The polls, MNC, and SECCG

jared52

I have mostly been trolling this week as I have been working alot this week producing a video for our church's homecoming. I would read a little a leave, not commenting on the numerous "what if" threads and "what should be" posts. While I have no real issue with the hopes that this season is as special (or more so) as 1993, I just think we are still preoccupied with what the nation perceives as Auburn football.

When we started the season in the top 20 I though we were about right. We have a favorable schedule ahead of us and a solid senior-lead offense who should have learned a lot from last year. We have a head coach who is growing up fast and is learning from his mistakes. We had some questions at the beginning of the season, i.e who is this Borges guy and can JC ACTUALLY learn another offense? In the first 5 games we answered many of those questions with a resounding, "Yes!" As each game approached I became more confident in our team's ability to produce yards and stop the biggest threats of the other team. The UT game showed me that our coaches knew how to prepare our guys. That has been an issue in the past. Now on to the mindset of the AU fan at this point.

Mindset #1: "World Beaters or Sunshine Pumpers"

I refuse to name names for fear of leaving someone out but we have a few of these in our midst. This season has given them the green light to pump and pump. Who is to say they are wrong. We have dispatched two top 10 teams and not allowed a glimmer of hope to the weaker teams. Very few poor decisions by coaches and players. One game of dropped balls fixed by one catch on fourth down against LSU.

Mindset #2: "Cautiously Optimistic or Level Headers"

Having been an AU fan since I can remember (I am 27), I have seen my share of broken dreams. Last year being the worst. This group wants nothing more than to run the table but is neither courageous enough or stupid enough (which ever side you are on) to call it. They always see room for improvement and how some strength the other team has will give us fits on Saturday. They see past years' performances as possible indicators of future results. They aren't saying we are going to lose, but they like to predict those 1-2 point finishes.

Mindset #3: "Pessimist's Club or the Doomsdayers"

Since the Auburn Tigers have jumped out to a 6-0 start, most of these guys are in their hole. Oh they pull for AU, but if the game is lost, especially on a bad decision or preparation, all H-E-Double Hockey Sticks breaks loose. They told you so. They KNEW that AU wouldn't be ready or they would have their annual letdown this time. They call for the heads of coaches and players alike. They would have done this or that differently. They aren't here now... but they are lurking...

All that said... let's shoot for this mindset:

Mindset #4: "Auburn Fan or Plainsman or Plainswoman"

The true Auburn fan exists, but they seem to be harder to find these days. The desire to win exceeds the normal persons desire to see their university represented fairly and proudly. The true AU fan cares not about rank, sportswriters opinion, or sports radio dribble. They love Auburn because it is AUBURN. Win or lose it's still great to be an Auburn Tiger.

Let's keep this in mind as we go throughout the season. Let's lean toward being true Auburn fans (not that a majority of our board is not). Let keep up the winning, but most importantly, lets be Auburn fans. No matter where we are ranked, how we are viewed by the media or what the rest of the college football world says.

War Eagle

When the final whistle blows tomorrow, win or lose, I'll still say "It's great to be an Auburn Tiger," because it is, always has been, and always will be.

Mindset #4:  "Auburn Fan or Plainsman or Plainswoman"

The true Auburn fan exists, but they seem to be harder to find these days. 

War Eagle

111638[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with that statement. I can use the example of many of the posters on this board. Some, like myself, have been an AU fan for 30 or 40 years, or even more than that. I have been an Auburn fan since 1963. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. And I still get a thrill when I drive down College Street and see Toomer's Corner. I see things I remember from the 60s and they bring back good memories of my time spent here.

I proudly display my Auburn diploma on the wall of my office, a replica in my study at home, and have Auburn decals and tags plastered all over all three of my vehicles. I have a wife who went to AU, but finished at NC State, two sons with AU Engineering degrees, and a deep love for all things Auburn. And there are thousands of other AU grads out there who do not follow football, but they love the university just as much.

