Pass to set up the run

SKIPPER_01

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually agree. May be best bet for the season. Square pegs don’t fit into round holes. Jmho

3 hours ago, WarTim said:

I actually agree. May be best bet for the season. Square pegs don’t fit into round holes. Jmho

I agree as well. I have been saying it all season. It is our best shot to win.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

That's what we did against Washington and I haven't seen a gameplan remotely close to that since. We need to go back to it.

Digs. Slants. Curls. 5-wide and 4 wide.

The two really pretty drives we put together against LSU were exactly this.  Lots of quick shots and then hit em with the run at the end.

Even Gary Danielson was correct in saying that the strength of this team is the QB and the WRs. Which, of course, means we should make it a point to run right at a loaded box with our freshman RB as often as possible. 

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Yeah, I'm'a just go ahead and not believe a single person who says that NCM couldn't get separation. Looks like none of those guys are him but I don't think that's something to get hung up on after seeing this. 

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I think this is a big part of the problem. JS has not shown consistently that he can see the field and go through his reads. I think the O is struggling with trust issues: JS doesn’t trust the OL and I don’t think the coaches trust JS much right now either.

I think this is why they haven’t gone more “pass heavy” with the play-calling. It’s like that old adage, when you call a pass play there are 3 things that can happen and 2 of them are bad! Well, if you add a sack to the list, there’s another one. So, do we call a pass or just try to run it and hope we break it?

What makes me sick is that the angry gnome across the state is using the pass to open up the run this year.  His interior line isn't as strong as it's been in the past and he knows it, and doesn't try to force it.  He has a good qb and wr's, and so do we.

Not sure that that is something that can be taught.    I believe it is more instinctive and is what separates the good from average    

Right now AU just has average.   I believed that AU had more than average and until he becomes more, AU will be an average team.   This season will be determined by how the QB plays.  AU has average OL and RB.   I think that the WR’s are slightly better than average and on the verge of really good, but it will take JS to take a step up to playing great for AU to win out.  Just my opinion 

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Wow, this is crazy. For those in the know, is this coachable or QB instinct? 

If you have to coach a qb to sling this one, he has no instinct. Sack, no way. This is where Sean White was good I would (edited “not “ out)bet the bus Nix would unload this too. 

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

If you have to coach a qb to sling this one, he has no instinct. Sack, no way. This is where Sean White was good I would not bet the bus Nix would unload this too. 

Also this does not look like he’s under pressure yet. Gotta wonder if receivers are frustrated. I’ve been a big fan but this is disheartening.

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

we really should adopt more west coast passing attack this year. Stidham needs to get rid of it quickly and the o-line and RB core isn't the same as last year.

Yeah, I thought that was the underlying reason for him hiring Al Borges as an "analyst" last year (or year before) but I guess I was wrong.

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

If this is "normal" and not just a one time situation that happened to be pointed out, then that explains more of CCL's reactions in the booth and maybe why NCM left and Sal considered it (Sal appears to be the open underneath receiver) and maybe why Stids showed so much frustration.

I'm wondering if the WR's are getting onto Stids during the week....wonder if that's the "players meeting", etc.  If that play resulted in a sack as he's dead looking at two of the open guys, that's inexcusable.

But ... Again, this is only one snapshot.  What can truly be gleaned from that?

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah, I thought that was the underlying reason for him hiring Al Borges as an "analyst" last year (or year before) but I guess I was wrong.

Al was hired to look at opposite defenses. Not develop our offense. But chip was hired to develop qbs. It’s impossible to see this on tv. But could be very well the primary reason for our problems. They are not going to throw JS under the bus in pressers but this might explain a lot. Even makes NCM exit more of a not on coaches but qb thing. If so kinda shows his character for not throwing the qb under the bus. He knows when he’s open better than us couch coaches. 

McElroy makes a great point and maybe Gus has been trying to pass more. First 5 plays vs LSU were 4 passes. 1st was picked. Ok. But next three were on the very next possession and all hit recievers in hands. Seth was in traffic on 3rd down but I feel it should have been caught.

So it is player execution in alot of areas and they just need to keep trying, don't be scared. Keep playing and working at it.

Hopefully this offense does start clicking like Gus is saying. It usually does happen mid season so I'm gonna trust them.

The most concerning thing for me is players leaving. Sal and Kam need to stay and we need to utilize the TE.

Archived