Wide Receivers

corchjay

For me this appears to be a strength of the team as far as overall talent is concerned.  We have a variety of playmakers at each of the 3, 4, and even 5 wide sets.  They all bring a diverse size and skill set to the table.  They all appear to have good hands and are able to make plays with their feet.  The diversity of the group is really what is intriguing and stands out to me.  

Scheme and experience should be a big factor going forward for these young men.  They should benefit greatly from both.

The only question mark for me is coaching.  I love Kodi and don't mind the hire (although I understand some saying we should only hire proven coaches) but his playing experience is against zone defenses and I'm not sure he had to learn how to create space to get open for himself.  Maybe he has learned that to be able to teach it.  We will have to see.  That's about the only thing I can see holding this group back.  I expect 2017 to bring back a normal balance on offense so 30 passes a game wouldn't surprise me and giving the WRs opportunities to show their talent and skill.

My prediction for depth chart -

KD/McClain

NCM/Slayton

Stove/J.Smith/Iggy

R. Davis/Hastings/JF3

** my opinion is that Whitlow makes the move to safety after a couple days at WR**

Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, corchjay said:

The only question mark for me is coaching.  I love Kodi and don't mind the hire (although I understand some saying we should only hire proven coaches) but his playing experience is against zone defenses and I'm not sure he had to learn how to create space to get open for himself.  Maybe he has learned that to be able to teach it.  We will have to see.  That's about the only thing I can see holding this group back.  I expect 2017 to bring back a normal balance on offense so 30 passes a game wouldn't surprise me and giving the WRs opportunities to show their talent and skill.

There is no excuse for not having talent.  The receivers have plenty of that.  The question is coaching.  Kodi has one year at Samford coaching running backs, one year at MTSU coaching receivers, one year at Arizona State coaching receivers, and one year at Auburn coaching receivers.  Four total years of combined experience, three years coaching receivers.  So not a lot of experience, BUT Kodi could be a coaching prodigy.  We don't really know.  There isn't a lot of data to go off of.  Like Rhett Lashlee, Gus has fast tracked Kodi's success.  With Stidham at QB, Chip running the offense and Gorgeous Borges as an analyst, I think there will be ample opportunity to see how well Kodi has coached these receivers.  

Other question marks I missed in the OP is who will be the go to guy?  When it's late in the 3rd qtr and you have a 3rd and 12 to go who do you look to first?  That is yet to be determined and probably won't be known until a few games in.  Leadship - who totes the mantle for these guys?  Ryan Davis?  

More breakdown in my opinion...

KD/McClain -- Possession/jump ball guys, split the safeties guys, slants

NCM/Slayton - burners/sideline guys

Stove/J.Smith/Iggy - intermediate route guys, deep crossing routes, speed sweep, motion into the backfield

R. Davis/Hastings/JF3 - bubble/jail break screens, shallow cross and drag routes, motion from one side of the field to the other

JF3 is definitely a wildcard type guy.  Lining him up where Davis and Hastings has been getting the defense worked on those shallow crossing routes, then try to hit JF3 with a corner route could possibly work.  Depends on how his hands develop.

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Stove/J.Smith/Iggy - intermediate route guys, deep crossing routes, speed sweep, motion into the backfield

I think this speaks volumes. The fact that we don't need to put our two fastest receivers in the burner role points to the level of talent we have. Imagine sending NCM, Slaton, Stove, and Iggy on simultaneous Go routes. Assuming we can protect the QB, with all of that speed, one is almost guaranteed to get open.

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

KD/McClain -- Possession/jump ball guys, split the safeties guys, slants

Agreed here.            

I see those guys possibly doing a little of everything, other than stuff in the backfield, screens, drags, etc.

Yup, although I'm not positive about Iggy. Any chance we redshirt him? Maybe depends on KD?

R. Davis/Hastings/JF3 - bubble/jail break screens, shallow cross and drag routes, motion from one side of the field to the other

Yep for sure on RD and WH.

JF3 is definitely a wildcard type guy.  Lining him up where Davis and Hastings has been getting the defense worked on those shallow crossing routes, then try to hit JF3 with a corner route could possibly work.  Depends on how his hands develop.

Makes sense to me, but he's also so fast in a straight line. Do you see them lining him up outside and just trying to take the top off the defense?                                                                       

I think for our WR's this year to go from good to great, hinges on KD returning to the team.  I actually think Hastings will get the nod over Ryan Davis however.  Nate Craig Meyers seems to be Stidham's go to guy as well, although that could be different if KD comes back.  Unfortunately, I think it is one year too late for JFIII.  I was not impressed with his technique or ball handling skills on A-Day.  He just really seemed lost and needed last year to learn the WR.  I am wanting to wait on Kodi.  Last year was not a good test for him.  Also, a lot of WR prospects are giving him praise since they can say "He was a WR here in this offense.  He knows how to do it and win a championship."  Very similar to Travis Williams having played here.  I do like putting McClain behind KD on the depth chart.  Good way to ease into actual playing time, and a very formidable back-up.  I really hope Jason Smith puts it together in his final season too.

