Null



WFE12

Jordan Rodgers on Stidham

Recommended Posts

Thinking about the OP...

Anybody tell Rodgers to get off of Stidham?

:beer2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Thinking about the OP...

Anybody tell Rodgers to get off of Stidham?

:beer2:

If they don't have something controversial about AU to talk about, the bammers won't tune in.......that's what it is mostly about. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

If they don't have something controversial about AU to talk about, the bammers won't tune in.......that's what it is mostly about. 

You are so right Carl.

As for my comment though, I was just making a joke that my 9 yr olds would appreciate.  

Some of the more sophomoric & immature on this site get me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

You are so right Carl.

As for my comment though, I was just making a joke that my 9 yr olds would appreciate.  

Some of the more sophomoric & immature on this site get me.

Pardon me.....I live in a small rural town...not much happens here and we are really out of touch,  still waiting on high speed internet for my neighborhood.....so sometime comments like yours go right over my head.....but don't mind me....just keep up the good work.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Pardon me.....I live in a small rural town...not much happens here and we are really out of touch,  still waiting on high speed internet for my neighborhood.....so sometime comments like yours go right over my head.....but don't mind me....just keep up the good work.:)

No worries.  My sense of humor is often an aquired taste.

I actually understood Andy Kaufman if that tells you anything...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

There was a meeting between the 3. One point after the bowl game Stidham was going pro. Was talked into coming back. I even warned this place about Stidham going pro. Lets hope AU(Gus) lives up to their promise, something he has a hard time doing. 

Sigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As if giving your QB the option to check out of a called play when he sees something at the line of scrimmage is a bad idea ? Heck maybe JS will even be able to check off to a quick pass to the TE when he sees 9 stacked at the LOS on a first down dive play. Now THAT would be a novelty. If he has the 'ability' to do this it's not even worth a second thought.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

As if giving your QB the option to check out of a called play when he sees something at the line of scrimmage is a bad idea ? Heck maybe JS will even be able to check off to a quick pass to the TE when he sees 9 stacked at the LOS on a first down dive play. Now THAT would be a novelty. If he has the 'ability' to do this it's not even worth a second thought.

It is when the QB can’t even do basic fundamentals I like JS but some of you guys are overrating the crap out of him. He is playing off straight pure talent right now , but that won’t be nearly enough at the next level. He needs to work on solidifying his craft. Not fumbling snaps or running around like a mad man in the pocket. Jake Fromm, a true freshman, came in a lot more fundamentally sound than him and at the end of the season it continued to show as he was making checks at the line. A made a perfect check at OU, but you got to earn that right. JS has a lot of potential but he needs to get the basics down first, like handing the himself in the pocket. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is when the QB can’t even do basic fundamentals I like JS but some of you guys are overrating the crap out of him. He is playing off straight pure talent right now , but that won’t be nearly enough at the next level. He needs to work on solidifying his craft. Not fumbling snaps or running around like a mad man in the pocket. Jake Fromm, a true freshman, came in a lot more fundamentally sound than him and at the end of the season it continued to show as he was making checks at the line. A made a perfect check at OU, but you got to earn that right. JS has a lot of potential but he needs to get the basics down first, like handing the himself in the pocket. 

I can't disagree with much of your assessment of some of the other aspects of his game. So I am not in the group overrating him. But the subject here was check off ability, a mental part of his game and to that end he either has the ability or he doesn't. We don't know for sure but I would say if he does, you should use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I can't disagree with much of your assessment of some of the other aspects of his game. So I am not in the group overrating him. But the subject here was check off ability, a mental part of his game and to that end he either has the ability or he doesn't. We don't know for sure but I would say if he does, you should use it. 

He might have it, but based on his play last year, I seriously doubt he had the maturity or the processing to make quality reads. He speaks about how when he came in , he had to learn simple concepts through the offense because the Baylor offense taught him zilch. It took him several games to even catch up to speed with this level of football. He has to earn that trust. I think with another year under his belt he has, but I am baffled that this was supposedly a big feature of him coming back. Like seriously bro, you can’t even take a snap from under the center and you think you are going to have the terminology down at the next level. No way. Get your fundamentals down, be able to handle the game speed , then work on checking out of plays. It’s like a pg wanting to call the numbers on the floor , but still shaky with handles. Shoot you got to be able to bring the ball up the court and handle a full court press before you can be the floor general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jarrett Stidham will learn nothing in this offense that will help him at the NFL level.

