Bama vs Georgia

AU64

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Does anyone on this board think Auburn wins v/s UGA in the SEC Championship Game if KJ were 100% and we don't lose two of our best defenders in game?

There were alot of mistakes we needed to over come. Offensive line wasn't getting a push, missed kick by Carlson, some defensive errors. We would need to fix those as well. I do think if we score there and take momentum it would have given us energy to make it a closer game.

This win was a combination of things a blocked Punt taken away on a bad call, followed by  a face mask not called both were key turning points in the game. Give Saban credit for bringing in the Freshman QB who by the way hadn't had that much more PT than Malik.  Kirby and OC trying to protect a lead instead of continue with the offense they ran in the first half similar to Gus and our OC at LSU.  As for Saban using the Freshmen the OT he had no choice the RB he been getting PT all year yes Gus you can run more than 1 RB and the WR had been getting PT all year also. The older players were not producing so Saban had to try something else and it worked. Georgia has a very good D-Line but does not have the depth the Auburn D-Line has. With more depth and fresher D-Line Georgia could have taken advantage of the Freshman OT. 

Some credit to Saban is do but some of the choices he was gambling and if they had made a freshmen mistake and imploded Saban reputation is strong enough at bama that he would not have to worry about his job. Most coached don't have that cushion. Saban has earned it. Hurts to say nice things about Saban but like him or not he is a very good coach.

17 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

bama usually gets all the calls. For once the announcers actually mentioned it not that it made any difference. These were game turning type calls also.

45 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This win was a combination of things a blocked Punt taken away on a bad call

If I’m not mistaken the block punt wouldn’t have mattered anyway. The defender was obviously across the neutral zone and if the false start was correctly called, the illegal procedure would’ve resulted in a rekick.

Am I right @WarTiger?

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If I’m not mistaken the block punt wouldn’t have mattered anyway. The defender was obviously across the neutral zone and if the false start was correctly called, the illegal procedure would’ve resulted in a rekick.

Am I right @WarTiger?

You are correct but the officials didn't see the false start.  On the replay, it appeared the uga player did start before the snap but he was a yard off the ball.  He was not in the neutral zone at the snap. 

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

You are correct but the officials didn't see the false start.

That’s fine. I don’t think the refs intentionally missed the call.

It appeared to me the guy did jump into the neutral zone though.

41 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s fine. I don’t think the refs intentionally missed the call.

It appeared to me the guy did jump into the neutral zone though.

On the replay, we weren't sure if he was in the neutral zone or not. I'd need to look at it again. Camera angles can be funny, sometimes. 

Check it out, Jeff. Looks onside to me. 

Looks like the UGA plan to alternate backs did not go so well.....Chubb averaged about 1.4 yards per carry and Michel averaged 7.0 yards per carry ......and Chubb had several more carries. And unfortunately Chubb seemed to have the ball several times late in the game when 3 yards would have meant a lot...and mostly got stuffed.   Did not seem to find what little running room there was like Michel was able to do.  .

I guess the other thing that stood out was the number of dropped or mishandled passes by the dawg receivers.  Fromm deserved better help. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looks like the UGA plan to alternate backs did not go so well.....Chubb averaged about 1.4 yards per carry and Michel averaged 7.0 yards per carry ......and Chubb had several more carries. And unfortunately Chubb seemed to have the ball several times late in the game when 3 yards would have meant a lot...and mostly got stuffed.   Did not seem to find what little running room there was like Michel was able to do.  .

I guess the other thing that stood out was the number of dropped or mishandled passes by the dawg receivers.  Fromm deserved better help. 

I also think that Alabama did a really, really good job tackling last night. There were plenty of opportunities where it came down to one Alabama defender making a play to negate a 20+ yard run. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I also think that Alabama did a really, really good job tackling last night. There were plenty of opportunities where it came down to one Alabama defender making a play to negate a 20+ yard run. 

Yes they did....the dawgs were not so sharp.....bama has good backs but dawgs had a hard time getting them on the ground .....lots of yards after contact. 

If yall want to see who the goat was for UGA, watch a replay of the 4th quarter and watch #14 for UGA how lost he was on coverage and then he was the one who had the facemask penalty and I believe there was 1 more costly mistake he made that cost GA dearly.

He had coverage on Ridley when he caught his TD pass, and he also had coverage on Jones on the last play where he was about 15 yards behind.

If I was a Bama fan I would send him some chocolates and a nice thank you card.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yes they did....the dawgs were not so sharp.....bama has good backs but dawgs had a hard time getting them on the ground .....lots of yards after contact. 

Yes. Made a big difference. Those Georgia backs aren't easy to take down, either. 

18 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Kirby did not prepare for Tua. 

And how could he? New offensive coordinator. Freshman quarterback with virtually no film to study. One week to prepare. Not an excuse, necessarily, but I don't think there was that much to prepare for. 

Saban meddled tremendously with that offensive strategy - He made those half time changes - He had input on every  offensive decision and was involved in the play calling.  That was a coach with a Defense first philosophy calling the shots.

They won that game with massive contributions from TRUE FRESHMEN.  They let a bunch of green players take control from the QB/Center/RB/LT/2 WRs, and 8 on Defense.  Phenomenal player development in that program.  Those young players were thrown in the fire on the biggest stage of the sport and they took care of business.

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

And how could he? New offensive coordinator. Freshman quarterback with virtually no film to study. One week to prepare. Not an excuse, necessarily, but I don't think there was that much to prepare for. 

There was little to nothing to prepare for, no real film.  Saban also threw in a TFr RB and a couple of TFr WR's & Olinemen - it's hard to prepare for players you've rarely seen on the field.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

There was little to nothing to prepare for, no real film.  Saban also threw in a TFr RB and a couple of TFr WR's & Olinemen - it's hard to prepare for players you've rarely seen on the field.

That is the thing. True freshman QB, WR, and RBs making the difference. Insanity.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Kirby was not EXPECTING Tua to play. And I wasn't suggesting he should have had extensive knowledge. But maybe he should've had the thought in his head just in case.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is the thing. True freshman QB, WR, and RBs making the difference. Insanity.

Those TFr linemen (C & LT) executed well too.

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

Kirby was not EXPECTING Tua to play. And I wasn't suggesting he should have had extensive knowledge. But maybe he should've had the thought in his head just in case.

I'm sure he had the thought in his head. I had the thought in my head. But what is there to prepare for? Just playing devil's advocate here. I think most coaches would have prepared for the Alabama offense they've seen on tape all season. Offense with Tua was a more aggressive, pass heavy version.

Well, Kirby bold faced lied in his post game presser.  He said he and his coaches knew Bama had no choice but to play Tua, he said they expected Tua to play. 

He just had no idea they would also throw in a half a dozen other TFr to run that offense and bench their tried & true veteran RBs.  

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

The move to Najee Harris was the most intriguing to me. Guess he and Tua were typically practicing on the same offense together. More raport?

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The move to Najee Harris was the most intriguing to me. Guess he and Tua were typically practicing on the same offense together. More raport?

Absolutely!  Tua has "his" men go to battle with him - that was their second string offense out there and they were comfortable working with each other.  He had "his" Center & LT, he has "his" WRs & RB, those are players he's worked with for 9 months or more.

3 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Not an untypical situation where an unknown QB comes in and has success....and to Daboll's credit, they totally abandoned the Hurts game plan...never heard if he was injured but that was a pretty bold move to pull him....and looks like they spent that extended halftime break putting the new plan together.

Nonetheless, if the dawgs don't let Tua get away from them on what should be a sack about mid field .....might not have been the same game.  That sure had to give him confidence. 

Archived