with words I know the meaning of....I'm simple. Something like the mcloof/mcdoof joke I see on here from time to time....Now that's good ol simple comedy right there! LOL!

Only other thing to remember about passing yard stats is that you can throw 10 screens a game and if 2-4 of those screens break for any significant amount of yards, you will have inflated passing statistics. Now if we are looking at those passing stats downfield, that would tell the entire tale. More specific stats inherently carry more value than vague, catch-all stats. I remember the screen game was definitely thriving in those games as Gus hadn't put his trust in Sean to throw anything near the middle of the field in that post/in area. That right there is the metric of a good QB because of the difficulty of those throws. If a QB can throw into the flats all day and let the WR do all of the work and get up field and create those YAC, which will be counted as passing yards, then theoretically you could just insert a wild cat in the game and give him the option to throw screens all day. Would he be considered a good QB despite having those coveted "Big Yard games"? Make no mistake, I take no ones side in this whole QB battle fiasco because I tend to stray away from all the speculation. There are much better metrics for evaluating the worth of a QB than simply TDs or passing yards, because otherwise we'd have re-crowned JJ for next season.

The same as whatever stats JJ put up and the positive signs that were showed against the inferior teams (a&m and Idaho I think) but the streak was a little different when bammer came, then looking ok again against Memphis....all stats can be manipulated. And I understand that you don't actually know anything of actually playing the game but who you play matters....Then you can look at one game went into four ot's...

But actually you do understand because I was happy for the women's basketball team in that thread and of course you came and mentioned about previous years and all of that and these first 14 games doesn't tell an entire story and beating the no 6 team in the nation once doesn't validate them.....of course that's just because you don't like that particular coach for whatever reason.....

But you do love you some SW so now you can take that sample against those opponents. Let Kris frost had two good games against Idaho and San Jose st back to back and you wouldn't ever shut up if somebody God forbid had said he was good....

I actually like the way you talk two sides out of your face....I guess some on here value your opinions....sometimes their good when you don't care for the player. But if you love them, you'll make up anything and it's funny.

I'll just stay from this, for the most part some of my sentiments are echoed in the beginning 2 portions of the post.

I don't see any problem there...but as far as the OP is concerned, why should a guy who is starting in the FCS championship game leave that team and "try out" for Auburn or any other FBS team for next year ?

Unless I'm really missing something, there is absolutely nothing for him to gain by leaving JSU to take a chance that he can impress the coaches at AU. He's a good QB playing for a good team and will be on national TV on Saturday. That to me is about all anyone could ask for.

I'm just giving another perspective, I don't necessarily think this, but the THOUGHT crossed my mind. Who's to say this guy is that good? Because he killed is early in the year? We were horrible then. People question Franklin coming from juco but not this guy? And isn't he playing under an offensive guru? Maybe they are making it easier for him

I'm just giving another perspective, I don't necessarily think this, but the THOUGHT crossed my mind. Who's to say this guy is that good? Because he killed is early in the year? We were horrible then. People question Franklin coming from juco but not this guy? And isn't he playing under an offensive guru? Maybe they are making it easier for him

If Flex, who actually knows him, says the kid has a shot at the NFL, I'm inclined to believe him. That being said, Flex is also saying that he has heard nothing about him even wanting to transfer, so this whole thread is kind of questionable.

there is absolutely nothing for him to gain by leaving JSU to take a chance that he can impress the coaches at AU.

If he were to win the job at Auburn and succeed, his draft stock would be vastly higher than it would after another year at any level of success at JSU. That said, I agree that it seems hard to believe it's worth the risk for the kid.

I started the thread because some trusted folks were saying there was smoke here. I'm totally okay if it gets nuked, though.

And cole, I look at the tape and see a really good QB. Yes, good coaching can put him in positions to succeed, but there are skills that can't be coached and I see them in this guy when I watch him play. I feel the same way when I watch Jerod Evans's tape. Those same skills don't jump off the screen for me when I watch JF3's highlights.

Edit: I'm have no illusions about my skills as a quarterback analyst. As in, I'm well aware that I has none.

If Flex, who actually knows him, says the kid has a shot at the NFL, I'm inclined to believe him. That being said, Flex is also saying that he has heard nothing about him even wanting to transfer, so this whole thread is kind of questionable.

I believe that Eli would be able to come into this offense and do great in all honesty. Though at the same time, because of the politics and everything else involved, there are too many questions and uncertain circumstances to warrant a surefire transfer. If you watch all of his games, he definitely is as good as advertised, he used to have a bad habit of always trying to go for the home-run but maturity has definitely settled him down on that. Out of all the QBs I caught from, Max Shortell from Minnesota included (Dude loved to rifle that thing man.), he definitely threw the most catch-able ball. I believe the offense has some to do with it, but at the same time, even that is limited because Grass is a good offensive minded coach, but to assign Guru titles to everyone is sort of passe'.

there is absolutely nothing for him to gain by leaving JSU to take a chance that he can impress the coaches at AU.

