When does Saban Retire

Beaker

28 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Out of curiosity, for what reason? Because UAT won't pursue him?

No reason for him to move. He has a great gig at Clemson in a P5 league easier to win & go undefeated in.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No reason for him to move. He has a great gig at Clemson in a P5 league easier to win & go undefeated in.

Yeah I don't buy that argument. It would be one thing if Alabama didn't want him, and maybe they don't. I firmly believe that if Alabama put the full court press on Dabo, he'd leave Clemson. 

*when I say I don't buy that argument, I'm not saying that you are wrong about the Clemson job. I just can't see Dabo turning down the Alabama job, all things considered.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

It will take Saban 8 to 10 years to pass Bear Bryant's win record.

Saban needs 2 more NCs at Bama to match Bryant's 6 Bama NCs. He would pass Bryant in total NCs (7 vs. 6) at that point.

I do not think Saban will coach past age 70, so he is not going after 324 wins. But I do think Saban believes he can match Saban's 6 NCs, and perhaps hit 7 NCs with Bama, becoming the greatest Bama HC ever.

I think Saban set this as his personal goal when he agreed to stay at Bama.

I think Saban would like to win an NC every year, but I also think he sees himself going out on top, winning that 6th or 7th NC in 2020 or 2021, then announcing his retirement.

I think if Saban stumbles over the next three years, the frustration might become a factor. Each year Saban gets closer to age 70, the chance a recruit will not play under Saban for his entire career becomes a factor. Saban may need to consider a Head Coach in Waiting to prevent recruiting drop-off. I know HCIW's are problematic now, but I don't know how Bama avoids this. Recruiting declines happen at every program when the legendary coach is perceived to be approaching retirement.

Excellent post

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Pretty much this and who wants to follow NS is asking for a nightmare...imo

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think Dabo coaches at uat. 

Wow that would be a shocker. Hope you are correct.

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Pretty much this and who wants to follow NS is asking for a nightmare...imo

You could be right. It would say a lot about Dabo if he stayed at Clemson. I go back in forth on whether or not I like him. He's done some things that have really pissed me off in the past, but there are other times when I think that I really like the guy. I think I'd like him more at Clemson, aside from the obvious reasons. 

16 hours ago, Barnacle said:

It would be one thing if Alabama didn't want him, and maybe they don't.

I an tell you that the unwashed masses of fans don't.  He cost them a national championship. That's an unforgivable sin in their books.  I've yet to read anything for a standard bama fan about Dabo that isn't negative. They consider him their own personal Benedict Arnold.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I an tell you that the unwashed masses of fans don't.  He cost them a national championship. That's an unforgivable sin in their books.  I've yet to read anything for a standard bama fan about Dabo that isn't negative. They consider him their own personal Benedict Arnold.

That's news to me, lion. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

That's news to me, lion. 

Really? I mean I certainly don't frequent bama message boards, but I've seen plenty of Dabo hate coming out of Tuscaloosa and absolutely no good words toward the man. Now, I don't live in the South, so I don't hear anything, I just read... so there's that, but anytime I see a topic about the next bama coach and Dabo's name pops up, it's pretty quickly followed by a bunch of bama fans talking about how they would run him out of town if he even thought of trying to be their coach.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Really? I mean I certainly don't frequent bama message boards, but I've seen plenty of Dabo hate coming out of Tuscaloosa and absolutely no good words toward the man. Now, I don't live in the South, so I don't hear anything, I just read... so there's that, but anytime I see a topic about the next bama coach and Dabo's name pops up, it's pretty quickly followed by a bunch of bama fans talking about how they would run him out of town if he even thought of trying to be their coach.

To be honest, I haven't heard anything one way or the other. I work with a bunch of Alabama fans, and also one Clemson grad. I might ask the question just to see what people think. I don't know, I just think that most reasonable fans understand how good of a coach Dabo is, and if he is capable of beating Nick Saban, then he ought to be considered. It wouldn't be surprised if the rabble rousers out in the sticks hate Dabo's guts, but their opinion won't matter, I wouldn't think. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

most reasonable fans

See.... there's your problem. You're equating bama fans with reasonable fans. Sure,they have their share, but it's not a large percentage. I would bet good money that, when Saban decides to retire, the fans will be hounding the university to buy an NFL coach, because no college coach is good enough for them.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

See.... there's your problem. You're equating bama fans with reasonable fans. Sure,they have their share, but it's not a large percentage. I would bet good money that, when Saban decides to retire, the fans will be hounding the university to buy an NFL coach, because no college coach is good enough for them.

