247Sports: 4* (Top247)
ESPN: 4*
Rivals: 4* (Rivals250)
Scout: 4*

• AU offered  2/13/17
  • Unofficial visits to AU 7/21/17, Big Cat Weekend and 5/12/17
  • Plans to be an EE
  • Recruiter: Herb Hand
  • As a sophomore at Austin, Martin ran for 1,374 yards and 12 touchdowns while helping the Black Bears reach the Class 6A semifinals. He also started at safety and was a special teams ace with five blocked kicks.
  • During his one season at IMG, Martin was the team’s second leading amassing 372 yards and four touchdowns on 49 carries in eight games. He also caught 17 passes for 235 yards.
  • Asa Martin will return to Austin High in Decatur to play for the Black Bears in 2017. Martin thanked IMG and said it was an "unforgettable experience," ... "There is nothing like home, playing football and making memories with the people you love the most," he wrote on Twitter, "so I am transferring back to Austin High School."

Offers: Auburn, Alabama, Baylor, Buffalo, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Maryland, Michigan, Miss. State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, Rutgers, South Alabama, Tennessee, Texas, Troy, West Virginia and Wisconsin, among others.

Here's what he said about his finalists

AUBURN: "The school has probably been recruiting me the longest. It feels like home around there. I have a great relationship with (offensive coordinator) Coach (Chip) Lindsey and (running backs) Coach (Tim) Horton. What they do on offense is one of the best fits for me because we run some of the same stuff at Austin."

ALABAMA: "The thing with them, it's the mecca of college football. They're going to be in the position to win a national championship every year and they send their guys to the NFL. That's what helps most about them."

FLORIDA: "My relationship with (assistant) Coach (JaJuan) Seider is probably the biggest asset with them. I love it in Gainesville too. It's a very nice town. It's beautiful. Me living in Florida gives them a little up too, living there last year (going to IMG Academy)."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/07/could_national_champions_becom.html

HUDL Highlights

-1c01a0bfa2e46d17.JPG

DDQ4fZcW0AIs8KT.jpg

DBb1la_XgAAvhQQ.jpg

C_uqjynWAAA-oZL.jpg

C875oofUIAEeOsU.jpg

Interview after AU offer

Asa Martin had an important notification on his phone when he finished his high school basketball practice Monday.

It was a direct message from Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton who wanted Martin to give him a call when he was free. Martin obliged. On the other side of the line, Horton and offensive line coach Herb Hand chatted with Martin for a few minutes — nothing out of the ordinary for Auburn’s player-friendly coaches.

Then, Horton halted the small talk and got to the purpose of the phone call.

“Him and coach Hand talked for a little bit, then they told me they wanted to offer me a scholarship to Auburn University,” Martin told SEC Country. “I’m really excited about it. It’s one I’ve been waiting for.”

The 6-foot, 193-pound running back is the No. 11 back in the country. Auburn is the 17th offer for the 4-star running back from Decatur, Ala. Martin’s previous offers include Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, Baylor, LSU, Oregon, Wisconsin and Tennessee, to name the top programs.

Auburn RB target Asa Martin (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)
Auburn RB target Asa Martin (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)

Still, neither of the in-state SEC schools had offered the eighth-ranked prospect in the state of Alabama — until Monday.

Auburn immediately enters the equation for Martin, though he said all programs that have offered remain on equal footing.

“No leaders right now. Not yet. I’m just really enjoying the process,” Martin said.

That hasn’t stopped Martin from assessing why Auburn seems like the right fit.

Martin’s communications with Auburn picked up upon Chip Lindsey’s hire as offensive coordinator. Lindsey is a big reason Martin made the trip for the January junior day. Lindsey told Martin that he sat down with Gus Malzahn last week to evaluate Martin’s film. They both liked what they saw, which led to the offer.

Martin has always had a high opinion of Auburn. His appreciation has grown as Lindsey, Horton, Hand and Malzahn have told him how the “new” offense might match his skill set better than before.

“They’re doing a couple new things on offense this year to get the running backs’ hands in the passing game a little more. I really like that,” Martin said. “I’ve got real good hands out of the backfield. That’s something I pride myself on.”

Martin is deep in basketball season, so it’s hard for him to make regular recruiting trips this spring. He still has plans to make it to Ole Miss in March. Martin also expects to go to Oklahoma. He said the Sooners are the one team who he communicates with regularly that hasn’t offered yet.

He hopes that will change soon. Once those final offers flow in, Martin will begin narrowing in on his top preferences.

“I ain’t really rushing the decision,” Martin said. “It’ll probably be late this year. I’m going to graduate early. Somewhere around that time.”

Edited by ellitor

43 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Big offer. Lot of talented backs in this class, close to home.

I like several out of this class and Asa looks like a good one. Just from the short amount of film ive watched he reminds me of the baylor RB that played when stidham was there. Linwood? I didnt hear much talk about him but was blown away when watching stidhams games against K st, okie st, and OU.

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Always liked the name Asa and when was the last time anyone from Austin High signed with Auburn??

It's been a really long time. 

Austin is my Alma Mater. We have a very good coach now, and It is great to see us having legit SEC prospects. 

• Like 1

We don't get many from Decatur,it is a bammer strong hold.I would bet if they want him they will get him.

Well, some good news as far as that sort of thing goes, I know AHS's coach and he will not play that game.

He is an honest guy who genuinely cares about his players on and off the field. A potential bribe would be a strong negative for him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched his film I was impressed by how many times they showed him blocking you don't see that very much in highlight films but it is a skill that is really important at the next level. Also I loved how many times thy threw to him.  He has a very solid skill set running, blocking, and catching. If we really do add to our passing game having a RB who can block to protect the QB and catch out of the backfield is really important.

