Practice stock report after week 1

WFE12

Auburn football spring practice stock report: Depth chart update after Week 1

image.png

Justin Ferguson

AUBURN, Ala. — The first week of Auburn football spring practice is in the books, with the Tigers hitting the field for their three on-field workouts of what could be a big 2018 season.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn wants a solid two-deep depth chart in place by the end of camp, and he’s well on his way at plenty of positions.

While a lot of the current depth chart projection has stayed the same, several newcomers and additions to positions of need are turning heads early. It’s apparent that Auburn isn’t afraid to turn early enrollees and redshirt freshmen loose this spring.

With one week down, here is the latest SEC Country projection of Auburn football’s 2018 depth chart — featuring the players currently on campus, of course. This piece also highlights 10 different players who created the most buzz for themselves in Week 1.

PRACTICE OBSERVATIONS: Position change, inactive starter, DB injury on Day 3

Quarterback

• Jarrett Stidham
  • Malik Willis
  • Joey Gatewood
Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Asa Martin-JaTarvious Whitlow
Auburn RBs Asa Martin and JaTarvious Whitlow (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Running back

• Kam Martin
  • Devan Barrett
  • JaTarvious Whitlow or Asa Martin ↑
  • Malik Miller

Once again, Whitlow has been a popular name among teammates after practices. Chandler Cox described him as a mix between Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway, and Mike Horton raved about his toughness in running through tackles. The redshirt freshman is becoming a more vocal player in practice and has a shot at becoming a key running back in 2018.

Martin wasted no time in getting on the field early when he took a pace drill rep with the first-team offense on the first day of camp. Gus Malzahn liked his offseason work and has been a big fan of his all-around skill set, particularly in the area of pass protection. Most early enrollees don’t have that ability right out of the box. Kam Martin and Devan Barrett are the top two names, but these freshmen are on the rise.

H-back

• Chandler Cox
  • Spencer Nigh
  • John Samuel Shenker

Wide receiver – X/split end

• Darius Slayton
  • Nate Craig-Myers
  • Marquis McClain

Wide receiver – Y/big slot

• Nate Craig-Myers
  • Marquis McClain
  • Sal Cannella
Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Shedrick Jackson
Auburn WR Shedrick Jackson (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Wide receiver – Z/flanker

• Eli Stove
  • Shedrick Jackson ↑
  • Noah Igbinoghene

Jackson’s “rise” up the depth chart has a lot to do with Noah Igbinoghene’s move to a two-way role — more on that later — but he’s done great work early, too. The freshman looks like a polished playmaker, which is to be expected from a powerhouse high school program such as Hoover (Ala.). Darius Slayton said Tuesday “it’s pretty evident that he’s related” to Bo Jackson. That’s high praise for the new guy to watch at second-team flanker.

Wide receiver – slot

• Ryan Davis
  • Will Hastings
  • Eli Stove

Tight end

• Jalen Harris
  • Tucker Brown
  • John Samuel Shenker

Left tackle

• Prince Tega Wanogho
  • Bailey Sharp

Left guard

• Marquel Harrell
  • Brodarious Hamm
  • Tyler Carr

Center

• Kaleb Kim
  • Nick Brahms
Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Tashawn Manning
Auburn OL Tashawn Manning (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Right guard

• Mike Horton
  • Tyler Carr
  • Tashawn Manning (new position)

Manning was going to have a tough road toward playing time at defensive tackle. Auburn’s staff needs more bodies on the interior offensive line, so he made the long-rumored move official Tuesday. Manning worked with the second team in the pace drill. While he needs a lot of teaching from J.B. Grimes, there’s potential here for the redshirt freshman.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Auburn spring practice-Calvin Ashley
Auburn OT Calvin Ashley (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Right tackle

• Calvin Ashley ↑
  • Austin Troxell

Ashley taking first-team reps on the offensive line isn’t a surprise. But he’s worth highlighting here for how sharp he’s looked in open viewing periods. Ashley has slimmed down from the 350 pounds he was listed at last season, and he has the physical tools needed to succeed. It’s been a strong start for the 5-star tackle.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-T.D. Moultry
Auburn DE T.D. Moultry (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Buck defensive end

• T.D. Moultry ↑
  • Big Kat Bryant

Moultry was already the expected replacement for Jeff Holland at Buck. But the early reviews of Moultry heading into his sophomore season are phenomenal. Teammates recalled Moultry hawking down Malik Willis multiple times during the Tigers’ first full day in pads. Moultry’s speed is standing out early, as he’s shown an impressive burst during chute and dummy drills during viewing windows. Auburn is expecting big things from him in 2018.