The above post reeks of stupidity.  He was put in terrible positions constantly last season.  That is the basic reality of Malzahn's offense with pass-first QB's, so I don't doubt for one second that this report is real.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will cut J.S some slack he did throw for over 3k and 18tds after running for his life his first game. No one well at least am not saying put the play calling in his hands, but geesh what’s letting your signal caller at least check out of plays a few times a game? How long has Gus been coaching and still let a game like LSU happen (we going to believe Jarret couldn’t have checked out of one of our amazing 1st down run for 1yrd plays to another suitable play hell for even 3yrds?) I think the story is overblown but I could also see some validity to it.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, metafour said:

Jarrett Stidham will learn nothing in this offense that will help him at the NFL level.

The above post reeks of stupidity.  He was put in terrible positions constantly last season.  That is the basic reality of Malzahn's offense with pass-first QB's, so I don't doubt for one second that this report is real.

giphy.gif

I know you get off on this type of thing but try to read the whole dang post and comprehend a little bit. I never said this offense will get him ready for the NFL. I said how the heck does he think he is going to transition to the NFL when he doesn’t even have basic fundamentals down, like taking a simple snap from the center or how to slide in the pocket without running around like a chicken with your freaking head cut off.  That is HIGHSCHOOL stuff. In the NFL, athletic ability and potential only gets you so far, you have to be fundamentally sound and mentally strong. Hence why I said how does he even expect to get the mental concepts down at the NFL level when you don’t even have the fundamentals down at the collegiate level.  The other stuff you are talking about, I am not disputing it, but he got a lot to work on in order to earn trust and if you know CGM, you have to GAIN his trust before you can do any of that. This is not new. EVERYONE knows this about Gus. So before you start PMSing, understand the main hypothesis of the post. It will save you from having an aneurysm when you post. I honestly have no problem with him wanting to check out here and there, but what I find laughable is that he used that as a bargaining tool to keep him from the NFL. If he is ready for the NFL then somebody needs to find an agent for the kid from UCF.

Edit: But I digress. This year, we are going to see how good he is because he is going to have to be the real deal. There is no more KJ to take the pressure off you in the offense. JS is going to absolutely have to will us to win games this year, just like NM did in 2013 and CN did in 2010. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only comment is if it stops the dive up the middle after a big play then I'm 1,800,486,849,947,837,000% in right now.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

My only comment is if it stops the dive up the middle after a big play then I'm 1,800,486,849,947,837,000% in right now.

Folks complain about how much KJ carried the ball last year but he was "money in the bank" when healthy (or even mostly healthy) and it will be interesting to see how things go when JS does not have an all conference ball carrier in the backfield.    Might also want to keep in mind that it is not only the QB who has to react to a play changed at the line.....other players may have different assignments and he has to know that he has the right players on the field to run the play that he wants to call.  

DAG was stressing fundamentals and I'm 100% in agreement there......JS has a lot to learn yet to handle the basic job...but I give allowance for his lack of poise on occasion because of his lack of experience.  I'm not sure what he was doing at Baylor was much benefit in a more pro-style offense but a year under Chip should make a difference.      Gus worries a lot about ball security....as does about every HC .....and he's had reason to worry about JS if you think back to last season.    If he can't get out from under center with the ball against Udub, that's gonna be a bad thing.  

NFL might be in JS's future....but that is a ways off yet IMO....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DAG said:

I know you get off on this type of thing but try to read the whole dang post and comprehend a little bit. I never said this offense will get him ready for the NFL. I said how the heck does he think he is going to transition to the NFL when he doesn’t even have basic fundamentals down, like taking a simple snap from the center or how to slide in the pocket without running around like a chicken with your freaking head cut off.  That is HIGHSCHOOL stuff. In the NFL, athletic ability and potential only gets you so far, you have to be fundamentally sound and mentally strong. Hence why I said how does he even expect to get the mental concepts down at the NFL level when you don’t even have the fundamentals down at the collegiate level.  The other stuff you are talking about, I am not disputing it, but he got a lot to work on in order to earn trust and if you know CGM, you have to GAIN his trust before you can do any of that. This is not new. EVERYONE knows this about Gus. So before you start PMSing, understand the main hypothesis of the post. It will save you from having an aneurysm when you post. I honestly have no problem with him wanting to check out here and there, but what I find laughable is this used as a bargaining tool to keep him from the NFL. If he is ready for the NFL then somebody needs to find an agent for the kid from UCF.

