Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

I wish we would have hired Kevin Wilson while we had the chance.  Fired from Indiana for "philosophical differences" after some of the players and their parents complained about him being too hard-nosed and demanding.  Folks at Ohio State (where he was recently hired to be OC) consider it a huge get.

WDE!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's far from a given now that he will end up at FAU this season.

I take it there is no contract yet? 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think folks are making too much of the money thing with Rhett....he's young and has about 30 years ahead of him as a coach...and taking this job is an investment in his future. Gus took a cut to go to Arky State and made it up quickly. Hoping Rhett has good success up there, brings them some offensive talent and proves what he can do on his own. And by the way, that is what KB needs too...his success came while he was standing at his father's side and though some people want to think that he was in charge of the offense, there is a need for him to prove it...and FAU is a good place. Bet he took a pay cut to go down there too...

Yep. 

Woke up to the news CRL is now the UConn OC and couldn't be happier for him.  He has enough confidence in his coaching abilities to step out on his own to "spread his wings".  I hope CRL the best in his new endeavor and anticipate he will succeed where ever he goes.

Now we will see the true nature of Gus as a head coach.  His "training" as a head coach is officially over.  Gus will either choose an OC that he can mentor (Kendall Briles type) or an established OC that can run that side of the ball without Gus micromanaging.  If he chooses Hand or (heaven forbid) Kodi, we may as well start the coaching search early (JMO).

I look forward to some new blood on the offensive side of the ball and being allowed to have real input into the system being run. I'm feeling optimistic today.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I take it there is no contract yet? 

Doesn't matter. There are a few coaches each year that move on from a new job without ever coaching a down to take a bigger/better job.

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

As I stated in my post I'm not endorsing Art in any way.  I, to, believe in the higher standard.  And one of the reasons that I support Gus is his "standards".

For your sake I'm glad you didn't include the C-word with this post.  For some reason people get wonky when the C-word is mentioned.

WDE!

2 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

For your sake I'm glad you didn't include the C-word with this post.  For some reason people get wonky when the C-word is mentioned.

WDE!

C-word?

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Doesn't matter. There are a few coaches each year that move on from a new job without ever coaching a down to take a bigger/better job.

That's true and I never feel good about it either.  There is not much honor in sports ...but I keep hoping that a person's word actually means something....JMO

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think folks are making too much of the money thing with Rhett....he's young and has about 30 years ahead of him as a coach...and taking this job is an investment in his future. Gus took a cut to go to Arky State and made it up quickly. Hoping Rhett has good success up there, brings them some offensive talent and proves what he can do on his own. And by the way, that is what KB needs too...his success came while he was standing at his father's side and though some people want to think that he was in charge of the offense, there is a need for him to prove it...and FAU is a good place. Bet he took a pay cut to go down there too...

I agree.  He's too early in his career to be above taking a step back to be able to step further forward in a few years.

Gus has someone in mind...NSD is right around the corner.  Do we have an announcement this weekend perhaps?  Isn't Big Cat next weekend? 

It's time to make a splash!  Fans should be encouraged by the opportunity of a 'newish' look to the Offense.  This series of events will also show us if Gus is really ready to become a HC or if he still wants to be the OC. 

Best of luck to Rhett and his family, he deserves the chance to step out of Malzahn's shadow and really shine.  I hope the best for him, War Eagle Rhett!

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's true and I never feel good about it either.  There is not much honor in sports ...but I keep hoping that a person's word actually means something....JMO

So if you have accepted a lateral position with Company A then Company B comes along and offers you a big promotion with a significant salary increase, you're going to "keep your word" and stick with Company A?  Seriously?

Its what happens, not just in football, but in real life.  It really doesn't have anything to do with honor.

