Auburn - Best Class Outside of the Top 10

AU-24

Best class outside of the Top 10....that sounds suspiciously like a moral victory.

Don't get me wrong; I like our class. (Although we did have some holes that did not get filled (OT).)  I just don't think we need to resort to convoluted logic to justify that we got a good class.  There's enough uncertainty in recruiting ranking that our class may turn out to be one of the top classes when it's all said and done.  Likewise, some of UGAs 5-stars may not pan out.   I think recruiting rankings tell us something over the long haul (3-4 classes) about the talent level of a team, but one class, in and of itself, does not determine how successful a team will be going forward. 

40 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Best class outside of the Top 10....that sounds suspiciously like a moral victory.

Don't get me wrong; I like our class. (Although we did have some holes that did not get filled (OT).)  I just don't think we need to resort to convoluted logic to justify that we got a good class.  There's enough uncertainty in recruiting ranking that our class may turn out to be one of the top classes when it's all said and done.  Likewise, some of UGAs 5-stars may not pan out.   I think recruiting rankings tell us something over the long haul (3-4 classes) about the talent level of a team, but one class, in and of itself, does not determine how successful a team will be going forward. 

This . What a stupid article . 

Wouldn't logic dictate the best class outside of the top ten would be........

#11?

Anyhoooo... I'm going to start using that logic moving forward.

I'm the skinniest fat guy there is.

:rimshot:

I'm the best looking ugly guy there is.

I'm the smartest dumbass there is.

I like it!!!

Anywhere in the top 15 means you're in good shape IMO (minus the missing on certain needs)

Recruiting rankings are sketchy as it is, so as long as you're in the same ballpark as the top ranked teams and have a good staff you can get big time results with Top ~15 recruiting classes IMO

Happy with the class for sure

However, like others have said, it just could have been so much more with a few more pickups we missed on

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Happy with the class for sure

However, like others have said, it just could have been so much more with a few more pickups we missed on

That could be said for every class!

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

If your not first your last!!

- Reese Bobby

Ftfy

One week removed from signing day and Auburn fans are still caught up with our recruiting ranking as if it means anything. Notre Dame had a higher ranking and signed fewer stars. Some kids have their ratings adjusted to reflect who they signed with/committed to.

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/rival-views-most-impressive-class-outside-the-top-10-

Alabama gets all the attention in state and Georgia is the darling of the recruiting world, but this is the third-ranked class in the SEC, and a very good and deep one at that.

This is weak.

wde

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 11:46 AM, Tiger said:

Anywhere in the top 15 means you're in good shape IMO (minus the missing on certain needs)

Recruiting rankings are sketchy as it is, so as long as you're in the same ballpark as the top ranked teams and have a good staff you can get big time results with Top ~15 recruiting classes IMO

Unfortunately the game has evolved. You won't consistently win with top 15 classes. You may catch lightning in a bottle a few years  but you won't consistently be a top 10 team if you don't consistently sign top 10 talent. There is a HUGE talent gap from the top 3 to say 9 or 10. 

I'm not at all saying I agree with this article, but there is a reason Alabama has been on top of the football landscape. They have signed the best talent year in and year out. Now, yes, they can get away with some things we can't... Some blatantly... how they have acquired the top talent is an entirely different story/issue, but the fact remains they stay on top because they sign the best talent. 

Any team that wants to consistently be the best, must sign the best talent.  Top 15 classes are great, but you will always have teams that just out talent you any given year.

That being said, I hate Bama. I can't stand how they can get away with anything and everything. But they stay on the top because they sign top 5 talent every year. No way their current run happens if they average signing the 15th ranked class over almost the entire last decade. 

15 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Unfortunately the game has evolved. You won't consistently win with top 15 classes. You may catch lightning in a bottle a few years  but you won't consistently be a top 10 team if you don't consistently sign top 10 talent. There is a HUGE talent gap from the top 3 to say 9 or 10. 

I'm not at all saying I agree with this article, but there is a reason Alabama has been on top of the football landscape. They have signed the best talent year in and year out. Now, yes, they can get away with some things we can't... Some blatantly... how they have acquired the top talent is an entirely different story/issue, but the fact remains they stay on top because they sign the best talent. 

Any team that wants to consistently be the best, must sign the best talent.  Top 15 classes are great, but you will always have teams that just out talent you any given year.

That being said, I hate Bama. I can't stand how they can get away with anything and everything. But they stay on the top because they sign top 5 talent every year. No way their current run happens if they average signing the 15th ranked class over almost the entire last decade. 

What my point was that nobody really knows how good these kids are going to be, so if you're getting inside the top 15 of recruiting rankings you are in the ballpark of being able to position yourself to play for the playoffs with the talent you're bringing in. Maybe that has changed to top 10 classes rather than top 15 lately due to Bama's dominance in recruiting, but IMO we don't need to finish in the top 2 or 3 nationally every year. We have had all top 10 classes under Gus (minus this year) and the roster he has built over the course of 4 years was absolutely good enough to make the playoffs this year.

This class is right on the edge of 10 and while we whiffed on OL we stocked up on skill positions, so until we see who's a bust and who outperforms their ranking I think we have positioned ourselves pretty nicely. Maybe I'm being too optimistic though :dunno:

19 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

How do you figure this? A 'huge' talent drop in six spots on a subjective rating system. Is it two players on the number 3 team having an extra star next to their name. Or having a couple higher numbers next to a decimal?

Archived