Edit: But I digress. This year, we are going to see how good he is because he is going to have to be the real deal. There is no more KJ to take the pressure off you in the offense. JS is going to absolutely have to will us to win games this year, just like NM did in 2013 and CN did in 2010. 

 

He had zero problem moving around the pocket in any of his Baylor games.  You ever notice how all these QB's somehow get here and magically "lose their fundamentals"?? Even Sean White was more fundamentally sound before he stepped foot on campus here.  He also got pummeled into oblivion.  You are talking out of your ass by choosing to judge a passing QB who is playing in an offense that has zero clue how to execute a passing system.  Every team we play knows what we are doing and when, and you are choosing to berate the QB for what? Not "sliding" out of obvious blitzes that a monkey should be able to see coming? I am speaking up because your criticisms of Stidham's skills (or what you see as a lack thereof) are in fact a product of the crap he is forced to try and navigate through.

Fun fact: Chip Lindsey was FAR from happy last season as well.  In fact, he probably would have bounced if he got the right offer.  Playing for and coaching under Malzahn is like being asked to smash your head into a brick wall repeatedly.  You can only handle so much stupidity (see: Clemson, LSU games).

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, metafour said:

Fun fact: Chip Lindsey was FAR from happy last season as well.  In fact, he probably would have bounced if he got the right offer.  Playing for and coaching under Malzahn is like being asked to smash your head into a brick wall repeatedly.  You can only handle so much stupidity (see: Clemson, LSU games).

Just makes you wonder about his 49 million dollar contract even more.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Southwest said:

 How long has Gus been coaching and still let a game like LSU happen (we going to believe Jarret couldn’t have checked out of one of our amazing 1st down run for 1yrd plays to another suitable play hell for even 3yrds?) 

Just a reminder that Stidham was 9 for 26 against LSU... yes, that's a whopping 35% completion ratio. Checking out of a run play wasn't likely going to be of much benefit for us in that game.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, metafour said:

 

He had zero problem moving around the pocket in any of his Baylor games.  You ever notice how all these QB's somehow get here and magically "lose their fundamentals"?? Even Sean White was more fundamentally sound before he stepped foot on campus here.  He also got pummeled into oblivion.  You are talking out of your ass by choosing to judge a passing QB who is playing in an offense that has zero clue how to execute a passing system.  Every team we play knows what we are doing and when, and you are choosing to berate the QB for what? Not "sliding" out of obvious blitzes that a monkey should be able to see coming? I am speaking up because your criticisms of Stidham's skills (or what you see as a lack thereof) are in fact a product of the crap he is forced to try and navigate through.

Fun fact: Chip Lindsey was FAR from happy last season as well.  In fact, he probably would have bounced if he got the right offer.  Playing for and coaching under Malzahn is like being asked to smash your head into a brick wall repeatedly.  You can only handle so much stupidity (see: Clemson, LSU games).

3

See this is how I know you are just ranting without knowing what you are talking about. For one, SW fundamentals were never questioned. He looked good in the pocket. Much better than JS ever did last year. He wasn't perfect in the pocket now. He tended to lean on deep throws.The problem with SW was he could not stay healthy and he did not have the physical acumen of Stidham. But SW knew how to maneuver in the pocket. JS has all the physical tools. If the pocket was clean, he looked great, but when the pocket broke down, he looked more horrible. We had a terrible game plan going against Clemson and LSU. I will never dispute that, but that 11 sacks are super overblown. Clemson has a great defensive line, but my God, throw the freaking ball away. That is high school 101. You are not going to always be able to audible out of an obvious blitzing situation when you play quality front seven. Things are going to break down and you are going to have to be able to be composed and make plays. Kind of like what that 2-star UCF QB was doing to us, making great throws in tight windows and getting away from pressure.

