Malzahn hopeful 4 signees arrive soon

oracle79

Four Auburn signees have yet to move to campus, but head coach Gus Malzahn is hopeful that will soon change.

Defensive linemen Coynis Miller and Kayode Oladele, wide receiver Anthony Schwartz and punter Arryn Siposs have yet to enroll in classes while the remainder of the Tigers' 2018 class has already arrived on campus and is partaking in summer workouts.

"I don't have any updated information now," Malzahn said Tuesday before speaking at the Ambush Tour stop in Newnan, Ga. "We hope to have them soon. Obviously, the second summer is starting next week."

There are various reasons for each of the four to not be on campus yet, though Malzahn did not get into specifics in regard to each player and whether it's a matter of qualifying with the NCAA.

"There's a couple of different situations that's unique to each one of them," Malzahn said.

Schwartz, a four-star receiver out of American Heritage in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., has yet to arrive because he has been competing in track this summer. The fastest recruit in the nation just wrapped up competition at the USA Junior Championships in Bloomington, Ind., where he took home gold in the 100-meter in 10.23 seconds last week and qualified for the IAAF World U20 Championships. That takes place from July 10-15 in Finland.

It's unclear why Miller, a four-star defensive tackle out of Jackson-Olin, and Oladele, a four-star defensive end out of Miami, have yet to arrive on campus.

As for Siposs, the Tigers' new Australian punter, Malzahn said his delayed arrival is a matter of logistics. After all, the former Aussie rules punter has to move more than 9,500 miles from Melbourne, Australia to Auburn.

"That's to be expected with a player from Australia and everything that goes with it," Malzahn said. "We're confident he'll be with us by the time fall camp starts, hopefully earlier."

I expected a delay with Aussie.  Schwartz’s situation makes total sense.  

Not sure what’s up with the other 2. It must be qualifying issues, which always makes me nervous.  ?

59 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I expected a delay with Aussie.  Schwartz’s situation makes total sense.  

Not sure what’s up with the other 2. It must be qualifying issues, which always makes me nervous.  ?

Yep. If those two don't make it in, that will be a serious kick in the belly of our 2018 signing class.

Meanwhile, on another relevant front:

:Defensive lineman Daquan Newkirk (torn Achilles), center Nick Brahms (broken leg) and safety Jeremiah Dinson (shoulder surgery) could all return for the start of fall camp and Malzahn said receivers Eli Stove and Will Hastings are "ahead of schedule" recovering from torn anterior cruciate ligaments."

Gus Malzahn remains optimistic 3 injured Auburn players will be ready for fall camp at https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/06/gus_malzahn_remains_optimistic.html

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yep. If those two don't make it in, that will be a serious kick in the belly of our 2018 signing class.

Miller will be in AU before the month is over. All good there. No clue on the other. 

13 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Meanwhile, on another relevant front:

:Defensive lineman Daquan Newkirk (torn Achilles), center Nick Brahms (broken leg) and safety Jeremiah Dinson (shoulder surgery) could all return for the start of fall camp and Malzahn said receivers Eli Stove and Will Hastings are "ahead of schedule" recovering from torn anterior cruciate ligaments."

Gus Malzahn remains optimistic 3 injured Auburn players will be ready for fall camp at https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/06/gus_malzahn_remains_optimistic.html

Don't think Stove will be ready and I'm almost 95% sure Hastings won't be. 

If Newkirk is ready I’ll be thrilled. Achilles rehab no joke for a big guy trying to be explosive. Hoping this is the case....

Archived