2016 3* RB Malik Miller (AU commit 6/11/15)

McLoofus

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the way so many are experts on Running Back position. Saying this kid or that kid won't make it or will have a limited role. The same Experts who had Jovon Robinson as our starting RB and Peyton Barber as our 4th string RB. Analyses of player talent is an inexact science. The top two NFL running back statistically were Walter Peyton and Emmit Smith everybody knew they were good but they were a little to small and a little to slow to be great. There are things you don't see that can change how a player performs. Vision, balance, work ethic, desire, durability at the HS level so many kids do well because of measurable that we often don't see what will make them great at the next level.

Those same experts that called us crazy when it was suggested that Sean White might win the starting QB job this year. I really doubted that it would actually happen but stated that it was possible if the coaches really go with the player that gives us the best chance to win. There are a lot of "experts" on this forum Tex.

• 3 weeks later...

Sucks, but seems like it shouldn't change a lot for us and Miller. He wasn't being brought here to replace Robinson, Barber, Thomas, and Johnson next season. Even if you think he's an H-Back, Pettway and Cox should have a strong lead on him (you hope). He's a RB for the future. I'm assuming we stick with him and he with us.

Hate it for him though. Pretty tough this late in his senior year.

• 2 months later...

Good read. Only makes me that much more enthusiastic about this kid. It's a shame that so many fans are sleeping on him.

“Malik is a great combo of power and quickness,” Madison Academy coach Eric Cohu said. “He’s a big powerful back, but is very quick and tough to tackle. He’s a hard-nosed runner. A different style of runner than I think people are used to seeing.”

Cohu sees Miller fitting in well playing for a coach who values versatile offensive players.

“He’s got great hands,” Cohu said. “We threw him lots of screens and put him on the outside to get mismatches against linebackers.”

“I had to remind him to be a kid sometimes,” Lemeco Miller said. “He’s got that clock-in, clock-out attitude. He’s always been a serious kid. He would wake up and hit the gym or the field and just go to work.”

Cohu sees Malik’s personality serving him well at the next level.

“He’s going to be the poster guy there for guys they recruit,” Cohu said.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article57936048.html

Sounds like a kid that will work his way up the charts and prove people wrong who think we will be a blocking back and not a running back.

Sounds like a kid that will work his way up the charts and prove people wrong who think we will be a blocking back and not a running back.

I like what they said about his hands, too. Maybe he will see some time at H back because of that, although we found a way to use CAP in the passing game a little bit from the normal RB spot (not enough IMO... dude had some of the best hands on the team).

I was not originally crazy about this guy. I prefer a more shifty speedy guy. But with barber splitting, this is a much needed pick up. I suppose he sees that departure as a plus for him.

Let me tell you, I was talking to Malik and Kerryon year before last (Malik's sophomore and KJ's junior year) at a MA bball game and I remember thinking then that Malik looked like an SEC baller at that point. The kid is a physical beast. MA had both these guys in the same backfield and used them according to win and win big. In doing so, neither had the stats they could have and then Malik got hurt for a lot of last season. If you are the casual recruiting fan and don't know much about him, watch out and enjoy.

Please God don't let them waste this guy at H-back...

H-back is hardly a waste, particularly if that's the best position for him.

I ran into Miller's uncle a month ago. He said Miller's lost 15 lbs, bulked up and intends on getting into the RB rotation this season. I said it's a crowded backfield. He said he's determined.

Sounds good, except that it's hard to understand how he bulked up and lost 15 lbs at the same time. Seems like a contradiction in terms.

I ran into Miller's uncle a month ago. He said Miller's lost 15 lbs, bulked up and intends on getting into the RB rotation this season. I said it's a crowded backfield. He said he's determined.

Sounds good, except that it's hard to understand how he bulked up and lost 15 lbs at the same time. Seems like a contradiction in terms.

just go with it

I'm going to guess he meant something about muscle definition and turning bad weight into good weight.

The backfield will probably be as crowded as it was last year, depending on injuries and attitudes. Also, I'm not sure how much pass blocking the other guys will do. Maybe Miller will be better at it, maybe not. He could easily be the 2nd best between-the-tackles runner on the team. He's not going to lead the pack but "breaking into the rotation" is a very reasonable goal.

just go with it

Hahaha. That was the perfect post to end the night on. Hahahaha.

Please God don't let them waste this guy at H-back...

H-back is hardly a waste, particularly if that's the best position for him.

Mhmmmm...ok.

Archived