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The bolded statement is something that is hard for some people to grasp after reading some posts on here, but in many industries it's a given if you want to succeed.  Taking a pay cut and still taking the job shows CRL's confidence in his coaching abilities, whether he was "forced" out or took the job as his best option really doesn't matter. This is a new start for him to show what he can do.  Good luck to him.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The bolded statement is something that is hard for some people to grasp after reading some posts on here, but in many industries it's a given if you want to succeed.  Taking a pay cut and still taking the job shows CRL's confidence in his coaching abilities, whether he was "forced" out or took the job as his best option really doesn't matter. This is a new start for him to show what he can do.  Good luck to him.

Let's look at it this way...if you or I or most of the posters on this board took a pay cut of 1/2, we'd probably be in real bad shape.  Rhett is a football coach, he can go from making 300K to 1.3MM at the drop of a hat.  Most of us do not have that luxury.  I just really think the drop in $$ is not that important for someone in his profession.

Just now, BornAU76 said:

Let's look at it this way...if you or I or most of the posters on this board took a pay cut of 1/2, we'd probably be in real bad shape.  Rhett is a football coach, he can go from making 300K to 1.3MM in the drop of a hat.  Most of us do not have that luxury.  I just really think the drop in $$ is not that important for someone in his profession.

At his level its not.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

with GREATLY different results. When Spurrier meddles you hush up and listen and say yes sir because hes a legend. When gus does it? you roll your eyes.

No one was rolling their eyes in 2013... There may be no way to know, with the changes happening now, but I believe that we would have been world beaters again, next year, even if there wasn't a change in staff. The lack of key personnel showed the deficiencies in Gus as a coach. I'm sure the same could have happened to Spurrier, or any other coach.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Heck, every jump I've made in my career, I've taken a pay cut.  Within 18 months I was always making more than I did at the previous job.  If you are confident in your ability to prove your worth, an initial pay cut is far from a hurdle.

14 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

Gus has someone in mind...NSD is right around the corner.  Do we have an announcement this weekend perhaps?  Isn't Big Cat next weekend?

The rumblings I've read are that Gus has already basically hired someone (no, the rumblings didn't identify who).  I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced today.

1 minute ago, BornAU76 said:

Let's look at it this way...if you or I or most of the posters on this board took a pay cut of 1/2, we'd probably be in real bad shape.  Rhett is a football coach, he can go from making 300K to 1.3MM in the drop of a hat.  Most of us do not have that luxury.  I just really think the drop in $$ is not that important for someone in his profession.

I don't like to get personal on forums, but back in the day I took a 60% pay cut for a year for the opportunity to make 5 times my salary in a year.  That job depended on my ability in the industry I was a part of and it was a gamble.  Sometime you have to believe in your dream and man up.  It's not for everyone.  Not directed at you and your situation, as I don't know what that is, but some one like CRL has to do something or get off the pot, so to speak.

I don't want Hand as our OC. Might as well keep Rhett if we're just going to hire Hand. Let him concentrate of being our OL coach. Get a real OC please! 

I think some are missing the big story here. Gus and Rhett were very tight, for this to happen it is clear that outside force came to bare. I think that it is quite obvious that JJ has spoken with Gus. We will be told that was not the case but it was. I am sure Gus has been informed that another season such as this one will result in him being unemployed. That gives me some hope in that Gus knows he needs to step back and let someone else make some improvement to this offense. He has to decide if he wants to be an OC or HC. If he doesn't change he will be out and probably never sniff another decent HC job, so he will be back in the OC job hunting group. I think Rhett will get a good shot at a HC position if he can do his job at UCONN. May be the best move he ever made. WDE

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don't like to get personal on forums, but back in the day I took a 60% pay cut for a year for the opportunity to make 5 times my salary in a year.  That job depended on my ability in the industry I was a part of and it was a gamble.  Sometime you have to believe in your dream and man up.  It's not for everyone.  Not directed at you and your situation, as I don't know what that is, but some one like CRL has to do something or get off the pot, so to speak.

Kind of the same kind of decision.

I left a job to get away from my mentor. I love the man and enjoyed working for him but everything we did was always credited to him. I made the move to start my own success story.

My former mentor and I remained good friends until he died.

Archived