A few thoughts on M. Willis....

TecmoBoJackson

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might as well get him ready to go now that Sean is history.  From what I saw in the spring game the kid has all sorts of potential.  I hate to see him out there with our OL problems but it is what it is.  We need him now!

Can't see any reason to red shirt him any longer....might as well get him ready in case he is needed. 

Could be that a more mobile guy at QB could make the OL issue less obvious....plus I'm still looking to see the OL get better as they develop more cohesion as a unit.

I remember an unnamed QB who should have gotten a lot more playing time as the backup.  It is possible that he would have improved greatly or coaches could have seen that he was not nearly as good as they and fans thought he was.  And coaches could have realized they needed to recruit more QBs and not hitch their wagon to him. 

There are major advantages to giving Willis plenty of playing time. To not do so is extremely short sighted...but not surprising. 

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Who thinks Willis will get some reps this weekend?

I'm having a hard time coming to a decision on this issue.  We played Adams against Ga Southern, keeping the RS intact for Willis. I feel confident we'll handle Missouri and Stidham will run a smooth offense; Willis won't be needed.  I'm more concerned about hitting an offensive wall against MSU, similar to how we did against Clemson.  I think if that happens, then Gus burns the redshirt to try and switch something up offensively.   I'm interested to hear what others think. Its a very interesting situation.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I'm having a hard time coming to a decision on this issue.  We played Adams against Ga Southern, keeping the RS intact for Willis. I feel confident we'll handle Missouri and Stidham will run a smooth offense; Willis won't be needed.  I'm more concerned about hitting an offensive wall against MSU, similar to how we did against Clemson.  I think if that happens, then Gus burns the redshirt to try and switch something up offensively.   I'm interested to hear what others think. Its a very interesting situation.

I just don't see how you can keep his redshirt when theres 3 QBs and one is a walk on. Nothing against Adams and being a walk on, but we all know if he had to go in a real game situation hes just going to be handing it off 100 times.  Let MW get some real reps now.  What if Stidham gets hurt during Georgia game or down in Baton Rouge?  You throwing Adams out there? Burning MW's redshirt half way through season and his first snap is against an SEC team?  Let him play this week..

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

Need to have a couple of set series for him to play. Maybe one in the second and at least one in the fourth. Not mop up duty but run the offense. Urban Meyer did this with Tebow when he was a freshman. Seems like he always got him into the game no matter the situation. Willis needs game speed experience.

On September 15, 2017 at 3:07 PM, bigbird said:

To blame player's ....but its not the coach's job to execute them.

But what if the players need to be executed?

2 hours ago, The Freak said:

bwaaaahhhhaaaaaahahahahahhaha. (Laughing uncontrollably). We have seen a lot of player development from Gus over the years, haven't we.

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Here's a thought, EVERYBODY better hope he's REALLY good

Not much of a measuring stick, I know, but I like what I saw out of him in the A-Day game.........

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Here's a thought, EVERYBODY better hope he's REALLY good

That is a thought that everyone should be having.  If Stidham get hurt in the middle of a game that is not decided, then he needs to be ready.  Therefore, he needs as much playing time as possible.

wde

5 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

Malzahn? :roflol:

I hope it is a blowout this weekend and the coaches can get him some reps.  The Missouri defense has been a train wreck.  Of course everyone's D seems to get well against our O line so you never know it might be a close game.  

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I hope it is a blowout this weekend and the coaches can get him some reps.  The Missouri defense has been a train wreck.  Of course everyone's D seems to get well against our O line so you never know it might be a close game.  

I want it to be a blowout but something is telling me, based on our coaches, this game will be too close for comfort and M. Willis gets no playing time.  GOD I hope i am wrong!

13 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:
19 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

try and switch something up offensively.   I'm interested to hear what others think. Its a very interesting situation.

Malzahn? :roflol:

I say this because Willis is the type of QB Malzahn prefers to play. A true read option QB that is a real running threat.

19 hours ago, The Freak said:

One, at least, hopes.

5 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I say this because Willis is the type of QB Malzahn prefers to play. A true read option QB that is a real running threat.

Just joking about malzahn....not necessarily about what you said.

Hypothetically let's say that Stidham gets an unsportsmanlike penalty called for losing his cool after a late hit and then a little later he gets a second unsportsmanlike penalty for taunting the defense after a score. He gets ejected and then Malzahn has to play Willis. That's about as likely as the Missouri game being a blowout. I have a sinking feeling and I hope I'm wrong that Malzahn  won't lift the redshirt until he is forced to. :dunno:

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Hypothetically let's say that Stidham gets an unsportsmanlike penalty called for losing his cool after a late hit and then a little later he gets a second unsportsmanlike penalty for taunting the defense after a score. He gets ejected and then Malzahn has to play Willis. That's about as likely as the Missouri game being a blowout. I have a sinking feeling and I hope I'm wrong that Malzahn  won't lift the redshirt until he is forced to. :dunno:

Probably not even then. I believe the he red-shirts no matter what, not that this makes any sense.

Archived