Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

His story of how he bought it. If he bought it he knew who he bought it from. 

Which doesn't get us any closer to him actually stealing it. Knowing what you know about Cam, do you think he's a snitch? I don't. 

Big difference IMO between buying stolen property and actually stealing it. I'm not going to make that assumption/accusation without some hard info, especially about a guy who has pretty much been a model citizen off the field ever since. I know Urban did a piss poor job of running his reform school down there but Cam doesn't have any history or patterns of bad behavior like Hernandez and Harvin, at least not that I know of. 

38 minutes ago, alexava said:

Why do you believe the cops were searching for something else and accidentally caught him throwing a computer out the window when the fact is they came for the stolen computer?

You're right, they came for the laptop because Cam had logged into it. Hard to imagine he'd steal another student's computer and then log into the university domain with his own name. 

I'm curious what would've happened, though, if they hadn't reduced charges. I'm guessing Cam would've either confessed or told them exactly who he bought it from. 

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2018 at 1:50 PM, chimes said:

I actually grew up with Trott and played with and against him in multiple sports. He was just a big guy who’s dad played at Auburn. He benefited from having a big frame and playing against woefully undersized competition. His older brother was 10x the athlete and I was always shocked that little bro got the scholarship offer instead of big brother. 

Jalen was a great pass catcher in high school. Fluid, well above average hands, and ran solid routes. He always looked like a receiver in a DE’s body to me. Unfortunately he blocked like a receiver in a DE’s body too. Weird how the script flipped when he got to AU. 

Bobby was indeed 10x the athlete of Tommy.  And like the Eddins' (Bart), Tommy was given an AU scholarship due to legacy even though they both played against woefully undersized competition having played on a low level private school team.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Which doesn't get us any closer to him actually stealing it. Knowing what you know about Cam, do you think he's a snitch? I don't. 

Big difference IMO between buying stolen property and actually stealing it. I'm not going to make that assumption/accusation without some hard info, especially about a guy who has pretty much been a model citizen off the field ever since. I know Urban did a piss poor job of running his reform school down there but Cam doesn't have any history or patterns of bad behavior like Hernandez and Harvin, at least not that I know of. 

You're right, they came for the laptop because Cam had logged into it. Hard to imagine he'd steal another student's computer and then log into the university domain with his own name. 

I'm curious what would've happened, though, if they hadn't reduced charges. I'm guessing Cam would've either confessed or told them exactly who he bought it from. 

If he was IT savvy enough to know they could they could trace it that way he wouldn’t have bought it or at least not logged in. Throwing it out the window is a confession of guilt and ignorance. His story just protects himself from more serious charges and keeps him from snitching.. How likely is it that a guy flags you down to sell you clothing out the trunk or his car but you need a laptop and he JUST HAPPENS to also have a laptop. Then you buy it not even knowing if it works. 

I didn’t want to sign Cam. I’m glad we did and he has been a model citizen since. But it’s naive to think he was the victim of a street hustler and had no idea where that computer came from. I’m not holding it against him but I don’t feel it’s necessary to believe a story like that to still be a fan. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

Throwing it out the window is a confession of guilt and ignorance.

Oh, he definitely knew he did something wrong. 

His story just protects himself from more serious charges and keeps him from snitching.

Shouldn't that "and" be an "or"? If he stole it, who would he be snitching on? In my mind, his story either protects him or it protects whomever he bought it from. And I personally draw a big distinction between the two. 

How likely is it that a guy flags you down to sell you clothing out the trunk or his car but you need a laptop and he JUST HAPPENS to also have a laptop. Then you buy it not even knowing if it works. 

Like I said, it's a sketchy story and probably didn't go down exactly like he said it did. Of course, he was a scholarship football player. Are we sure that he needed a laptop? Or is it possible that somebody- yes, even an acquaintance who he wanted to protect- offered him one for $25 and he said "WTH, why not, I can use a burner"? Hell, maybe it was Aaron Hernandez and Cam was scared the Miami mafia would dump his body in the Everglades if he snitched. Slight sarcasm. 

But it’s naive to think he was the victim of a street hustler and had no idea where that computer came from. 

You're probably right. But it doesn't mean he stole it himself.

So....how long ago did this incident happen with Cam?  ...and why are some people ;still arguing about it?  bammer's or dawgs trolling or what?   

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So....how long ago did this incident happen with Cam?  ...and why are some people ;still arguing about it?  bammer's or dawgs trolling or what?   

If you read a thread then you can see exactly where and why the conversation turned to any given topic. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

If you read a thread then you can see exactly where and why the conversation turned to any given topic. 

