Chip Lindsey

auburn4ever

6 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Some of y’all need to wake up from the dream of Gus, an offensive coach, letting someone come in and run their own offense with zero input from him. It ain’t happening. 

If that's the case you need to wake up from the dream that people aren't going to say anything and be ok with Auburn football being 1-11 on third downs against teams like liberty

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cole256 said:

If that's the case you need to wake up from the dream that people aren't going to say anything and be ok with Auburn football being 1-11 on third downs against teams like liberty

Yep...JMO but offense was not impressive yesterday...same stuff...dropped passes, missed wide open receivers and negative yards on rushing plays...no real improvement from the O..

2 hours ago, DAG said:

He better or the reality is he will be gone within this time next year. If he was an “offensive coach,” he wouldn’t have such terrible remnants of offensive stats. So yes, it needs to happen. Some times you don’t need input. You need to STFU to grow and Gus needs some growing to do. Otherwise, it is just pride.

Way I look at it...either Gus is gonna change or he gonna get changed. Either way it’s a win for Auburn.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yep...JMO but offense was not impressive yesterday...same stuff...dropped passes, missed wide open receivers and negative yards on rushing plays...no real improvement from the O..

Had the D and STs not made some impressive plays early in the game, we may not have witnessed a back up QB against Liberty.

20 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I was basing it on sarcasm...

Sorry missed that. Now I know how E feels. ha ha

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

How many fall guys does 1 man get in his tenure? First grandpa Ellis, Then basically he threw his own son Lashlee to the wolves now Chip. WHERE DOES IT END WITH GUS!!!???? When is he held accountable?

He’s out of excuses now.  We’ve been plenty patient with him.  IMHO, Chip is more the scapegoat for Prez Leath than gus.  PL is gonna want to try and justify is ridiculous decision on gus’ contract.  

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I too rather have Baby Briles but Freeze knows how to run a great passing attack in the SEC. Something Gus is absolutely allergic to and the worst at. His passing schemes are chicken s$%t. First you have to factor in that he was at Ole Miss a perennial cellar dweller and second he is coming in as OC not head coach. His offenses were always potent.

I started out thinking I also wanted Freeze, but like you, I think I would rather have Briles. Part of what led me to think that is the comment you made about Freeze always having potent offenses. I checked, and for his offenses during his tenure as the Arky State OC and HC (2010-2011) and as the Ole Miss HC (2012-2016), they were nationally ranked:

Arky State

2010: #59

2011: #22

Ole Miss

2012: #42

2013: #23

2014: #49

2015: #14

2016: #52

Even though he's known as an offensive mind, I don't know that I'd put those rankings into the potent category. A big part of that could be the level of defenses he had to face week in and week out in the SEC.

Compare that with Briles' years as the passing game coordinator and receivers coach (2012-2014) and as an OC (2015-2018):

Passing Game Coordinator and Receivers Coach Passing Ranks

2012: #1

2013: #4

2014: #10

OC Total Offense Rank

2015: #1

2016: #9

2017: #5

2018: #4

Could Briles have been extremely lucky and just benefited from great offensively minded coaches and he's just riding their coattails? Could it also be that he's benefited from conferences that aren't known for their defenses like the SEC is? Possibly. But at the very least he's been around highly effective offenses his entire career and knows what one looks like and how it's run.

22 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm not sure why anyone would think any new OC would get to bring their own coaches or run their own offense. Chip wasn't allowed to do either.

I was not saying that. I was saying that we will likely in addition to hiring a new OC, will hire other offensive position coaches that will be hired by Gus. Gus might let the new OC bring in some coaches with Gus' blessings. All is good my friend! How is life in Oregon? I love the Portland area and the coast is absolutely gorgeous!

6 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I started out thinking I also wanted Freeze, but like you, I think I would rather have Briles. Part of what led me to think that is the comment you made about Freeze always having potent offenses. I checked, and for his offenses during his tenure as the Arky State OC and HC (2010-2011) and as the Ole Miss HC (2012-2016), they were nationally ranked:

Arky State

2010: #59

2011: #22

Ole Miss

2012: #42

2013: #23

2014: #49

2015: #14

2016: #52

Even though he's known as an offensive mind, I don't know that I'd put those rankings into the potent category. A big part of that could be the level of defenses he had to face week in and week out in the SEC.

