New Williams leaving AU

tomtomwde

official   http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Sophomore-guard-to-transfer-from-basketball-program-49835838

New Williams will move on to a new school.

Williams, a sophomore guard, will transfer from Auburn. The news came in an official release from the athletics department Thursday.

That sucks but I can understand him seeking more run.

Seems he could've just waited until Brown and Spencer's suspensions were over to make this move as he could've gotten some playing time for at least a game or 2 to put on his scouting tape.

He wasn't getting minutes and that wasn't going to change anytime soon. Best of luck to New, he has some serious talent, hope he finds a good fit. 

Wow!

that was solid and absolute class. I've seen lots of nice comments and pleasant goodbyes, but I've never seen anything like that.  Kudos to New Williams.  You can only wish success for someone like that.  That is the kind of behavior/demeanor you see in successful people in the business world.

Good luck New!

You have to appreciate New for willing to come all the way to Auburn (from Oakland) and be part of the class that originally gave us something to be excited about. I wish him best of luck in his next endeavor, and who knows, maybe we'll get the chance to play against him in the coming years. 

Classy commentary.....wishing the best for him.

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

Has he played this year?  Wondering if this year counts on his eligibility. I sure hope not (unless of course he transfers immediately and gets some PT there).  Good luck to New. 

He has not played this season.

4 hours ago, 1TexasTiger said:

I'm thinking CBP may be needed the roster spot very soon.

We were not full. 13 schollies is full. We were at 12, now 11.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

We were not full. 13 schollies is full. We were at 12, now 11.

Would it be fair to assume we're planning on picking up a grad transfer in the spring with that last available scholarship?

7 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Would it be fair to assume we're planning on picking up a grad transfer in the spring with that last available scholarship?

I don't assume much in recruiting but that is my guess.

14 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I'd love to see Waddell get the scholly for the remainder of the year ... if that is even possible

It is possible now./

I'm guessing he was kept off the floor this year so he could keep his red-shirt exemption.  Its a shame we didn't have the luxury of offering it to him last year. It would allow him to be eligible to transfer to a D-1 school one semester sooner.  Again, I am ignorant of the facts, just a hypothesis.   

58 minutes ago, auadmin said:

I'm guessing he was kept off the floor this year so he could keep his red-shirt exemption.  Its a shame we didn't have the luxury of offering it to him last year. It would allow him to be eligible to transfer to a D-1 school one semester sooner.  Again, I am ignorant of the facts, just a hypothesis.   

No. He would still have to sit a calendar year after a transfer. He can play with his new school in January of 2018 as a RS Soph....unless he goes to a juco and graduates before the Fall of 2017. He then could play when the season starts in November 2017.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No. He would still have to sit a calendar year after a transfer. He can play with his new school in January of 2018 as a RS Soph.

Wondering if CBP knew this was coming for a while and just allowed him to wait until the end of the semester before making the announcement.   His video was well thought out and sounded to me like the coaching staff might have been on board with this. 

Either way...he sounds like a classy thoughtful guy and I expect he will find the right place for the rest of his playing eligibility. 

• 1 month later...

Archived