Nose tackle

• Derrick Brown
  • Andrew Williams
  • Jaunta’vius Johnson

Defensive tackle

• Dontavius Russell
  • Tyrone Truesdell
  • Alec Jackson

Defensive end

• Marlon Davidson
  • Nick Coe
Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Auburn spring practice-K.J. Britt
Auburn LB K.J. Britt (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Middle linebacker

• Deshaun Davis
  • K.J. Britt ↑

Auburn’s pace drills call for two sets of two linebackers. In both viewing windows, K.J. Britt has joined seniors Deshaun Davis, Darrell Williams and Montavious Atkinson for reps. Britt has a key role to play behind Davis this season, and he could become the “fourth starter” that Atkinson was last season for the Tigers. Britt’s stock continues to rise.

Strongside linebacker

• Darrell Williams
  • Chandler Wooten

Weakside linebacker

• Montavious Atkinson
  • Richard McBryde
Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Christian Tutt
Auburn CB Christian Tutt (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Cornerback

• Jamel Dean
  • Christian Tutt ↑
  • Travion Leonard

Auburn wasted no time throwing its newcomers into second-team reps on defense. Tutt has the potential to be a Carlton Davis-type cornerback for the Tigers, and he’ll challenge for playing time as a true freshman. With Igbinoghene moving to cornerback, it’s clear Auburn is looking for people to step up at this position. Jeremiah Dinson spoke highly of Tutt’s speed and footwork, and he’s made a big impression on other teammates already this spring.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Noah Igbinoghene
Auburn WR/DB Noah Igbinoghene (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Cornerback

• Javaris Davis
  • Noah Igbinoghene (new position)
  • John Broussard Jr.

Igbinoghene is now playing both sides of the ball for the Tigers, and he looks like a good fit at cornerback. The track star has elite speed and great hips. One Auburn coach said Igbinoghene could have a future in the secondary — and he wasn’t just talking about his playing days on the Plains, either. Auburn is giving him second-team reps already, so the opportunity is there for this ultra-athletic talent.

Nickel back

• Jordyn Peters
  • Daniel Thomas
  • Jayvaughn Myers
  • Malcolm Askew
Auburn spring practice-Smoke Monday-2018 season-Auburn football
Auburn DB Smoke Monday (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Free safety

• Jeremiah Dinson
  • Smoke Monday ↑

Monday is becoming one of the most popular names of the offseason, and it’s not because he’s going by Smoke. Monday was a second-team safety alongside fellow freshman Jamien Sherwood early. Deshaun Davis told reporters Tuesday that Monday rotated in with the first-team defense, as well. Monday has the body type to play both free and strong safety, so he could be in a future starter pairing with new full-time deep man Jeremiah Dinson.

Strong safety

• Daniel Thomas
  • Jamien Sherwood

Kicker

• Anders Carlson
  • Ian Shannon

Punter

• Aidan Marshall

Holder

• Ian Shannon
  • Will Hastings
  • Griffin King

Long snapper

• Bill Taylor

Kick returners

• Noah Igbinoghene and Kam Martin
  • Devan Barrett and Javaris Davis

Punt returner

• Ryan Davis
  • Noah Igbinoghene
  • Griffin King

•  

Just now, WFE12 said:

Monday is becoming one of the most popular names of the offseason, and it’s not because he’s going by Smoke. Monday was a second-team safety alongside fellow freshman Jamien Sherwood early. Deshaun Davis told reporters Tuesday that Monday rotated in with the first-team defense, as well. Monday has the body type to play both free and strong safety, so he could be in a future starter pairing with new full-time deep man Jeremiah Dinson.

giphy (20).gif

So an injured/recovering Troxell over Sammons? 

Nah don't believe it.  

Also we are thin not only at Safety but also linebacker.  Need some studs again this year in recruiting.  4-5 backers 2-3 safeties

Given the fact that we play about 80% in Nickel/Dime sets, I don't think we thin at LB. At all. We list three LB spots, but we only put them on the field together in spot duty or against particular teams.

1st - Davis/D. Williams

2nd - Britt/Atkinson

3rd - Wooten/McBryde

Then, you add Michael Harris, Zakoby McClain, likely Josh Marsh, and possibly Richard Jibunor to that position group. That's 10 guys for two spots in our base defense.

