Were we really that bad in 2015?

yngwie1995

6 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

We also had  3 wins by 7 points or less and were taken to OT by JSU. It's not like we just had close losses. That very easily could have been a 4 season just as much as it could have been a 9 win season using the logic of "close games"

Also...see my first post in this thread. I think QB play was the biggest what if, but that's the only one that I think could have really changed the outcome of our season last year.

Of course, we'll likely just have to agree to disagree, but I really only see Carl not going down as being something that, while helpful, wasn't destiny changing. Jeremy plays to his potential and it's a whole new world. Duke balls out and, even with Jeremy out, Sean has a reliable target, certainly makes more big plays, and probably gets hit less which could mean he doesn't get hurt. Heck, take away the 9 dropped passes against Arkansas and Sean would have had a 400+ yard game and been coronated the next big thing at Auburn by the sports media after we wond by 2-3 touchdowns. Jovon plays the whole season and running it up the gut on first down is not the most hated play of all Auburn fans as, while still not super effective, Jovon actually had the potential to break it for a big run, now and again.  Put all of that together with what we were able to accomplish while hobbled, especially against the freaking national champions, and I say we would have been contenders.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That doesn't make them contenders. People think just because we were one break away from winning and they naturally forget about the team that was just one break away from putting the game away. Such as Ole Miss in our red zone, with the lead and driving, when Frost makes a beautiful interception. Things usually even out to where if you deserve to win, you win. 

What's your point? I'm not saying we were contenders with the team that was on the field, I'm saying we would have been contenders if we had not been hobbled by so many things that were out of our control.  We were close to winning when we were a mess... take away the mess and poof... you've got a solid, above average team.

Well the O was pretty average/bad all season. What I'm hearing the O has a long long ways to go. Hopefully it improves but I will just wait and see if it happens.

Seems to me that a fair number of plays that were called by the coaches looked wide open only to see the players drop a pass or the QB inexplicable throw the ball into never-never land ....or the hands of an opponent.

I'm as bad as the next guy complaining about the play calls but being fair about it, a lot of the time the coaches got the blame for a bad call when in fact, if the team had executed even at a pretty low level, we would put up some points at key moments as noted in the narrative several posts above.

Just agreeing that a few well executed plays (that were well selected by the coaches) could have changed the season quite a bit.

41 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

What's your point? I'm not saying we were contenders with the team that was on the field, I'm saying we would have been contenders if we had not been hobbled by so many things that were out of our control.  We were close to winning when we were a mess... take away the mess and poof... you've got a solid, above average team

Solid, above average teams don't always become contenders. You're speaking way too much in absolutes.

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Solid, above average teams don't always become contenders. You're speaking way too much in absolutes.

I think the coaches would be the first to admit they did a poor job period.  I also believe Lashlee is not a great play caller.... Knowing your offense and personnel's strengths and weaknesses helps but can he watch how the defensive players react to different plays and make calls to take advantage?  I did not see that.

Muschamp got aggressive and his players followed suit.  They got better as the season wore on and some of those same players will have continued to get better.  

Sean is healthy and much improved I understand so I feel very very optimistic!  I mentioned my biggest concern is the chemistry of the offensive line and so called experts seem to think they will be one of the best in the country.  Some of those same experts bought into JJ for Heisman?

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course, we'll likely just have to agree to disagree, but I really only see Carl not going down as being something that, while helpful, wasn't destiny changing. Jeremy plays to his potential and it's a whole new world. Duke balls out and, even with Jeremy out, Sean has a reliable target, certainly makes more big plays, and probably gets hit less which could mean he doesn't get hurt. Heck, take away the 9 dropped passes against Arkansas and Sean would have had a 400+ yard game and been coronated the next big thing at Auburn by the sports media after we wond by 2-3 touchdowns. Jovon plays the whole season and running it up the gut on first down is not the most hated play of all Auburn fans as, while still not super effective, Jovon actually had the potential to break it for a big run, now and again.  Put all of that together with what we were able to accomplish while hobbled, especially against the freaking national champions, and I say we would have been contenders.

Last year was just a series of unfortunate events. It will get better. 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

You don't know jack chit and your incredible posting history proves that. You probably call yourself a "realist", but that really doesnt describe your incessant bemoaning. You're a troll. Period.... and the reality is, your schtik is beyond transparent and tiresome. Take the crap that you smear on every thread you post somewhere else. 

Signed in from a long hiatus just to LIKE BigBird's reply.  Amen, amen, and amen again.  Thank you, Bird!  

6 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Oh. And Blake Countess dropping what could have been interception returns for touchdowns against OM and bamr.

OM would have been a win, the UAT would have made it very interesting.  Those are the plays that have to be made to pull upsets. 

