Athlon ranking #9

aubiefifty

9. Auburn

auburn-tigers.pngThe Tigers are the biggest threat to Alabama in the SEC. With the addition of former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham, the offense now has a difference-maker under center to go with one of the conference’s top ground attacks. Stidham impressed this spring and possesses the arm strength and accuracy to open up the passing game downfield. He’s also surrounded by a cast of promising playmakers on the outside, including sophomore Nate Craig-Myers. Kamryn Pettway emerged as one of the SEC’s top running backs after posting 1,224 yards in 2016. He’s joined by Kerryon Johnson to form one of the league’s top tandems, while the offensive line is once again a strength with the return of three starters. Kevin Steele’s defense also is in good shape for 2017. Sophomore Marlon Davidson should fill the void left behind by Carl Lawson in the trenches, while the linebacker unit is anchored by Deshaun Davis and Tre Williams. Depth is an issue at safety, but cornerback Carlton Davis is one of the best in the SEC. A Week 2 road trip to Clemson is a huge opportunity to make an early statement, while contending in the West is likely to come down to an Oct. 14 road date at LSU and the Nov. 25 Iron Bowl.  

Make a STATEMENT in Clemson TIGERS!

The entire college football nation will be watching the Tigers go at it on national TV.   Get it done Gus!

Glad there is a game before the Clemson game to give them some confidence and get things going on both sides of the ball. I feel more comfortable than if Clemson was the first game of the season. Getting the national champs early is a huge chance and I'm still aggravated by the fact that we had Miami in the 1984 Kickoff Classic and lost after we were snubbed by the polls in '83 in favor of them. Time for Auburn to make a statement. 

35 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Glad there is a game before the Clemson game to give them some confidence and get things going on both sides of the ball. I feel more comfortable than if Clemson was the first game of the season.

Best case scenario... Clemson annihilates their first game cupcake, comes out cocky against us, and we hit them square in the mouth on he first drive. Clemsoning is, after all, still in the Urban Dictionary.

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Best case scenario... Clemson annihilates their first game cupcake, comes out cocky against us, and we hit them square in the mouth on he first drive. Clemsoning is, after all, still in the Urban Dictionary.

I would love for Clemson to take us lightly but I don't see that happening.

9 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I wouldn't bet money they would, that's for sure, but sometimes a first national championship in forever can go to a teams head. I can't help but think that was part of the problem for us in 2011.

39 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I wouldn't bet money the would, that's for sure, but sometimes a first national championship in forever can go to a teams head. I can't help but think that was part of the problem for us in 2011.

If you'll recall, who was the first team we lost to after we won the NC?  That would be Clemson.  Time to return the favor.

5 minutes ago, Gibson SG said:

If you'll recall, who was the first team we lost to after we won the NC?  That would be Clemson.  Time to return the favor.

But in a MUCH classier fashion.

And so it begins. We will be top 10 in almost every ranking. Can we finally live up to lofty expectations? Can JS stay healthy and lead our new ? This season is soooo big for Gus and the AU program. That Clemson game can really set the tone. 

I am looking forward to it!!

I'd say this is fair, considering the way the defense played last year and the addition of a blue chip QB to go along with our young receivers and running game. I wouldn't want to start out any higher than this, and I kinda hope the AP/Coaches' polls have us in the teens at the start of the year, but from the outside looking in, this is a good team that signed the one piece missing from becoming a great team. Time will tell if it all plays out that way, but I think #9 is a pretty decent spot for us in the preseason.

Considering the offensive offense we've seen the last 2 seasons, I'm stunned that AU seems to be a popular top 10 preseason pick. There's talent for sure, but there must be a lot of confidence that Stidham and Lindsey are going to be able to pull the offense out of a 2 season funk. I'm just not convinced that Gus is really giving up control on offense.

Nobody will take Auburn lightly.   You can't watch any game that K Pettway was in and not be impressed by the power and our efficiency throwing the ball.  When were 'on', we were world beaters.  Unfortunately the opposite was also true.  

As for the defense, I think Coach K Steele is the real deal.  I am still amazed how well we came out of the gate last year AND sustained it.   Clear your calendars, this is going to be a special season.

WDE!

16 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Definitely not. We are their toughest test next season.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

from the outside looking in, this is a good team that signed the one piece missing from becoming a great team.

Hit the nail on the head. If we had a quality back-up QB last year we could be sitting here complaining that #9 is too low.

15 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I wouldn't bet money they would, that's for sure, but sometimes a first national championship in forever can go to a teams head. I can't help but think that was part of the problem for us in 2011.

I agree that probably had something to do with our showing in 2011. I also think the biggest factor in our showing in 2011 was the fact we didn't have Cam Newton at QB.

I just can't go another year with the team doing good then things going to crap at the end again...

On 5/24/2017 at 10:39 AM, keesler said:

Make a STATEMENT in Clemson TIGERS!

The entire college football nation will be watching the Tigers go at it on national TV.   Get it done Gus!

There was a thread on Rivals about the talent Clemson has back on D. Their DL is unreal. Would be a huge win. 

9 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Don't over look Georgia Southern. We need to think about them first.

We aren't on the team, we can think about whatever we want to think about. I personally am thinking about playing some golf this weekend and enjoying eating grilled meats while drinking outside.

On 5/25/2017 at 8:24 AM, lionheartkc said:

I'd say much more of a losing a Cam Newton, Nick Fairley and company than anything going to their head.  Seems comparative that Clemson lost Watson to the draft, so we'll see.....

No one is going to take us lightly this season. 

We're starting the season #9 (according the Athlon but I'm going to use it just for the sake of a ranking) 

We played one hell of a game against Clemson last year and now travel to their house to take them on after one of their greatest seasons of all time. Unless something crazy happens to us week one, we'll be walking in their with a target on our back as Clemson will want to prove they still have what they had last year and beating a top 10 SEC team can do that for you. They'll have just as much of a target on their's but there is no way they're taking us lightly.

And if we do have a good team this year, especially if we have a team entering SEC play undefeated with a W against the reigning champs, no one is taking us lightly this year. 

Side note: How sad is it that someone could sanely make an argument for another football team taking the Tigers of Auburn University lightly. 

Like, I'm pretty sure most of us disagree with it being a possibility, but it's not exactly as ridiculous a thought as it should be.

That stops now. Right, Gus?

Right?

It's actually very ridiculous with what we have coming back and what we bought to the table . Not to mention Clemson has a lot of relatively unknowns . They aren't playing Mississippi state here.

20 hours ago, logan adams said:

Definitely not. We are their toughest test next season.

Us and FSU. Louisville who knows.

Archived