Leadership of this team

ellitor

42 minutes ago, boomstick said:

It's not that simple. There are too many dynamics to just write this off as selfish play. I think we have a couple guys capable of being leaders, but they're freshmen, which makes that really difficult.

They are all about the same age . One would think that by now a leader would have emerged . I thought Dunnans would be the one that has been a disappointment 

55 minutes ago, AU64 said:

They are all about the same age . One would think that by now a leader would have emerged . I thought Dunnans would be the one that has been a disappointment 

Big difference college wise between 17-18 years old freshmen and the 2 or 3 22-23 year old SRs on this team.

The OP is spot on. I'm glad someone with an inside look confirmed what most logical people were feeling.

I love Dunans because when he is driving and dishing we are a different and more dangerous team but, minus the game-winner, he seems to make some bad plays in clutch situations. Mental breakdown type of issues.

Harper will be a leader for us starting next year I imagine. He might be one of our most clutch players. He just needs to grow into the role. Question will be if Davion Mitchell is predicted to start over him or not next year. In my personal opinion (I might have PG bias, I'll admit) the starting PG makes for a good candidate to be one of the leaders.

It is damn near impossible to have leaders within the program when the actual foundation year is this year. Previous 2 seasons were just to get us back to ground level. 

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Big difference college wise between 17-18 years old freshmen and the 2 or 3 22-23 year old SRs on this team.

Yes..but this is team of mostly freshmen and sophs.....but maybe most of them have been the  "leader" on their HS teams and perhaps are not ready to take that role now or cede it to anyone else.     Whatever...these guys have been together for 4 or 5 months.....which is enough time for something to happen.   JMO

But looking back to the past couple years, I don't recall that there was an acknowledged team leader for those seasons also. Our coaching staff is very experienced...just seems that they should be able to move things in a desired direction rather that just wait to see what emerges. .   

Again, just because they were the 'star' player in HS, doesnt mean they were a team leader. Stats DON't make a leader, so who knows with these players. 

And if you will notice, when we got to the SEC, it's a totally different feel, and these guys came in 10-2 and in their FIRST game at home, they blow a 10 point lead, and totally lose confidence down the stretch. That tells me they are still developing, on the court in their execution and mentally. So Just because they have been together since August, doesn't mean they should already have leaders. 

4-5 months together doesn't prepare them for the SEC, when they have never been there before. And throw a center in WIley who should be walking down the halls of his HS..

I'll be patient as the season goes along, and i hope others will too. Let's see how it develops by the half way point of SEC play...

5 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

no leadership material...too many selfish players

Calling players selfish means you don't understand the pressure on young players all coming in together with no established roles with existing leaders already here to help them.

It takes time to meld as a team especially when you have players who were the stars and expected to get the ball. Any two of these guys had been on an established team with established roles would have fit in and improved that team and would have had a chance to grow into the leadership roles from year to year.  Cole has said it before we have very talented players but none of them are elite none can take over a game on talent alone and become the leader.  We are asking these very young men to become the type of leader now that usually takes most people a couple of years to grow into. 

The fact that we have so many players with close to equal talent and all are young is part of the problem. Eventually 1 or 2 players will become the type of leader we want whether this year or next year is the question. I would love to see improvement this year and maybe still make the NIT but more importantly is how each players improves between now and next year and having some leadership for next year. Another year together and we can add to both our offensive and defensive repertoire. Add some leadership and we will have some potential next year to be much improved.

On 1/7/2017 at 4:40 PM, TexasTiger said:

That's a gross oversimplification and distortion  of introverts. Many introverted people can be very assertive when needed and can be very effective in part due to being listened to when they speak up.

The key to leadership from an introvert is that they have to be accepted as a leader.  An introvert isn't going to assert themselves into a leadership position, but when they are put in said position and given the respect of those they are leading, they can be as or more effective than extroverts. I think the problem with introverts on Auburn's team leading is they would be leading a bunch of type A personalities who aren't likely to gravitate toward them as leaders.

6 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

no leadership material...too many selfish players

Seriously... post less. A LOT less. In fact, just go away. You have THE worst attitude of any person I think I've ever met.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

The key to leadership from an introvert is that they have to be accepted as a leader.  An introvert isn't going to assert themselves into a leadership position, but when they are put in said position and given the respect of those they are leading, they can be as or more effective than extroverts. I think the problem with introverts on Auburn's team leading is they would be leading a bunch of type A personalities who aren't likely to gravitate toward them as leaders.

Introverts often seek leadership positions. Some become President.

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Introverts often seek leadership positions. Some become President.