Compare that with Briles' years as the passing game coordinator and receivers coach (2012-2014) and as an OC (2015-2018):

Passing Game Coordinator and Receivers Coach Passing Ranks

2012: #1

2013: #4

2014: #10

OC Total Offense Rank

2015: #1

2016: #9

2017: #5

2018: #4

Could Briles have been extremely lucky and just benefited from great offensively minded coaches and he's just riding their coattails? Could it also be that he's benefited from conferences that aren't known for their defenses like the SEC is? Possibly. But at the very least he's been around highly effective offenses his entire career and knows what one looks like and how it's run.

What were his passing offense ranked though? That is what Freeze would help immensely with. Having a top 50 offense nationally every year at Ole Miss is still a hell of a feat. Both would be major upgrades over Malzahns offense but yah I will take Baby Briles. Dude is a dynamic recruiter as well. 

22 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I was not saying that. I was saying that we will likely in addition to hiring a new OC, will hire other offensive position coaches that will be hired by Gus. Gus might let the new OC bring in some coaches with Gus' blessings. All is good my friend! How is life in Oregon? I love the Portland area and the coast is absolutely gorgeous!

Yeah hopefully there is close to wholesale changes on the offensive staff. I wouldn't mind Porter and Kodi staying but everyone else needs to be employed by a different University come the new year 

And from what my brother in law tells me, Oregon has gotten worse since we left. People continue protesting in the streets. They block downtown streets as well as I-5. I don't get it. I don't see how blocking other people from getting to work or blocking people from picking up their kids gets your point across. I don't see how that gets people on your side... My brother in law missed a lawyer appointment because of people doing that nonsense. But yeah it is absolutely beautiful. One of the most beautiful natural settings that I've ever seen. But I sure like the Gulf coast better. Until we moved down here last year, my kids had never once seen a warm beach. They had never felt warm ocean water. They didn't believe me about how warm the waters of the gulf coast gets. And I sure miss being a hour from snow skiing.... But being back in the state is nice. I was able to take my son to his first Auburn game yesterday. He absolutely loved it. He was disappointed with how loud it got or loud it didn't get. I told him very few stadiums in the nation can match how loud Autzen gets. But he had a much better time before and after the game than we ever had in Eugene.

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What were his passing offense ranked though? That is what Freeze would help immensely with. Having a top 50 offense nationally every year at Ole Miss is still a hell of a feat. Both would be major upgrades over Malzahns offense but yah I will take Baby Briles. Dude is a dynamic recruiter as well. 

From his days at Arky State to his last year at Ole Miss for total team passing per game:

2010: #32

2011: #14

2012: #54

2013: #22

2014: #37

2015: #9

2016: #10

The original stats I looked at were for passing leaders, so for total team passing per game for Briles:

2012: #4

2013: #6

2014: #4

2015: #26

2016: #23

2017: #76 (they were the #7 team in total rushing this year, so he may have been playing to his team's strength? What an idea! LOL)

2018: #17

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah hopefully there is close to wholesale changes on the offensive staff. I wouldn't mind Porter and Kodi staying but everyone else needs to be employed by a different University come the new year 

And from what my brother in law tells me, Oregon has gotten worse since we left. People continue protesting in the streets. They block downtown streets as well as I-5. I don't get it. I don't see how blocking other people from getting to work or blocking people from picking up their kids gets your point across. I don't see how that gets people on your side... My brother in law missed a lawyer appointment because of people doing that nonsense. But yeah it is absolutely beautiful. One of the most beautiful natural settings that I've ever seen. But I sure like the Gulf coast better. Until we moved down here last year, my kids had never once seen a warm beach. They had never felt warm ocean water. They didn't believe me about how warm the waters of the gulf coast gets. And I sure miss being a hour from snow skiing.... But being back in the state is nice. I was able to take my son to his first Auburn game yesterday. He absolutely loved it. He was disappointed with how loud it got or loud it didn't get. I told him very few stadiums in the nation can match how loud Autzen gets. But he had a much better time before and after the game than we ever had in Eugene.

