Coordinators Silence

auburnphan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Southwest said:

I still put some blame on the D,20 point lead should be more than enough for a win against that lsu offense(If you have an elite D). 23-7 or even 23-10 could of easily been the outcome also.

I agree overall the D has been solid but they allowed  a lot of 3rd and longs to become 1st downs.  I know you cant stop them all but there were a lot.  Some of them longer than 3rd and 15.  Couple of years ago I referred to them as the 3rd and automatic crew.  I made the comment they are back as I watched the game.

Just my observation but the issue of the OP is a non-issue.  Coordinators are hidden people at most schools and often fans don't even know who they are.  AU has been more generous putting them in front of reporters than any of the other schools that I follow.  Can't recall a bama Coordinator answering questions about play calling or strategy bu maybe it happens but the only voice that counts is the HC.  

IMO,  this issue about who is calling plays at AU is  self-induced drama that has been enhanced by Gus's evasive answers to the questions.    He should take responsibility for the game plan and not have people trying to decide who called any particular play.  Do people wonder whether Petrino calls his own plays...or McElwain or Leach... or any other coach with an offensive background ?  Does anyone even care ?....either the offense is successful or it's not...and a waste of time trying to pin blame.....or credit.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just my observation but the issue of the OP is a non-issue.  Coordinators are hidden people at most schools and often fans don't even know who they are.  AU has been more generous putting them in front of reporters than any of the other schools that I follow.  Can't recall a bama Coordinator answering questions about play calling or strategy bu maybe it happens but the only voice that counts is the HC.  

IMO,  this issue about who is calling plays at AU is  self-induced drama that has been enhanced by Gus's evasive answers to the questions.    He should take responsibility for the game plan and not have people trying to decide who called any particular play.  Do people wonder whether Petrino calls his own plays...or McElwain or Leach... or any other coach with an offensive background ?  Does anyone even care ?....either the offense is successful or it's not...and a waste of time trying to pin blame.....or credit.

Amen to that 64

12 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Well. I am not going to blame the Defense for yesterday. 10 of the 13 pts LSU scored in the second half had nothing to do with the D. They really only gave up 3 pts in second half. 

I expected a good offense to seize the momentum back in the second half, like all good offenses do, on the road. 

I still want to know who actually called all those pass plays in the second half. And who decided to only throw on 1st down AFTER we lost the lead.

Putting are defensive unit in a bad place fro a whole half because GMs offense can't do nothing to give D a breather. No there should be no blame on D

He was a goofy coordinator. He needs some one to guide him.  His wife used to walk him from the stadium as he would be mumbling about a 3rd down or some play that should have worked.  

I liked Gus and talked to him after several games in 2010 and 2011.

I really think he can’t chew gum and coach at the same time. He is that single focused.

I never saw any leadership traits in him.  Nice guy but so focused on specific play details.  Position Coach detail.

Jay Jacobs and Yellowwood dumber than Houston Nutt.  Houston fired Gus as OC in SEC.  I’m not a Nutt fan but ...... 

8 hours ago, AURocketman said:

He was a goofy coordinator. 

Jay Jacobs and Yellowwood dumber than Houston Nutt.  Houston fired Gus as OC in SEC.  I’m not a Nutt fan but ...... 

Wow. Dang good point.  I forget about that

10 hours ago, Tiger4life25 said:

Putting are defensive unit in a bad place fro a whole half because GMs offense can't do nothing to give D a breather. No there should be no blame on D

In 90 degree heat no less. Read somewhere that LSU bench was in the shade the second half while auburn in the sun. Can you imagine how tired our defense was with this aspect added in? I was one of those wait and see people. Not anymore. Could it be worse if ties were cut before the next game?  Also wondering if the Borges brain is being used at all?? I’m rambling now.....

4 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

In 90 degree heat no less. Read somewhere that LSU bench was in the shade the second half while auburn in the sun. Can you imagine how tired our defense was with this aspect added in? 

Hmm.  Knowing that, maybe we should have made scoring more points a priority knowing the sun was going to be out all day.  Hold on, wait -   football?  Aren't we supposed to score as many as possible in case our opponent tries to score as many as possible????  

Our coach said, "we're in good shape, up by 9"  at half.   Gonna lose a lot of big games with that mentality.   Oh crap, we have lost a lot big games since 2012.  I keep trying to forget that.

• 3 weeks later...

I sure am hoping all the coordinators and players put in as much effort the next 4 games as they did last week...as they all seemed to be enjoying themselves while winning. Also hoping that a lot of the above about the coordinators may be more imagination than a reality. JMO

Archived