Baseball vs Arkansas Game Thread (SEC Tourney Elimination Game)

Getting "no hit" by three pitchers is really sad. 

I can understand a hot pitcher shutting down a team but to have 3 different guys come and do that...really hurts.  And while I did not see the entire game, I don't recall nor did they show any saving plays that kept the no hitter alive.  Usually in such a situation, there are a couple remarkable defense plays that keep things going ...but of the game I saw, the AU batters barely threatened to break loose. 

I kept waiting to see if AU would try a bunt for a base hit to break up the hitless streak in the last couple innings.  Sometimes that is considered dirty pool ...but whatever, nobody on the AU team seemed determined to avoid suffering the indignity of the first no hitter in SEC tournament history....and that's one for the record books that I could do without. 

But the good thing about baseball...that's just one game though how we lost rather than the loss itself it what is bothersome.  We will almost certainly face a superior team in the NCAA regional and as noted by someone above, the team needs a bit of swagger and confidence to get anywhere next week. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Minor correction: We're 3-3 in our last six.

Yeah, my bad lost 10 of the last 13.

9 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Yeah, my bad lost 10 of the last 13.

Yeah, not great, but we can still steal a regional against just about anyone with our starting rotation.

Guys- they didn't finish a game until 130 in the morning. Meaning they probably weren't in bed until 230-3. That puts you in a serious funk. Arkansas is a good team- potential regional host- they had only played one game thus far. Our best shot was against MSU. 

We're in the tournament. Most sites project ole miss as last four in, we're in. Baseball America is projecting us to Florida's region

Didn't get to see the game, was on a plane yesterday evening.  Checked the score around the fifth and saw the ugly number.  Can't say I'm shocked.  The beautiful thing about this is that these guys jumped way farther into the deep end this year than anybody expected.  They're getting incredibly strong on the job training and their boss has been there and done that.  I expect they will get some valuable down time to recharge.  What we are seeing is a team that had no idea what to expect when they were in the midst of a meaningful month of games in late May...there just isn't any way to teach experience without going through it.  Even if we go "two and a barbecue" at the regional it will have been a tremendous year.  I'll keep saying it, we are in for a strong run like this program has never seen in baseball.  Butch Thompson is the man. 

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

PITIFUL. PITIFUL. PITIFUL.

Go pity the Updykes, they just had to fire their brand new coach who had four years and nearly a million dollars on his contract.  Nearly $50 Million wasted on a (still) crappy looking brand new baseball complex.  Or Tennessee who started the season like a freight train (12-2 pre conference) and will spend most of May and all of June getting ready for summer ball.  They can't even get it right buying some other successful program's head coach.  Or Georgia who have every advantage known to college baseball and haven't legitimately sniffed the road to Omaha since they rented Ron Polk to remind them that the baseball season ends in Nebraska.  You obviously have no idea how strong this conference is in EVERY sport. You aren't cut out to be a fan in the SEC.  Especially not in this family.  It really is different, and you're really not.

56 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Baseball America is projecting us to Florida's region

I'm betting O'Sullivan and the boys want no part of these Tigers coming to Gainesville next week.  We just might ruin their party.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Getting "no hit" by three pitchers is really sad. 

I can understand a hot pitcher shutting down a team but to have 3 different guys come and do that...really hurts.  And while I did not see the entire game, I don't recall nor did they show any saving plays that kept the no hitter alive.  Usually in such a situation, there are a couple remarkable defense plays that keep things going ...but of the game I saw, the AU batters barely threatened to break loose. 

I kept waiting to see if AU would try a bunt for a base hit to break up the hitless streak in the last couple innings.  Sometimes that is considered dirty pool ...but whatever, nobody on the AU team seemed determined to avoid suffering the indignity of the first no hitter in SEC tournament history....and that's one for the record books that I could do without. 

But the good thing about baseball...that's just one game though how we lost rather than the loss itself it what is bothersome.  We will almost certainly face a superior team in the NCAA regional and as noted by someone above, the team needs a bit of swagger and confidence to get anywhere next week. 

Agreed about the three pitchers scenario. Just indicates that team was not mentally into the game whatsoever and was ready to go home. Poor effort. Coaches need to take some heat for allowing team to waller around like. Should have been some serious "conversations" during the game about "who wanted to be on the field" at the moment.

No way around it. That was a bad outing. I'm going to chalk it up to the game before ending so late and throwing everyone off their game and their routine. We looked engaged and competitive until the Spanberger grand slam. That killed any hope of the guys fighting back. Just need to erase this game from the memory and start focusing on our approaches at the plate and throwing strikes for the regional. 

15 hours ago, AUTiger2012 said:

No reasonable person expected to win the tournament, but when you suck that hard that is a problem of effort and heart.  The coaches and team should be ashamed of their showing.

come on man!  I admit, I didnt see enough of the arky game to comment on it.  I bailed out in the second inning.  But I watched all of the Florida game and did the pbp on here.  The team showed tremendous heart and effort until 1 something Thursday morning.  They didnt all of a sudden become lesser people.  Bad game? obviously.  But that is an awfully broad brush by your comment.

8 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Guys- they didn't finish a game until 130 in the morning. Meaning they probably weren't in bed until 230-3. That puts you in a serious funk. Arkansas is a good team- potential regional host- they had only played one game thus far. Our best shot was against MSU. 

We're in the tournament. Most sites project ole miss as last four in, we're in. Baseball America is projecting us to Florida's region

Problem is , we've been in a serious funk for quite some time. This isn't a one game issue that can just be excused by lack of sleep imo. 

Maybe I lost track with all the schedule changes but didn't Arky play a game earlier in the day before the AU game......the late game was no picnic but all the teams are off schedule.

5 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Problem is , we've been in a serious funk for quite some time. This isn't a one game issue that can just be excused by lack of sleep imo. 

The funk started about the time Jarvis went out of the line up with those back spasms IIRC. His bat has been missed and the offense has been off ever since. It just messed up the chemistry or something.

In other news, Arkansas is now beating the 1 seeded Florida Gators 13-0 in the fifth!!!!! Looks like we ran into a blazing hot team...

It's now 14-0, Florida has only one hit, and Spanberger has hit TWO MORE home runs...... 

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

In other news, Arkansas is now beating the 1 seeded Florida Gators 13-0 in the fifth!!!!! Looks like we ran into a blazing hot team...

It's now 14-0, Florida has only one hit, and Spanberger has hit TWO MORE home runs...... 

And they put some runs on the board against MSU also.....looks like when the get to the secondary pitchers or tired starters the Arky hitters can wear out the baseball..but that's been their story most of the year.

Archived