Now to your next point. The Baylor offense under Briles was a glorified 7 on 7 skeleton drill. I am not dissing it because it worked for him. But under that offense you aren't working on fundamentals, you don't even have to think. It is simple concepts. You are in the shotgun with 5 wide sets or 4 wide with an HB and you are throwing quick hitters. JS had the ball out of his hands as soon as it snaps. JS didn't make that offense. They had 2 QBs play in that offense in one season & Johnson (Who started out as a QB, switch to WR and then back to QB)  and for the most part, they didn't skip a beat. Oh, and BTW when all three of those guys got hurt, they threw a freaking legitimate WR in there and he didn't look too shabby considering the consequences. So that tells me you don't have to be fundamentally sound to run that offense.  Now maybe that is the offense we need for JS, but the fact of the matter is, you aren't going to be super successful running that style in the SEC, unlike the big 12 (Unless you have unreal talent like OU).  And you got the nerve to call other people post stupid.

Now to your last point, which isn't a fact (unless you have a source), it is gossip by grown men. If you are unhappy, just leave. Screw having the right offer. Either grow some balls and tell the coach how you feel or leave. Screw the "right" offer. Coach Craig got out. Let me tell you about CGM. He drives me insane at times, but one thing I will say about him is that he at least have the balls to bet on himself. He wasn't happy at Arkansas and he freaking left and went to Tulsa. This is after helping them get to their only SEC championship game. He wasn't happy at AU with the Gene Chizik and then left for Arkansas State, two years removed from being an NC and considered one of the best assistant coaches in the game. Last year, he went through adversity and I didn't really think he liked the way he was getting treated (Although some of it was well deserved). However, once again he betted on himself. I believe he absolutely would've jettison towards Arkansas had he not got the support he wanted at AU. Now money wise, he would've gotten paid with some more autonomy (So it is different than the previous examples),  but he would've gone straight down to a 3rd rate program. If you are that good of a coach, BET on yourself. Save me with the right offer crap and more importantly, stop gossiping.

JS: Quality QB. He has the look and the talent to be a Heisman caliber QB, but he is fundamentally flawed and that is absolutely okay to say. I understand why the coaching staff didn't trust him. Now should they have let him get his feet wetter, with allowing him to check out of stuff? Sure. I have no beef with that. My beef is this report is saying that was one of the biggest reasons as to why he was thinking of the NFL. One, if you are the leader of this team and you are trying to build rapport, then this is a discussion that should've been had during the season. No point in building up frustration about it, if you aren't going to address it. Clearly, they had a great discussion, as to why he is coming back. This could've been resolved last season. but even pass that, JS needs to prove that he can lead on the field as well. He needs to take that next step. I know in your world, you want to blame all the flaws on the coaches and the accolades, you want to give to the players, but individually he needs to be accountable for himself getting better. If you don't like me critiquing JS, then you can just kick rocks.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Just a reminder that Stidham was 9 for 26 against LSU... yes, that's a whopping 35% completion ratio. Checking out of a run plan wasn't likely going to be of much benefit for us in that game.

Stats vs Feel...

He was 35% on what was probably 99.9% called pass plays, that many agree, is not Gus' strength.

Maybe checking out of the running plays, as suggested, would actually work as it would SO go against the grain of the AU offense under Gus.

Defenses would be all like, "Oh crap!".

Edited by AUsince72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DAG Stidham played two VERY fundamentally sound games against Georgia 1.0 and Alabama. What I saw out of Stidham in the games that he played poorly (in my opinion as someone who played the position) was a quarterback playing without trust in the play being called, and ultimately a frustrated player. I say that because I've seen him play fundamental football in the games that we rolled out a solid plan. Stidham made plenty of mistakes on his own throughout the season. There are plenty of instances that I'm sure you could point to where I would agree that Stidham made a poor decision, or bailed on a play, or held onto the ball too long. But, I would first attribute those issues to a lack confidence and trust in what he was being asked to do. Once that issue is addressed, then you can move onto the fundamentals. I just don't think it matters what guy is behind the center - if there's no trust in the plays being called, we won't see good quarterback play. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@DAG Stidham played two VERY fundamentally sound games against Georgia 1.0 and Alabama. What I saw out of Stidham in the games that he played poorly (in my opinion as someone who played the position) was a quarterback playing without trust in the play being called, and ultimately a frustrated player. I say that because I've seen him play fundamental football in the games that we rolled out a solid plan. Stidham made plenty of mistakes on his own throughout the season. There are plenty of instances that I'm sure you could point to where I would agree that Stidham made a poor decision, or bailed on a play, or held onto the ball too long. But, I would first attribute those issues to a lack confidence and trust in what he was being asked to do. Once that issue is addressed, then you can move onto the fundamentals. I just don't think it matters what guy is behind the center - if there's no trust in the plays being called, we won't see good quarterback play. 

