Serious discussion

AUGunsmith

Kelly Bryant and a actual great OC is not going to fix all of our problems (minus the obvious glaring problem in Gus). We would need to swap our OL with Kirbys last 2 OL recruiting classes at Georgia along with his this year as well to give us a chance. Our OL is absolutely dreadful and I see no way they are any better next year. This is not just a OL coaching issue. It is a talent and personel issue. It will take a few really good classes to get us back on track. Until then prepare to see any QB we have back there running for his life. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love for us to hire now former Kansas head Coach Dave Beatty as our WRs coach. He was a absolute stud WR coach at TAMU under sumlin and helped them land those treasure trove of WRs they have had the past several years and he coached Mike Evans. Of course that would require Gus to hire someone he is not familiar with and you know how he is like with that on the offensive side of the ball........

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kelly Bryant and a actual great OC is not going to fix all of our problems (minus the obvious glaring problem in Gus). We would need to swap our OL with Kirbys last 2 OL recruiting classes at Georgia along with his this year as well to give us a chance. Our OL is absolutely dreadful and I see no way they are any better than last year. This is not just a OL coaching issue. It is a talent and personel issue. It will take a few really good classes to get us back on track. Until then prepare to see any QB we have back there running for his life. 

THIS!!!! MOTHER FRICKING THIS!!!! NO MORE JB!!!HERB HAND SUCKS EXCEPT FOR TWITTER!!!! WE HAVE GOT TO FIND SOME OL AND A COACH FOR THEM!!!!

DId I do that right @GwillMac6?

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

THIS!!!! MOTHER FRICKING THIS!!!! NO MORE JB!!!HERB HAND SUCKS EXCEPT FOR TWITTER!!!! WE HAVE GOT TO FIND SOME OL AND A COACH FOR THEM!!!!

DId I do that right @GwillMac6?

grease.gif

Just now, auburn4ever said:

I could be wrong, but I just don't see Kelly playing for Auburn.

That would honestly be a wise decision for him. Though none of his other contenders are ideal situations either. Miami has the same problems as us with a terrible OL. Arkansas is terrible across the board. No talent on offense at any position. North Carolina has gone downhill in a hurry the past couple of years. Miss ST may be his best bet.

3 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I think KB would be a a huge get for us, and we would immediately be a contender just from his experience. The problem I have, is that it's a quick fix. Are we going to go looking for transfers every year? Will we ever develop a QB? That's the serious question that I want answers to. I'm sick of buying (figuratively, not literally...maybe) one good season at the expense of multiple seasons waiting on another transfer. 

I don’t think we need another transfer after KB.  Bo is the fix. I hope his reputation and recruiting help can get some more o line out of high school. We are set up fairly well on wr. Just need a top rb every year. But MUST get better linemen. 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t think we need another transfer after KB.  Bo is the fix. I hope his reputation and recruiting help can get some more o line out of high school. We are set up fairly well on wr. Just need a top rb every year. But MUST get better linemen. 

The beauty of our high school offense is that it's designed to do more with less. I think we are set at wideout, pending nobody leaves. Any big bodied running back with half a sense for the game will get 1k yards. Like you said, our line just needs to be better. Honestly, an above average line that gels will be just fine. 

I'm a big Bo Nix fan. Kept up with him a little when he was at Scottsboro. He naturally has a good football mind, and all the physical tools. He'd be exactly what Freeze would want at Ole Miss. Fingers crossed, Freeze will get him at AU. 

19 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m ready for Auburn to get right at every level, and quit seeking quick fixes. From our University Pres., to the AD’s office, to our coaching staff, the cycle of inconsistency has gone on for too long. I wish KB well if he comes, but I would prefer more permanent solutions to our issues. 

I agree 100% with you.  But I think it would take 5-7 years to accomplish this.  The Auburn fan base is too impatient and leary of the decision makers to put up with such a long process.  

1 hour ago, countoff said:

I agree 100% with you.  But I think it would take 5-7 years to accomplish this.  The Auburn fan base is too impatient and leary of the decision makers to put up with such a long process.  

As a fan myself, what I’m trying to say to other fans, is keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll keep getting what you’re getting. Bring in a transfer QB and every few years you’ll get lucky and have a big season. Or, do what Clemson did and restructure your culture and have detailed strategic plans for recruiting, player development, facilities, and coaching approach. That’s what Dabo and their AD have done there, and look at the results. Clemson was led by Tommy Bowden for 10 years, and they failed to win 10 or more games all 10 years. While they weren’t nearly as inconsistent as AU, they were known for ‘Clemsoning’, failing on the big stage when games mattered the most. They consistently underperformed against expectations and talent. Dabo came in, built a solid foundation and his 4th year won 10 games. Since they have have won 10 or more in 7 straight seasons and have been completely dominant that past 5. Now they are recognized as a dominant national power, while we finish in the bottom half of the SEC West more often than the upper half. It can be done at AU, but our decision makers have to build it strategically on the right foundation. 

