Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I never have seen such ignorance in my life haha

You are hereby cordially invited to my in-laws for Thanksgiving.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, corchjay said:

When the players start caring about bowl games so will I... that’s my point on the bowl situation.  If they as players don’t care if we win or lose then why should I care?

I seriously doubt anyone on this board could tell me who won bowl games last year.  Without looking it up.  The playoffs are what matters now.  When you have teams with losing records playing in them yes they are so important.  Granted I will give you the one he was in that was important he lost.  

And for those that keep claiming the high schoolish stuff... how long has it been since you’ve been to a high school game? Our coaches, schemes, leadership, appearance and so on is so far removed from high school the statement is laughable.  You sound like a recruiter for bammer.

Maybe the mob will get what they want. I will support my team and coach regardless.  If Gus is gone so be it... if we bring in Coach Superstar or Coach Upandcomer I will support them with everything I have.  I truly want what is best for AU and in my “opinion” at this time it’s not right for a change.  That opinion will not change with what if this or what if that or can’t do this or can’t do that.  

So we are already counting 5 loses for this season.  Great fans we are.  So LSU stomps and embarrasses UGA but we have no shot?  aTm?  Liberty?  What happens when you’re wrong?  What happens if you’re right does either outcome change your mind?  I don’t think so and neither outcome will change mine.  

“And for those that keep claiming the high schoolish stuff... how long has it been since you’ve been to a high school game? Our coaches, schemes, leadership, appearance and so on is so far removed from high school the statement is laughable.“

You’re right Corch....the high school offenses I’ve seen this year are light years ahead of ours...

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

When the players start caring about bowl games so will I... that’s my point on the bowl situation.  If they as players don’t care if we win or lose then why should I care?

I seriously doubt anyone on this board could tell me who won bowl games last year.  Without looking it up.  The playoffs are what matters now.  When you have teams with losing records playing in them yes they are so important.  Granted I will give you the one he was in that was important he lost.  

And for those that keep claiming the high schoolish stuff... how long has it been since you’ve been to a high school game? Our coaches, schemes, leadership, appearance and so on is so far removed from high school the statement is laughable.  You sound like a recruiter for bammer.

Maybe the mob will get what they want. I will support my team and coach regardless.  If Gus is gone so be it... if we bring in Coach Superstar or Coach Upandcomer I will support them with everything I have.  I truly want what is best for AU and in my “opinion” at this time it’s not right for a change.  That opinion will not change with what if this or what if that or can’t do this or can’t do that.  

So we are already counting 5 loses for this season.  Great fans we are.  So LSU stomps and embarrasses UGA but we have no shot?  aTm?  Liberty?  What happens when you’re wrong?  What happens if you’re right does either outcome change your mind?  I don’t think so and neither outcome will change mine.  

Totally agree about the playoffs.  They reduce the meaning of most bowls.  I don't like the bowl playoff system, the most glaring reason is that it's more of a popularity contest than ever.  Plus, LSU beating UGA no longer matters.  AU beating UGA no longer matters.  We're not in their division.  It's the SEC championship game that matters to them and the playoffs.  The line between good teams and bad teams is now binary.  Your school is one of the finalists or it isn't.  You're somebody or you're nobody.  I don't like it.  I haven't considered it, but this system may foster a mindset within school administrations and maybe even within recruits themselves that will lead to create and perpetuate football factory dynasties.

It's true that I don't know who won all the lesser bowls last year, but I know we lost again.  Winning a bowl may not necessarily buy you anything, but losing does make you appear an even bigger loser or at least a pretender.  There used to be something noble about playing for pride.  It sounds like you're for doing that during the season, but losing is fine when it only serves to underscore that your team is even worse than you thought.  Or maybe it doesn't. We don't know, because we didn't try.  Maybe that explains a few things. Maybe Gus and his coaches feel that way and that's why he doesn't win the bowls.  

I want our players to win the rest of the season as much as anyone and I want a coach who wants to win even the minor, worthless, participation bowls enough to actually do it.

Gus won't be gone at year's end.  As I said earlier, all this whining is little more than a thought experiment being done in the safety and comfort of an Auburn Tiger echo chamber.  I don't believe our discussions serve any real practical purpose other than to show Gus and the PTB that Tiger fans want to see a winning team for that $7M per annum.  

