Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

I hope you kidding. Ethics still do matter!!! I know we all want to win but if you get the wrong guy 5 years down the line you end up on probation and don't win for the next 5 years.

I am not kidding. I don’t mean I want a coach that cheats!!! Good grief. I just don’t care what he does in his personal life or where he goes to church. There is no moral high ground in college football.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

You make great point here. But I wholeheartedly believe Stoops would jump on a plane to Auburn in a heartbeat if offered. No offense to UK but them reaching one SEC title game and averaging 7 or 8 wins a year is their max output in my opinion. The right guy given the right tools can do much better at Auburn.

Maybe, but that's like saying "the right trades at the right times can do much better with penny stocks". Obviously that's exaggerated, but you're asking the guy to go from a very stable job where he's having success to a much more tumultuous position with a rabid fanbase where the expectations, his level of competition, and the ceiling are all higher. It's a High Risk - High Reward gamble for him, and some people are more risk averse than that. I'm guessing given his family history that he is going to opt for the safer route. 

41 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

2 points with this:

1. I don't think they're as competitive as you think, evidenced by Mike working under Bob for so long. Over the course of his career, Bob and Mike worked together for 13 years, and for 10 of those Bob was Mike's direct superior. The only "competition" they had were: a) from '92-'95 when they worked on the same defensive staff at K-State and b) when Mike took the HC job at Arizona for 7 years, after which he came back to work under Bob. That doesn't show a pattern of competition, it shows a pattern of family loyalty. 
  2. More than a competitive family, they are a family that doesn't jump around. Looking at their tenures: 

Bob:

• Iowa - 4 years (GA and Assistant)
  • Kent State - 1 year (Assistant), left for a better job at K-State
  • Kansas State - 6 years (DBs, Co-DC), left for a  better job in UF
  • Florida - 2 years (AHC/DC), left to take the HC job at OU
  • Oklahoma - 17 years (HC), retired

Mike: 

• Iowa - 3 years (GA, LB/DB), left to work with Bob at K-State
  • Kansas State - 6 years (DE, co-DC, DB, AHC), left to work with Bob at OU
  • Oklahoma - 4 years (AHC/co-DC/DB), left to take HC job at Arizona
  • Arizona - 7 years (HC), fired, went back to OU to work with Bob
  • Oklahoma - 6 years (AHD/DC/DB/OLB), fired by Bob's replacement, Lincoln Riley

Mark: 

• Iowa - 2 years (GA) - Left for the AD job at a HS
  • High School - 3 years (AD/DB) - Left for a college coaching job
  • USF - 1 year (DB) 
  • Wyoming - 3 years (DB) - Left to follow HC to Houston
  • Houston - 1 year (Co-DC/S) - Left for a better job in Miami
  • Miami - 3 years (DB) - Left to coach with his brother Mike
  • Arizona - 5 years (DC/DB) - Left for a better job in Florida State
  • Florida State - 2 years (DC/DB) - Left to take the HC job at Kentucky
  • Kentucky - 5 years (HC) 

If you look at all of their career paths, you'll notice some similarities: all coached at Iowa to begin their careers, all bounced around a little as assistants, all eventually specialized in DBs, and all of them stayed with 1 school when getting the HC position until they were either fired, or retired. Mark saw what happened to Mike when he started losing, and he saw how Bob was able to maintain a level of success by building a program and staying at the same school. My guess is that he will follow the "build the program" model vs the "it's a better job" model.

You do make some good points but I still think he would come to AU if the time and money is right.

2 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Maybe, but that's like saying "the right trades at the right times can do much better with penny stocks". Obviously that's exaggerated, but you're asking the guy to go from a very stable job where he's having success to a much more tumultuous position with a rabid fanbase where the expectations, his level of competition, and the ceiling are all higher. It's a High Risk - High Reward gamble for him, and some people are more risk averse than that. I'm guessing given his family history that he is going to opt for the safer route. 