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That would honestly be a wise decision for him. Though none of his other contenders are ideal situations either. Miami has the same problems as us with a terrible OL. Arkansas is terrible across the board. No talent on offense at any position. North Carolina has gone downhill in a hurry the past couple of years. Miss ST may be his best bet.

You're not wrong but I sure wish were. Miss St instead of Auburn.... wow. 

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

As a fan myself, what I’m trying to say to other fans, is keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll keep getting what you’re getting. Bring in a transfer QB and every few years you’ll get lucky and have a big season. Or, do what Clemson did and restructure your culture and have detailed strategic plans for recruiting, player development, facilities, and coaching approach. That’s what Dabo and their AD have done there, and look at the results. Clemson was led by Tommy Bowden for 10 years, and they failed to win 10 or more games all 10 years. While they weren’t nearly as inconsistent as AU, they were known for ‘Clemsoning’, failing on the big stage when games mattered the most. They consistently underperformed against expectations and talent. Dabo came in, built a solid foundation and his 4th year won 10 games. Since they have have won 10 or more in 7 straight seasons and have been completely dominant that past 5. Now they are recognized as a dominant national power, while we finish in the bottom half of the SEC West more often than the upper half. It can be done at AU, but our decision makers have to build it strategically on the right foundation. 

Coaching tree.  Dabo's underlings will be building solid programs before we aggregate our fecal matter.

We have seen a long line of “can’t miss” HS quarterbacks, (insert Jeremy Johnson/Frazier/ Nix/Willis/Gatewood et al, here)  that were going to come in and shine. None of them did so or have done so. There is such a monumental difference between high school and the SEC that it is ridiculous to tag a high school player as a solution. Can young Mr. Nix read a defense? Go through his options quickly? Get away from SEC speed?  Take a licking? Thread the needle? Throw on the run? Make things happen? Run the zone read? Does he have touch on his passes?  Were his best games in high school against the tiny schools with 200 pound linemen? Will he develop a fondness for drinking excessively and smoking pot?

The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over but expecting different results. JUST WAIT TIL SO-AND-SO GETS HERE.  

Give me a decent, proven hustler like Kelly Bryant ANY DAY OF THE WEEK over an unproven talent—any unproven talent—this is no knock on Bo Nix whatsoever. 

IF ANY DECENT, FAST, PROVEN QUARTERBACK WITH EXPERIENCE WANTS TO PLAY FOR AUBURN, THEN LET HIM. FOR GOODNESS SAKE. That goes quadruple for O-Linemen. I guarantee you there are a few dirty, nasty, mean junior college linemen out there and we need to put a big sack of cash in their mommas mailbox. 

No the best thing to do is “ Build The Program” and quit trying to make one year fix. That is Gus in a nut shell. Do some hocas pocas and win a few games then right back to losing to crap teams. We need a coach to come in and start fixing the foundation so we can grow to compete every year. If we have to sacrifice next year to get on a road to constant improvements and competing with the upper class of D1 football, then so be it. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:24 PM, AUGunsmith said:

Who is ready to see Kelly Bryant come in make the O look good, give us a legit champ contender year, then finish up with a contract extension for Gus. 

Got a cuz who is a Clemson alum and he said 'you don't want him.'

38 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Give me a decent, proven hustler like Kelly Bryant ANY DAY OF THE WEEK over an unproven talent—any unproven talent—this is no knock on Bo Nix whatsoever. 

FWIW, Bryant vs Bama in the Nat’l Championship game: 18/36 50% completion, 124 yards, 3.4 yds per attempt, and 2 picks. His stats against ranked teams are consistently average. 

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

FWIW, Bryant vs Bama in the Nat’l Championship game: 18/36 50% completion, 124 yards, 3.4 yds per attempt, and 2 picks. His stats against ranked teams are consistently average. 

So national championship stats v BAMA, are to be put side-by-side against basically our current QB statistics against any given opponent?  Sans the interceptions?  Because that’s a wash.  I would still give him a scholarship, without thinking twice, and let him win or lose the job.  I say this because of the fact that under Gus Malzahn (who I think has a lot of positives to go along with the glaring negatives) we are never going to have the type of program that we would like to have. The sooner we accept that, the sooner we can move toward actual solutions. A great year here and there. 

40 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I hear you, but at this point—- and that is absolutely what it has come to, make no mistake about it—I would take every offensive lineman they didn’t want, also.  Our offense is number 98 in the country. Defense is number 50 but they are on the field so much I have to give them a pass. The defense plays WAY more than one game’s worth of defense, each game. 

17 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I could be wrong, but I just don't see Kelly playing for Auburn.

I do. Not in the ACC, three plus hours from home, similar to Clemson (environment) and starts with a team filled with talent at the WR position. It’s not out of the question. 

49 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Well, Clemson doesn’t want him, but Auburn is desperate. We need him.  Gus has proven he can’t ruin a QB in just one year. He needs at least two.

7 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

On a side note, did you see where Auburn Univeristy is trying to secure the services of Stacy Abrams, Gubernatorial candidate from Georgia?

Seriously? That bitch is insane. 

Archived