12 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

“And for those that keep claiming the high schoolish stuff... how long has it been since you’ve been to a high school game? Our coaches, schemes, leadership, appearance and so on is so far removed from high school the statement is laughable.“

You’re right Corch....the high school offenses I’ve seen this year are light years ahead of ours...

Ok if you say so.  

12 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Totally agree about the playoffs.  They reduce the meaning of most bowls.  I don't like the bowl playoff system, the most glaring reason is that it's more of a popularity contest than ever.  Plus, LSU beating UGA no longer matters.  AU beating UGA no longer matters.  We're not in their division.  It's the SEC championship game that matters to them and the playoffs.  The line between good teams and bad teams is now binary.  Your school is one of the finalists or it isn't.  You're somebody or you're nobody.  I don't like it.  I haven't considered it, but this system may foster a mindset within school administrations and maybe even within recruits themselves that will lead to create and perpetuate football factory dynasties.

It's true that I don't know who won all the lesser bowls last year, but I know we lost again.  Winning a bowl may not necessarily buy you anything, but losing does make you appear an even bigger loser or at least a pretender.  There used to be something noble about playing for pride.  It sounds like you're for doing that during the season, but losing is fine when it only serves to underscore that your team is even worse than you thought.  Or maybe it doesn't. We don't know, because we didn't try.  Maybe that explains a few things. Maybe Gus and his coaches feel that way and that's why he doesn't win the bowls.  

I want our players to win the rest of the season as much as anyone and I want a coach who wants to win even the minor, worthless, participation bowls enough to actually do it.

Gus won't be gone at year's end.  As I said earlier, all this whining is little more than a thought experiment being done in the safety and comfort of an Auburn Tiger echo chamber.  I don't believe our discussions serve any real practical purpose other than to show Gus and the PTB that Tiger fans want to see a winning team for that $7M per annum.  

I pretty much agree with everything you said other then Gus and staff not caring about last years bowl game.  I think the coaching staff tried everything possible to drum up interested amongst the team and fans to compete in the bowl game neither fan nor team had any interest whatsoever.  Go back watch the lead up interviews coaches and players, decisions coaches and players, and demeanor coaches and players in the game itself and tell me who you think cared and who didn’t.

i will admit everything ultimately falls to the head coach but still stand by my opinion that now is not the right time for a change and has to do with multiple factors.  

More facts for you that’s not opinion based.  I think in Gus’ coaching career it’s either 9 of 11 or 10 of 12 seasons his offenses have been top 30 in scoring.  The exceptions being ‘11 and ‘15.  Considering the competition level he is up against in the SEC west and UGA as a cross divisional opponent nd all 3 generally in the top 10 in defense I would say offense has been consistent.  I think 4 of his 5 seasons at AU we have been top 3 in scoring offense in the SEC. Weird how the best coaches in the country can’t figure it out since it’s such a high school offense.  That’s what everyone is asking for correct?  Consistent play?  Defense was absolutely horrible when he took over at AU... here we are challenging for top 10 defenses yearly now but there is no player development?  Another thing you can say is Gus doesn’t set on his ass when he sees issues... either it be coaching or players he addresses it in recruiting (or Transfer) and coaching changes.  

If that’s ignorant then I guess I’m ignorant then.  

But I get it Gus and I are the idiots and ignorant that have and still do make a living doing what you guys criticize on a message board.  However I have always admitted I was a poor OC.  I made stupid calls and many mistakes plus never was at a football school.  More focused on baseball and basketball.  Which baseball I have been very successful and what is what I’m paid to do. As a player and coach I have been a part of 5 state championships at the high school level.  As a summer travel coach I have been a part of 3 state championships 2 super NIT championships, 1 cotton state’s championship, and a USSSA World Series championship.  Weird what ignorance can accomplish with a little dedication and hard work all working about 65-70 hours a week dealing with kids that their girl friend broke up with them, kids getting drivers licenses and wrecking their cars, being a dad, and spending about 20 hours a week in church activities.  I guess that’s why I don’t sleep.  Well rarely about 2-3 hours a day.  So here’s to the ignorant folks out there succeeding.  

