2017 3* HB Thomas Johnston

au_bsci_04

So looks like we have officially offered the State's all-time leading tackler as a H-back. Not saying it's good or bad but so classic AU. 

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburn_asked_states_career_tac.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Auburn asks state's career tackles leader to commit as an H-back

Thomas Johnston
Spanish Fort linebacker Thomas Johnston (5) serves as a captain against Baldwin County in a prep football game Friday, Sept. 16, 2016, in Spanish Fort, Ala. (Mike Kittrell/preps@al.com) (Mike Kittrell)
Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.comBy Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on January 15, 2017 at 3:01 PM, updated January 15, 2017 at 3:13 PM

Thomas Johnston racked up more tackles than any other player in Alabama high school history, but Auburn likes the Spanish Fort star linebacker on offense.

The Tigers are recruiting the 6-foot-2, 215-pounder at H-back in an effort to take the load off starter Chandler Cox next season.

"At first I wanted nothing to do with it," Johnston said Sunday after his official visit to Auburn. "Then I looked into it -- I mean, Chandler gets that ball a lot and that makes it fun. Going to games at Auburn, I mean, they're exciting. Being able to play in front of your state says a lot.

"They said things could change, but the opportunity there is open just because Chandler doesn't need to take all the beating that he did this year, and he knows that too. So being able to come in here as a freshman would be awesome."

Johnston says he doesn't have a position preference. He hasn't played much football on the offensive side of the ball since middle school, but is confident he could make the transition should he sign with Auburn. He said receiving playing time quickly in his first season is "every freshman's dream." 

"The way they use their H-back, it's not just blocking," he said. "They have fun with them. They have different formations. They even line up at receiver every once in a while. That would be fun. I'm excited to see where God puts me. I'm just going to pray about it. He's going to put me where I need to be."

Johnston grew up an Auburn fan but has no leader at this time. He is also considering Arkansas, Iowa and Ole Miss, schools that are all recruiting him at linebacker. He took his official visit to Arkansas Oct. 14 and Iowa Dec. 3 and plans to check out Ole Miss next weekend before making a decision Jan. 26.

In addition to Johnston, Auburn is also recruiting Jacksonville native Chase Lasater at the H-back position. The Tigers have commitments from three linebackers in the 2017 recruiting class -- four-star prospect K.J. Britt and T.D. Moultry and three-star Chandler Wooten.

"Coach Malzahn told me that he wants me to play for his team," Johnston said. "He wants me just to be around. He said I'm a fit for Auburn and I mean that says a lot. He asked me to commit this morning and asked where I stood. I know I'm at the top of their list right now so I'm excited about it." 

Johnston is ranked as a three-star prospect and the No. 24 outside linebacker in the 247Sports Composite and is also interested in playing baseball in college if possible. He closed out his five-year high school career with 675 total tackles, including 195 stops as a senior. 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

So looks like we have officially offered the State's all-time leading tackler as a H-back. Not saying it's good or bad but so classic AU. 

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburn_asked_states_career_tac.html#incart_river_mobile_index

And we are only recruiting him at HB.

33 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Why can't we offer him as LB and Lassiter as FB? Those are their lifelong positions after all.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Why can't we offer him as LB and Lassiter as FB? Those are their lifelong positions after all.

TJ would be at the same LB position for the staff as KJ Britt. They don't see the point taking 2 LBs for the same LB position.

8 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

We need this kid and Lassiter. Film on both is insane . Can't let these zac Cunningham types get away

Things may change but my opinion as of now is I don't see the staff taking both.

Probably get neither.  Lasiter may see that TJ is higher priority and move on. If CGM doesn't reconsider and offer TJ as LB I see him as a Reb. Iowa and Ark recruiting him the hardest but they are a long ways off.  Sure hope I'm 100% wrong.

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Johnston is ranked as a three-star prospect and the No. 24 outside linebacker in the 247Sports Composite and is also interested in playing baseball in college if possible. He closed out his five-year high school career with 675 total tackles, including 195 stops as a senior. 

