Alabama top 20

AuburnSpider

Those two players that went to MSU, #9 and 10 in the state, are both linebackers. I'm hoping this won't happen next year when we aren't having a big turnover in the defensive staff. As badly as we needed LB's in this class the idea of those two choosing MSU is rather depressing.

#7 was a linebacker from Hoover who signed with Florida. #17 was a linebacker from Montgomery who signed with Louisville. And there are more. I know they were mentioned here but did Auburn even offer any of these guys?

W/O looking them up I don't think so

Neither did uat.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those two players that went to MSU, #9 and 10 in the state, are both linebackers. I'm hoping this won't happen next year when we aren't having a big turnover in the defensive staff. As badly as we needed LB's in this class the idea of those two choosing MSU is rather depressing.

#7 was a linebacker from Hoover who signed with Florida. #17 was a linebacker from Montgomery who signed with Louisville. And there are more. I know they were mentioned here but did Auburn even offer any of these guys?

Neither did uat.

No disrespect but, uat don't have to offer those guys. They are getting 5*s and we are getting nothing.

Neither did uat.

No disrespect but, uat don't have to offer those guys. They are getting 5*s and we are getting nothing.

WDE's point still being Bama did not offer cuz in their minds most in state kids this year were not close enough to Bama targets to offer. If their talent was close as other targets I guarantee you Bama offers. W/ AU in their minds they did not see offering spots to kids that would take up scholly & IC but not contribute in their minds. They will be wrong on a few as every staff is but that was their thinking & right or wrong they get paid big bucks to make those decisions.

FTR AU only gave out 7 committable offers to the 2016 in state class. We had many a year where we signed more than 7 in state. That tells you what the staff thinks about this year's crop.

AU's LBer class will look like this years WR's class. So I'm told.

I really really really want to believe you! Im just skeptical at the moment for the obvious reasons.

Who are the stud LB targets we have a shot with?

I really really really want to believe you! Im just skeptical at the moment for the obvious reasons.

Markail Benton, Will Ignont, & TD Moultry maybe if Bama does not want him. He grew up a Bama fan.

Neither did uat.

WDE's point still being Bama did not offer cuz in their minds most in state kids this year were not close enough to Bama targets to offer. If their talent was close as other targets I guarantee you Bama offers. W/ AU in their minds they did not see offering spots to kids that would take up scholly & IC but not contribute in their minds. They will be wrong on a few as every staff is but that was their thinking & right or wrong they get paid big bucks to make those decisions.

Bammer can pick and choose, we can't. Florida, MSU (X2) and Louisville all thought our in-state linebackers, in addition to the two signed by UAT, were worth signing. So, seven linebackers from Alabama signed power-5 scholarships and we got only one. There's no way to look at that except as failure and we KNEW that LB's were a critical need.

About that '17 class, I'll believe it when I see it. This time last year all the talk was about what a big number of quality LB's there were in our recruiting area and what good shape we were in with them. That didn't turn out very well at all. Until I read about the NLI's rolling in off the fax machine next February I'll be very, very skeptical.

Markail Benton, Will Ignont, & TD Moultry maybe if Bama does not want him. He grew up a Bama fan.

Thanks Ellitor.

I remember hearing the Markail Benton name now. Those guys would make quite the class.

OK....just wondering how guys apparently are good enough to play for Florida, Miss State or even Michigan...but not AU. Just noticing that 23of the top 30 went to Power 5 conference and we got 5 of them. I know sometimes it's a matter of need but i get the feeling that we blow some kids off as "not AU material" when it might be a matter that we can't get them committed. JMO

everyone has read where others have applauded Gus and staff for bringing in quality players that QUALIFY.....Without knowing a thing about the in state players we passed on, this could also be a reason they were not pursued. Not the character they are looking for, grade or potential grade issues, etc................ just thinking out loud, and trying to fit multiple thought processes together to make sense.

OK....just wondering how guys apparently are good enough to play for Florida, Miss State or even Michigan...but not AU. Just noticing that 23of the top 30 went to Power 5 conference and we got 5 of them. I know sometimes it's a matter of need but i get the feeling that we blow some kids off as "not AU material" when it might be a matter that we can't get them committed. JMO

There are more variables then you can imagine. I would imagine that we put out feelers to a lot of kids who just say "no" straight out, because they have their dream schools and we're not one of them. There are also questions of character, academics, fit, etc. Gus is very particular about the kinds of kids he recruits. That has a lot to do with why we don't have a lot of discipline problems and why we've had a 100% enrollment over the past 2 years.

While I certainly don't get it whenever we leave a Linebacker on the table, at the same time, I have no idea what Gus and crew have seen from each of these kids, what discussions they've had with them, their coaches, etc. All I know is 3*+ linebacker. Unfortunately that isn't always good enough. And let's be honest, Auburn is not Mississippi State. When they start beating us head-to-head for big name recruits, that's when we can start panicking.

I really hate to put it this way but if you truly & honestly believe that then you know next to nothing about state of Alabama recruiting. W/ rare exceptions as when CDC was at FSU, if AU or Bama want them then they stay home. Period!

As for MSU they aren't on AU or Bama's level long term. As for Florida they are not recruiting well overall w/ relation to talent available to them as I stated yesterday. w/ 47 4*s or better in Florida the Gators only getting 4 is pathetic.

I really hate to put it this way but if you truly & honestly believe that then you know next to nothing about state of Alabama recruiting. W/ rare exceptions as when CDC was at FSU, if AU or Bama want them then they stay home. Period!

As for MSU they aren't on AU or Bama's level long term. As for Florida they are not recruiting well overall w/ relation to talent available to them as I stated yesterday. w/ 47 4*s or better in Florida the Gators only getting 4 is pathetic.

I can back this up Fl. CJM is getting big time heat for this. His excuse was we did not want to concentrate on any specific geographical area in the state. Say what???

Yes, we're getting fine classes, but what are our coaches doing with them after they get to Auburn? their not coaching them up and getting the best out of them each and every week. Don't believe me? go back and watch the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Yes, we're getting fine classes, but what are our coaches doing with them after they get to Auburn? their not coaching them up and getting the best out of them each and every week. Don't believe me? go back and watch the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

His first recruiting class was 2013, what is on the field is his players, especially offensively going into this season, lets see what happens. If you are wrong will you eat your crow and please stop the stupid posts as a side bet? If you need explanation on stupid posts we can work this out as well and I will donate $100 to the charity of your choice

I'll start panicking when they beat us on the field with guys we didn't want. Oh wait....

You beat me to it. We can talk about qualifying and other unknown factors but when we whiff on that many in-state players at a position of need it starts to sound more like excuses than reasons. If they have the grades to get into MSU, UF or Louisville they have the grades to get into Auburn. We all go by the NCAA's standards.

"Whiff"? I haven't looked at any of these kids' profiles, admittedly, but wonder how many of them were pursued by and/or had commitable offers to AU.

"Whiff"? I haven't looked at any of these kids' profiles, admittedly, but wonder how many of them were pursued by and/or had commitable offers to AU.

Possibly none of them, and that's what is very, very concerning. WTH is going on?

When I say whiff I'm saying players in our grasp that we turn away. Players like Cunningham for vandy, and Davis for Florida. So I'm saying making the right guys the priority. And I know every school has misses but we have to be very particular where we're thin at. We need to get those right

Archived