2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

On 9/20/2019 at 2:46 PM, Zeek said:

Yeah he typically doesn't surge until really late and I'm not sure why that is.

Agree, he does close strong, but I wish he would have a few more in the fold before near the end.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hope we can get some of the D-line prospects to the Miss. State game and that our D-line dominates. That way they can see what great coaching  can do with great talent and then explain to them about the real chance for PT next year maybe even a chance to start with all the players graduating or leaving early. 

No offense to the guys committed, but do we need four WR commits this year? I would rather trade those for the defense/offense line. 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

No offense to the guys committed, but do we need four WR commits this year? I would rather trade those for the defense/offense line. 🤷🏼‍♂️

We aren't in a numbers crunch. With 27 slots available, we can keep what we have and add linemen where needed if we can get them. Top level OL and DL prospects are the hardest to find and sign. Letting WR guys go won't help one bit with getting linemen.

11 hours ago, PUB78 said:

t I wish he would have a few more in the fold before near the end.

Again, he did. We’ve had 3 decommits on the D line. As of now we would only take one of them back.

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

do we need four WR commits this year

Given apparently no quality depth has developed passed our top 4 wide receivers, yes unfortunately.

I would rather trade those for the defense/offense line

We are likely done on the OL with the six we have in the class & the plan is to take five on the DL. That should be plenty on both positions.

What does letting WR’s go have to do with getting d linemen?

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

With 27 slots available,

For what it’s worth, Gus has set a hard limit for the time being for high schoolers and jucos for the class at 25. Looks like he wants to hold two spots open for possible transfers or grad transfers.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Given apparently no quality depth has developed passed our top 4 wide receivers, yes unfortunately.

We are likely done on the OL with the six we have in the class & the plan is to take five on the DL. That should be plenty on both positions.

McClain? Jackson , Farrar, and Hill?  We have 8 receivers on the roster, 1 senior. Do we need 11 receivers for next year? 

23 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

What does letting WR’s go have to do with getting d linemen?

I'm just asking. Take two WR, two extra lineman?  Seems like the need should be elsewhere. Isn't this the same issue that has gotten is into a lack of quality offensive lineman. Although I think Mikey answered my question. 

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

McClain? Jackson , Farrar, and Hill?  We have 8 receivers on the roster, 1 senior. Do we need 11 receivers for next year? 

Again. None of those guys are really developing as wide receivers yet. 

Take two WR, two extra lineman?

That would be 8 OL in the class. We wouldn’t take 8 OLs even if we took 2 less WRs. 7 was always the potential max.

Our WR’s basically suck outside of Seth, Hastings, and Stove. It’s why you haven’t seen them at all in the first four games.

5 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Our WR’s basically suck outside of Seth, Hastings, and Stove. It’s why you haven’t seen them at all in the first four games.

Sal hasn't been too bad this year

Just now, abw0004 said:

Sal hasn't been too bad this year

Many including myself keep forgetting He’s a wide receiver. Also I’m sure for some like me he’s got to be consistent long-term given his inconsistencies of the past.

The lack of development of our WRs is alarming. I don't care what anyone says. We've recruited that position as well as any on the team, both in terms of quality and quantity. Whether it's scheme, skills/technique development or both, we have a coaching problem. 

J.  Johnson has been injured, correct?  He'll have a shot to make the 2 deep next year.  Also a possibility that we give MAR opportunities at receiver next year if the RB depth chart stays stacked.

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

J.  Johnson has been injured, correct?  He'll have a shot to make the 2 deep next year.  Also a possibility that we give MAR opportunities at receiver next year if the RB depth chart stays stacked.

Correct.  He has been on crutches every game I have been to so far.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Many including myself keep forgetting He’s a wide receiver. Also I’m sure for some like me he’s got to be consistent long-term given his inconsistencies of the past.

I think last year and this year have been fairly strong.  I think it is just his first year many have trouble moving past.

19 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Yeah, his potential is very tasty. 

Lack of development? Seth Williams isn’t progressing? Eli Stove hasn’t improved? Anthony Schwartz isn’t better?

I understand the lack of depth is alarming, but our top four have absolutely developed exactly as we’d hope. I think Shed Jackson is a rotation guy. We don’t know what Johnson is yet. The only guy I’m really disappointed in is Hill. Thought he’d be an impact player, and he hasn’t shown it. We need to sign four because we need depth (obviously) and because Stove/Herring are gone next year. We have to hope Johnson/Hill can step into a larger role and that one or two of these four guys are immediate rotation players, at minimum. 

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

For what it’s worth, Gus has set a hard limit for the time being for high schoolers and jucos for the class at 25. Looks like he wants to hold two spots open for possible transfers or grad transfers.

I understand that and it makes sense. Those slots would also be available for carryover to next cycle. I also understand that should, say, one each 5* OL and DL prospect suddenly fall into our laps late, those two slots are available and would be used in a heartbeat.

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Lack of development? Seth Williams isn’t progressing? Eli Stove hasn’t improved? Anthony Schwartz isn’t better?

I understand the lack of depth is alarming, but our top four have absolutely developed exactly as we’d hope. I think Shed Jackson is a rotation guy. We don’t know what Johnson is yet. The only guy I’m really disappointed in is Hill. Thought he’d be an impact player, and he hasn’t shown it. We need to sign four because we need depth (obviously) and because Stove/Herring are gone next year. We have to hope Johnson/Hill can step into a larger role and that one or two of these four guys are immediate rotation players, at minimum. 

Jesus, dude. You are so hard up to argue with me. Who said anything about nobody improving?

Are you satisfied with the production we've gotten from WR relative to how we've recruited the position the last 4 years or relative to anything, really? 

Do you really feel like our WRs have adequately gotten drafted and been prepared for the NFL relative to how we've recruited the position?

Do you really think that Schwartz and Williams- true sophomores who produced at a high level right out of the gate as true freshmen- are successful because of things that they learned here? Do you think that both of their skill sets have been and are being maximized?

Are you really impressed that Eli Stove, a top 150 overall recruit, has averaged 2 1/2 catches a game for his career?  I mean, I'm glad that he's finally getting more work catching the ball in his senior year, but I hope it continues as the other guys get fully healthy. 

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The lack of development of our WRs is alarming. I don't care what anyone says. We've recruited that position as well as any on the team, both in terms of quality and quantity. Whether it's scheme, skills/technique development or both, we have a coaching problem. 

Or a misevaluation problem on some regardless of recruiting site rankings.

Archived