Scouting Report: LSU Tigers Defense

WFE12

To me this game goes one of two ways.  My fear is this game will look similar to Washington.  If LSU shuts down the running game and Stidham is forced to throw the majority of the time then this could get tight.  As good as Stidham is the Auburn offense only works when the running game works well.  UCF, UGA, Clemson all proved this last year.  If Auburn is able to run and a nice balance develops then I see Auburn winning by double digits.  I don’t want to jinx Auburn’s defense but I don’t believe LSU can score more than 13-17 points on Auburn’s defense.  At this point I don’t care if it’s Kam, Boobie, or Shivers Or Kim or Brahms someone has to step up.  Hopefully the coaches use the speed of Schwartz or Stove to open up the outside runs on the jet and free up the inside for the RBs.   I feel like that was severely lacking against UW.?

25 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

To me this game goes one of two ways.  My fear is this game will look similar to Washington.  If LSU shuts down the running game and Stidham is forced to throw the majority of the time then this could get tight.  As good as Stidham is the Auburn offense only works when the running game works well.  UCF, UGA, Clemson all proved this last year.  If Auburn is able to run and a nice balance develops then I see Auburn winning by double digits.  I don’t want to jinx Auburn’s defense but I don’t believe LSU can score more than 13-17 points on Auburn’s defense.  At this point I don’t care if it’s Kam, Boobie, or Shivers Or Kim or Brahms someone has to step up.  Hopefully the coaches use the speed of Schwartz or Stove to open up the outside runs on the jet and free up the inside for the RBs.   I feel like that was severely lacking against UW.?

I think UW and LSU have similar defenses, but UW seems miles better on offense. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't score 30+, but I will be surprised if LSU's offense gets more than 10 points (not including defense/special teams points)

Well, reading this certainly doesn't make me feel all that good about the game tomorrow. However, I do think that if Stidham can make them pay for playing press man, we'll see the running game open up. I suspect that Grimes will have the O-line playing better already, with the film vs. Washington to study and make adjustments. It certainly doesn't seem an easy task, but if we keep their defense on the field for long periods of time, we may be able to wear them down since they aren't as deep as usual (according to this article, at least).

All in all, I feel cautiously optimistic about our chances. On paper, the matchup seems to favor us, and hopefully the guys will be ready to pay back the Bayou Bengals for the humbling second half they delivered last season. I do like Coach O, though, and more so than most seem to, so I worry about the coaching matchup. Still, provided that the team comes in focused and ready, I think we'll win this one in the second half. By how much I dare not guess.

Knowing our offense, look for screens early with some inside zone running just to test the waters and see how our o-line is faring. If we're getting push, we might just run straight at them to bring the LBs in and then start exposing their middle.

Wait, wait.. that's what I would do. Gus and Chip might just try to speed sweep them off the field. ;)

Every year LSU has elite athletes on the both sides of the ball . Nothing new. We will be fine. We also have elite athletes on both sides of the ball.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

We moved the ball up and down the field on UW, especially early.  Left a lot of points out there.  It's why I'm not too concerned about LSU, because I think the overall defenses are similar.

Read Greedy's hype so focused on him vs the Candycanes. He was all over the place and I don't mean that in a good way. Hopefully he plays that undisciplined against us.

Nothing surprising there, except that I didn't see Sal's name in there with regards to ways we might counter that defense. Like the guy said, quick passes to get the ball in space. Um, maybe some of those should go to the 6'5 guy lined up in the slot? 

Also- and this is definitely sunshine, but not crazy sunny- their offense shouldn't be able to stay on the field. For a team whose 1-deep on defense looks WAY better than their 2-deep, that's a problem. 

Our offense should be better than theirs, and our defense- while possibly not as star-studded- should be deeper. And their voodoo works a lot better in Red Stick. 

I think UW has a better defense than LSU and UW's offense is light years better than LSU's. I think we can move the ball better than LSU's defense can contain and will be able to throw the ball when we need to.  I think this time tomorrow evening we will be discussing the win against LSU.

It's a very interesting matchup -strength vs. strength on defense.

Like most here, I think - or at least want to think - we have the advantage on offense, but it's going to require a very effective gameplan plus good execution for that to matter.

My gut tells me it's going to be close.

4 hours ago, Tiger Scout said:

Just remember Lsu has had are number for years. They are lucky a Lot. Are defense will keep us in the game but are offense will have to win it. 

Sorry bro, but I can't let this go uncorrected.... OUR*

19 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Also- and this is definitely sunshine, but not crazy sunny- their offense shouldn't be able to stay on the field. For a team whose 1-deep on defense looks WAY better than their 2-deep, that's a problem. 

Our offense should be better than theirs, and our defense- while possibly not as star-studded- should be deeper. And their voodoo works a lot better in Red Stick. 

Their depth on D is nothing like it usually is. There is a bigger dropoff than what LSU usually puts on the field. We need to expose that today. Gonna be a hot one. They are going to have to sub a lot or suffer the consequences for not doing so.

Archived