Heron Transferring to St. John's

Proud Tiger

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Brown being best defender is one of the more over used terms people say

“Bryce was having a hard time moving, especially shooting, but it was his decision. I said, ‘Who’s going to guard [Shai] Alexander’ because he’s the best (defender) we have. Bryce could’ve gone out there and not scored, and we could still win if he could just go out there and guard,” Pearl said. 

People say it because a) it's true. And b) because Bruce says it too.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2018/02/15/pearl-says-auburns-motto-weve-got-bryce-brown-and-you-dont/341762002/

It's so silly to think that Bryce isn't one of the most important players on the team. I'm starting to think you're just a troll though

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with @Gene Loblawon this topic because a Bruce doesn't say stuff just to say it. 

I also know @cole256 isn't a troll and knows his shizz so I'm just hoping he's wrong on this one regarding bringing 4 starters back. 

I think Bryce can potentially be even more dangerous for us this year if Wiley establishes himself as a force down low. Defensively if I'm not mistaken he usually gets the toughest assignment so I think that speaks volumes about where he is as a defender according to our staff. I remember Cole saying 2 years ago Bryce was overhyped as a defender and at that time he was still our best but wasn't great. I think he improved drastically last season and I think he will be even better this year. 

I love Bryce Brown and sure glad he is on this team.  When he is hot, he is an assassin from deep.  Just as hot as he gets, he also gets ice cold.  For 2 straight years,  he has gone multiple games in the worst slump I have seen.  Can't hit anything.  If he can limit how bad he slumps and improve on creating as Cole stated, I think he can become draftable.

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Also Brown isn't extraordinary at creating his own shot. 

This was what knocked him down for me.  He just really struggled against quicker guards that could cut him off. He also struggled late in the shot clock when things had broken down.

8 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

People say it because a) it's true. And b) because Bruce says it too.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2018/02/15/pearl-says-auburns-motto-weve-got-bryce-brown-and-you-dont/341762002/

It's so silly to think that Bryce isn't one of the most important players on the team. I'm starting to think you're just a troll though

Well you just told me about all I need to know from you, whatever you read or whatever ranking you see that's what you say. But that's cool though more power to you, but I actually backed what I thought up thou should think about what I said. Nah I'm no troll, especially not in this here basketball. But keep on trucking

17 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm with @Gene Loblawon this topic because a Bruce doesn't say stuff just to say it. 

I also know @cole256 isn't a troll and knows his shizz so I'm just hoping he's wrong on this one regarding bringing 4 starters back. 

I think Bryce can potentially be even more dangerous for us this year if Wiley establishes himself as a force down low. Defensively if I'm not mistaken he usually gets the toughest assignment so I think that speaks volumes about where he is as a defender according to our staff. I remember Cole saying 2 years ago Bryce was overhyped as a defender and at that time he was still our best but wasn't great. I think he improved drastically last season and I think he will be even better this year. 

With Herron gone we are going to see. But he didn't always go to the best offensive player, he matched up with the guy left out. He didn't ever match up against the smaller quick guys because Harper needed to, and he didn't match up with those bigger 6'7" guys because Herron would have to pick those guys up. I'm not saying he's trash though, I'm saying he's not the superman many make him to be, he's certainly not better than Herron. And a smaller guard who isn't proficient at creating his own shot.....I mean just really how do you think that can carry a team? He's a good complement player though

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

With Herron gone we are going to see. But he didn't always go to the best offensive player, he matched up with the guy left out. He didn't ever match up against the smaller quick guys because Harper needed to, and he didn't match up with those bigger 6'7" guys because Herron would have to pick those guys up. I'm not saying he's trash though, I'm saying he's not the superman many make him to be, he's certainly not better than Herron. And I smaller guard who isn't proficient at creating his own shot.....I mean just really how do you think that can carry a team? He's a good complement player though

I don't think anyone has said he has to carry the team or expecting/asking him to do that. The beauty of how Bruce has built this team is that no one player carries us. 

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

With Herron gone we are going to see. But he didn't always go to the best offensive player, he matched up with the guy left out. He didn't ever match up against the smaller quick guys because Harper needed to, and he didn't match up with those bigger 6'7" guys because Herron would have to pick those guys up. I'm not saying he's trash though, I'm saying he's not the superman many make him to be, he's certainly not better than Herron. And I smaller guard who isn't proficient at creating his own shot.....I mean just really how do you think that can carry a team? He's a good complement player though

He reminds me of Bryan Smith from his role on the 1999 team. Smith wasn't one of the superstars like Doc Robinson, Chris Porter, and Momadu Engi (I know I just butchered the spelling of his name.) Those were the guys that shined, he was the guy working in the background. Thats what Bryce reminds me of...

It would be nice if he could find some consistency with his shot, and creating his own space. 

@cole256 is absolutely not a troll. 

And I absolutely hated the day when Herron left. I wish him the best at St. John's.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I don't think anyone has said he has to carry the team or expecting/asking him to do that. The beauty of how Bruce has built this team is that no one player carries us. 

Somebody did say that. Not that he has to but he did, I read it somewhere. Not trying to call anybody out though

17 hours ago, Tiger said:

Oh and with an inside presence he definitely can be even better because he shouldn't have to worry about creating shots as much, at least on his own. But somebody will have to be good at penetrating and getting in the middle of the defense for everything else to work. 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Somebody did say that. Not that he has to but he did, I read it somewhere. Not trying to call anybody out though

I must have missed it but I'm expecting a big year from him to close out his AU career. He's a killer on those weak side 3s

Speaking from a personal standpoint since i ranked Bryce higher than Heron on last years team. Heron is hands down a better all around ball player. But i think Bryce was more integral to the success of last years team. But the difference between the 2 is minimal in my mind. Both have carried AU to wins in their time at AU. Neither would be able to consistently carry a team at the Div 1 level. 

