Who is Auburn's 2nd toughest opponent?

ChaddScott

13 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I notice you're not disputing the fact that you have been disparaging about our coaching staff, so his point is made in spite of your repeated attempts to make him look foolish. Just stop, really. It's not difficult to see that you don't like Gus and company.

I like Gus better than Chizik as a HC. Chizik is a good guy.  I have been critical of our coaching staff because they have earned criticism.  0-6 against our two biggest rivals is deserving of criticism. Not to mention the coaching fubars that lead to JJ's meltdown and the coaching disasters that were uga 2014, uga 2015., Clemson 2016, Texas A&M 2016, uga 2016. 

wde

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Here's a nice graphic to show you and anyone else why I said what I said. Losing as many snaps as they have makes me believe we'll man handle them. 

IMG_4188.JPG

I like your optimism and I like the potential of our team. I think their defense is going to be pretty stout. Hope it goes like you predict :cheers:

4 hours ago, DAG said:

No disrespect to the 2010 and 2013 squad , but they weren't seeing these boys 

I'll always love that 2010 team for getting that natty that I was thinking I'd never see in my lifetime. Having said that 1983, 1988, and 2004 were all better/more complete teams IMO; all of them should have been winning or at least playing for that big prize.

Well the initial question itself is broken. Because our #1 opponent is ourselves. Last year's team had no business losing to Georgia and no business losing to Oklahoma, at least the way we did.

If this team comes out right mentally all game, every game, there's not a team in the nation we can't beat.

The top three most difficult (Alabama, Clemson and LSU) we are currently slight underdogs in Vegas. I can make a case for all three of them as the most difficult. I would rank Georgia and at Arkansas as the 4th and 5th most difficult. We could win or lose any of theses games.

It's all guess work at this point. Teams change as the games go by and injuries take a toll. What looks to be a tough game now may not be by the time we play that game and what looks to be an easy game may be really tough when it gets here.

14 hours ago, fredst said:

I'll always love that 2010 team for getting that natty that I was thinking I'd never see in my lifetime. Having said that 1983, 1988, and 2004 were all better/more complete teams IMO; all of them should have been winning or at least playing for that big prize.

A rumor I heard after the Sugar Bowl against Michigan was Auburn would have won the national title if we had scored at least one touchdow.

In 88 if we had beaten LSU we would have at least played for the national championship.

As for 2004 that was the un-perfect storm for Auburn. It really turned bad for Oklahoma.

51 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

http://www.secsports.com/video/20421362/auburn#

Gene Chizik and Greg McElroy predict Auburn's schedule.

Chizik has us losing to Clemson, LSU, and Bama. McElroy has us losing to Clemson and Bama.

There's a segment for each SEC team on the website as well.

If we lose to Clemson, it will be an epic fail.

Watched their Spring game and without their running game and defense, they will have to improve drastically before we play them to have a chance of beating us. We look better in every way and in every phase of the game.

34 minutes ago, bikeriderga said:

If we lose to Clemson, it will be an epic fail.

Watched their Spring game and without their running game and defense, they will have to improve drastically before we play them to have a chance of beating us. We look better in every way and in every phase of the game.

I agree. I don't see their offense being able to outscore ours. I do think their defense is really good though

6 hours ago, djg0017 said:

I agree. I don't see their offense being able to outscore ours. I do think their defense is really good though

Yes their defense is good, running game looked pretty good.

Their passing game was abysmal. I am sure that they will improve but none of their QBs in the Spring game were sharp and receivers were dropping passes.

17 minutes ago, bikeriderga said:

Yes their defense is good, running game looked pretty good.

Their passing game was abysmal. I am sure that they will improve but none of their QBs in the Spring game were sharp and receivers were dropping passes.

I think each of our position groups on offense beats theirs by a pretty wide margin. Except maybe OL is a little bit closer, but I'll take ours over anybody's.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:21 AM, War Knight said:

Well the initial question itself is broken. Because our #1 opponent is ourselves. Last year's team had no business losing to Georgia and no business losing to Oklahoma, at least the way we did.

If this team comes out right mentally all game, every game, there's not a team in the nation we can't beat.

Generally agree (of late) and high hopes that this is correct. Can't help but point, however, that though we've had some moral victories during off week, we've never actually beaten Bye.

Cheerleader mode - We beat us (and every body else) and at least tie Bye.

Do not put too much into Lsu, they will not be anywhere close to what they were last season. Their OC did not get the job done at NC State and was let go. He did a good job at Pitt no doubt though but overall a decent but not a great OC. I would list as bammer being the toughest with Clemson, then Uga and then Lsu.