I'm excited to see how McClain comes out and performs. He is a massive dude, about the size of Coates. I doubt he has the speed of Coates, but I expect for him to breakout this year. 

There's really no telling what receiver on this roster will have the "best" year. There are so many options of routes that we can run now with a QB like Stidham behind center. Slayton and Kyle Davis showed last season that they have great hands to catch off-passes. Nate Craig-Myers showed us in the spring game that he has the ability to adjust to the pass and make difficult catches as well. We are poised to have the best receiving core since Obomanu, Aromashodu, Courtney Taylor and Anthony Mix. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup, although I'm not positive about Iggy. Any chance we redshirt him? Maybe depends on KD?

Makes sense to me, but he's also so fast in a straight line. Do you see them lining him up outside and just trying to take the top off the defense?                                                                       

Iggy could definitely redshirt however I'm not sure what he gains being redshirted.  He's fast and physically developed already plus from what I understand he's a pretty smart kid.  He should be a good special teams contributor by the end of the season and have a few catches in mop-up duty if he isn't redshirted. 

Yes I could see JF3 lining up outside.  I could see him running go routes from the outside just as decoys on run plays as well.  Run those corners to death... 

Just now, corchjay said:

Iggy could definitely redshirt however I'm not sure what he gains being redshirted.  He's fast and physically developed already plus from what I understand he's a pretty smart kid.  He should be a good special teams contributor by the end of the season and have a few catches in mop-up duty if he isn't redshirted. 

I keep forgetting about him on ST. Even if he doesn't win a job fielding kicks, he might be a deadly gunner. 

Yes I could see JF3 lining up outside.  I could see him running go routes from the outside just as decoys on run plays as well.  Run those corners to death... 

@cole256 and I have talked about that before. No matter how bad his hands are- and they might not be bad at all- that deep shot has to be respected. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

No matter how bad his hands are- and they might not be bad at all- that deep shot has to be respected. 

Stidham does throw a very catchable deep ball.  Again, this year there are no excuses.

3 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

There is no excuse for not having talent.  The receivers have plenty of that.  The question is coaching.  Kodi has one year at Samford coaching running backs, one year at MTSU coaching receivers, one year at Arizona State coaching receivers, and one year at Auburn coaching receivers.  Four total years of combined experience, three years coaching receivers.  So not a lot of experience, BUT Kodi could be a coaching prodigy.  We don't really know.  There isn't a lot of data to go off of.  Like Rhett Lashlee, Gus has fast tracked Kodi's success.  With Stidham at QB, Chip running the offense and Gorgeous Borges as an analyst, I think there will be ample opportunity to see how well Kodi has coached these receivers.  

Kodi spent only a few weeks at Arizona State, and it was as RB coach, not WR.

2 hours ago, logan adams said:

I'm excited to see how McClain comes out and performs. He is a massive dude, about the size of Coates. I doubt he has the speed of Coates, but I expect for him to breakout this year. 

There's really no telling what receiver on this roster will have the "best" year. There are so many options of routes that we can run now with a QB like Stidham behind center. Slayton and Kyle Davis showed last season that they have great hands to catch off-passes. Nate Craig-Myers showed us in the spring game that he has the ability to adjust to the pass and make difficult catches as well. We are poised to have the best receiving core since Obomanu, Aromashodu, Courtney Taylor and Anthony Mix. 

NCM was my favorite signee that season. But McClain was a close 2nd. I was hoping he would get to play last season. I think before he leaves Auburn, he will become a STUD WR. 

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

I totally agree. Even if just as a decoy. He has elite speed, and it WILL have to be accounted for. My only issue is that i feel, he would be taking a pass catcher off the field. I question how well he could catch unless he is WIDE open.

Scheme and QB situation are gonna make our WRs and Kodi look much better this year!

Lots of talent. I like your 2 deep @corchjay and yours and @McLoofus breakdown of each group's particular gifts. 

I was already thinking NCM would be our breakout star at WR going into Spring. Obviously his A-Day performance did nothing to sway me from that prediction. 

Here's a thought...quick slant routes might produce huge dividends for us this fall. Finally, we have proven mismatch options galore with real size and speed now. Not to mention a couple QB's with a quick release and great touch and accuracy...Stidham can really spin it...I can't wait to watch!!

NCM really impressed me in the spring game.  KD was the highlight last year.  I also like the physical catch and run by McClain in the spring game. This group as a whole should be great.  It makes me sick how the freshman class of receivers was wasted last year.  

I honestly have no idea about the depth chart. So many have huge potential. Not enough balls to reach all that potential but I hope our offense is not so run heavy now. Spread the wealth. ...... No pun intended about lack of balls. 

8 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Damn.  So KJ is on drugs?:laugh:

I just love that the players are in on the small, white receiver joke. (Also a bit of comradery and inclusion being displayed here.)

will be floored if NCM is not our break out receiver. I believe he has the size and good hands to be a dominant Mike Williams type receiver. Hope I'm right.

Archived