Hot Seat Coaches

AU64

1 hour ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Jay Jacobs dressed up as Joe Aleva for Halloween.  

Shoot this was way out of JJ's league....that kind of a contract for a guy who had never even won anything....and don't forget the Chavis fiasco.  but neither one can match Foley and what it cost UF to get McEntire...payed buyouts on both ends of the deal plus a big salary and buyout for McEntire....something approaching the US national debt when it was all added up.   When spending someone else's money some folks are less than prudent.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1, Butch Jones at Tenn is gone, The end.

#2 Odum at Missouri. Eeeeeyeewww.

Malzahn .... Nope.

I am starting to change my mind and go completely against what I have said for many years regarding letting a coach stay to finish the season. I read a sad report about an alumni event Butch Jones had this week. It made me realize that you may as well cut bait for the sake of the coach and the program. Just don't hire the asst coach at the end of the year (LSU). 

Buyout clauses have changed the playing field...and usually, they are based upon the fear of "what if."  "What if" sets the world in motion these days.  And it's pathetic.  

That is why, for comic relief, it helps to revisit the world of Key and Peele.   

On 10/1/2017 at 10:54 AM, OnthePlains said:

How does that happen? Who the heck at lsu thought this was a good idea? 12 mil? 

Now, you know how that happened!!! SOMEONE struck a sweet deal.   https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8fa6577f-f151-4094-9feb-c52383df2b1f

On Sunday, October 01, 2017 at 10:54 AM, OnthePlains said:

How does that happen? Who the heck at lsu thought this was a good idea? 12 mil? 

Alleva got caught with his pants down.  He shows his hand, had no back up, and wanted to have a press conference before Texas announced to make it appear Orgeron was his first choice all along. Coach O and his agent ate that up and played him for the buyout. 

7 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Alleva got caught with his pants down.  He shows his hand, had no back up, and wanted to have a press conference before Texas announced to make it appear Orgeron was his first choice all along. Coach O and his agent ate that up and played him for the buyout. 

These agents are professional negotiators and in terms of skill and knowledge they are light years ahead of almost every AD when negotiating a contract.   Further, it's usually a seller's market and ADs are just afraid not to come away with a deal. 

It's not just JJ or JA....most ADs are ripe for the picking these days and the number of really bad deals out there is unbelievable.  Mostly we don't know about them unless the time comes for a coach and school to part ways and someone goes public with the numbers.

Rick Pitino looks totally dirty and yet has a chance to save his $44M with Louisville despite being fired for cause.  .

How hot is Bielema's seat today, after the blowout against South Carolina. With his buyout being $15.4m can a program like Arky afford to fire him?

24 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

How hot is Bielema's seat today, after the blowout against South Carolina. With his buyout being $15.4m can a program like Arky afford to fire him?

I thought he was safe until today. This might do it.  

^I don’t care that we play LSU week before (they play the Turds). Arky is easily the second easiest game remaining for us.

I've been saying this for a little while now. Even if Malzahn only has an average season (8-4 or 9-3), it's a VERY BAD year to be in the coaching market. There currently doesn't appear to be any great up and coming candidates and the competition to hire any remotely decent possibility is going to be fierce. After seeing the offensive progression and our defensive potential, I'm not sure there would be another candidate out there better than Gus this year. And y'all can stop with the Petrino mess. He got demolished by the same team we lost to by 8, however he had a returning Heisman winning qb at home and we had the equivalent of a RS freshman on the road. And now he just lost to NC St. He is now and always has been very overrated. 

9 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Looking at their message boards, I think the fan base is resolved to the idea of having to wait.  His buyout is currently the highest in the SEC, that for a coach who has gone 27-29 overall and 10-24 in conference.  Ouch.

3 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Looking at their message boards, I think the fan base is resolved to the idea of having to wait.  His buyout is currently the highest in the SEC, that for a coach who has gone 27-29 overall and 10-24 in conference.  Ouch.

Laugh at my post but have no input?  I wanted Gus gone last year. This year won't be a good time to be in the coaching search. Petrino fared worse than we did with a Heisman winner. Where do you disagree?

56 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

I've been saying this for a little while now. Even if Malzahn only has an average season (8-4 or 9-3), it's a VERY BAD year to be in the coaching market. There currently doesn't appear to be any great up and coming candidates and the competition to hire any remotely decent possibility is going to be fierce. After seeing the offensive progression and our defensive potential, I'm not sure there would be another candidate out there better than Gus this year. And y'all can stop with the Petrino mess. He got demolished by the same team we lost to by 8, however he had a returning Heisman winning qb at home and we had the equivalent of a RS freshman on the road. And now he just lost to NC St. He is now and always has been very overrated. 

