If you could have one Non-Auburn player...

AUght2win

33 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Well my first thought was Cornelius Bennet which has also been mentioned. Sorry to shoot down Tua but I thought Gus would be relevant considering he is the coach now. Can't go into why because that would be negative. Guess some are offended by that. I really didn't get your comments around Shug and Manning so that's why I questioned it. 🤔

Okay I had the years wrong so I retract that choice. Spurrier would fill in what I'm looking for. He played from 63-66, when Auburn really struggled. Also, Spurrier would have likely coached Auburn in the 90's rather than Florida. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Well my first thought was Cornelius Bennet which has also been mentioned. Sorry to shoot down Tua but I thought Gus would be relevant considering he is the coach now. Can't go into why because that would be negative. Guess some are offended by that. I really didn't get your comments around Shug and Manning so that's why I questioned it. 🤔

I'm not offended by anything. It's just you don't point out problems without pitching solutions! 

8 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Gus would have never developed him like Petrino did.

Chubb/Guice/Michel/Hunt/Elliot/Conner/Barkley/Drake/Jones/Fournette or any other elite running back over the last several seasons

Also, why a runningback? Until this season, we've been full of dominant RB's. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Whoever the best Center & Right Guard were this past season.  I wish they signed with Auburn.

Actually about 2-3 years ago 

I like, pretty much, all the names people have put here. Another name for the mix: Houston DT, Ed Oliver, He and DB paired together would’ve been amazing to watch.

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Say you had some weird, magical time-warping ability. There are a ton of other more better uses for your awesome power, sure, but let's say you decide to put it to use for the sake of Auburn football.

If you could go back and alter the signing day decision of any single college football player, current or historical, so that they come to Auburn, who would it be?

Keep in mind, the context of the time they played in is everything. For instance, don't waste your pick on Archie Griffin in the mid 70s because he would have just wasted his talents during the Barfield era.

I am torn on my choice. I think the most obviously beneficial choice for modern day Auburn would be Lamar Jackson.

He liked Auburn in high school, but we picked Tyler Queen over him (no joke). His career spanned from 2015-2017 (ironically, his first college game was against us). He would have immediately taken the reigns from Nick Marshall and we never would have ditched the read option offense. With LJ, we would have put up bigger offensive numbers than we did with Cam, we would've added (at least) another Heisman and likely played for another NC. 

Other nominees include guys like Tebow, who I think is just a great guy and would have been a great AU ambassador. Archie Manning could have also been great because he could have kept Shug from hitting that rough patch of 6-win years in the late 60s while also keeping us on pace with Alabama during the crucial time that Bear pulled the UA program way ahead of ours. 

Who would you pick?

Cam Newton.  Would loved to have had him for 3 years.

Sam the Bam Cunningham. Why? I love his name and he was a great player. 

Russell Wilson or Cardale Jones, maybe. Maybe I'd like Auburn to have a 3rd string QB that could make Saban erupt... 

7 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Russell Wilson or Cardale Jones, maybe. Maybe I'd like Auburn to have a 3rd string QB that could make Saban erupt... 

Gah. I forget how close we were to nabbing Russell Wilson. Could've won the Heisman here.

20 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

Might not top my list if I actually thought about it, but it's the first one that came to mind.

National Signing Day 2014:  Deshaun Watson to Auburn rather than Sean White.

Maybe this Clemson program doesn't happen without him.  Maybe he could have kept the '13-'14 momentum going a little better than White and Johnson.

If we're talking about uses for a time machine, I would send the bagman back a year to convince Kerryon, Pettway, Davis and Holland not to go pro.  Would have been nice to have a stud running game, a lockdown corner and an elite edge rusher around this year.

WDE!

If we are talking time machines, I go back to January 2014 and convince Melvin Ray to get deeper when chasing the gunner who ran the speed sweep reverse on the fake punt vs Florida state. 

19 hours ago, corchjay said:

Great addition to another stellar response about Gus when the topic had nothing to do with him.  Oh you left off Henry in your running back discussion... oh doesn't fit your run into the ground narrative since he had what like 300 plus carries one season... That damn Saban ruining people.

Oh that hurts so much, good one buddy.  Swing and a MISS!!!   Did you have to kick the dog around the yard for awhile to come up with that? 

Didn't want a big back that runs like your game; weak, slow thinking and goes down easy.  Thanks for the suggestion simpleton and it was a list not a discussion.  They are quite different, kinda like threatening assault and talking trash.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Oh that hurts so much, good one buddy.  Swing and a MISS!!!   Did you have to kick the dog around the yard for awhile to come up with that? 

Didn't want a big back that runs like your game; weak, slow thinking and goes down easy.  Thanks for the suggestion simpleton and it was a list not a discussion.  They are quite different, kinda like threatening assault and talking trash.

Give it up on the threatening thing... if you knew the deal you'd understand.  I retaliated i didn't initiate but difference buddy!.  

• 4 weeks later...

I thought of another one.

Tuberville signed LeGarrette Blount out of high school, but he didn't have the grades.  Think it was some time around the Ben Tate era.  Maybe a more structured environment could have helped him through those tough few college years.  

WDE!

On 11/14/2018 at 8:22 AM, aucanucktiger said:

Emmitt Smith. We came so close to key wins so many times during his college years. Emmitt came into his h.s. gymnasium on signing day wearing an Auburn (hat?) but took it off for a UF hat or shirt. After he went 0-3 against Auburn at UF, left early and got hate mail from UF fans, he told the Pensacola paper he wished he'd gone to Auburn and that we would have won a national title had he done so. We had good backs during that era but Emmitt was one for the ages and in any event he would have whipped even more butt in Dye's system & behind Calloway's line and he would have been the difference in us coming close and at least sharing a couple national titles. IMHO.

One of the first recruits I remember knowing about before he chose his college. We thought we had him. He flipped at the last minute.

Despite him not choosing Auburn I always rooted for him. Maybe because I always wanted him to have come to Auburn.

Here is the video of him collapsed, crying like a baby when he lost his last time to Auburn.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Was he our last dominant speed rusher?

In my opinion, yep. Holland was pretty good too but not as good.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

In my opinion, yep. Holland was pretty good too but not as good.

Yeah, I agree. I miss the days of the Groves, McClover, and Lemonier type of speed rushers.  I think BigKat could easily be in that mold, but I'm not sure our scheme will allow him to be.

39 minutes ago, meh130 said:

One of the first recruits I remember knowing about before he chose his college. We thought we had him. He flipped at the last minute.

Despite him not choosing Auburn I always rooted for him. Maybe because I always wanted him to have come to Auburn.

Here is the video of him collapsed, crying like a baby when he lost his last time to Auburn.

Was at that game Emmitt was physically beat down he never rushed for over 100 yards in three games against AU. I did feel for him as he was leaving the field that night.

58 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I miss that scoreboard.  Far classier and cooler than the plasma you can see from space.

On 11/15/2018 at 4:21 AM, AUght2win said:

Gah. I forget how close we were to nabbing Russell Wilson. Could've won the Heisman here.

I think Wilson was the most overrated college QB and is currently the most overrated NFL QB. Players also claimed he was super arrogant on the visit, and that the coaches kinda shrugged him off after he acted like he deserved the starting job. Remember, he picked Bielema over us...

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I miss that scoreboard.  Far classier and cooler than the plasma you can see from space.

I was just about to comment on that. I would much rather we had that one in the North Endzone. I kinda the idea of keeping some relics of stadium expansions past.

Since we got the time-machine fired up. I'm voting for the old South Endzone Scoreboard be relocated to the North.

I wonder what kind of butterfly effect would have come from that... 🤔

Archived