@ellitor  5 year HS career?

14 minutes ago, autan said:

Probably get neither.  Lasiter may see that TJ is higher priority and move on. If CGM doesn't reconsider and offer TJ as LB I see him as a Reb. Iowa and Ark recruiting him the hardest but they are a long ways off.  Sure hope I'm 100% wrong.

I don't think TJ is the higher priority necessarily. I think it's 1st come 1st serve.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

TJ would be at the same LB position for the staff as KJ Britt. They don't see the point taking 2 LBs for the same LB position.

I can understand that I suppose but it is odd that we offer him at a position he's hardly played since Middle School. Middle schooI?? Really?? I mean, no matter how ya slice it, we are offering a very accomplished player at a position he really doesn't play and it's not even on the same side of the ball that he made a name for himself. Just has screw up written all over the place potentially. 

10 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I can understand that I suppose but it is odd that we offer him at a position he's hardly played since Middle School. Middle schooI?? Really?? I mean, no matter how ya slice it, we are offering a very accomplished player at a position he really doesn't play and it's not even on the same side of the ball that he made a name for himself. Just has screw up written all over the place potentially. 

Stuff like this makes me wonder about Gus and our coaches,take a tackling machine and make him a h-back when they have an h-back in Lasiter they could sign and still take this kid as a LB'er.SMDH :dunno:

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No inside info, but Maybe LB is filled. 

Now that's a great thought, I'd love for that to be the reason. Never know what's up behind the scenes. I don't at least. :)

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No inside info, but Maybe LB is filled. 

Maybe it is,we can hope it is,but if the kid see's himself being a LB'er then sign him up as a LB'er and get him here and see how it works out later.He may be so good at LB'er we might want to move someone else to H-back.You just can't hardly sign to many good lb'ers,ain't that right Mikey.

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Jay Prosh says hello. He never played HB or FB before college. He was a LB in the same mold as TJ. He turned out to be a damn good HB/FB.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Stuff like this makes me wonder about Gus and our coaches,take a tackling machine and make him a h-back when they have an h-back in Lasiter they could sign and still take this kid as a LB'er.SMDH :dunno:

Gus gives no input on defensive personnel. This is all on Steele & T-Will. They simply see KJ as the better prospect for that LB position.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Jay Prosh says hello. He never played HB or FB before college. He was a LB in the same mold as TJ. He turned out to be a damn good HB/FB.

Very true, that's an awesome example of that happening once. :)

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Gus gives no input on defensive personnel. This is all on Steele & T-Will. They simply see KJ as the better prospect for that LB position.

He probably is the better prospect,I'm just saying TJ may make a real good lb'er and or h-back for that matter,but if he is leaning toward lb'er we may need to recruit him as a lb'er and if that doesn't work then move him to h-back.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

He probably is the better prospect,I'm just saying TJ may make a real good lb'er and or h-back for that matter,but if he is leaning toward lb'er we may need to recruit him as a lb'er and if that doesn't work then move him to h-back.

I don't know what else to tell you. CKS & CTW do not see him as a LB target and are not involved with his recruitment at all. It's all Coach Fountain right now.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I don't know what else to tell you. CKS & CTW do not see him as a LB target and are not involved with his recruitment at all. It's all Coach Fountain right now.

I guess I'll have to take that as he is not a take right now at lb'er.I just hope they are right because he looks good to me,hate to see him go else where and be a stud LB'ER when he could have been a TIGER.Maybe we can still get him at h-back,he just seemed more interested in lb'er the way he talked.

11 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I guess I'll have to take that as he is not a take right now at lb'er.I just hope they are right because he looks good to me,hate to see him go else where and be a stud LB'ER when he could have been a TIGER.Maybe we can still get him at h-back,he just seemed more interested in lb'er the way he talked.

It's not that he's not a take at LB. Steele & T-Will are not looking at or recruiting him at all as a LB.

Archived