On 10/20/2018 at 11:06 AM, cole256 said:

Oh and with an inside presence he definitely can be even better because he shouldn't have to worry about creating shots as much, at least on his own. But somebody will have to be good at penetrating and getting in the middle of the defense for everything else to work. 

Bryce reminds me of Danny Green.  Really good defender, really good spot shooter, struggles to drive and create space.  IMO, BB will be better this year because he will not be the focus. Also being able to work inside out at times will naturally create space and help free him up.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:47 PM, bigbird said:

Bryce reminds me of Danny Green.  Really good defender, really good spot shooter, struggles to drive and create space.  IMO, BB will be better this year because he will not be the focus. Also being able to work inside out at times will naturally create space and help free him up.

bryce isn't a great driver but he's still decent. I disagree though about him being able to create space. He's pretty damn good at creating his own shot on the perimeter off the dribble. Way better than Heron was at that by far. Heron's handle was pretty mediocre.

20 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

bryce isn't a great driver but he's still decent. I disagree though about him being able to create space. He's pretty damn good at creating his own shot on the perimeter off the dribble. Way better than Heron was at that by far. Heron's handle was pretty mediocre.

Brown "creates his own space" because he can take shots about 30 feet out it seems....before anyone is set up to guard him.    Otherwise.....seems to me he does not work as well in a set or half court offense unless he can get a good screen.  

Driving and creating space is essentially the same thing, at least driving and finishing. I would bet that you could go look at highlights of every game last year and you wouldn't find more than 15 plays of Brown taking his man off the dribble and scoring. Whereas that's what Herron does more than anything. His freshman year one of the most impressive things about Herron was his mid range game. He was great at making his defender get off balance and pulling up and scoring. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:45 PM, cole256 said:

But once again that's just my opinion I expect others to disagree but stuff everybody disagreed with me about a couple of seasons ago turned out to be true

I think Heron was our best and most dependable player. He wasn’t the guy to take over games and did disappear some but he was always the most steady player for Auburn in the game and in tbe box score. 

I loved Brown when he was hot, but he had too many elongated cold streaks mainly because he couldn’t dribble and drive for the easy ones.  Since Brown is still with us , I hope Brown finds a little more consistency and can propel himself out of his funks a little quicker. 

If Heron’s mom’s preexisting condition didn’t get any worse, I too wonder about the transfer. 

Also, I don’t think you’re a troll. I know you know your stuff and you’ve been doing your thing long before Gene.

Thanks. Preciate it. As a read over stuff, I don't want to hate on Brown. He is a important player for us. I really hope he can be consistent. Once we were in the tournament he didn't play well and we paid for it. I'm hoping we can cover the loss of Herron. I think he was more important than what some may feel. Also we will have to overcome chemistry issues during the season. Hopefully we'll be hitting our stride right when the tournaments start. 

On the topic of Heron,. He had the opportunity to be a true leader during games..  You know, "the coach on the field type",.  He was very dependable but sometimes we needed that emotional leader,. Heron always had that calm demeanor...  Sometimes we needed more spark than calm...   It should have and could have been "his" team,.  But the other guys rose up...   He just lacked the "alpha dog" potential.  

On 10/24/2018 at 8:30 PM, cole256 said:

Thanks. Preciate it. As a read over stuff, I don't want to hate on Brown. He is a important player for us. I really hope he can be consistent. Once we were in the tournament he didn't play well and we paid for it. I'm hoping we can cover the loss of Herron. I think he was more important than what some may feel. Also we will have to overcome chemistry issues during the season. Hopefully we'll be hitting our stride right when the tournaments start. 

During the Tourney you are correct Brown didn't light it up but I think he was still feeling affect of the shoulder injury.  I do agree with you about Chemistry and one other thing last year we had different players carry the team depending on the game. Sometimes it was Herron, Sometimes Bryce when he got hot, Sometimes Harper and one game Dunbar when Herron was hot. 

As for consistency last year Bryce was consistent scorer all year until the shoulder injury you and Bird have both pointed out some of Bryce's weaknesses and I agree with you guys but one thing I have seen with Bryce each year is improvement on his weak areas. 1st two years if he dribbled the ball it was a turnover waiting to happen last year there was a big improvement. His ball skills have improved but he will never be a PG, he added a pump fake and if defender left his feet he was able to go to basket and score. This year I would like to see same thing while adding ability to dump ball to another Auburn player when he goes to the basket.

While I don't rate Herron as high as you do you are correct he will be sorely missed.  He was a player who was willing to take the key shot down the stretch and make it he was also an underrated defender and re-bounder.

What hurt us the most in the Tourney was losing MAC he changed everything for this team. Shot Blocking spacing the floor little things that most people don't see.

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

At any rate, can we at least all agree his name is spelled "Heron"?

Yes and I am guilty of mis-spelling it multiple times.

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Yes and I am guilty of mis-spelling it multiple times.

No worries, I was just trying to add levity. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heron had 15,7 SJ’s first game and 26,6 tonight. Supposedly, he’s been the leader for that team. Like seeing him excelling, even though he isn’t at AU anymore. Mustapha will always be apart of the AU family. Hope he keeps it up. 

Glad to hear he is doing well! He opened a lot of eyes when he came to AU and his contributions to helping build this team should not be ignored

Archived