If he were to win the job at Auburn and succeed, his draft stock would be vastly higher than it would after another year at any level of success at JSU. That said, I agree that it seems hard to believe it's worth the risk for the kid.

I started the thread because some trusted folks were saying there was smoke here. I'm totally okay if it gets nuked, though.

And cole, I look at the tape and see a really good QB. Yes, good coaching can put him in positions to succeed, but there are skills that can't be coached and I see them in this guy when I watch him play. I feel the same way when I watch Jerod Evans's tape. Those same skills don't jump off the screen for me when I watch JF3's highlights.

Edit: I'm have no illusions about my skills as a quarterback analyst. As in, I'm well aware that I has none.

And that Draft Stock increase is very relative, because as I mentioned, Jimmy Garoppolo who played in the OVC and against JSU, yet has significantly less accomplishments than Eli during his time under the helm went fairly early in the 2nd round to the patriots, and with the QB draft class this year being so marginal at best, it would be more lucrative to come out now rather than put everything at risk for a stint at Auburn. Even if he were to succeed here, it's hard to say that he could really make THAT astronomical of a leap from high 2nd round by staying at an FCS to high first round at an FBS. Especially with so many other QBs on the rise next year. Plus NFL teams aren't guaranteed to be hurting for starting QBs next year as they are now.

And that Draft Stock increase is very relative, because as I mentioned, Jimmy Garoppolo who played in the OVC and against JSU, yet has significantly less accomplishments than Eli during his time under the helm went fairly early in the 2nd round to the patriots, and with the QB draft class this year being so marginal at best, it would be more lucrative to come out now rather than put everything at risk for a stint at Auburn. Even if he were to succeed here, it's hard to say that he could really make THAT astronomical of a leap from high 2nd round by staying at an FCS to high first round at an FBS. Especially with so many other QBs on the rise next year. Plus NFL teams aren't guaranteed to be hurting for starting QBs next year as they are now.

Great points, all.

I don't see any problem there...but as far as the OP is concerned, why should a guy who is starting in the FCS championship game leave that team and "try out" for Auburn or any other FBS team for next year ?

Unless I'm really missing something, there is absolutely nothing for him to gain by leaving JSU to take a chance that he can impress the coaches at AU. He's a good QB playing for a good team and will be on national TV on Saturday. That to me is about all anyone could ask for.

Because he can go from playing maybe 2-3 games on TV next year to playing all his games on TV. If he is good enough to make an NFL roster as a QB now then he is probably good enough to win the starting job at AU. So, if he's that good, he easily gives AU 3-4 more wins next year if not more. That would mean AU is possibly playing for a SEC championship and definitely a new years day bowl. That' WAY more exposure than an FCS championship run. How many people pay attention to FCS games even the championship games??? Do you know the starting QB for NDSU without looking it up???

Edit: This is all predicated on the assumption some have made that he could play in the NFL at QB

If the NFL is his goal, why not just declare for the draft? I see nothing that benefits him from coming to AU for another season.

If the NFL is his goal, why not just declare for the draft? I see nothing that benefits him from coming to AU for another season.

This.... As I have reiterated, there is only so much you can do moving up to the SEC unless everything goes right. Cam's meteoric rise was unprecedented and almost a once in a generation event. The reality of becoming the #1 pick after 1 season, especially if ALL of the pieces aren't correct is too great. You risk too much of getting caught in politics and dealing with injuries, as well as adverse circumstances. The NFL scouts will watch ALL your games if they're interested, whether they are on national TV or not. If you make noise, a scout will find you, and that is at ANY level. I've seen several players scouted heavily in the Crowe days when JSU wasn't even a blip on the FCS championship radar. The SEC isn't the end all be all, rather if you get into it, good, but if you don't there are other ways to go. His stock is much higher if he were to declare now rather than try to go through hoops and come to AU. Granted if he were to do it and succeed, there would be some gain, though it's just not a worthwhile risk. Got the degree, got the accolades, go for the pay day.

Well being as he usually say things I've said before he started posting or at least I saw him posting and he says things now that I share the same view I'm a fan of his. And like I said I don't necessarily feel that way but I was just wondering as I see the questions about Franklin it makes me think about Eli as well.

And flex do you know Daniel Jackson? Or have you met Oscar bonds?

Archived