Election Night 2018 Thread

Brad_ATX

I gotta say the Governor's race in TN was fairly predictable, but unusually clean by both sides. Very impressed by both guys. 

The same couldn't be said for the Senate race. Nothing but vicious attack ads from both camps for the past couple of months. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the best outcome (from my perspective) occurred.  The Republicans extended their advantage in the Senate, which helps with SCOTUS nominees should either Ginsburg or Breyer, who are both in their 80s, step down or pass away.  But the House being taken by Democrats will bring some accountability to Trump that the GOP was unwilling or unable to provide.  

Plus, in all honesty, our government never seems to work as well when the White House, Senate and House are all controlled by the same party.  No matter which side has control, they give in to their party's worst tendencies and provide little to no oversight and accountability for the excesses.  And as a conservative, I'd rather the Democrats control the House than the Senate (or the Presidency) if I have to choose.

51 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think the best outcome (from my perspective) occurred.  The Republicans extended their advantage in the Senate, which helps with SCOTUS nominees should either Ginsburg or Breyer, who are both in their 80s, step down or pass away.  But the House being taken by Democrats will bring some accountability to Trump that the GOP was unwilling or unable to provide.  

Plus, in all honesty, our government never seems to work as well when the White House, Senate and House are all controlled by the same party.  No matter which side has control, they give in to their party's worst tendencies and provide little to no oversight and accountability for the excesses.  And as a conservative, I'd rather the Democrats control the House than the Senate (or the Presidency) if I have to choose.

That’s respectable. Get ready for an interesting 2 years. I predict Booker will soon announce a 2020 run and be Obama 2.0. 

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

That’s respectable. Get ready for an interesting 2 years. I predict Booker will soon announce a 2020 run and be Obama 2.0. 

I think Obama is a better person than Booker.

I think the one you need to look out for is Beto.

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I heard Beto rode off into the night on his skateboard. LOL

A liberal like him should have never even sniffed a shot at a Senate seat against a Republican incumbent in Texas, but Cruz barely squeaked by with 50.9% of the vote.  Now some of that is because Cruz is a worm and a complete beta - all you have to do is look at the fact that Trump still has teeth after insulting Mrs. Cruz's looks and callnig Ted's father a murderer.  But the bottom line is, Democrats don't win statewide races in Texas much anymore.  Trump won that state by about 750,000 votes and without Gary Johnson siphoning off a bunch of votes, he likely wins by almost a million.  Cruz pulls this one out by about 200,000 out of 8.4 million votes cast?

I think we haven't heard the last of this kid.

11 hours ago, channonc said:

From Bloomberg:

Democrats Take Control of House as They Aim to Thwart Trump
By Erik Wasson and Catherine Dodge | November 6, 2018 10:25PM ET | Bloomberg Government

Democrats clinched the U.S. House majority, halting Republicans’ eight-year reign as voters delivered a rebuke to President Donald Trump, according to projections from NBC and FOX. Republicans have kept control of the Senate.

Democrats will likely surpass the net gain of 23 seats they needed to win House control. Democrats plan to launch a string of investigations into Trump ahead of the 2020 presidential election while attempting to strike a deal on increased infrastructure spending.

The victory capitalized on Trump’s persistently low approval rating, which never reached 50 percent in most polls despite a booming economy.

A rebuke to Trump? That is a huge joke. I guess they just want to ignore the big influence Trump had in the Senate/Gov races in states where he held rallies and/or endorsed candidates. He flipped three Senate races and maybe two more. Obama was a flop.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Alabama disgusts me. This govna race was everything that’s wrong with the state. 

Somebody stopping you from leaving? I happen to love the results and can't wait to get rid of Jones in 2020. Also love the results elsewhere in the South.  Face it......you are in the minority.

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I gotta say the Governor's race in TN was fairly predictable, but unusually clean by both sides. Very impressed by both guys. 

The same couldn't be said for the Senate race. Nothing but vicious attack ads from both camps for the past couple of months. 

And the new Gov. Lee is an Auburn grad.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

And the new Gov. Lee is an Auburn grad.

That I didn't know. He is a good man, runs a great company and is very well respected here in TN. 

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Somebody stopping you from leaving? I happen to love the results and can't wait to get rid of Jones in 2020. Also love the results elsewhere in the South.  Face it......you are in the minority.

I hesitated on this race.  Walt Maddox would be a good governor.  He's a relatively conservative Democrat.  But in the end I voted for Kay as she's stabilized things after the Bentley debacle, no hint of scandal and I doubt there will be.  She hasn't done anything that I know of to make me dislike her.  My only issue with her really was that I thought ducking debates with Maddox was weak.  Good strategy, but weak. 

49 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

A liberal like him should have never even sniffed a shot at a Senate seat against a Republican incumbent in Texas, but Cruz barely squeaked by with 50.9% of the vote.  Now some of that is because Cruz is a worm and a complete beta - all you have to do is look at the fact that Trump still has teeth after insulting Mrs. Cruz's looks and callnig Ted's father a murderer.  But the bottom line is, Democrats don't win statewide races in Texas much anymore.  Trump won that state by about 750,000 votes and without Gary Johnson siphoning off a bunch of votes, he likely wins by almost a million.  Cruz pulls this one out by about 200,000 out of 8.4 million votes cast?

I think we haven't heard the last of this kid.

Wouldn't shock me at all if the party encouraged him hard to run for POTUS in 2020.  A couple of other things to consider with Beto.