I see what you are saying about changing coaches but here is where I would disagree with the "who would we get thats any better" this year argument.  First, someone says this every time there is a coaching change and often times a team does end up with a better coach.  Second, in Auburn's case we are never going to attract a Saban or a Meyer or any really proven winner, so any time we make a coaching change we are rolling the dice.  Sure its scary not knowing whats out there or how good some up and coming hot shot might be as a head coach in the SEC.  I mean Butch Jones seemed like a sure thing with a proven track record at smaller schools and thats just not working out for UT.  On the other hand all of these good coaches had to start somewhere.  Maybe Venables is the next big thing, maybe its Fleck.  Who knows?  But not making a change because you don't know doesn't make any sense.  We DO know what we have NOW.  It appears we have an 8 win per season coach who will have a hard time competing with Saban and Smart on a consistent basis.  If we end up with 4 or 5 losses AGAIN, and have lost 8 straight to the 2 teams that matter most I just can't see holding on to that guy for another year.  By the way I completely agree on Petrino.  I have never ever understood the fascination some on this board have with that guy.  He has never won ANYTHING as a head coach.  Big time overrated. 

So Plains...guess we just keep hiring and firing hope to find someone who can beat UGa and bama?  Tubs and Chiz and now Gus....we are looking like UT except we've got lucky I guess....had a few brief flashes from the replacements...but then not enough to keep people satisfied. 

I'm not sure when it got decided that 8 or 9 wins per season was not good enough but that seems to be accepted by lots of vocal folks.and likely that will prevail.  But, it sure would be nice if those folks would wait until the end of the season to pursue that goal rather than use every personnel decision or bad play call as justification to complain now..

I doubt any coach in the land could stand up under the play by play criticism that he's getting on this board.  I watched Michigan lose last night....and if folks want to see some BAD play calling and clock management by both coaches, that would be exhibit A.

3 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Our only hope is that he agrees to a reduced buyout knowing he hasn't got the job done and just wants to move on.

Him and Jeff Long's days are numbered.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I watched Michigan lose last night....and if folks want to see some BAD play calling and clock management by both coaches, that would be exhibit A.

Not even close.  Worst weather conditions I've seen played in since I sat in Legion field with a tornado bearing down.  Harbaugh did not call for five turnovers (much less for his starting QB to have 3 broken vertebrae) and Dantonio certainly didn't call for two incredibly stupid penalties in the final two minutes.  Pretty sure neither of those guys are in danger being overly criticized for the way they coached last night.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Not even close.  Worst weather conditions I've seen played in since I sat in Legion field with a tornado bearing down.  Harbaugh did not call for five turnovers (much less for his starting QB to have 3 broken vertebrae) and Dantonio certainly didn't call for two incredibly stupid penalties in the final two minutes.  Pretty sure neither of those guys are in danger being overly criticized for the way they coached last night.

wait...when we make 5 turnovers it's the coach's fault and when UM makes five it's player's fault?   Why didn't he have a couple back-up QBs......shoot I can think of a dozen questions posed by people on this board for everything they think is wrong with the AU program....and ask them of Harbaugh too.   As for rain, maybe you missed the West Virginia game at Auburn....but anyway, the rain / deluge was mostly in the second half and best I could tell on my HD TV...it was pretty much done by the last 10 minutes or so of the game.  Even in the first half, UM was on their home field and getting beaten by an inferior team.....sure not looking like #7.

But you are right, neither coach is in danger (let's see MSU was 3-9 last year and one conference win) ....because they don't have an irrational fan base that every AU coach has to contend with.  JMO

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

So Plains...guess we just keep hiring and firing hope to find someone who can beat UGa and bama?  Tubs and Chiz and now Gus....we are looking like UT except we've got lucky I guess....had a few brief flashes from the replacements...but then not enough to keep people satisfied. 

I'm not sure when it got decided that 8 or 9 wins per season was not good enough but that seems to be accepted by lots of vocal folks.and likely that will prevail.  But, it sure would be nice if those folks would wait until the end of the season to pursue that goal rather than use every personnel decision or bad play call as justification to complain now..

I doubt any coach in the land could stand up under the play by play criticism that he's getting on this board.  I watched Michigan lose last night....and if folks want to see some BAD play calling and clock management by both coaches, that would be exhibit A.

