Stidham not allowed to audible

aubiefifty

If your are running the ball well and the defense counters by bringing up a safety, that is exactly what you want. When you have a good throwing QB like Stidham you counter by sneaking a receiver into the vacated zone right behind him and say thank you. 

Oh wait that would mean we could audible and have an intermediate route somewhere in our playbook. Wait I know, how about a TE seam route to get behind the safety or maybe even a delayed curl behind the safety. 

No audibles, no specific passes to counter a safety playing too close to the box ? This is really irritating.   

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone really surprised by this? Gus offense does not have something as basic as a hot route, why would it have audibles? Just this year, year 5 as a hc, they installed the ability to change protections at the line. Gus is a joke.

11 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

In the first round of the 1980 state playoffs we ran "check with me at the line" for the entire second half.  Danny Salchert called every play for the last two quarters.  For a Buddy Anderson coached team.  Oh yeah, won a state championship that year....

Al Bundy once scored 4 touchdowns in a single game for Polk High School. :)

10 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

I would love to see Stidham just rebel and audible as a big eff you to Gus. But he's too respectful and a much better person than I am to do that, lol.

I wonder if there is even a line of communication to the rest of the team to change a Gus play?  The whole team would be in shock if he tried to audible.  

41 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I wonder if there is even a line of communication to the rest of the team to change a Gus play?  The whole team would be in shock if he tried to audible.  

It's done from the sideline.  Because they know better from over there.  

12 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I don't know what the coaches are telling these guys on the recruiting trail but right niw Stidham, Kyle Davis, Nate Craig-Myers etc. must feel like they were sold a bill of goods.

I believe there is a lawsuit coming whereby a highly recruited player sues a coach for breach of contract.  Gus should be the first defendant.  

12 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Not only have we missed some huge opportunities but missed out on some huge play makers, in particular, quarterbacks.

I'm convinced that our read option, which only seemed to exist when Marshall was here, was never actually a read but a predetermined call.  I'd be willing to bet the pass to Coates in the Iron Bowl that caught everybody by surprise was exactly what your talking about.  That play has not been seen since...Nick Marshall doing what Nick Marshall was capable of and Gus too stupid to realize.

Image result for nick marshall pass to sammie coates alabama touchdown

Interesting that Stidham and Kerryon have both quoted the Gus mantra of just not executing while deferring on play-calling and the audibles issue, in a way that follows orders yet adds additional insight into Malzahn's idiocy.

I'm furious at play-calling, but I'm not getting on Gus about Stidham being allowed to audible.  Very few, if any, college QBs are trusted enough to audible into the right play at the line.  It's not just a Gus thing.  Look at Bama.   Hurts doesn't have audible power either.

I posted a thread about this weeks ago and was told nfl defenses are more complex than colleges which may be true but doesn’t change the fact that the best teams allow their QB to audible.  Malzahn is an ego maniac so of course he won’t let Stidham audible. No one not even Tom Brady or Peyton Manning know as much as the Great Gusdini.  

14 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I don't know what the coaches are telling these guys on the recruiting trail but right niw Stidham, Kyle Davis, Nate Craig-Myers etc. must feel like they were sold a bill of goods.

Exactly and that’s what has me angrier than anything else. He is ruining the hopefulness of coming to play for Auburn. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm furious at play-calling, but I'm not getting on Gus about Stidham being allowed to audible.  Very few, if any, college QBs are trusted enough to audible into the right play at the line.  It's not just a Gus thing.  Look at Bama.   Hurts doesn't have audible power either.

It's a mistake.  You get 3 timeouts per half.  Sometimes a quarterback is going to know the play call was destined to fail and I need to make a change at the line of scrimmage.Sometimes a quarterback is going to know the play call was destined to fail and I need to make a change at the line of scrimmage.

The team is better when a QB can audible bc it should show that a QB can read defenses and know where to go with the ball rather than react after the snap.  It would also give any QB a better chance at the pros.  Does the Great Gusdini think like this?  Absolutely not

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I'm convinced that our read option, which only seemed to exist when Marshall was here, was never actually a read but a predetermined call.  I'd be willing to bet the pass to Coates in the Iron Bowl that caught everybody by surprise was exactly what your talking about.  That play has not been seen since...Nick Marshall doing what Nick Marshall was capable of and Gus too stupid to realize.

Image result for nick marshall pass to sammie coates alabama touchdown

Gus admitted Marshall kept looking to the sideline the entire drive wanting to run that play. After 6 consecutive runs up the middle, Gus finally caved. 

24 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Gus admitted Marshall kept looking to the sideline the entire drive wanting to run that play. After 6 consecutive runs up the middle, Gus finally caved. 

It is the single most hated play that Saban has ever seen.  Went nuts about how it is impossible to defend.  And so we mothball it.

41 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It is the single most hated play that Saban has ever seen.  Went nuts about how it is impossible to defend.  And so we mothball it.

Not many QBs have 4.4 speed to get outside of a bammer DE/LB and cause the Safety to bite. 

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Not many QBs have 4.4 speed to get outside of a bammer DE/LB and cause the Safety to bite. 

And Gus will always say he hasn't won a championship without a QB like Marshall or Newton....ergo, he won't win one until he has a Heisman winner or a QB with 4.4 speed who can throw.   He restricts players way too much.

17 minutes ago, Beaker said:

And Gus will always say he hasn't won a championship without a QB like Marshall or Newton....ergo, he won't win one until he has a Heisman winner or a QB with 4.4 speed who can throw.   He restricts players way too much.

+1 he restricts them, refuses to evolve a scheme to utilize their strengths, and his plan for success (if he even has one) puts way too much emphasis on the QB position. 

5 hours ago, WDE0007 said:

I would love to see Stidham just rebel and audible as a big eff you to Gus. But he's too respectful and a much better person than I am to do that, lol.

I was just thinking the same type of thing. Go Varsity Blues on Gus and pull a Moxon. Could only get better results in my opinion. You're right, he wouldn't and shouldn't but we can dream. 

4 hours ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

The team is better when a QB can audible bc it should show that a QB can read defenses and know where to go with the ball rather than react after the snap.  It would also give any QB a better chance at the pros.  Does the Great Gusdini think like this?  Absolutely not

The only thing Gus the Great thinks is he is the premier offensive mind in college football.

21 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

This is not news.  No Malzahn quarterback has ever changed or called a play at the line.  Ever.  And that's not something that is ever going to happen.

Cam did, but he did not have the genius' permission.  

16 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

If your are running the ball well and the defense counters by bringing up a safety, that is exactly what you want. When you have a good throwing QB like Stidham you counter by sneaking a receiver into the vacated zone right behind him and say thank you. 

Oh wait that would mean we could audible and have an intermediate route somewhere in our playbook. Wait I know, how about a TE seam route to get behind the safety or maybe even a delayed curl behind the safety. 

No audibles, no specific passes to counter a safety playing too close to the box ? This is really irritating.   

To make matters worse our buddy Dabo executed the short passing game beautifully against us this year and it was major factor in their win. Gus saw it play out right in front of him. A good coach would have swallowed his pride, have seen the benefit and used the same strategy against his future opponents. But instead of a good coach; we have a sttubborn, prideful, 1 trick pony of a coach. It's beyond all logic!!>:(

Archived