Oneonta is a nice town from what I remember. Do they still have the Horse-Pens 40 in the fall there? I think this is what it is called. I remember how much fun it was to go there. Do they still have "Little Jerusalem" nearby? That was an awesome site no doubt. I live about a hour from Maggie Valley, but cannot snow ski due to a bum knee that I am going to get replaced this coming summer. The cortisone shots still work, but do not last nearly as long as they used to. My orthopedic MD says I pretty much have bone on bone now. He is one of the best ortho surgeons in North Carolina.  He is an MIT graduate and board certified through Duke Med School. Being of a medical background, I trust him totally. He said I would be in the hospital for 2 nights and would start physical therapy asap. My insurance will pay for the therapist to come to my home for the first 3 weeks of therapy. No golf for 3-5 months though!  I will not rush it whatsoever! 

11 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Oneonta is a nice town from what I remember. Do they still have the Horse-Pens 40 in the fall there? I think this is what it is called. I remember how much fun it was to go there. Do they still have "Little Jerusalem" nearby? That was an awesome site no doubt. I live about a hour from Maggie Valley, but cannot snow ski due to a bum knee that I am going to get replaced this coming summer. The cortisone shots still work, but do not last nearly as long as they used to. My orthopedic MD says I pretty much have bone on bone now. He is one of the best ortho surgeons in North Carolina.  He is an MIT graduate and board certified through Duke Med School. Being of a medical background, I trust him totally. He said I would be in the hospital for 2 nights and would start physical therapy asap. My insurance will pay for the therapist to come to my home for the first 3 weeks of therapy. No golf for 3-5 months though!  I will not rush it whatsoever! 

Yeah don't rush it. Let that baby take all the time it needs. Yes sir, Oneonta isn't a bad place. And yep Horse Pens 40 is still there. But it's not in Oneonta or even Blount County. I'm pretty sure it's in St. Clair just one county over. Or it could be in Etowah County, I'm not sure of the county lines over there. And Ave Maria Grotto (Little Jerusalem) is still an attraction, but it's in Cullman County. Also just one county over but in the opposite direction as Horse Pens 40. 

I'm just glad my kids get to grow up here. The values in Alabama are much better than those of Oregon. My son hates it though. He is like me and likes the city life better than country life. 

On topic, I hate that it has gone down like this for Chip. He will be the one to shoulder the majority of the blame. Which isn't fair to him. If he is going to be the fall guy, he should at least be able to run HIS offense. But he hasn't been allowed to do so. Chip is actually a pretty good OC and will excel at his next stop as he did prior to coming to Auburn. 

As far as our next OC...  Freeze or Briles would both be homerun hires at OC but there is no guarantee that Gus will be allowed to hire either. Just last season the SEC blocked Little Nikki from hiring Freeze as an analyst. If the SEC blocked Bama (of all teams) from hiring him for an off the field position, what's to say they will allow us to hire him for an on the field spot? As far as Briles goes, the rumor around here was that Gus intended to hire KBriles as OC when he hired Chip, but wasn't allowed to hire him. Would 2 more years away from the Baylor mess actually make him clean enough that Auburn would allow his hire? Who blocked Gus from hiring him last time? Was it JJ? Was it compliance? Would Briles even be allowed to be hired at Auburn this time? 2 years removed from he wasn't allowed to be hired? 

If Briles were hired, does that then entice Stidham to stay for his final year of eligibility? 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Only question I have about Chip and AU..................... will Chip be employed by AU next week at this time? 

You don't think they would keep him for the bowl game?  Legitimate question.  Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Only question I have about Chip and AU..................... will Chip be employed by AU next week at this time? 

Tea leaves don’t look good for him

imo 

They need to make this move as soon as possible and hopefully name a replacement to lock in some of these recruits and possible get commits from some others.

36 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nope. Will be gone. 

I can see this, if we are going to keep Gus, he needs to use the bowl prep to install a new offense and prove it wasn’t him.  If we get Hugh Freeze now would be the time.

45 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nope. Will be gone. 

Good for Chip. Hope his next spot works out better for his career.

47 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nope. Will be gone. 

Any inside info on his replacement?

16 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

He was disappointed with how loud it got or loud it didn't get. I told him very few stadiums in the nation can match how loud Autzen gets.

Remind him this was a homecoming game for a team that has failed to match pre-season expectations. We are extremely loud for bigger games when there's something to play for besides pride. :)

44 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Freeze. Starts and stops with him. Anyone else would be a huge fail. HUGE. Got to get the big name. 

KB hire wouldn’t be a failure in my eyes but I agree Freeze should be the #1 target.

Archived