64 you and I have had some good discussions so I'm going to try and make my point very calmly.  No of course I don't want to hire and fire but thats not what Auburn has done.  Since coach Dye left we have only had 4 coaches over a nearly 30 year span, thats not bad.  I think bama has had like 8 since bear died.  I didn't decide that 8 or 9 wins was the magic number but it seems to me if we want our program to be on par with the higher teams in the land then 8 wins seasons should be considered down years.  If thats not what we want then fine we are the Iowa of the SEC.  If you like that then more power to you.  I grew up in the heyday of Coach Dye and experienced being a top 10 team more years than not and beating bama and uga at least as much as they beat us.  No way Coach Dye would accept consistently being 8-4 or worse and not beating bama or uga regularly.  No reason with the right guy in place and the PTB getting out of the way that someone couldn't do at AU what Dabo is doing at Clemson. 

Some of you are also lumping me in with the "fire Gus now" crowd and I have said repeatedly I am not on that bandwagon.  I have also said repeatedly we should wait and see how this season plays out.  But at the end of this season we will have a FIVE year sample on Gus.  If and its a big if but IF we end up losing 4 or more games and to both our rivals again, what makes anyone think that after 4 straight years of that we can expect any more next year? Or the next?  8 wins might make you happy but the folks donating money to the AD probably want more for their money.  Next year we get uga and bama on the road again.  We lose some key O linemen and who knows how good that team will be?  Gus has had his chance to do something special at AU and he has the rest of this season to show he is capable.  All I want is for AU to be more than just the average program with brief flashes of brilliance that it is right now.  

And lastly, I don't understand the theory that fans shouldn't be able to come on a message board and complain about coaches?  Coaches are hired guns nowadays.  Their loyalty is to the paycheck not the school.  You think Saban really gives two sh$$@ about bama fans?  If another school thought Gus was worth 3 mil more than we pay him you think Gus would stay loyal to Auburn?  The days of Bear and Dye and Dooley and Bowden are over.  Very few coaches will stay with a school forever now.  So while I am critical of coaches I always always always want what is best for Auburn University.  Athletically and Academically.  I will always be loyal to the school, not the coaches.  Recent events in softball and basketball should have taught us that lesson. 

I fully respect your opinion because you make your point without insults.  I hope we can continue to have civil discussions. WDE. 

12 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

64 you and I have had some good discussions so I'm going to try and make my point very calmly.  No of course I don't want to hire and fire but thats not what Auburn has done.  Since coach Dye left we have only had 4 coaches over a nearly 30 year span, thats not bad.  I think bama has had like 8 since bear died.  I didn't decide that 8 or 9 wins was the magic number but it seems to me if we want our program to be on par with the higher teams in the land then 8 wins seasons should be considered down years.  If thats not what we want then fine we are the Iowa of the SEC.  If you like that then more power to you.  I grew up in the heyday of Coach Dye and experienced being a top 10 team more years than not and beating bama and uga at least as much as they beat us.  No way Coach Dye would accept consistently being 8-4 or worse and not beating bama or uga regularly.  No reason with the right guy in place and the PTB getting out of the way that someone couldn't do at AU what Dabo is doing at Clemson. 

Some of you are also lumping me in with the "fire Gus now" crowd and I have said repeatedly I am not on that bandwagon.  I have also said repeatedly we should wait and see how this season plays out.  But at the end of this season we will have a FIVE year sample on Gus.  If and its a big if but IF we end up losing 4 or more games and to both our rivals again, what makes anyone think that after 4 straight years of that we can expect any more next year? Or the next?  8 wins might make you happy but the folks donating money to the AD probably want more for their money.  Next year we get uga and bama on the road again.  We lose some key O linemen and who knows how good that team will be?  Gus has had his chance to do something special at AU and he has the rest of this season to show he is capable.  All I want is for AU to be more than just the average program with brief flashes of brilliance that it is right now.  

And lastly, I don't understand the theory that fans shouldn't be able to come on a message board and complain about coaches?  Coaches are hired guns nowadays.  Their loyalty is to the paycheck not the school.  You think Saban really gives two sh$$@ about bama fans?  If another school thought Gus was worth 3 mil more than we pay him you think Gus would stay loyal to Auburn?  The days of Bear and Dye and Dooley and Bowden are over.  Very few coaches will stay with a school forever now.  So while I am critical of coaches I always always always want what is best for Auburn University.  Athletically and Academically.  I will always be loyal to the school, not the coaches.  Recent events in softball and basketball should have taught us that lesson. 

I fully respect your opinion because you make your point without insults.  I hope we can continue to have civil discussions. WDE. 

Very well stated. I seriously doubt you'll catch any flack for it. I hope you'll let that sink in and I mean that with all respect. Again, well done and WDE!!!