I read it and I see it...and I still wonder how to got off in that direction from "players leaving".  Granted we diverge from the OP frequently but the intensity of he discussion where nobody has the fact about something that took place a dozen years ago?   :dunno:

2 hours ago, alexava said:

If he was IT savvy enough to know they could they could trace it that way he wouldn’t have bought it or at least not logged in. Throwing it out the window is a confession of guilt and ignorance. His story just protects himself from more serious charges and keeps him from snitching.. How likely is it that a guy flags you down to sell you clothing out the trunk or his car but you need a laptop and he JUST HAPPENS to also have a laptop. Then you buy it not even knowing if it works. 

I didn’t want to sign Cam. I’m glad we did and he has been a model citizen since. But it’s naive to think he was the victim of a street hustler and had no idea where that computer came from. I’m not holding it against him but I don’t feel it’s necessary to believe a story like that to still be a fan. 

This is why you don't ever want to put yourself in a position where someone else is passing judgement over you. You roll the dice, maybe you get someone who can see how things can go wrong, or you can get somebody who thinks no matter what YOU are wrong. That's how you have people that do the same things but get different verdicts...now God bless people that are put in the judging situation and they didn't do anything wrong, but you don't want to be put in that position with real time on the line

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I read it and I see it...and I still wonder how to got off in that direction from "players leaving".  Granted we diverge from the OP frequently but the intensity of he discussion where nobody has the fact about something that took place a dozen years ago?   :dunno:

If you read it and you see it and you're still wondering, then I'm afraid I can be of no help to you. 

I suppose we should also discontinue any discussions about guys like Bo Jackson or Pat Sullivan unless we are just regurgitating stats or reporting their current whereabouts and activities and such? Since we're only dealing in facts and things that happened in the last 12 years. Or is the cutoff more recent than that?

Auburn fans have strong feelings about an Auburn player who only 8 years ago won a Heisman trophy and our first national championship in decades. And, unlike most of the mundane crap that people around here tend to get self conscious about, the entire country had strong feelings about him, too. It's still interesting, even if unpleasant. But maybe that last part is the real issue here.

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Or is the cutoff more recent than that?

I guess my cutoff would be about the time they became adults....which is why generally I'm not much bothered by most things that our HS prospects post on some social media site....having been a teenage at one time in my life, I've noticed that doing stupid stuff comes with the territory. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I guess my cutoff would be about the time they became adults....which is why generally I'm not much bothered by most things that our HS prospects post on some social media site....having been a teenage at one time in my life, I've noticed that doing stupid stuff comes with the territory. 

Totally agree that kids do stupid stuff. Man, I was so dumb. 

But I don't think the conversation was about judging Cam. It was about accuracy in reporting. Some here think that anything that is reported which they find uncomfortable is "hogwash" made up by the "bash brigade". Even innocuous comments about players who thought about leaving. 

There are some I understand, some I don't. I do understand Dean, with his injury history, he needs to get paid. Brown I understand. If you are projected by multiple sites/people/places as a top 5 pick, you go. I personally wish he would return and would be in contention for the #1 pick. Davidson I don't understand. Yes he has played exceptional since he signed. But he doesn't have the speed that the league wants in their DEs. No where close. Stidham... Stidham is interesting. If I were him, I'd grad transfer to Washington State to play for the mad pirate. He could propel himself to being a possible #1 pick if he did. That offense is designed to make a monster out of a QB like Stidham. Look what Wazzus grad transfer from East Carolina did this past season. He was easily the #1 player in the nation this season as far as yards and scores go. Tega is in an interesting situation. He has graduated and I can't see him really needing the money. 

No one else should even consider leaving as far as the draft goes.

As far as transfers... Those are harder to say. KMart should transfer if he wants any chance to be in the league. He won't get that here being RB3 behind boobee and worm. If I were Sal I would transfer. He has had like 5-10 catches in 2 years. Yeah last year he had the butterfingers, but not this year and he still rarely had the ball thrown his way. Another one who I'm surprised hasn't already transferred is McClain. And I would be shocked if Willis didn't transfer. I just don't see him being the starting QB. I never have. And after 2 years as QB2, Gus did everything in his power to sign Kelly Bryant. That doesn't exactly say Gus has much confidence in Willis. I sure hope it isn't Gatewood that decides to transfer. He has such a higher ceiling than Willis... 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Some here think that anything that is reported which they find uncomfortable is "hogwash" made up by the "bash brigade".

