2017 3* HB Thomas Johnston

au_bsci_04

40 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Being from Spanish Fort I'm a little disappointed to see him decide to go elsewhere but I understand his decision and I think it plays to his strengths.   IMO he's going to have to gain a lot of weight in order to be an effective LB in the SEC.  

I think we may regret losing him.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not as upset about this one as I was Zac Cunningham but I really wish he would not go somewhere in the sec to ease my mind.

2 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Does anyone know when Taylor is expected to make a decision.

Later this week

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If we get Taylor it does not matter.

Why is that? If Taylor never saw a meaningful minute of playing time in his career and Johnston ended up being an All-American at Ole Miss for example, would it matter then?

Just now, NoALtiger said:

Why is that? If Taylor never saw a meaningful minute of playing time in his career and Johnston ended up being an All-American at Ole Miss for example, would it matter then?

You think we need to sign 5 LBs this class?  We should have 4 really good ones...don't need him.

This may be a product of us having a really good LB class for once. It's unfortunate because if this were another year he'd be putting on an AU hat. Best of Luck! Just not against Auburn.

PS. If he lines up on the field goal team, for god sake, someone block him.

Certainly no surprise with Johnson. I was hoping he would go to Iowa or Arky because I think he would do the most damage to Auburn at Ole Miss. Unfortunately it looks like Rebels will be getting arguably State of AL all-time best LB (HS at least).

this staff continues to amaze me....i hope this kid makes all-american and makes a hard tackle on the sideline and knocks doublebubble on his inept ass.....this kid is a football player from the old school....this will come back on whirlybird IF he is still here after next year...simply amazing

3 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

this staff continues to amaze me....i hope this kid makes all-american and makes a hard tackle on the sideline and knocks doublebubble on his inept ass.....this kid is a football player from the old school....this will come back on whirlybird IF he is still here after next year...simply amazing

What are the Powerball numbers?

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What are the Powerball numbers?

i don't know....i had managed to put coach incompetent out of my mind for a few days and enjoy watching the basketball team grow up, but right now i am just an angry old man....another very good in-state player having to go out of state because of this bunch chasing pie-in-the-sky out of state players....don't think that the high school coaches don't notice this trend...disgusting and disheartening to see this same act

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

You think we need to sign 5 LBs this class?  We should have 4 really good ones...don't need him.

No, in this case I don't think 5 is too many. Considering our recent past, I'd take as many elite LB's as possible. I do get it though about the numbers crunch and can see both sides of the debate. It's just unfortunate imo. 

12 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i don't know....i had managed to put coach incompetent out of my mind for a few days and enjoy watching the basketball team grow up, but right now i am just an angry old man....another very good in-state player having to go out of state because of this bunch chasing pie-in-the-sky out of state players....don't think that the high school coaches don't notice this trend...disgusting and disheartening to see this same act

Let try a little logic... If he was so good and a can't miss prospect, why did he not get an offer from Bama? Fact is, he only had 5 SEC offers and ours was for HB (OM,Arky,LSU,MSU,AU).

No one knows if he will materialize. So to be so upset over this just seems like an opportunity for you to gripe about the staff you admittedly hate.

I wish the kid all the luck in the world and he achieves everything he desires.

The kid certainly seems like a football player, but I think it is AWESOME that we don't have room for someone with his potential. THAT MEANS WE HAVE ENOUGH PLAYERS THAT WE THINK ARE BETTER!!!! I have a feeling that if we offered TJ then some of the same people would be upset that we had to "settle" for him. Why in the world should we be upset when we are going to get perhaps the best LB class in our lifetimes?

Could he be a back-up plan for Taylor should we whiff on him?  If so, conceivable that both he and Lasater land in the same class.  Low probability, but possible.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Let try a little logic... If he was so good and a can't miss prospect, why did he not get an offer from Bama? Fact is, he only had 5 SEC offers and ours was for HB (OM,Arky,LSU,MSU,AU).

No one knows if he will materialize. So to be so upset over this just seems like an opportunity for you to gripe about the staff you admittedly hate.

I wish the kid all the luck in the world and he achieves everything he desires.

I can live with us not taking him but I don't think using Bammer should be the barometer we use on if a prospect is worthy or not. Pretty sure Bammer never offered Sean White for example, doesn't mean spit to me. 

Johnston was right that Auburn didn't want him, specifically TWill.  I think CKS was pretty high on TJ but allows his guys to recruit pretty much who they want and feel is the right fit,  which is pretty much how it should be. I also think CGM knew TJ would not accept the HB offer.  Not sure it was even committable.  Hope our LBs are as good as they are supposed to be. I was not as impressed by our LB play this year as most of you were.

Glad we have a good group of lb'er recruits but wish we could have added him too,thought we would have room after missing on Hunter guess not.I have confidence in T-Will hope he is right on this kid time will tell.

1 hour ago, tombigbeetiger said:

All coaching staffs in every state make decisions every year on HS players. Do they make the correct decision about every player every time, no not necessarily.  I think it's easy to look back at players like Zac Cunningham, Demarcus Ware, Osi Umenyoira and that coach is an idiot for not getting him and taking player X over him. TJ is a good linebacker and yes he is the states all time tackler, that played 5 years of varsity football, so that does say something. 

5 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Bc we are focused on signing TT to the 4th LB spot ( likely occurs next wk) and have shored up a commitment from Lassiter as a HB/FB. TJ was a backup plan.

At HB but not LB. If we miss on Tyler Taylor we are sticking with 3 LBs in the class at last report.

Archived