Except most Alabama fans aren't in any way connected the University. No one at Alabama cares what they think. On the other hand, those alumni who are connected with the University, those that sit on their board, and those that give the school money - those are the voices that will be listened to. And, based upon their recent hires within and around the athletic department, they seem like a pretty reasonable crowd to me. 

15 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Except most Alabama fans aren't in any way connected the University. No one at Alabama cares what they think. On the other hand, those alumni who are connected with the University, those that sit on their board, and those that give the school money - those are the voices that will be listened to. And, based upon their recent hires within and around the athletic department, they seem like a pretty reasonable crowd to me. 

Could be.  The way I see it is that most of the fans don't care a lick about anything but football, and when it comes to changes to football, they will make their voices heard (you know... like they do when they lose... shoot people... burn things... poison other things... etc.). Whether the University listens is yet to be seen, but the fact that they might be terrified to alienate what is, in effect, a giant and highly volatile revenue stream, most of which is armed, could sway them to actually care what these otherwise unaffiliated idiots think.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Could be.  The way I see it is that most of the fans don't care a lick about anything but football, and when it comes to changes to football, they will make their voices heard (you know... like they do when they lose... shoot people... burn things... poison other things... etc.). Whether the University listens is yet to be seen, but the fact that they might be terrified to alienate what is, in effect, a giant and highly volatile revenue stream, most of which is armed, could sway them to actually care what these otherwise unaffiliated idiots think.

:laugh: They sure do have a lot of crazies, that's for sure. 

Either way, they'd be foolish not to consider Dabo, and I expect that when the time comes, they will at least interview him. I'd expect that he would give them the courtesy of an interview, too, even if he isn't interested in the job. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

:laugh: They sure do have a lot of crazies, that's for sure. 

Either way, they'd be foolish not to consider Dabo, and I expect that when the time comes, they will at least interview him. I'd expect that he would give them the courtesy of an interview, too, even if he isn't interested in the job. 

Definitely. If it happens behind closed doors, he's the obvious choice and one of the few I think would be willing to pick up Saban's mantle and try to run with it (whether he can forge and unholy alliance with the NCAA is yet to be seen).

If they keep winning, then the unwashed masses will fall in line. T-shirts and bumper stickers sell themselves as long as the wins happen. 

Saban had 9 recruiting violations in football this year, one by himself. Seems he called a players number instead of the coach's. Everybody that believes that stand on head.

One thing that could potentially hurt bama if Dabo is their coach is the contrasting styles between him and Saban. The players would probably be able to "relax" a little more under Dabo which could lead to a loss or 2 more than they are accustomed to. Of course they will be stacked from a personnel standpoint so that could potentially offset this and Dabo has shown he can still bring in killer recruiting classes without a Bama like machine behind him.

Maybe the relaxing and additional losses idea is some wishful thinking on my part.

My question is... why doesn't Auburn step up instead of him stepping down? Some folks act scared...our staff should be accountable much to the consternation of some.War Tim said it best...beat him into retirement.

On 6/26/2017 at 5:24 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think Dabo coaches at uat. 

I believe that Dabo that has a deep desire to be the next coach at UAT. No info or insight, just personal opinion from assessing the kind of person that he seems to be. My hope is that he is not their next coach because the less I have to look at him the better. I just do not like him at all. 

15 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

My question is... why doesn't Auburn step up instead of him stepping down? Some folks act scared...our staff should be accountable much to the consternation of some.War Tim said it best...beat him into retirement.

I think you'll see, this year, that Auburn is stepping up, but there's only so high one can step when their opponent has obvious unfair advantages. While we will beat him again, the odds of a streak are pretty low when he can buy nearly any player he wants and insure others don't play for his toughest rivals.

Archived