5 hours ago, corchjay said:

More facts for you that’s not opinion based.  I think in Gus’ coaching career it’s either 9 of 11 or 10 of 12 seasons his offenses have been top 30 in scoring.  The exceptions being ‘11 and ‘15.  Considering the competition level he is up against in the SEC west and UGA as a cross divisional opponent nd all 3 generally in the top 10 in defense I would say offense has been consistent.  I think 4 of his 5 seasons at AU we have been top 3 in scoring offense in the SEC. Weird how the best coaches in the country can’t figure it out since it’s such a high school offense.  That’s what everyone is asking for correct?  Consistent play?  Defense was absolutely horrible when he took over at AU... here we are challenging for top 10 defenses yearly now but there is no player development?  Another thing you can say is Gus doesn’t set on his ass when he sees issues... either it be coaching or players he addresses it in recruiting (or Transfer) and coaching changes.  

But I get it Gus and I are the idiots and ignorant that have and still do make a living doing what you guys criticize on a message board.  However I have always admitted I was a poor OC.  I made stupid calls and many mistakes plus never was at a football school.  More focused on baseball and basketball.  Which baseball I have been very successful and what is what I’m paid to do. As a player and coach I have been a part of 5 state championships at the high school level.  As a summer travel coach I have been a part of 3 state championships 2 super NIT championships, 1 cotton state’s championship, and a USSSA World Series championship.  Weird what ignorance can accomplish with a little dedication and hard work all working about 65-70 hours a week dealing with kids that their girl friend broke up with them, kids getting drivers licenses and wrecking their cars, being a dad, and spending about 20 hours a week in church activities.  I guess that’s why I don’t sleep.  Well rarely about 2-3 hours a day.  So here’s to the ignorant folks out there succeeding.  

C51ACCC5-FD4A-4F1F-BE1C-7314DE55465B.gif

12 hours ago, corchjay said:

every coach loses games they shouldn’t Kirby, Saban, Dabo, Meyer

Which one of those guys loses 4 games a season?

Which one of those guys consistently loses multiple games a season that they shouldn't?

Which one of those guys regularly shows up to big games with their offense completely unprepared?

Which one of those guys has an offense ranked in the 70s in year 6?

Which one of those guys has a pre-season Heisman candidate QB playing himself out of an early round draft pick in year 2? Just a couple years after one of our most heralded QB recruits in program history crashing and burning horrifically? 

Jury's still out on Kirby as anything other than a recruiter, but I wouldn't mention Gus in the same breath as those other guys. None of them have ever seen complete dysfunction on either side of the ball like Gus has now multiple times with his offense. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Which one of those guys consistently loses multiple games a season that they shouldn't?

Which one of those guys regularly shows up to big games with their offense completely unprepared?

Which one of those guys has a pre-season Heisman candidate QB playing himself out of an early round draft pick in year 2? Just a couple years after one of our most heralded QB recruits in program history crashing and burning horrifically? 

Jury's still out on Kirby as anything other than a recruiter, but I wouldn't mention Gus in the same breath as those other guys. None of them have ever seen complete dysfunction on either side of the ball like Gus has now multiple times with his offense. 

If the UT game didn’t convince these guys nothing will...

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Which one of those guys would leave and come to Auburn (Kirby, Saban, Dabo, Meyer). As for the list.

Stoops lost between 2 and 5 games every year in a weaker conference and is retired. Franklin lost between 2 and 7 games every year and never better than 4 loses in the SEC. Mario Cristobal 32 and 50 overall.

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

If the UT game didn’t convince these guys nothing will...

But we had one great quarter against a legendary coach, Matt Luke who is hindered with NCAA sanctions. 

2 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

C51ACCC5-FD4A-4F1F-BE1C-7314DE55465B.gif

I am a simple man. I see a Scrubs gif and I hit the like button! lol.

@bg5, I hear you, but I wasn't the one saying "it happens to all guys" and then citing the best in the business as examples. 

As for your list of guys who lost games at places like Vandy and Ole Miss... umm... Franklin got the Penn State job because of how little he was losing at Vandy. 

Speaking of, he went 7-6 in each of his first two years at Penn State. I don't remember the specifics of their sanctions, but I'm'a go out on a limb and assume they somewhat influenced those first two seasons. Since then he's won 11 games twice and is currently sitting at 5-2 with a close loss to then-#2 Ohio State followed by another close loss in a classic hangover game (just like Ohio State's loss this past weekend). He's also raised Penn State's recruiting from 16th in the nation over the last 5 years to 8th in the nation over the last 2, with the 5th-ranked class last year. Franklin's Penn State teams are getting better while Gus's Auburn teams are getting worse. 