Yep and say things like al.com will never miss an opportunity to bash Auburn, then as soon as something that fits their narrative is posted by the same site, its #truth. The flip flopping of some people on this site just astounds me.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But I don't think the conversation was about judging Cam. It was about accuracy in reporting. Some here think that anything that is reported which they find uncomfortable is "hogwash" made up by the "bash brigade". Even innocuous comments about players who thought about leaving. 

True….I recall how it got started.....and I am fully on record that the media is not only not our friend, they are part of the opposition when they use negative pieces to generate clicks on al.com.   

They are famous for headlining an article about Auburn with a question..  the intro using worlds like could, might, if etc. to lead into some kind of discussion that has negative implications about AU.....such as the piece today speculating if one of our commits will flip....followed by NOTHING factual.  And they will definitely reach into the past for something unflattering about current or former athletes. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True….I recall how it got started.....and I am fully on record that the media is not only not our friend, they are part of the opposition when they use negative pieces to generate clicks on al.com.   

They are famous for headlining an article about Auburn with a question..  the intro using worlds like could, might, if etc. to lead into some kind of discussion that has negative implications about AU.....such as the piece today speculating if one of our commits will flip....followed by NOTHING factual.  And they will definitely reach into the past for something unflattering about current or former athletes. 

No doubt. In fact, I recall conversations where I said that the media matters and we should do a better job of managing the narrative about Auburn. Alas, we haven't yet accomplished that and even AD Greene might not succeed as long as our head football coach shuns them.

But we're drifting off topic in a different direction now. No matter how agenda-driven the state media might be, it doesn't automatically render the things they report untrue. Kam Martin and Sal Cannella considered leaving. Of course they did. 

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Some here think that anything that is reported which they find uncomfortable is "hogwash" made up by the "bash brigade".

- Brigadier General 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Kam Martin and Sal Cannella considered leaving. Of course they did. 

Probably so but why was that big news?     JMO  but at this point where would they go that would make a difference?  .  Both are close to getting their AU degree and neither are likely to play more football after college.  So get the degree, play when you get a chance and  then go about your life.   The best part is they will always be welcomed back to the Auburn campus as a former player....part of the Auburn family.    :)

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

He didn't do himself any favors to the public by looking guilty af there 

But whatever they aren't vacating crap from us so no qualms from me 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Probably so but why was that big news?

So you don't even want to talk about players who thought about leaving in a thread about players leaving? Exactly how limited should the scope of this conversation be? 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO  but at this point where would they go that would make a difference?

I don't know the needs of every college football team in the country, unfortunately.

Both are close to getting their AU degree and neither are likely to play more football after college

Not if they keep "playing" at Auburn, that's for sure. 

So get the degree, play when you get a chance and  then go about your life.  

"Eh, just give up on a chance at a financially secure future for your family because your coach can't adequately use your talents." Garbage.

The best part is they will always be welcomed back to the Auburn campus as a former player....part of the Auburn family.    :)

That's better than achieving your dreams, huh? Being "welcomed back" by fans who did nothing but question your ability to play football the entire time you were here? 

Just now, Tiger said:

He didn't do himself any favors to the public by looking guilty af there 

You're right that he didn't do himself any favors, but I'm glad he indulges the occasional eff you. I wouldn't have been able to put up with it, much less thrive. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

You're right that he didn't do himself any favors, but I'm glad he indulges the occasional eff you. I wouldn't have been able to put up with it, much less thrive. 

It's stunning how drastically the mass opinion has shifted from absolutely railing on Cam, the kid, for these allegations to now these stories popping up left and right about college athletes and roughly half the sports world is saying "well duh he took money he freaking deserves it!"

I saw this thread was "hot," thinking that someone else had either declared or opted to stay.  Come to find everyone is debating Cam Newton's situation, a player that graduated eight years ago.  :laugh:

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So you don't even want to talk about players who thought about leaving in a thread about players leaving? Exactly how limited should the scope of this conversation be? 

I don't know the needs of every college football team in the country, unfortunately.

Not if they keep "playing" at Auburn, that's for sure. 

"Eh, just give up on a chance at a financially secure future for your family because your coach can't adequately use your talents." Garbage.

That's better than achieving your dreams, huh? Being "welcomed back" by fans who did nothing but question your ability to play football the entire time you were here? 

So you are back to looking for fights huh. ?  You can certainly do better that this ….maybe....but then again, maybe not.  

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So you are back to looking for fights huh. ?  You can certainly do better that this ….maybe....but then again, maybe not.  

I'm not looking for a fight at all. Tell me what I got wrong. 

Archived