Greg Brown

auburn4ever

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure. Right now, it seems there are a couple levels of coaches. The sure things like Urban, Harbough, Saban, Shaw, Stoops, Jimbo, Dabo and a few others.  Then there is the rest of the pack and none of them have really separated themselves from one another. Gus falls into this group. I don't see one that is head and shoulders better than him that is obtainable. I would rather have continuity than bet on an unsure thing.

However if I had to choose, I might say James Franklin, Paul Cryst, or Mike Riley.

But are the sure things REALLY sure things?

Urban bailed on Florida when it was obvious that they were on a downhill slide and he knew he'd have to recruit against Jimbo... and he never beat Auburn.
Harbough only had one season with more than 8 wins at Stanford and has finished 3rd in the east both of his years at Michigan.
Saban was no better than any other coach until he landed at bama.
Stoops is more a product of a lesser conference than anything else. In 18 years, he's lost 1/2 of his bowl games and most of his losses are out of conference games.
Jimbo and Dabo also have a lesser conference to assist their records, with each other being their biggest competition. Both also tend to ebb and flow based on whether or not they have a rock star QB.
Shaw is the only one who has a consistent, high level record, but he's only coached in one place... and that place is a relatively weak Pac-10.

I know I wouldn't bet money that any of them would match their success at a different program. In fact, I can't think of a single coach who has had an equal amount of success at multiple programs (Urban is probably the closest, but had he stayed at Florida instead of quitting when Jimbo took over at Florida State, things would be different). Coaching success is as much about fit as it is anything else. Also, everyone listed except Shaw and Dabo are coaching for Top 10 of all time programs with huge fan bases, LOTS of money, and built in prestige.  

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

The picture of Greg Brown in the original post looked awfully familiar to me, and I finally put my finger on it.

C1m0B7TUAAACPt8.jpgRelated image

ha! good one. Guess he will fit right in!

14 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

How bout that clemson defense they say you can't have both (good O and D) but dabo proving that wrong. We need a DC with fire like Brent Venables or a WM type. 

Yep, they are really good. bammer only scored one more point on them than they scored on Steele's Auburn defense. So Steele is one point better, but Venables is close. Of course, bammer scored 45 on Venables last year so...

Yeah, plenty to complain about after these last couple seasons, but it's fascinating that an Auburn fan would choose right now to complain about defense. But it's the wacky stuff like that that keeps this site lively. #keepAUFweird

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, plenty to complain about after these last couple seasons, but it's fascinating that an Auburn fan would choose right now to complain about defense. But it's the wacky stuff like that that keeps this site lively. #keepAUFweird

Wacky tobacky would be my guess

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yep, they are really good. bammer only scored one more point on them than they scored on Steele's Auburn defense. So Steele is one point better, but Venables is close. Of course, bammer scored 45 on Venables last year so...

To further the thought, if our offense could have run 98 plays, (like Clemson did) against Bama in this year's IB, no way Bama would have scored even 30 points on Steele's D.  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Lots to complain about in 2016. The D isn't one. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Grass is always greener syndrome combined with a little "what have you done for me lately" after the D had their worst showing against Oklahoma.

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Grass is always greener syndrome combined with a little "what have you done for me lately" after the D had their worst showing against Oklahoma.

I was obvious to me that the D just gave up in the second half with the way the O was playing. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I was obvious to me that the D just gave up in the second half with the way the O was playing. 

I don't know that they gave up.  I honestly think that massively extended drive in the first half took a ton out of them.

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That was my opinion, also. Oklahoma's offense was legitimately very good- 2 Heisman finalists in one backfield is no joke- but our defense is not as bad as they looked. One bad game doesn't trump a season of solid performances. 

I thought their spirit was broken the moment SW went into the locker room and came out in warmups. Almost like both sides of the ball knew the game was over at that point.

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I thought their spirit was broken the moment SW went into the locker room and came out in warmups. Almost like both sides of the ball knew the game was over at that point.

One could certainly interpret Kozan's comments as saying almost exactly that. 

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I know that everyone watching on TV knew.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I know that everyone watching on TV knew.

Yup.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One could certainly interpret Kozan's comments as saying almost exactly that. 

What did he say? I must have missed it.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Something along the lines of "We did the best we could once Sean went out."

:no: That's rough. I'm looking very much forward to knowing we aren't SOL if our QB goes down next year. We will have somebody that can do something

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Something along the lines of "We did the best we could once Sean went out."

Ouch... As true as that statement is, it had to be hard for John and Jeremy to hear. I hope they can use it for motivation in their future endeavors more than just feeling the sting from it. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

:no: That's rough. I'm looking very much forward to knowing we aren't SOL if our QB goes down next year. We will have somebody that can do something

Boy howdy, you and me both. Of course, I thought we'd be in that position last year. Not so much this year. Fingers crossed for next.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Ouch... As true as that statement is, it had to be hard for John and Jeremy to hear. I hope they can use it for motivation in their future endeavors more than just feeling the sting from it. 

Hopefully John takes it as motivation to move to a spot where he can help the team. 

8 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

He really needs to watch film of OMac and I think he would want to move.

Actual football people have suggested that he has certain tendencies that might make it difficult for him to become a full time ball carrier, but watching OMac or some other guys might open him up to the idea of putting his speed to use *somewhere*. 

Would love to hear that Kodi has been *begging* John and Gus to try him out at WR. He could definitely take the top off the defense and I wouldn't be worried nearly as much about ball security. But I'm not well versed on the nuances of the position, so that might be a dumb idea.  

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Actual football people have suggested that he has certain tendencies that might make it difficult for him to become a full time ball carrier, but watching OMac or some other guys might open him up to the idea of putting his speed to use *somewhere*. 

Would love to hear that Kodi has been *begging* John and Gus to try him out at WR. He could definitely take the top off the defense and I wouldn't be worried nearly as much about ball security. But I'm not well versed on the nuances of the position, so that might be a dumb idea.  

I'm with you.  My #1 concern about John is ball security. I'd love for him to be in a position that, when he gets the ball, everyone else is already choking on his dust.

If I were in charge, I would have Franklin returning Kick offs and punts. With his speed all he needs is a crease and a few seconds later the scoreboard is clicking up six points.

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

If I were in charge, I would have Franklin returning Kick offs and punts. With his speed all he needs is a crease and a few seconds later the scoreboard is clicking up six points.

At the same time, if he doesn't learn to protect the ball, we'd have turnovers in the worst places when he doesn't find a crease.  Based on both his juco film and what we saw this year, "high and tight" aren't in his vocabulary.

Archived