1 minute ago, War to the Eagle said:

Saw Florida CBs the other day.  They ain't KN, though.

Nor UF reporters.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Named Florida his leader 

just guessing but if AU turns up the heat on him he is ours. Florida is recruiting him the hardest right now.

17 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Named Florida his leader 

Link. Auburn needs to start recruiting him harder if they want him. From what I have gathered we have not gone balls to the walls after him yet.

Family approves

Florida is pursing several running backs in the Class of 2018, but none have pulled the trigger yet. However, one target at the position could be close.

Asa Martin, a 4-star recruit from Decatur, Ala., made a two-day trip to UF last weekend with his mother and brother. The visit vaulted the Gators to the top spot.

“Yeah, they’re my leader,” Martin said. “I’m kind of getting that feel of what I want in school from Florida. Just that home atmosphere. I get along with everyone there and I already feel like I’m part of the team.”

Apparently, his 14-year-old brother felt the same way. He even put Martin on the spot while in Gainesville.

“He actually asked me if I was going to commit,” Martin said. “He really wanted me to. He loved the Gators.”

So did Martin’s mother, who plays a big role in his recruitment. Last weekend was her first time visiting Florida.

“It’s very important that she came on the trip,” Martin said. “Her being comfortable with the school is one of the main factors in my recruitment. She liked everything about Florida. She was talking about it the whole time.”

Despite his family’s approval, Martin didn’t consider committing before he left UF. He wants to wait until at least the summer to make a decision.

“I definitely need to think things through,” Martin said. “I still have a few more places I want to visit. I don’t want to end my recruitment quick. I want to see what every school has to offer.”

Comfort level

The 6-foot, 193-pound currently has 20 offers and said Auburn, Michigan and Oklahoma are the only schools standing out to him. One of Martin’s offers is from West Virginia, and that came in February of 2016 from Ja’Juan Seider, who is Florida’s new running backs coach.

“Our relationship goes back to when he was at West Virginia,” Martin said. “He recruited me there as well. I’ve been talking to him for over a year now. So we’re real tight.

“What he did with his running backs at West Virginia was awesome. He sent a player to the league four years in a row, so he’s a good coach and knows what he’s doing.”

Martin met 1-on-1 with Seider and Gators coach Jim McElwain during his visit. Martin thinks highly of McElwain and the job he’s done at UF thus far.

“What he accomplished the last two years has been very impressive,” Martin said. “He brought Florida to back-to-back to the SEC championships, so that’s big. I want to go a school that has success and can be a contender for a championship every year.”

Martin said the highlight of his trip was spending time with running back Lamical Perine, quarterback Kadarius Toney and safety Jeawon Taylor, all of whom hail from Alabama.

“I love that there’s some guys from Alabama, especially a running back. It’s definitely nice,” Martin said. “I hung out with Lamical all day Friday and a little bit Saturday. He’s a real cool guy.

“He wasn’t really trying to recruit me. He was just being open and real whenever I asked him something. I hung out with Kadarius and Jeawon, too. I liked all those guys.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

just guessing but if AU turns up the heat on him he is ours. Florida is recruiting him the hardest right now.

I hope that's the case but I'm not sure it is. I think UF is a tough out here whether AU picks things up or not.

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

I hope that's the case but I'm not sure it is. I think UF is a tough out here whether AU picks things up or not.

florida does seem to have a IN somewhere on their staff with alabama kids. IDK why the staff is not turning up the heat on him. Kid wants to be at Auburn from everything I have heard. I hope this forces our staffs hand. Joiner seems to really be loving him some LSU RIGHT NOW and is on that visit high since it was his last visit. I really hope we do not come up empty here. We could easily miss out on both joiner and martin if we are not careful.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

florida does seem to have a IN somewhere on their staff with alabama kids.

With Asa it probably has something to do with him playing at IMG in Florida a season or 2.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kid wants to be at Auburn from everything I have heard.

Could be but I have not seen that in him any more than his affinity for UF in his recruitment. Remember, reading something on an AU site only gives you the AU side of things for the recruit often times.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We could easily miss out on both joiner and martin if we are not careful.

Yes we could but it wouldn't be the end of the world. This is a very deep RB class.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes we could but it wouldn't be the end of the world. This is a very deep RB class.

Unless we at least do a little work with them early, how deep the class is doesn't matter. We went through several years of very deep LB classes. We seemed to single out two or three, ignore the rest and by the time we'd missed on our chosen targets we were out of the running with the others. Hopefully we are smart enough to learn from the several years of making that mistake with LB's and won't repeat with the RB's. We need to cast a large enough net in order to be sure of landing at least one big fish come next February.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Unless we at least do a little work with them early, how deep the class is doesn't matter. We went through several years of very deep LB classes. We seemed to single out two or three, ignore the rest and by the time we'd missed on our chosen targets we were out of the running with the others. Hopefully we are smart enough to learn from the several years of making that mistake with LB's and won't repeat with the RB's. We need to cast a large enough net in order to be sure of landing at least one big fish come next February.

I know where you are coming from but it is also a balancing act when a kid sees you are recruiting a lot of LB's or RB's he can start to wonder how much interest you have in him.  How big a net you cast has to take into consideration how many you are planning to sign in the class. If you are signing one and the kids know it you could chase away the kid you want if you are showing interest to 5 or 6 kids if you are planning to sign 4 or 5 then showing interest in 8-10 is probably reasonable. In the past we did not have enough LB's in the net as you have documented but we seem to be improving there however we have done well at the RB position.

That said I like Asa a lot because of the balance of his skill set so I do hope if we don't get him it isn't because we did not show him how much we want him. I hope we are showing him a lot of attention as earlier I read that Chip loves this kid.

• Like 1