Jeremy Johnson chooses different path

WFE12

Since football isn’t working out, ex-AU QB Jeremy Johnson has different pro career in mind

• 49bff8475880792d15c5d799bc2b1220?s=24&d= Andrew Olson
  •  
  •  

USATSI_9706697-722x380.jpg

With his college football career in the books, former Auburn QB Jeremy Johnson is turning back to the sport he calls his first love, basketball.

“It’s another opportunity,” told the Montgomery Advertiser’s A. Stacy Long. “It’s another way for me to provide for my family. When my agent called, he said, ‘If you really want to play basketball again, you have the talent.’”

Johnson hasn’t given up on football, but is looking at an opportunity to play professional basketball overseas.

“I said sure. I’m still waiting on football, but it feels good to be able to play basketball again.”

At G.W. Carver High School, Johnson played both football and basketball and initially planned to be a two-sport athlete at Auburn. Johnson’s agent Zack Gottfried says his client has been training in Miami and playing in a Montgomery adult league.

“He looks great,” Gottfried said. “He’s got it back pretty quickly. He has a great 3-point shot. He’s already lost 10 pounds, so he’s looking leaner. He’s getting his game back together.”

Johnson told the Advertiser he’s willing to play anywhere for an opportunity. He hopes to sign this month as many overseas leagues start in October.

Johnson’s high school coach James Jackson hopes to one day see his former player back in the states.

“I think he still has it for basketball,” Jackson said. “I would love to see him in the NBA someday.”

I hope this works out for him! I always pulled for him to turn it around and maybe this is his chance! Good luck!

I really thought he had a shot to make it to some NFL practice squad.  Wish him nothing but the best, but it seems like he's chasing a dream.

4 minutes ago, API said:

I really thought he had a shot to make it to some NFL practice squad.  Wish him nothing but the best, but it seems like he's chasing a dream.

Sometimes you have to chase your dreams.....I was always a bit disappointed that he did not give BB a try at AU but guess he was locked in for football....and perhaps just a different dream too. 

Wishing him good luck....seems to be a good guy and hope something develops for him. 

I think this is more reasonable than making an NFL squad. Beats a real job for sure. Hope it works out for him, always liked JJ. 

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

As a QB?  Really?

True...best opportunity would be some crappy team where he would get his brains beat  out behind a bad OL.    This is a good move.

9 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

As a QB?  Really?

Yes.

19 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I wish nothing but the best for JJ. 

Agreed, he always handled himself in a positive manner.  Wish him the best as well.

now look....Everybody that said anything negative would have a fit if you said the exact same thing about....You know what nevermind....as long as he has his degree I guess. As far as NBA....I doubt it, the position he'd have to play to have a chance at it is pg. You can make alot of money playing over seas though

Archived