1)  He raised a ton of money without a dime of it coming from special interests.  That's a powerful statement in a state like Texas.

2)  There's a few house races and about 10 statehouse seats that flipped blue here last night.  A lot of the discussion on that is a "Beto-effect", where his voters really helped out down ballot in those races.   That's nice equity for him to have.

3)  In a way, he's the exact opposite of Trump.  Young.  Charming.  Eloquent.  Might be the exact recipe that Dems need to win.  Trotting out an older retread will not work.

32 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I hesitated on this race.  Walt Maddox would be a good governor.  He's a relatively conservative Democrat.  But in the end I voted for Kay as she's stabilized things after the Bentley debacle, no hint of scandal and I doubt there will be.  She hasn't done anything that I know of to make me dislike her.  My only issue with her really was that I thought ducking debates with Maddox was weak.  Good strategy, but weak. 

She’s not competent enough to debate and even murmured to be on the decline from there. She might have good people around her saving her/ our ass but I’d rather have a center leaning democrat or republican who can actually take questions and think on his or her own feet. All she can do is recite talking points that were fed to her by her handlers who will actually run the state. We missed a good opportunity on a young honest man who you just said would be a good governor. Good luck ant bee. 

52 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I’ll take that as a compliment. 

8 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

This is a general statement about life. On my ballot today, I counted 22 Offices up for election UNOPPOSED. Folks, any organization that gets that much power in politics is going to end up corrupted. I think Human History and Human Character will bear me out here. Just in Decatur, Morgan County, and in the State of Alabama, when you have 22 political offices essentially being elected by a few hundred primary voters...THAT SHOULD SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ANYONE . I dont care how much faith you have in a political party or even the politicians themselves, any organization that can exist without opposition is going to end badly. We all know how humans work. We are a troublesome species that tends to love doing things we, later on, wish we hadnt done. Over time, that much power put in the hands of a few is going to end badly. And you can remember I said so.

I had the same thoughts....

49 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I had same thoughts on Walt. He will be back. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

She’s not competent enough to debate and even murmured to be on the decline from there. She might have good people around her saving her/ our ass but I’d rather have a center leaning democrat or republican who can actually take questions and think on his or her own feet. All she can do is recite talking points that were fed to her by her handlers who will actually run the state. We missed a good opportunity on a young honest man who you just said would be a good governor. Good luck ant bee. 

I think using her age and hinting at her health was a bad idea for some Democrats. She now has a full term to either make it work or fall off. We will see. 

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think Kay has been a good governor too though, especially under the circumstances.  I can't come up with a complaint about how she's handled her duties.  And I think we'll have another opportunity to vote for Maddox in the future.  

44 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I think using her age and hinting at her health was a bad idea for some Democrats. She now has a full term to either make it work or fall off. We will see. 

I think that was done accidentally on purpose but it was an issue worth making her answer and she didn’t.

She didn’t do anything to win this race except be a republican. The information I received about her fading mental health came from one of her opponents in the primary ( not the candidate but campaign staff who regretted not using it then ) 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think that was done accidentally on purpose but it was an issue worth making her answer and she didn’t.

She didn’t do anything to win this race except be a republican. The information I received about her fading mental health came from one of her opponents in the primary ( not the candidate but campaign staff who regretted not using it then ) 

I think an underrated aspect of this given the nature of the Bentley scandal and #MeToo - she was a woman.  And being an older woman didn't hurt either.  Made people feel that the likelihood of further embarrassing sexual scandal or misconduct was around zero percent.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I think an underrated aspect of this given the nature of the Bentley scandal and #MeToo - she was a woman.  And being an older woman didn't hurt either.  Made people feel that the likelihood of further embarrassing sexual scandal or misconduct was around zero percent.

I think very few  in the state or country gives any thought to electing any candidate not in their own party. The idea that anyone at all voted for an old woman just because she’s an old woman who couldn’t possibly rape anyone or dip his minnow in the wrong bucket is beyond disturbing. She never got put on the spot. Never had to wing it. Never passed or even sat for a test, even an open book test. We just stuck her right in there with nothing to go on. Bad bad politics. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Wouldn't shock me at all if the party encouraged him hard to run for POTUS in 2020.  A couple of other things to consider with Beto.

1)  He raised a ton of money without a dime of it coming from special interests.  That's a powerful statement in a state like Texas.

2)  There's a few house races and about 10 statehouse seats that flipped blue here last night.  A lot of the discussion on that is a "Beto-effect", where his voters really helped out down ballot in those races.   That's nice equity for him to have.

3)  In a way, he's the exact opposite of Trump.  Young.  Charming.  Eloquent.  Might be the exact recipe that Dems need to win.  Trotting out an older retread will not work.

He's a skateboarder. No chance. 

Kasich should run as an independent. 

19 minutes ago, alexava said:

She didn’t do anything to win this race except be a republican.

Bingo. You could run a bucket of rocks under one ticket or the other and be guaranteed a landslide win in certain areas. Alabama is one such area. Well, unless said bucket is a rapist and pedophile. Then it would lose narrowly.

19 minutes ago, alexava said:

The information I received about her fading mental health came from

Here?

Whatever. We love our Meemaws in the South. 

4 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

He's a skateboarder. No chance. 

Kasich should run as an independent. 

I don't get the "he's a skateboarder" line of reasoning.  He got 48% of the vote in Texas.  That's not a small accomplishment.

Agree about Kasich running though.

Archived