45 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Given the fact that we play about 80% in Nickel/Dime sets, I don't think we thin at LB. At all. We list three LB spots, but we only put them on the field together in spot duty or against particular teams.

1st - Davis/D. Williams

2nd - Britt/Atkinson

3rd - Wooten/McBryde

Then, you add Michael Harris, Zakoby McClain, likely Josh Marsh, and possibly Richard Jibunor to that position group. That's 10 guys for two spots in our base defense.

That's one reason it is paramount to identify and recruit the safety position really well. I agree with Corch that we need another 2-3 this year

I've been one to wonder how TD would work at lb for us but he seems to have a future at buck. Him "hawking down Malik multiple times" is quite impressive and we will need that against these scrambling qb's we seem to always have a problem with as long as he doesn't over-pursue.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

1st - Davis/D. Williams

2nd - Britt/Atkinson

3rd - Wooten/McBryde

Marsh supposedly a DB/LB hybrid... Jibunor supposedly a possible Buck and would think he would be a buck since PJ III left.  

Also as much of a strike out rate there is at linebacker and the ability they have to be great special teams players in the coverage teams then I’d say 4 experienced players, 2 inexperienced players, and 2 incoming true freshman then yes I say we need 4 if true LBs and 5 if we are including the buck

Anyone else mistake Whitlow for KP in that picture of him?  He is one big dude.  

Also, I see Malcolm Askew continues to slide down the depth chart.  I wonder why this is.  I had high hopes for him to breakout.

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Anyone else mistake Whitlow for KP in that picture of him?  He is one big dude.  

Also, I see Malcolm Askew continues to slide down the depth chart.  I wonder why this is.  I had high hopes for him to breakout.

Not really for me.  I think if you combined Asa's legs with Whitlows it might equal Pettway's.  That dude had tree trunks for legs.

17 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Ashley taking first-team reps on the offensive line isn’t a surprise. But he’s worth highlighting here for how sharp he’s looked in open viewing periods. Ashley has slimmed down from the 350 pounds he was listed at last season, and he has the physical tools needed to succeed. It’s been a strong start for the 5-star tackle.

Looks like the redshirt ( which I predicted for Ashley last year before the season and some on here thought I was crazy) has really helped him. Hope he can be the star we thought he might be when he was signed.

Anyone else glad we are 3 deep at Holder?  Man that is a relief that if our kicker gets injured we have someone to hold the ball, but if our starting holder (who is our backup kicker) is injured and can't hold; then who the heck do we have kicking the ball?

Holder

• Ian Shannon
  • Will Hastings
  • Griffin King

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I second this. He was a social media warrior for us during his recruitment. I was rooting for him to succeed.

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Anyone else glad we are 3 deep at Holder?  Man that is a relief that if our kicker gets injured we have someone to hold the ball, but if our starting holder (who is our backup kicker) is injured and can't hold; then who the heck do we have kicking the ball?

Drop kick?

3 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I'm actually disappointed. I read on day 1 that Willis was holding. I was looking forward to having a holder who could fake and run, fake and throw, etc.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I'm actually disappointed. I read on day 1 that Willis was holding. I was looking forward to having a holder who could fake and run, fake and throw, etc.

Keep up man... you can't have QB1 holding the ball for a kicker

hahahaha  :drippingsarcasm7pa:

16 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Hastings could. But he's... running H2...

Yeah there's no way to sound football cool talking about a holder. 

5 minutes ago, dmoney said:

Are we not getting updates on practice anymore.. 

They're on spring break

31 minutes ago, dmoney said:

Are we not getting updates on practice anymore.. 

I'm sure if you trolled some Twitter accounts, you could get some updates on what they are practicing, but odds are it's not football...

Not really Spring practice related - but I overheard some Auburn ladies working to get our new punter, Arryn Siposs, a place to live. Should've offered them my current place for the summer since we're moving out of here in April. lol I imagine he'll come in during summer workouts and take over the punting duties once official practices start up in the fall.

I would love to see Anthony Schwartz on punt returns and kick off returns this coming fall. I wonder if this is in the minds of the coaches?

35 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I would love to see Anthony Schwartz on punt returns and kick off returns this coming fall. I wonder if this is in the minds of the coaches?

It would be foolish not to be.

Here's an update for you. Malik is putting in work on spring break and got to meet AB.

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Here's an update for you. Malik is putting in work on spring break and got to meet AB.

He obviously views himself as a future starter. Might even be genuinely trying to win the job right now. Love it.

Archived