To an extent I get that. But I am not speaking about where we had bad game plans or even good game plans. I am speaking specifically of JS individuality . When the pocket breaks down, even if there’s is an inkling of it breaking down , he looses composure and stars running around. Sometimes he makes something out of it. To me that has nothing to do with game planning. That is somebody who is not use to having his feet set and having to make throws under duress. He needs to work on that. He got a little bit better at the end of the season with that. This happened in the Bama game as well. I am not blaming JS for LSU or Clemson. But I am going to critique him on his individual game. He is not above that, like what some people want to try to do. But you are right it works both ways, the coaching staff does need to put him in much better positions to be successful. And most people know, this has been my harshest criticism on Gus, which is why I am of the position , he needs a guy back there who can improv to be over the top. I didn’t think SW fit in this offense and I am not so sure a JS can take us over the top either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Folks complain about how much KJ carried the ball last year but he was "money in the bank" when healthy (or even mostly healthy) and it will be interesting to see how things go when JS does not have an all conference ball carrier in the backfield.    Might also want to keep in mind that it is not only the QB who has to react to a play changed at the line.....other players may have different assignments and he has to know that he has the right players on the field to run the play that he wants to call.  

DAG was stressing fundamentals and I'm 100% in agreement there......JS has a lot to learn yet to handle the basic job...but I give allowance for his lack of poise on occasion because of his lack of experience.  I'm not sure what he was doing at Baylor was much benefit in a more pro-style offense but a year under Chip should make a difference.      Gus worries a lot about ball security....as does about every HC .....and he's had reason to worry about JS if you think back to last season.    If he can't get out from under center with the ball against Udub, that's gonna be a bad thing.  

NFL might be in JS's future....but that is a ways off yet IMO....

This is a great post but it's not too connected to what I said lol

Simply saying I can't stand doing the "hurry up" offense and our first play after a big play is a HB dive for 2 yards everytime. It's painfully predictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@DAG Stidham played two VERY fundamentally sound games against Georgia 1.0 and Alabama. What I saw out of Stidham in the games that he played poorly (in my opinion as someone who played the position) was a quarterback playing without trust in the play being called, and ultimately a frustrated player. I say that because I've seen him play fundamental football in the games that we rolled out a solid plan. Stidham made plenty of mistakes on his own throughout the season. There are plenty of instances that I'm sure you could point to where I would agree that Stidham made a poor decision, or bailed on a play, or held onto the ball too long. But, I would first attribute those issues to a lack confidence and trust in what he was being asked to do. Once that issue is addressed, then you can move onto the fundamentals. I just don't think it matters what guy is behind the center - if there's no trust in the plays being called, we won't see good quarterback play. 

That's an interesting thing to think about. If a QB is not playing at his best because he doesn't "trust the play being called", what does that say about the QB? Why doesn't he trust it? Is it because he doesn't trust his blockers to protect him? If that's the issue, than I totally get it and I think we are addressing that. Is it that he doesn't trust his receivers? If that's the case, then he needs to spend the Summer working on connecting with them. If, however, it's because he thinks it's the wrong call, then he needs to check himself, because choosing the play to call is not his job and he needs to trust the coaching staff. Not buying in to the system is a choice and if it is causing you to play below your ability then that is on you and no one else. It's also a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you go in thinking "this isn't the right thing to do" and don't execute because of it, then it becomes a bad call whether it really was or not. If, however, you trust what it being called, and execute it to your full potential, you might just find out that the coach was right all along.

Now I know some people are going to respond with "Gus doesn't trust his players/staff so why should they trust him?" to which I will answer, even if the first part is true, which is purely speculation, responding in kind is childish, petty, and guarantees that the team will never truly succeed. If that is the attitude we have going on inside the team, then we have bigger problems than I could have ever thought.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now