2017 3* HB Thomas Johnston

au_bsci_04

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

With Narcisse gone now,. That could open another slot to take two more LB's.    Go get them both.  

I don't think they will. Still not recruiting TJ hard.

14 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

He may end up falling in our lap.  

I don't know. Arky and Iowa are recruiting him hard and he has a good amount of family in Iowa.

I hope so.  If not hopefully to UAB or Iowa and not Arky or corndogs. If we have to face him for 4 years may not end well for AU. Kid's a baller.

They are recruiting him harder than you think, has been hot boxed twice to commit but is holding off. Probably why interest in Lasater has jumped. TJ is a very good lb. You do not become State's all time leading tackler playing in 6A if your not good.

5 minutes ago, auol72 said:

They are recruiting him harder than you think, has been hot boxed twice to commit but is holding off. Probably why interest in Lasater has jumped. TJ is a very good lb. You do not become State's all time leading tackler playing in 6A if your not good.

Never said he was not good and do you have a source for that info about him being hot boxed? it's completely different than everything AU recruiting reporters are reporting right now.

Keith said on a facebook chat a day or so ago that AU is taking a step back on LB right now and reevaluating what they want to do with the LB spot.

Curious to know if anyone know how fast he is? I like that he explodes through the ball carrier when he tackles and wraps up.  Seems to be a dying art at times watching football at all levels.

2 hours ago, auol72 said:

Aren't you implying that Iowa and Arky are pushing for a commit and AU (probably UAB) are trying to get TJ to hold off.  UAB stands to win in the end if Hawks and Piggies move on. All 4 know a commit is a commit with Johnston with his character and family.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Just tweeted that he was visiting AU this weekend. Hope we make a big impression. 

Still mixed reports on if he is a real priority for AU or not.

I not sure he is fast enough for LBer in the SEC.  Kid has heart and intanglibles, but that was probably said about Holland when we signed him out of Pelham.  At the SEC level it takes size, speed and heart.  If our coaches like him, sign him up. If not, I hope he is successful wherever he lands.

We have one or two right now who seem a step or two slow but haven't been compared to Holland.  I hope this doesn't start the comparison threads again. I hope he's successful too except when he plays Auburn.  :-\

22 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I believe he is, now.  Just opinion. 

If he is that must mean the staff doesn't like their chances with Taylor unless the number of LBs we will take has changed. 

11 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I believe he is, now.  Just opinion. 

I don't. Tyler Taylor is a take & we are only taking 1 more LB as things are now.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't. Tyler Taylor is a take & we are only yaling 1 more LB as things are now.

Yeah,. Just my opinion.   I felt early on he would eventually find his way to AU.. And still do.   

6 hours ago, Hooverwareagle said:

I not sure he is fast enough for LBer in the SEC.  Kid has heart and intanglibles, but that was probably said about Holland when we signed him out of Pelham.  At the SEC level it takes size, speed and heart.  If our coaches like him, sign him up. If not, I hope he is successful wherever he lands.

Holland was a lot faster than Josh Bynes, who was our last all-SEC LB and is currently starting for the Lions. (I think it's the Lions) Smart and fast enough will succeed at LB.

Boulware has been told for four years he's too slow for big-time College football.  Obviously he didn't buy it.  I think anticipation, fighting off blocks, taking proper angles, and reading plays correctly more than make up for that 0.2 second speed defeciency.

18 minutes ago, autan said:

Boulware has been told for four years he's too slow for big-time College football.  Obviously he didn't buy it.  I think anticipation, fighting off blocks, taking proper angles, and reading plays correctly more than make up for that 0.2 second speed defeciency.

Agreed. TJ is going to be a tackling machine for somebody. I would prefer it be Auburn.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Agreed. TJ is going to be a tackling machine for somebody. I would prefer it be Auburn.

I agree with this. If we only get one more, I would still prefer Tyler Taylor.  I think he will be a very good one.

Yes, but TJ is not a step slow! He is well in the 4.6 to 4.65 range with a good burst at a solid 220lbs. After a year or two in college weight program he will be one of strongest people on team and weigh 235 to 240, maybe more if HB is where he ends up. His performance in allstar game was the same thing he did at SF for four years. Maybe he decides to commit this weekend. He is a football player and will answer the bell every time it is rung.

Archived