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Do not put too much into Lsu, they will not be anywhere close to what they were last season. Their OC did not get the job done at NC State and was let go. He did a good job at Pitt no doubt though but overall a decent but not a great OC. I would list as bammer being the toughest with Clemson, then Uga and then Lsu.

I'll have a big bowl of disagree, please. LSU, M. Canada, and their talent scare the poo out of me.

No doubt its LSU, until we show that we can win down there like we used to a LONG time ago. People forget all the little things they have done to sabotage the team's psyche, and how good they are at it. The phantom whistle in the end zone. Field security harassing our AA kicker and not giving him room to practice, resulting in, what was it, 5 missed FGs? On and on. We have to be LOT better than them to beat them there. We only have to be a little better than Clemson on that day. 

The officials.  Considering the subpar officiating and inconsistency across the board in the SEC the last several years.  Here's to hoping they learned their own rule book this season.

I'm going to go with LSU as 2nd. I think Bama is definitely the hardest.. you can't dispute the talent gap between them and everybody else. I think this LSU team is less talented than any team we've had to play in Baton Rouge in a while. But.. there's definitely some crazy mojo down there. I think winning in Auburn last year will help with confidence a little but there's still a little bit of a mental hump to get over to win in Death Valley. Same with Georgia, I think we are the better team but the universe always works itself out to where we play down to Georgia's level and lose (or make it closer than necessary). Clemson I think is the 4th best team out of those top 4. Their DL scares me for sure but I think we've got them outmatched at QB, RB, WR, OL, DB, and special teams. Playing at their place will be somewhat of an equalizer but it's still not gonna be enough to overcome those position group mismatches.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'll have a big bowl of disagree, please. LSU, M. Canada, and their talent scare the poo out of me.

As long as the poo ends up on LSU's helmet and not ours! Could not resist that one Bird!  You do tend to be right a good deal of the time.

10 hours ago, djg0017 said:

I'm going to go with LSU as 2nd. I think Bama is definitely the hardest.. you can't dispute the talent gap between them and everybody else. I think this LSU team is less talented than any team we've had to play in Baton Rouge in a while. But.. there's definitely some crazy mojo down there. I think winning in Auburn last year will help with confidence a little but there's still a little bit of a mental hump to get over to win in Death Valley. Same with Georgia, I think we are the better team but the universe always works itself out to where we play down to Georgia's level and lose (or make it closer than necessary). Clemson I think is the 4th best team out of those top 4. Their DL scares me for sure but I think we've got them outmatched at QB, RB, WR, OL, DB, and special teams. Playing at their place will be somewhat of an equalizer but it's still not gonna be enough to overcome those position group mismatches.

I still say that UGA is our 2nd hardest team in that we have had a rivalry way before LSU came into the yearly picture. I will be glad when the SEC finally sees the light and place us in the East. This is long overdue big time.  We should have been there day one when the conference was split in half. The powers that be are geographically challenged with Mizzou and Vandy being further west than us. I think the rest of the SEC West would do cartwheels of happiness to trade us for Mizzou.  We still have the turds as our regular game, and start back a rivalry with Tenn. that should have never ended in the first place.  I miss that game so much each season and look forward to the day down the road somewhere when we leave the west for our home in the east.  I know Ellitor, it will be a long time before this happens. Then again you never know.  If we win the west and the conference on the way to our 3rd NC, then the powers that be might get off of the toilet and get down to business!

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I still say that UGA is our 2nd hardest team in that we have had a rivalry way before LSU came into the yearly picture. I will be glad when the SEC finally sees the light and place us in the East. This is long overdue big time.  We should have been there day one when the conference was split in half. The powers that be are geographically challenged with Mizzou and Vandy being further west than us. I think the rest of the SEC West would do cartwheels of happiness to trade us for Mizzou.  We still have the turds as our regular game, and start back a rivalry with Tenn. that should have never ended in the first place.  I miss that game so much each season and look forward to the day down the road somewhere when we leave the west for our home in the east.  I know Ellitor, it will be a long time before this happens. Then again you never know.  If we win the west and the conference on the way to our 3rd NC, then the powers that be might get off of the toilet and get down to business!

Yep and everybody would love 2 Iron Bowls a year!

Just now, djg0017 said:

Yep and everybody would love 2 Iron Bowls a year!

Now that would be a lot of fun! Imagine beating the turds 2 times in one season!

Archived