As for the rest, I don't entirely disagree, except Bill Clark. Best coach in Jacksonville State history. 49 school records. Took over UAB at the same time they tried to cut football altogether. Finished 3rd in the conference at 6-6. Finished 2nd in the conference the next year at 8-5. Currently sitting at 6-1 and 4-0 in the conference with a win over the same North Texas team that waxed Arkansas. Pretty disingenuous to say that "he's never lost less than 4 at small schools". Now, does that qualify him for our job? Not really. But what concerns me more about him is that he, like Gus, doesn't have much experience or a big time mentor in the business.

Venables, on the other hand, coached under Stoops for a very long time. Stoops isn't our next head coach- I agree on that- but not because he's not one of the best and longest-tenured head coaches of the last 25 years. Stoops is the kind of guy you want your coach to have learned from. It would be great if he had some head coaching experience, but Lincoln Riley didn't, either. Between Riley and Stoops, they won the last 3 Big 12 Championships. Riley lost in double overtime to the team that was 1 play away from winning it all last year and has OU currently ranked in the top 10. 

Cristobal had a lot less experience under saban, but it's still more exposure to elite coaching than Gus ever had. In his first year, his Oregon team is playing better than Gus's Auburn team is. I would have my reservations about the hire but if what we've got now is what we're gonna get with Gus, then it's worth a shot. 

39 minutes ago, bg5 said:

what I am saying is whoever we get we will just be mad and want to fire them in 3 years.

There is absolutely no guarantee of that- either that they'll be just as bad as Gus in year 3 or that we'd be just as mad as we are with Gus in year 6. If you'll remember, our team sucked pretty bad in year 3 of the Gus experience and we- I, especially- were willing to make all kinds of excuses for him. 

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

I don't remember calling you ignorant at basketball, baseball or overall.  Did I do that?  Or is it merely exaggeration used to segue to the 'ignorance rant'?  I don't think you're ignorant on sports.  You're in sports.  I'm attempting to explain my point of view - one you don't agree with.  

I'm guessing you like the long hours and such because you continue to do it.  Are you making $7M a year?

Like the personal anecdotes, though.  You should see my golf game.  You know why it's so frustrating?  Because I can easily birdie a hard par 4 and then double bogey the following par 3.  My group calls it the (P-BFU).  Every round is like this.  Lessons, range time, lots of play...  no matter what, for years I'm inconsistent. To make matters worse, the whole handicap system works against inconsistent players.  I guess it's lucky for me that I'm not being paid to play golf, eh? I'd be feeling some heat, for sure.

I know Gus tries.  I was being hyperbolic in my earlier post, not because I thought Gus didn't care, but because based upon your previous statements, it would be logical and just fine if Gus didn't care because no one else cared.  I was pointing out that I didn't like that sort thinking or where it led.  My big complaint is that Gus' trying is not enough - not for the $ he makes.  For the reward of a life guaranteed to be forever without financial worries, Gus should deliver success.  Where we differ is whether or not he's doing that or even can do that.  

I understand standing by our team and coach, come what may.  I love an support the team.  Always have.  But I was against hiring Gus as HC and find myself frustrated and still a bit angry that Gus and Slippin' Jimmy have boxed us in so that even if we wanted to fire Gus today we couldn't. We are prevented from making any changes by pecuniary and political constraints imposed upon us by Gus and Jimmy who played their cards for money, not for Auburn.  In a business sense, they did the right thing for them.  So I really don't feel the urge to 'charge hell with a bucket of water' alongside Gus Malzahn.  I amuse myself imagining that Gus knows the deal sowed some ill-will and that's what prompted his $2M donation to the FOC fund, or maybe he just wanted it sooner?  Who knows?

We'll have to just agree to disagree on player assessment and development.  If you like how that's been going, let's just not talk about it.

Numbers can support an argument, refute an argument or just muddy an argument.  Just as it's possible in representative democracy to win an election without winning the the popular vote, it's also possible for your pitchers to throw 3 perfect games and outscore your opponents 10-1, but still lose the World Series. 