Just now, AUBwins said:

Glad to see you back @ToraGirl.

Thank you, AUB!!  Learned a lot in the hiatus...on and off the board...LOL!  Looking forward to 16 days from now, continuing to seek the higher road, being the best fan I can be (with orange and blue glasses on and off...win/lose/draw), and really...remembering I do have a life outside!  Wonder who will be the first to start the Clemson LOOK-A-LIKE thread?  :Sing:

16 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Signed in from a long hiatus just to LIKE BigBird's reply.  Amen, amen, and amen again.  Thank you, Bird!  

We sure miss you, TG. Hope you are doing well. War Eagle!

I think had we been picked to finish middle of the pack instead of the media proclaiming us a SEC champ most would have not been as upset with the outcome of last year. Sometime we expect the players to play to some unrealistic expectations, for our sake. As far as JSU remember while they maybe a lower division, their team included some very high rated D1 players that got kicked off or couldn't qualify for SEC teams. They probably could have played and beaten some SEC teams. While there was a lot of blame to go around, I agree with the comment that they never quit. I think if anyone would actually take a look at how close some losses were and that while this team might have not played stellar last year, they now have another year of experience to work with. Even JJ and SW undoubtedly learned from last year and I am sure they are improved. You look at the other teams out there that are starting QBs with no experience, much less SEC experience, probably would love to have either one of them. Most folks in the know think we have one of the best OLs and DLs out there this year. There is no reason not to have some expectations of a better year this year. WDE

11 hours ago, gravejd said:

The reason last year seemed so bad is that we started the season as a top 10 team. We weren't terrible last year but we were a middle of the road SEC team at best. Not where we expected to be. Also, I think the fact that we struggled so bad on offense has really shaken the AU faithful. Offense was the 1 thing since Gus got here that we could depend on. We just knew if our D kept them under 30 we had a chance and Malzahn would figure out a way to get the offense going. Now that notion is gone...i think people are just a little unsure of what direction the program is going. Are we trending down like our record seems to show. Or was last year just a blimp and the year before that just a bad ending to an otherwise good season? I think everyone is holding their breath waiting to find the answer as we head into this season. 

This pretty much answers the question. Were we really that bad? Depends on the perspective. No, if you look at it from the average fan standards. We were competitive in pretty much every game and we did ultimately win a bowl game. HOWEVER, We were at a stage of national prominence. A lot of pundits had us winning the SEC and I even think a few had us going on to the NC game to face tOSU. Other fans of the SEC started to really take notice, including the gumps, who honestly saw themselves in a dogfight come November. JJ was the talk across the nation. We were hitting our stride from a respectability point. His this the new face and team to be weary of? The hype was real. If my memory serves me correct, pre-Louisville, I believe Verne and Gary stated that this team was better than our 2013 team top to bottom when they watched us practice. Not to mention Gus did buy into the hype as well.  To fall from grace in the manner that we did is bad. No sugar coating it. We went from being a force to reckon with, to now hoping for a 7-8 win season, all within a year period..

We got to get more consistent.

On 8/16/2016 at 8:56 PM, yngwie1995 said:

I know our season record was bad, but after re-watching the last 3 (big) games (offense) of last season, we didn't look horrible.

Against UGA, we were driving, down 20-10, and we fumbled inside the 5 yard line. We end up losing 20-13.

Against bama, we were down 22-13 late in the fourth, went for it on 4th down, and the WR drops it (would have been a first down...hits him right in the hands)...ball game. Gives bama the short field, to go up 29-13.

Against Memphis, we looked pretty good, especially in the 2nd half.

The only blowout was to LSU.

Lost to Arky in 4 OTs, MSU by 8 and Ole Miss by 8. And of course, our JSU win was down to the wire.

Just saying, maybe we weren't as bad as our record showed? A few plays here or there, and we have a much better record than 7-6.

Maybe I just have a bad memory?

If you don't think AU looked bad against uga then I can't help you. As bad as I've ever seen a AU team play. Was damn pathetic. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If you don't think AU looked bad against uga then I can't help you. As bad as I've ever seen a AU team play. Was damn pathetic. 

Truth. 2 years in a row we've been 2012 bad against UGA. Barely beat them in '13. Got stomped in '12 and '11. Lost a lot more often than won going back to '05. It's a bigger problem than we acknowledge. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

2014 Auburn vs. uga was really damn ugly.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Truth. 2 years in a row we've been 2012 bad against UGA. Barely beat them in '13. Got stomped in '12 and '11. Lost a lot more often than won going back to '05. It's a bigger problem than we acknowledge. 

There is a problem with UGa....not sure what it is but we don't play up to our potential against them year in and year out.  We have lots of Georgia players and you would think beating the dawgs would be something special but they sure don't play like it.

Archived