My apologies - I set it on FIRE

corchjay

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree. The last couple years, there were cracks, but they could be explained away. There were mitigating circumstances that masked the deficiencies that I was seeing, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. This year, however, he has had no such "reasons".  Each and every struggle and failure this season squarely and solely sit on Gus' shoulders.

Exactly. I certainly thought we had turned the corner. Up 20-0. Then (1) first down in the second half?  

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I was riding on the bumper.  I really was hoping he would pull through...I was wrong.

Me too..

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

He is on the scene with a bottle of gorilla glue and a couple rolls of duck tape trying to salvage the bus.

Trying to plug the holes in the gas tank but didn’t have enough fingers I guess?

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Exactly. I certainly thought we had turned the corner. Up 20-0. Then (1) first down in the second half?  

There is no explaining it away. Gus choked this season away. From Clemson to LSU each and every struggle and failure is attributed to him, and him alone.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Let me know when to send you my address

Sure thing. Lol

Did 10 gallons of pale ale before the game today. Wish I would have just continued on with what I was doing. 

21 minutes ago, corchjay said:

And to add to that this was the year.  Other then the Clemson road game this is the good year schedule.  New OC with different wrinkles.  Experienced offensive line.  Great FG kicker.  Solid if not elite defense.  

Now we sit here 0-2 in real games.  3 more to go.  aTm UGA bammer

This should not have been a real game.

If there is any saving grace to the way this game was lost, let’s hope the final nail was hammered in the coffin and AU will get rid of our incompetent head coach.  What a clown. 

50 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

You serious Clark?  That is exactly what we did when we hired Gus. Exactly what we did

No it is not. What we did was hire Gus because he was an assistant coach here, and won a national title with Cam Newton. No one even considered what his offense looked like against the better competition in the SEC prior to Cam, or after him. If that search committee constituted football experts, then we need to change experts. That's for sure.

2 minutes ago, Gulf Breeze Tiger said:

Why not Chip Kelly

Because he’s a tool that would be a terrible fit anywhere in the SEC, IMO. Other  than that he’d be a great hire, lol

4 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

No it is not. What we did was hire Gus because he was an assistant coach here, and won a national title with Cam Newton. No one even considered what his offense looked like against the better competition in the SEC prior to Cam, or after him. If that search committee constituted football experts, then we need to change experts. That's for sure.

"The search committee was comprised of Jacobs, Auburn Heisman Trophy winners Pat Sullivan and Bo Jackson and former Tigers player Mac Crawford.

Jackson said he was confident that "we got the right man."

"We talked to a lot of talented coaches, a lot of coaches that are going to be Division I coaches other places, and they're all stars in their own right," said Jackson, the 1985 Heisman winner. "Gus shined a little bit brighter than those guys in the interview process."

3 of these 4 guys know a TON about football. Apparently they made a bad choice. Clearly they shouldnt be involved in the next search...but they are exactly what you just said we should have to find a coach. It doesn't work as easy as it sounds. What we really need is someone capable of convincing a great coach to actually come

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

Can't agree more. His offense was mediocre against power 5 teams w winning records in 2009 and 2011.  He found lightening in a bottle in 2010 and 2013. His offense against power 5 teams w a winning record w Marshall in 2014 was 5-5 I believe. 

This offense is terribly predictable. I'd give up 15 yds in 1st down, blitz everyone into the "A" gap on the ensuing 1st down, and take my chance on the 2nd and long and ensuing 3rd down. I'd really only have to defend two plays for 9 or 10 yds. 

We have a ton of talent, we just need someone to properly coach them up. WDE. 

4 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

"The search committee was comprised of Jacobs, Auburn Heisman Trophy winners Pat Sullivan and Bo Jackson and former Tigers player Mac Crawford.

"We talked to a lot of talented coaches, a lot of coaches that are going to be Division I coaches other places, and they're all stars in their own right," said Jackson, the 1985 Heisman winner. "Gus shined a little bit brighter than those guys in the interview process."

3 of these 4 guys know a TON about football. Apparently they made a bad choice. Clearly they shouldnt be involved in the next search...but they are exactly what you just said we should have to find a coach. It doesn't work as easy as it sounds. What we really need is someone capable of convincing a great coach to actually come

I'm pretty sure they were just the "search committee " to take the heat off of JJ since Gus was obviously going to be a letdown.

43 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Oh no.  Did I torch Tim and @Mikey.  I’m pretty sure @AU64 saved the rear emergency exit door in the back but that would be all of us.  Maybe Mikey and Tim got out there

Some body better check on austudent23, or what ever his name is. He may still be trying to figure out how we will be undefeated headed in to the Iron Bowl. I understand he is close to the team, and sees all the talent. The one factor he didn't figure in to the equation is Gus.

12 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Some body better check on austudent23, or what ever his name is. He may still be trying to figure out how we will be undefeated headed in to the Iron Bowl. I understand he is close to the team, and sees all the talent. The one factor he didn't figure in to the equation is Gus.

Trust me on this 23 will be just fine.  

7 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Get rid of Malzahn and let Stidham go with him.

Stidham is not the problem.  When you have zero check downs if you get pressure it’s hard to be accurate.  Wasn’t his best game no but it was a total collapse all around.

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

Too many former AU players. Get a real search committee without any agendas and are able to be objective

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Stidham is not the problem.  When you have zero check downs if you get pressure it’s hard to be accurate.  Wasn’t his best game no but it was a total collapse all around.

The offensive line is horrendous but even when he had time in the pocket, he was throwing balls up for grabs or missing his target badly.. 2 completions in the second half? GTHO! Stidham can't handle being pressured.  Once he has to scamble in the pocket, he's done for.

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

They all knew about playing football.  Only one of them knew about coaching football, and he was not exactly great at it.  The search committee was formed to sell whatever hire was made to the Auburn fanbase.  If Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan gave their seal of approval, it would not be questioned seriously.

I love Bo Jackson, and he deserves every bit of love that the Auburn faithful give him.  That said, he has no place or relevance in coaching hire decisions.

Archived