In Gus' case, the numbers that matter are:  6th, 5th @ $7M, 7, 2-3, 5-3, >25th, 0-1, 1-4

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

@bg5, I hear you, but I wasn't the one saying "it happens to all guys" and then citing the best in the business as examples. 

As for your list of guys who lost games at places like Vandy and Ole Miss... umm... Franklin got the Penn State job because of how little he was losing at Vandy. 

Speaking of, he went 7-6 in each of his first two years at Penn State. I don't remember the specifics of their sanctions, but I'm'a go out on a limb and assume they somewhat influenced those first two seasons. Since then he's won 11 games twice and is currently sitting at 5-2 with a close loss to then-#2 Ohio State followed by another close loss in a classic hangover game (just like Ohio State's loss this past weekend). He's also raised Penn State's recruiting from 16th in the nation over the last 5 years to 8th in the nation over the last 2, with the 5th-ranked class last year. Franklin's Penn State teams are getting better while Gus's Auburn teams are getting worse. 

As for the rest, I don't entirely disagree, except Bill Clark. Best coach in Jacksonville State history. 49 school records. Took over UAB at the same time they tried to cut football altogether. Finished 3rd in the conference at 6-6. Finished 2nd in the conference the next year at 8-5. Currently sitting at 6-1 and 4-0 in the conference with a win over the same North Texas team that waxed Arkansas. Pretty disingenuous to say that "he's never lost less than 4 at small schools". Now, does that qualify him for our job? Not really. But what concerns me more about him is that he, like Gus, doesn't have much experience or a big time mentor in the business.

Venables, on the other hand, coached under Stoops for a very long time. Stoops isn't our next head coach- I agree on that- but not because he's not one of the best and longest-tenured head coaches of the last 25 years. Stoops is the kind of guy you want your coach to have learned from. It would be great if he had some head coaching experience, but Lincoln Riley didn't, either. Between Riley and Stoops, they won the last 3 Big 12 Championships. Riley lost in double overtime to the team that was 1 play away from winning it all last year and has OU currently ranked in the top 10. 

Cristobal had a lot less experience under saban, but it's still more exposure to elite coaching than Gus ever had. In his first year, his Oregon team is playing better than Gus's Auburn team is. I would have my reservations about the hire but if what we've got now is what we're gonna get with Gus, then it's worth a shot. 

There is absolutely no guarantee of that- either that they'll be just as bad as Gus in year 3 or that we'd be just as mad as we are with Gus in year 6. If you'll remember, our team sucked pretty bad in year 3 of the Gus experience and we- I, especially- were willing to make all kinds of excuses for him. 

Trust me I'm not making a case for Gus my point is only that there are very few elite proven coaches out there and non of them are coming to Auburn. Also the SEC West is a different animal compared to every other division in college football (year in and year out).  

4 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Trust me I'm not making a case for Gus my point is only that there are very few elite proven coaches out there and non of them are coming to Auburn. Also the SEC West is a different animal compared to every other division in college football (year in and year out).  

Right on. I agree that we're not getting a more proven guy.

10 minutes ago, bg5 said:

There are rarely "proven" coaches available.  Urban wasn't proven coming out of Utah. Dabo wasn't proven as an assistant. Saban wasn't proven out of Michigan St.  Riley wasn't proven at OU.

What we need to do is be able to identify coaches that haven't made it YET.  There are characteristics that every successful coache have. We need to focus on those.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There are characteristics that every successful coache have. We need to focus on those.

Great topic for a new thread bird.  Care to give us a sketch of what those characteristics are?  C'mon, it will help your post count!:yes:

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There are rarely "proven" coaches available.  Urban wasn't proven coming out of Utah. Dabo wasn't proven as an assistant. Saban wasn't proven out of Michigan St.  Riley wasn't proven at OU.

What we need to do is be able to identify coaches that haven't made it YET.  There are characteristics that every successful coache have. We need to focus on those.

Who do you trust to make the evaluations? There are a lot of promising young coaches out there. What should the criteria be, and what are the best indicators for success?

What did all of those guys have in common before they got their big shot?

Why doesn't the Auburn fans ever want a head coach that knows how to SEC Championships and National Championships very year or every other year Thefans seems to be happy with head coaches that wins an ave of 8 to 10 wins a year. Since 2000, Auburn has only won an SEC and National Championship that Auburn counts in the same year. 2010 with Gene Chizik.

Archived