I love the TIGERS because of AUBURN. :au:

This is the "Once a Year" road trip for me and jaydubb. The lovelly bride has agreed to relinquish her ticket for this one , so long as we do not even think about asking for her seat at the ga puppy game. :)

We will do our part to raise a little ^&*$&* and be very vocal about our fellings for OUR Tigers.

The van is gased and loaded. There is a definate "nip" in the Fall air. The Tigers are playing Football, God is in His Heaven and,...All is right with the world ! ! !

WAR DAMN EAGLE ....Let's kick some pig ! ! ! ! :cheer:

War Eagle

111638[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with that statement. I can use the example of many of the posters on this board. Some, like myself, have been an AU fan for 30 or 40 years, or even more than that. I have been an Auburn fan since 1963. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. And I still get a thrill when I drive down College Street and see Toomer's Corner. I see things I remember from the 60s and they bring back good memories of my time spent here.

I proudly display my Auburn diploma on the wall of my office, a replica in my study at home, and have Auburn decals and tags plastered all over all three of my vehicles. I have a wife who went to AU, but finished at NC State, two sons with AU Engineering degrees, and a deep love for all things Auburn. And there are thousands of other AU grads out there who do not follow football, but they love the university just as much.

111669[/snapback]

I am with you, if anything the legions of Auburn faithful are only growing. I have been a Auburn fan since the day I was born(82'), heck I am even born on the biggest weekend of all for Auburn. Some get very excited when they see the Tigers doing so well, so what if they want to share it with everyone. It doesnt make them any more or less of a fan than those who always stay on the side of realism. I do my best to stay there but I see us do well and I like to think big but I know all to well the up's and down's, good play and bad play, let downs and all the like. I have stood by Auburn good or bad and never once has my love and devotion to the Auburn family wavered, and it never will. :au::au::au: WAR EAGLE FOREVER!!! :au::au::au: lets go take care of the :arky:

War Eagle

111638[/snapback]

I am sorry, I should have said this a little better. In hindsight, I don't even thing I conveyed my thoughs about all this very well at all. There are many TRUE Auburn fans here. But the Auburn fans I talk to are so snake-bitten from last year they are sliding to the pessimistic side.

Sorry if I hurt any feelings... my point was for us to not worry about the media, polls or others and focus on Auburn. I don't care that in week 7 we aren't ranked ahead of teams we are playing better than... I just love Auburn football. Sure, it is much easier to watch when we are winning, but that doen't mean I wouldn't wear my AU shirt to work on Monday after a loss. Even I fall into the wrong fan mode sometimes; I didn't mean to sound high and mighty. I just wanted to remind us all during this good time that we are to continue this support no matter what unfolds!

WAR EAGLE! BEAT ARKY!

I have followed Auburn all of my life. I have had a very different perspective on the Tigers because I was born and raised in Tuscaloosa. I have been around Bama fans in every aspect of my life and I have noticed something about the fans of Auburn and Alabama. Bama fans can't accept that their team is not where it use to be. The championships are not rolling in and the nation no longer veiws them as a national powerhouse, and they can't accept that. Auburn on the other hand, is not use to being ranked this high and receiving all of this positive press. It has caused alot of fans on this board and many of the other auburn boards to become paranoid. They say things like don't talk about our ranking you could jinx us. Or they are so afraid to say anything positive about the Tigers because of what might happen. I think we should all relax and enjoy watching these tigers do simething they haven't done in a while. Maybe this is finally our time. Enjoy the game today guys and gals.

W.D.E.

Here's 2 more pennies...

Don't forget that there are a lot of :au: fans and loyalists out there that love :au: so much that sometime out of pure fustration towards seeing :au: do poorly in ANY CAPACITY they vent on boards like this one.

This doesn't mean that they do not love :au: , or that they don't bleed orange and blue when that little vessel on the side of there head bursts, and they go on their opposite side of the fence riding, armchair coaching, speaking of coaching-fire them all and hire Spurrier, that was a real :homer: comment filled :rant: session.

To me it simply means that they love :au: sooooo much that they are willing to openly make a :moon: out of themselves to prove just how much they care!!!

It's kinda endearing if you ask me.....

:big::big::big:

WDE!!!!

Archived