Plains...just looking for some objectivity about our coaches.   Sure folks have a right to critique and criticize but the way we do it is like reading a book and critiquing it page by page...or paragraph by paragraph if you don't like the way the story is progressing or the way the plot turns at some crucial moment..   

I agree that coaches are hired guns and I don't fall in love with any of them but I hate to see them in a situation where in every game they are coaching for their jobs.    That's bothersome to me and I worry that under the pressure to win, they will do some stupid things that damage the university.  Strange that the one recent coach with an AU heritage was the guy to betray his school however.

And one last thought....the days of a coach staying forever are gone in Div I at least but it would be nice to have one long enough that we aren't turning the program over every 4 or 5 years.    Just looking around, there are very few schools with that kind of history that are enjoying much long term success.

David Housel wrote a pretty good piece recently about Shug Jordan.....and noted therein, as I have said a number of times.....Shug would never have made it past 1964 if he were being judged by today's standards.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Plains...just looking for some objectivity about our coaches.   Sure folks have a right to critique and criticize but the way we do it is like reading a book and critiquing it page by page...or paragraph by paragraph if you don't like the way the story is progressing or the way the plot turns at some crucial moment..   

I agree that coaches are hired guns and I don't fall in love with any of them but I hate to see them in a situation where in every game they are coaching for their jobs.    That's bothersome to me and I worry that under the pressure to win, they will do some stupid things that damage the university.  Strange that the one recent coach with an AU heritage was the guy to betray his school however.

And one last thought....the days of a coach staying forever are gone in Div I at least but it would be nice to have one long enough that we aren't turning the program over every 4 or 5 years.    Just looking around, there are very few schools with that kind of history that are enjoying much long term success.

David Housel wrote a pretty good piece recently about Shug Jordan.....and noted therein, as I have said a number of times.....Shug would never have made it past 1964 if he were being judged by today's standards.

I agree, and I stated in another post somewhere that maybe for me personally my frustration is not with Gus specifically so much as with the Auburn program in general.  For over 30 years I have followed this program and I have always heard that there are influences in the AD that keep our program from reaching a point like where Clemson has gotten to recently.  With Auburn's history, alumni and fan support, facilities, etc. there is no reason this program should have gone since 88-89 without back to back 10 plus win seasons.  At some point Auburn will have to decide what it wants to be in football.  I would also say I don't want to turnover every 4 or 5 years either but usually in college football you kinda know what you have after that amount of time.  I keep using Iowa as an example because Ferentz has been there for like 15 years and he is what he is.  A lot of average or below seasons sprinkled with a nice 10 or 11 win season mixed in.  In all that time he has 2 Big Ten titles and they were both early on in his career.  Iowa seems happy with that and thats fine.  If we are honest with ourselves outside of 2 exceptional seasons that required a once in a lifetime QB in one and a couple of miracle plays in another our program has been average at best since a decent run by Tubs in the mid 00's.  I just want more than that. 

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

All due respect AU64, but Gus put himself in a situation where he is coaching for his job.  Over the last 2-3 yrs the fans, PTB, big money Boosters, and quite obviously the Administration have grown tired of the what they've seen from the coaching staff .

Poor player development, poor roster management, inept play calling, questionable player/recruit evaluation, head scratching in-game decisions, unwillingness to adjust/evolve schemes, etc., etc,. etc........When folks in high places at AU have to dress down the HC and literally pull the clip board out of his hand to force their agenda, then things are not good.

But, winning cures everything and CGM has a huge opportunity in front of him.  Get it done in Baton Rouge ~  WDE!

1 hour ago, keesler said:

All due respect AU64, but Gus put himself in a situation where he is coaching for his job.  Over the last 2-3 yrs the fans, PTB, big money Boosters, and quite obviously the Administration have grown tired of the what they've seen from the coaching staff .

Poor player development, poor roster management, inept play calling, questionable player/recruit evaluation, head scratching in-game decisions, unwillingness to adjust/evolve schemes, etc., etc,. etc........When folks in high places at AU have to dress down the HC and literally pull the clip board out of his hand to force their agenda, then things are not good.

But, winning cures everything and CGM has a huge opportunity in front of him.  Get it done in Baton Rouge ~  WDE!

Great post. I think every one on here knows how I feel about Gus. Many things over the last few years have defied simple logic. Winning is the only cure for my disdain at this point. Gus has bought himself time with good recruiting over the last few years, but without results I'm afraid that it will begin to fall off. Kirby now being at GA is changing the recruiting game in one of our most important states. I think Gus should get another year, unless he loses to both GA, and Bama, and drops one of the next three road games along the way. I will however, be paying careful attention to our recruiting of the OL, RB, and DL positions. I am highly concerned with what our OL will look like next season.

Archived