Seek, yes, but assert themselves into a position without being given the opening. No. Introverts prefer to earn a role than take it. Conflict is more draining for them than anything. Trust me, I know. I'm an introvert and a leader.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Seek, yes, but assert themselves into a position without being given the opening. No. Introverts prefer to earn a role than take it. Conflict is more draining for them than anything. Trust me, I know. I'm an introvert and a leader.

I am, too. And more things drain me than conflict.

Smh. The leader will be a guy that can play, that demands and hold his team accountable, he either practices hard or produce hard, isn't scared of strong competition, and he sacrifices and share with his team mate. That's it. Period. It's a mixture of performing, showing you are a winner, and being or having some quality that other people want or wish they had. That's the inspiration part.

I was a captain on every team I played on except two, two leadership positions in college, the job I have now they literally interview you to see if there is any leadership in you or you're out because you have to take ownership of the plant. It's more about being confident than anything. I wasn't always the best player on my team, but I was always one of the better.  I yelled at my team mates if I had to. I didn't back down from anybody on the other team. The thing I did better than ANYTHING my strength was I was always one of the best rebounding guards on the floor. I would get down there with big guys and bang. Tough defender. Wanted the ball, wanted to guard the best guy on the other team. It's stuff like that, that makes people view you as a leader. Period. I've never seen it any other way in all the basketball I've played.

So Cole, who is likely to emerge from the dozen or so players we have now who will exhibit the characteristics you describe? 

And if the coach is playing a ten player rotation, is there the opportunity for anyone to step forward take the lead?      I'm just wondering if  the constant line-up changes during a game could be a factor?  Nobody is in the game long enough to take command it seems? 

I thought I saw it in Purifoy one game, I see things in dunnans sometimes. Harper carries himself that way, his demeanor and his calmness at the end of games....It will probably be the guy who when we are down, literally decides we are not going to lose this particular game and wills the team to a win. When/if  somebody does that, I feel everybody will follow. It's sort of hard to say because I could pretty easy tell you from watching a practice who the alpha males on a team is....But I just don't get to see them

59 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I thought I saw it in Purifoy one game, I see things in dunnans sometimes. Harper carries himself that way, his demeanor and his calmness at the end of games....It will probably be the guy who when we are down, literally decides we are not going to lose this particular game and wills the team to a win. When/if  somebody does that, I feel everybody will follow. It's sort of hard to say because I could pretty easy tell you from watching a practice who the alpha males on a team is....But I just don't get to see them

Understand....but unless the guy is on the floor, it's hard to lead and nobody is averaging as much as 30 minutes a game and seems that in critical moments, the line-up varies quite a bit.   Harper looks the part , freshman or not....JMO.. Too bad he was gone at the end of the OM game....

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Understand....but unless the guy is on the floor, it's hard to lead and nobody is averaging as much as 30 minutes a game and seems that in critical moments, the line-up varies quite a bit.   Harper looks the part , freshman or not....JMO.. Too bad he was gone at the end of the OM game....

Wait, did Harper foul out late? I had to leave the game early because my two year old had all she could handle at the arena. And it was a little tough to keep up with on the radio. 

Mustapha Heron would be my choice as the most likely candidate to become the leader of this team. Also, I largely agree with @cole256's description of the type of leader most teams have. Teams will often have multiple leadership roles, but the primary floor leader is the one who I would say affects wins and losses most. Heron has all the tools needed, and after playing hurt during the MIzzou game, and having 12 second half points to close it out, along with clutch free throws down the stretch, I think he's the guy. His presence and production is constant, high effort, gutsy, rebounds, scores, defends....doesn't play with a 5 star attitude. 

Heron's off the court work should get more publicity. So should Mclemore's academic achievements in HS --> 4.0 GPA and accepted to MIT? Wowzers.

I may be wrong but I really feel like there's finally some leadership on this team. We are now playing together and with more intensity than we've seen all year. If we do have leaders I'm starting to wonder if Dunans and Ronnie are the ones. I've noticed they've both played with a lot of fire and have made the young guys better. Again, I may be wrong. We might just be playing better at the moment but I really hope I'm right because we need leadership to keep winning down the stretch 

20 minutes ago, au302 said:

I may be wrong but I really feel like there's finally some leadership on this team. We are now playing together and with more intensity than we've seen all year. If we do have leaders I'm starting to wonder if Dunans and Ronnie are the ones. I've noticed they've both played with a lot of fire and have made the young guys better. Again, I may be wrong. We might just be playing better at the moment but I really hope I'm right because we need leadership to keep winning down the stretch 

Funny you say that because I too have realized their step up in play. Harper is on a bit of a cold streak, and Ronnie has played better than him since Kentucky it seems. Starting in the Kentucky game this team turned a page I feel. Dunans has cleaned up his game nicely and has only made a few careless mistakes. He also seems to be dishing the ball off more instead of trying to score each time...he is scoring though which I can't dislike.

Archived