I understand your point but if we get turned down by the UK coach then we’ve reached a new level of rock bottom 

Scott Satterfield - App St.; I think he's gone to a big school after this year...he's done an amazing job. Gary Patterson - TCU (he was interested before); Mario Cristobal - Oregon..greate recruiter..knows the SEC and Saban; Has turned around Oregon. Oregon is a different team...much better; He was an OL coach; Matt Campbell - Iowa St. doing a good job where recruiting is tough. Mark Stoops. A list to start with and they all have significant HC experience. There are several more to name.

42 minutes ago, wcware said:

I am not kidding. I don’t mean I want a coach that cheats!!! Good grief. I just don’t care what he does in his personal life or where he goes to church. There is no moral high ground in college football.

Sad!!!

2 hours ago, wcware said:

Agreed. As long as he doesn't run afoul of the law or the NCAA, I don't care if he's sacrificing chickens to Ymir. Just win, baby.

We need a culture change desperately fron the last 2 coaches who were just nice dudes who got walked on over by the players and administration. We need a culture change. Lets hire the best coach who is also a a$$hole. Who that is? IDK. I do know Jeff Brohm is freaking nuts and is Sean McVay compared to Gus when it comes to running a successful passing offense.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We need a culture change desperately fron the last 2 coaches who were just nice dudes who got walked on over by the players and administration. We need a culture change. Lets hire the best coach who is also a a$$hole. Who that is? IDK. I do know Jeff Brohm is freaking nuts and is Sean McVay compared to Gus when it comes to running a successful passing offense.

So lane kiffin then? I’m sure that would be a big culture change and I honestly wouldn’t mind him. Dude can recruit I think he’s way better and wiser than his USC days. Also feel like he’d revel in being the anti-Saban that both us and frankly the SEC needs. 

36 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

So lane kiffin then? I’m sure that would be a big culture change and I honestly wouldn’t mind him. Dude can recruit I think he’s way better and wiser than his USC days. Also feel like he’d revel in being the anti-Saban that both us and frankly the SEC needs. 

This . Kiffin creates buzz and excitement. Like I said he is a savage and wants to blister teams every week. Great recruiter and will absolutely best Saban more consistently than any other coach in my opinion. Which is just my opinion 

2 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Would not mind Lane. unfortunately I can never see AU hiring him. We only seem to hire a certain TYPE of football coach and you know what I mean by that.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Would not mind Lane. unfortunately I can never see AU hiring him. We only seem to hire a certain TYPE of football coach and you know what I mean by that.

Mediocre? 

Hell if a certain segment of our fanbase is happy with 7 or 8 wins a year and scream at those of us who wish for more, then lets hire Mike Leach...then at least the damn press conferences would be comedy gold...

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Mediocre? 

haha that as well. Maybe it will be different under a new AD but with Jay Jacobs he prioritized who would sit by him in sunday school and take up the offering more than who was the best candidate for the job.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

High IQ?

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

haha that as well. Maybe it will be different under a new AD but with Jay Jacobs he prioritized who would sit by him in sunday school and take up the offering more than who was the best candidate for the job.

I got a copy of JJ’s emergency hire list he kept in the drawer....

1. Rhett Lashlee

2. Tim Tebow

3. Franklin Graham 

4. Paul the apostle

5. Joel Osteen ....only in a serious emergency though

Where is brother Chette though?!?! does he not even get a seat at the table to interview?! lol

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Where is brother Chette though?!?! does he not even get a seat at the table to interview?! lol

Hey man its JJ’s list...I would have Brother Chette at the top myself. 

I was not familiar with Seth Littrell until reading the article. I am not advocating him, but has a good background with results. Sexton is his agent. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/north-texas-is-making-headlines-and-seth-littrell-may-be-headed-down-tom-hermans-path/

10 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

if a certain segment of our fanbase is happy with 7 or 8 wins a year

If we are going to be happy with 7-8 wins a year(which I for one am not) we should just keep Gus. It would be cheaper but as we know cheaper is not always better.

Archived